Author Topic: Top Speed Liar  (Read 16659 times)

biking sailor

Re: Top Speed Liar
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
This is the BEST way to win. The best way to call his bluff is to "out lie" him!  What's he gonna say? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

There's a saying that "the first liar doesn't stand a chance".  Kinda fits.   :evil:

oldbike54

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »
I've known Bill and Fred myself, met 'em several times over the years.   

All the things that guys are always so trustworthy about, like how fast their motorcycles go, girls they've met on the road, bearings re-babbited in old beer cans, cops they've made fools of, how much beer they drink and dope they smoke ....

... all there in every story.

You've got their rap down to a "T"!

Lannis

I probably left out some of the details , but these two guys really seemed to believe this crazy tale . They have probably refined and added to the story over the years , and have reinforced their collective memory . Of course , the guy who relates most of the narrative also tells of working for an uncle that owns a night club in West Texas where several prominent gangsters hung out . He claims to have met and sold cocaine to Kid Rock in the mid 1970s , which seems a bit odd considering that the man wasn't born until 1971  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
He claims to have met and sold cocaine to Kid Rock in the mid 1970s , which seems a bit odd considering that the man wasn't born until 1971  :laugh:

He's probably thinking of Kid Rock's father, Old Man Rock.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Penderic

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »
Ventriloquism would come in very handy in this situation.

Best thing learned in class!  :evil:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2015, 02:44:55 PM »
The Norge can do 150 any night of the week. At 151 I always wake up screaming.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
  The Indian Scout engine was far more than warmed over. It was completely redesigned using OHV  valve conversion new cylinders, etc and all done by Munroe.....In LSR racing a leaf suspension is not necessarily a limitation

A few home made innovations, like cylinders made from water pipe, pistons cast in his garage and shaped with a file,
 he had to make his own head for overhead valves because the water pipe did not have room for a valve in cylinder design.
 He had to make his own crank pins from old axle rods because of two reasons, one he couldn't get originals any more and they wouldn't stand up to his racing stresses if he could.  He made his own racing tires by trimming off rubber from tires available rubber.
  He had to build his own fairing since none were made that would fit.  It's what you do when you start with a 1920 motorcycle that was designed with a top speed of 65 MPH.
 He once started with a British vertical twin engine and hand hacksawed the fly wheel down the middle then welded it back together changing it from a 360 degree crank to a 180 degree crank.  He was a master at home made innovations to warm over an engine.
 The modern Indian company has built a sort of replica of his scout that uses the new thunderstroke engine as a tribute to Munro.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:15:26 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »

The modern Indian company has built a sort of replica of his scout that uses the new thunderstroke engine as a tribute to Munro.

There's a Guzzi connection there. A well known MG guy was in the film footage they shot of that 'replica' bike, and there's a Stelvio that shows up in the 'making of' film as well.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss3FpDy3bD4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw3vy0JRoj4&feature=youtu.be
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
 A few months back another lSR racer, Alp, told me he was shooting  for 160 MPH in the one mile standing start on this machine powered by a vintage 650 Triumph fueled by alcohol/nitro. It an open class bike, no fairings. I though he was stretching the truth....At the Mojave mile he ran and unbelievable 169 MPH..... You can see how tiny the bike is...all home made....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
A few months back another lSR racer, Alp, told me he was shooting  for 160 MPH in the one mile standing start on this machine powered by a vintage 650 Triumph fueled by alcohol/nitro. It an open class bike, no fairings. I though he was stretching the truth....At the Mojave mile he ran and unbelievable 169 MPH..... You can see how tiny the bike is...all home made....

When you have to worry about the fork sliders bumping your hands ... you can say "Now THEM'S clip-ons!"

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »

It would take maybe 85-90 HP to get it done , not out of the realms of possibility for a serious hot rod 650 Triumph on dope . Is he running nitro or nitrous ? That long tank looks like a nitrous bottle . Bet it sounds wicked . VROOM VROOM  :bike-037:

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
You're speed-reading, Dusty.   :laugh:
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
You're speed-reading, Dusty.   :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry , flunked out of the Evelyn Speedhead wood reading class  :grin:

Hey Jim , put some REAL math to the issue at hand , how far off is my estimate of needed HP ?

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »
That depends on important things like the humidity, latitude, air density, and what the rider had for breakfast.  If you get me that information, I'll come up with some more missing information.

oldbike54

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »
That depends on important things like the humidity, latitude, air density, and what the rider had for breakfast.  If you get me that information, I'll come up with some more missing information.

How about 100 feet above sea level , relative humidity 28 percent , 80 degrees , barometric pressure 29.95 and steady , pancakes with peanut butter and maple syrup , red headed girlfriend , mom's name is Dorothy , and the rider is 5 ft 2 and 1/4 inches tall and weighs 91 lbs . Correction , that is the GF , rider is 5ft 5in and weighs 310 lbs  :grin:

Seriously , was I even close  :laugh:

Dusty

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2015, 06:11:10 PM »
It would take maybe 85-90 HP to get it done , not out of the realms of possibility for a serious hot rod 650 Triumph on dope . Is he running nitro or nitrous ? That long tank looks like a nitrous bottle . Bet it sounds wicked . VROOM VROOM  :bike-037:

Dusty

Alp is a bit shy about revealing the power, engines on Nitro don't like dynos. I do know altered  or open class (naked) Harley's in the 160 MPH class make 120-140 HP on more normal type fuel,they are a bit bulkier. I might say Alp's bike is closer to 100 HP. 750 cc Triumph Nitro drag bikes made an estimated 110 HP....... One tank is oil, the other fuel...
   As I mentioned there are about 56 naked frame bikes over 200 MPH. The first in the late 60's was a dual engine Triumph and a dual engine Enfield. In that early mix is also a Vincent and a Sportster. All on dope fuel.
 As we speak I'm starting the dual Triumph 650 LSR machine built. It'll be built in my home shop using mostly hand held tools and a ww2 era lathe... I spent nearly 5000 bucks in two days of my rider's money for a pile of junk on the floor. Triumph engines,Harley transmission and clutch,Suzuki 1000 wheels,custom frame,and who knows what else.... Total cost will be near 15 grand.... A shit load of money for a piece of paper and your name in the record book...

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
 Yep , if ya gotta ask how much ...

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
 All you guys are at least half fast.  May you follow in Burts boots as you roll across dry lake beds.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2015, 09:09:17 PM »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »
One of the triples board guys, Dave Crussell, took his new Ninja H2R there too.  It'll be fun to hear how he did on his.  His normal IOM rides include an original H2R, and a TZ750.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:58:36 PM by Triple Jim »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
  That is definitely much more than half fast.

oldbike54

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2015, 10:36:53 PM »
One of the triples board guys, Dave Crussell, took his new Ninja H2R there too.  It'll be fun to hear how he did on his.  His normal IOM rides include an original H2R, and a TZ750.

Have read a bit about that guy , pretty amazing  :bow:

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 11:52:50 PM »
So fast its a blurrrrrrr....

"That fast, eh?" :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:53:35 PM by Penderic »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here