Author Topic: my early impression of the V7 stone  (Read 5420 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
my early impression of the V7 stone
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
Only a few days with the new 2013 stone and I'm loving it, of course.  As a 'returning' rider, I worried that the power and weight may be too much.  It is not.  The weight is well-balanced and confidence inspiring.  The power is very manageable, and although I won't wring out a new motor until its broken it, it doesn't take much twisting the throttle to give me a thrill.  The transmission feels new... by that I mean kind of rough... but that is likely true of any new bike and probably has more to do with my  unfamiliarity than the bike itself.  Delivery of power isn't very smooth compared to the Vespa GTS 300 that I was considering.  Apples to oranges, CVT transmission versus a brand new-toothed shifty, gradual and slow acceleration versus immediate stiff-armed acceleration on the V7. 

The torque on the V7 is amazing, almost tractor like.  Once the bike gets off the line and out of first and up to third it hardly needs much shifting in the city... except at a stop sign/light.  So far it seems that to avoid 'lurching' from a stop I just need to slow down and accelerate gently through first and second gears... once into third and beyond power delivery feels smooth and torque-rich... I've spent too much time on Twist N Go Vespas and need to resist the urge to 'twist' as the V7 will react like a bucking bronco.  (On the Vespa and other twisty bikes I tended to twist the throttle all the way out to accelerate from a stop and then back it down once i got to my intended speed... not necessary or desired with the V7).

On the highway/freeway I have all the power I need and much, much more... unlike my old Vespa 150/(190 kit) that hit the wall upwards of 65... on flat ground and no headwind and struggled to maintain speed on hills.  The V7 is amazing on the highway.  Plenty of power and lots of torque for passing if need be.  Best of all, the wind isn't at all bad at 60 -70mph.  In fact, at 40 -50 I find it rather pleasant but that has as much to do with a new helmet as well ... my old Shoei fullface RF1000 just didn't fit the same with padding degrading and falling out every time I pulled it on, and it tends to get buffeted about when I turn my head to look over my shoulder.. I could feel the helmet moving around at speed... it was just too uncomfortable so I replaced it almost immediately. 

Just yesterday, I went to cycle gear and tried on a bunch of helmets... and I wear glasses.  My personal requirements are that the helmet fit over my glasses comfortably without pushing them out of focus, that the helmet fit snug, reasonably priced, and that the helmet didn't get 'pushed around' when I turned my head at speed to look over my shoulder.  I looked at the Bilt helmets (open face, full face, and the modular styles) and all of them caused my glasses to get squeezed up my nose and placed out of focus.  The Bell helmet designs did the same thing.  Shoei's stuff was more expensive than I wanted... i was getting worried and started considering how to 'fix up' the old Shoei.... and then a very nice young salesman presented the AGV RP60 open face 3/4 helmet.  It fit perfectly without forcing my glasses off my nose.  I was snug and comfortable with a high quality liner - that is fully removable/replaceable to clean.  It was priced at 135.00... very reasonable for the quality and fit.  I bought it and tried it out on the highway.  When I turn my head to look over my shoulder, the helmet remains snug and doesn't get buffeted by the wind... perfect.

I think the only thing left is to just ride as much as possible, get used to the bike, and maybe consider goggles that might fit over my glasses.  It sucks to wear glasses. 

Bottom line... the V7 moto guzzi is gorgeous, it looks and feels like a 'real motorcycle', and is a thrill and pleasure to ride.  My wife told me, "You don't need a motorcycle".  The Moto Guzzi V7 is fine art, literature, classical music, a nude sculpture.  And Man does not live by bread alone.

:thumb:

Offline Birch71

• Vrrrroooooommmmer
  • Hatchling
  • Getting paid to shoot people
    • I Shoot People
Re: my early impression of the V7 stone
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »
Congrats! I was in the same boat as you two years ago. I jumped in with both boots and got an 1100 Griso.

I still look at the V7 and want one, but I'd look like the bear at the circus on it.

Enjoy!
I shoot people and make mom's cry- can't believe they pay me for it!

