Author Topic: Top Speed Liar  (Read 16654 times)

jlburgess

Top Speed Liar
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »
what do you tell your neighbor after he says he went two hundred miles an hour on his race bike right before he crashed it. its a 2005 zx10r and it hasn't been out of the state of California and its completely stock but he's pretty darn sure that I'm a liar. sometimes it's difficult to tell people the facts they don't want to hear. I tried to explain the radius of the tire and the gearing pick up as not on the front wheel but he'd have none of it.  :violent1:
sure the next step would be to Google Jamie hackings 2005 AMA bike and see the top speed is probably somewhere near 185. :violent1:

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Top Speed Liar
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
Sure he wasn't looking at the metric side of his speedometer?

1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »
 Hell , he doesn't even believe that bike will run 200 MPH  :grin: Just let him have his fantasy , only fools will believe him  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:54:19 PM »
moto speedometers are always optimistic usually 10-15% and more so on the top end.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:54:19 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »
tell him you went 201 on your 8v going down to the 7-11
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »
Heck, all I have to do is ride my H2 to a public place and stop for while, and I have to listen to a story about how back in the day someone did 5th gear wheelies at 150 mph on one.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

elvisboy77

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »
I say just nod at the liar and shake your head, who cares how fast he went anyway?

Penderic

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
Dont have to say anything!

Just nod in agreement and smile!  :rolleyes:

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »
You cannot reason a man out of a position that he has not reasoned himself into.

Best to smile, nod, say uh-huh, and move on... unless you want to cast a casual glance at the speed-rating on his tires... "Wow, 200 MPH. And on 150MPH-rated tires. You sure are brave..."

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
Dont have to say anything!

Just nod in agreement and smile!  :rolleyes:

Penderic, the man with a funny picture for every occasion LOL
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
Heck, all I have to do is ride my H2 to a public place and stop for while, and I have to listen to a story about how back in the day someone did 5th gear wheelies at 150 mph on one.
Does yours have the high speed wheelie front rudder/fender? I hear they all had them back in the day........

"The older I get the faster a rider I used to be."
-Paul LeClair

Hunter (not Paul LeClair)
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
I guess it has that thing you said.   :laugh:

A stock 1972 H2 was claimed to do 74 hp.  That was crank HP at best, and when actually run on a dyno, they do upper 50s to low 60s at the rear wheel.  They were ground breaking back then, but the stories have far surpassed reality.  I also have to hear how badly they handle, when in reality they won many production stock class races in the '70s.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »
Reality is a malleable thing, and in his, he was going 200 mph. In the reality experienced by Japanese vehicle manufacturers, they were backed into an agreement with their government to limit vehicles to 300 kph (186 mph) in factory configuration. The Hayabusa, the ZX-14, and certainly the ZX-10R all somehow magically top out at this same number (or less). Even their supercars (like the GT-R and LFA) have this limit, although there's some slick programming in their navigation systems to disable the speed limiter when they are on a known racetrack location (really - saw it on Top Gear, the real one).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 06:07:40 AM »
 Two biggest lies in anything thing with wheels is top speed and MPG..
 At the one mile and one and a half mile standing start LSR tracks stock looking big bore sports bikes run about 185  mph if they are really stock. Of course smart racers always lie down the engine and some likely have stuff done to the engine management electronics..
 What Jim said the old H series Kawasaki's is so true...And the same for old British twins and the silly top speed stories.
  And the car top speed stories are even bigger lies... But modern cars do have very high speeds if not governed.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
These kind have been around a long time. When I was in high school a kid swore his father's stock 58 Ford with a straight six and a three speed on the tree could do 13 second quarter miles.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 07:15:51 AM »
I can't quite remember the quote from rob muzzy, but it was something like at 180 mph, it takes an additional 5 hp to go one mph more. drag goes up with the cube of speed, and bikes hit an aerodynamic brick wall quite easily. the person claiming 200mph deserves a whatev...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:16 AM »
That ain't nothin. A guy I know swears his Burgman will do 160 all day..
Seriously.
<shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 07:37:48 AM »
My brother likes to tell fish stories.  Relatives got a welcome break when I started taking pictures of the fish he caught.  Mike

Online guzziboy66

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 07:54:19 AM »
I did a track day (beginner/novice class) on my Ducati 748.  They encourage you not to look at your speedo - in fact some guys taped their speedos off so they wouldn't look at them.  I enjoyed my day and felt I was going faster in every session as I learned the track and what my bike could do.  At the end of the day there were very few riders left on the track and the control riders were using the the beginners session as play time.  On my second to last lap everything came together and I had my best drive onto the front strait - Wide open throttle coming out of the last turn, head down, etc...  I peaked at the speedo - 146 mph...  As I got off the throttle and set up for turn one... I was passed (on both sides) by two control riders riding GSXR 600s - both were on the "wrong" line for the turn.  The inside guy had his hand on his hip and was looking over his shoulder at his buddy...  I turned in, throttled up... And they were gone...  Never saw them again that lap.  So much for being fast...