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the bike.  Re. Googles: Nannini (an Italian company) makes goggles with removable inserts that you can take to an Optometrist for grinding to your prescription.  They're far superior to the huge goggles that fit over regular eyeglasses.  You can also buy goggles with your prescription (no inserts).  I've had both and both work well.
Enjoy your new ride.
NO longer can ride

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
Congrats! I was in the same boat as you two years ago. I jumped in with both boots and got an 1100 Griso.

I still look at the V7 and want one, but I'd look like the bear at the circus on it.

Enjoy!

Ha!  Yeah the V7 is a smaller bike and I'm a pretty average sized guy... at least I keep telling myself that, lol.  :lipsrsealed:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the bike.  Re. Googles: Nannini (an Italian company) makes goggles with removable inserts that you can take to an Optometrist for grinding to your prescription.  They're far superior to the huge goggles that fit over regular eyeglasses.  You can also buy goggles with your prescription (no inserts).  I've had both and both work well.
Enjoy your new ride.

Thanks!  Prescription motorcycle goggles!  Who Knew!  I'm really enjoying the feel of wind on my face (although I do have a light beard/goatee and glasses) with the 3/4 helmet...... and without the uncomfortable buffeting of my old full face Shoei.  I'll check out the Nannini stuff.  :smiley:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »

JEez, how friggin' big are you. I'm not a small guy 5' 10' - 230ish... maybe I look like a bear on it? I dunno... <shrugs>
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
Welcome to the board.

I don't know what the weather is like in your town, but I found out years ago that prescription goggles aren't a great idea in rain or even in humid air -- they simply offer two more surfaces to fog up inside the frames. Six decades of myopia and four decades of full-face helmets taught me to buy frames that fit easily inside the helmet (and inside my ski goggles) which means a narrow frame. When you're ready for new frames (and for a full-face helmet), bear this in mind. My frames measure 130mm across. Also pay attention to the design of the temple pieces, because they have to slide in easily when the helmet padding presses your ears against your head. Finally, it's good to get a close fit around the nose so you don't get wind buffet on the tear ducts when the visor goes up at 40mph.

I have three pairs of glasses that meet these specs, all with progressive lenses: my reading/working (untinted) glasses, brown-tinted aviators and a pair of Dylan-look dark-tinted wayfarer-style sunglasses for when Guzzisto goes fashionisto.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 07:29:25 PM »
Congratulations, and welcome to the addiction. The bike's engine and transmission will loosen up over time and with continued use you'll get familiar with the bike's throttle & gearshift. Google break in regime on new Guzzis - give it a lot of stick in the early days, with a lot of rev changes through the gears to bed in the mechanical bits - if you can find a tight and twisty bit of road, all the better. It's fun, too. A Guzzi is not a delicate little flower, and not to be treated over-gently.

Once you've a few miles under her, contemplate advanced rider training - it really will be worth every penny you spend on it.

At this stage of your return to riding, your helmet choice is sensible, but with experience that may well change. Although I like to look & the feel of open-face helmets, I ride with a full face - I quite like my chin the way it is. Others seem not so concerned. The ease of fit for the specs is critical. For later reference, Shark (some models) has removable channels for specs, Arai (very comfortable) has a seam conveniently placed to take the arms. Most of the manufactures seem to have some models that work with glasses; after that the criteria are comfort, then wind noise. Then pin-lock ready. You can get clip on polarised lenses, for the sun & the amber ones for the night at http://www.polarizedoptics.com/ that I find very useful - you specify the fit for your existing frames. Very good service.

As with most of us, you will probably find that the spending doesn't stop with the bike and helmet. There's a lot of other gear out there - choose carefully & don't stint on quality, it pays in the long run. For clothing, the charity shops & secondhand places are a cheaper source - the choice is restricted, but you do get an idea of what works for or doesn't, without over-spending.

Enjoy the experience - enjoy the ride. I may be biased, but you've made a great staRT.

mAL

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
Malik, I like my chin the way it is too...

... But I like, no PREFER, open face helmets when I can. Damn, they increase the visceral experience.

The Hurt report suggests you've got a better than average chance of keeping your chin.

But honestly... I also Scuba Dive, I Snowboard, Frick, I've trained in martial arts (mostly Shotokan, but a number of other arts) for more than 30 years now (since I was like 13)... My chin had lots of exposure.

My wife is much prettier than I, but for years when she fought in karate tournaments (regional and national) she warmed up with her Marine sister by generally punching each other in the face till their eyes teared... Maybe not on purpose per say, they were both just very competitive and it would always occur, but it was a motivator.

Anyway, my Arai is nice, but my new Shark Heritage is SOOOOOO much nicer for experiencing the ride.

"Who wants, to live, forever..." (Freddy Mercury).

But even then, man, I dunno, we get one trip, I want to take fully embrace every moment.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:00:44 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

lucydad

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »
V,

I have had the V7R 3 years now, zero regrets.  Todd Haven wisely told me:  "it only gets better to 10,000 miles".  And that is true.  Stiff tranny will loosen and synch dramatically by 2000 miles.  High end will also open up. 

I have a Shoei X-12 and love it, and wear glasses.  Not cheap though.

The small blocks are a hoot, and if you wring them hard can pull nicely.  No comparison to my Triumph triple though that can be truly terrifying about 8000 rpm.

Have fun, ride safe!  Watch the sticky side stand issue.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:53 PM »
You  wisely didn't mention the reason you were glasses, but if it is only cataracts (a benni of getting old) you might consider surgery.  Glad you like your new ride, they look like great machines.

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 10:03:44 PM »

Have fun, ride safe!  Watch the sticky side stand issue.

What have you done about your sticky side stand issue?

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 05:39:01 AM »

I know what you mean, well, at least the 2nd part of your statement. I took one out for a test ride a couple of years ago. For part of the ride, I slid back on the passenger seat.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:39:59 AM by flip »
North Carolina

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
What have you done about your sticky side stand issue?

Beaver

One time, before I heard of the issue, I pulled up to a motel and had to lean the bike against a wall until the owner loaned me a can of WD40.
Now it gets greased as part of the regular once-over.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »
Around here we have flying things that I don't want hitting any part of my face when I'm riding.  When they hit my face shield, they make a loud and startling "dink".  If they hit my skin, I bet I'd have a welt for a few hours.  I'm guessing they're big ole' bumble bees, but there are probably several types of creatures that do it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

lucydad

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
Beaver,

I bolted on a little L metal piece into the loop part.  No more slipping.  And WD 40 is not enough around here. Regreasing could help, but the small blocks cook it out.  Be careful, it can be a problem.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »
For glasses my best helmet is the BBB Bell Bullitt with Bubble

Lots of air flow, the peripheral vision is outstanding and much less buffeting than my Scorpion 500 commuter helmet.  Heck I can wear my Ray Ban Wayfarers or Clubmaster glasses with the Bullitt.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:23:11 PM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Helmets should fit tightly, so you have to put on the helmet first, then your glasses.
Otherwise the glasses get torn out of position when you thread the helmet over your head.
I found I wasn't able to get my glasses on once the helmet was on doe to the tight fit.
Cut off the arched part that goes behind the ears and blunted the remaining sticks.
Now the glasses are easy to put on with helmet on, and stay in place.
Just a tip.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Penderic

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
Nice!  :thumb:

I have an AGV Blade that fits me like a glove .... well, better than a glove! Very light. Just lost a shield pivot and the replacement parts costs are almost bearable too!

I have had my V7 Classic for 6 years since new and it is a very nice, enjoyable ride - you may want to change a few things to fit your needs, eg: the right shock springs for your weight, get lowered pegs or try another seat, wind screen ....etc.  Lots of valuable advice online for all that stuff now so you really dont have to waste time and money finding out by trial and error.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »
Around here we have flying things that I don't want hitting any part of my face when I'm riding.  When they hit my face shield, they make a loud and startling "dink".  If they hit my skin, I bet I'd have a welt for a few hours.  I'm guessing they're big ole' bumble bees, but there are probably several types of creatures that do it.

We've got northern bugs galore to match anything short of June bugs but even better is the fact our roads are built with chip-seal; tar and pea gravel = Ouch!
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
As to sticky side stand.   Mine gets stiff every couple of week, or after a lot of rain.  Think it's partly engine/exhaust heat and the cast iron corroding.

WD-40 is too light.   Give the pivot point a shot of spray chain lube.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here