200 MPH my ass.

Eric
The younger (slightly) Eric in NJ
Frenchtown, NJ

'14 GRiSO 1200 8V SE (I got her back!)
'14 Norge 1200 8V GT
'97 SPoRT 1100 (My first Guzzi has come home to me)
'98 Ducati 900 SS FE
'96 Sport 1100 Carbi (Gone but still in the family)

redrider

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 08:00:06 AM »
To argue with a Fool is two Fools arguing. Personally, I would call BS and shut up.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »
I can't quite remember the quote from rob muzzy, but it was something like at 180 mph, it takes an additional 5 hp to go one mph more. drag goes up with the cube of speed, and bikes hit an aerodynamic brick wall quite easily. the person claiming 200mph deserves a whatev...

In the world of LSR there are about 56 or so naked frame bikes with records of 200 mph or better.The majority are bare frame Hayabusa's with Nitrous or turbos. Some of the older records are held by nitro fueled Sportsters and even a dual engine Triumph.I believe at least 200 HP is requred to  reach 200 mph on a naked bike.
 My lSR 650 Triumph is a stripped stock frame lowered 2 inches with clip on bars and when I first started racing it had about 49 rear wheel HP and ran 120 MPH...Adding 6 more HP boosted top speed to 126 in the one mile and 128 in the 1-1/2 mile. I believe part of the speed increase was from rider position improvement.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 08:12:55 AM »
Personally, I love people who BS. The bigger the lie, the more entertainment.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 08:34:25 AM »
Personally, I love people who BS. The bigger the lie, the more entertainment.

Why back in 19 and 74 I had me one a them Z 2 Kamasakis , hell , it'd run 200 MPH , did it a buncha times coming the Muskogee turnpike , shoot , ya can ask my wife , she was on the back more un once .

Related to me a few years back by a fella at a convenience store . Hope it entertains you Cat  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »
Something about idiots and motorcycles.  Don't know what it is, but my whole life I've heard top speed stories from idiots who "used to ride" about their top speed runs.

It was particularly bad in the 1990s when I was riding a New Triumph.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »
Even if his bike is wrecked the max speed is still in the speedo.  Hook up a battery and look.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »
Why back in 19 and 74 I had me one a them Z 2 Kamasakis , hell , it'd run 200 MPH , did it a buncha times coming the Muskogee turnpike , shoot , ya can ask my wife , she was on the back more un once .

Related to me a few years back by a fella at a convenience store . Hope it entertains you Cat  :laugh:

Dusty

Great!  The bigger the lie the better though it does get hard to keep a straight face when confronted with the big fibs.  Of course this doesn't pertain to the destructive lies.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
Back in college in the 70s, there was this guy from New Jersey that talked pretty big at times but you know it turned out he generally could back things up. If I had not seen it for myself I would have called BS but he had had a heavily modified early Honda 750 and framed on his wall was a ticket given to him on the Jersey Turnpike (was arrested also at the time.) for 164mph. I would have thought handling might be a bit dicy but he survived it.
He liked adventure, as he took a VW bug across he border somewhere into Mexico to pick up some recreational goodies and returning through the border area he riled some folk that left a few bullet holes in the rear engine hood along with some cooling fins, etc. chipped and damaged. I saw the results of that. BTW he made it back okay. Hard to stop those old Bugs.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »
Hard to stop those old Bugs.
GliderJohn

Impressive. The accelerator cable would always break on my bug in the most inopportune moments.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 10:25:55 AM »
Speaking of bugs , there was this fella in East Texas circa 1979 that decided he was gonna jump a bug over the Angelina River . Printed large multi color posters , sold several tickets , built a rudimentary ramp , through a party , sold beer and BBQ , worked everyone into a frenzy , drove up to the ramp , surveyed the situation , waved to the crowd , drove back to his starting point and just kept going , out the gate , never to be seen again  :laugh:

Dusty

That could have been the same guy! I could of seen him doing something like that. :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »
It's the same with airplane guys only seems like most will call bullshit quickly so the stories are sometimes closer to the truth. Someone mentioned they are not destructive lies and that is a very good distinction. So there I was at 8000 feet .......
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here