Author Topic: New member considering purchase. Please advise.  (Read 11447 times)

Joep7

New member considering purchase. Please advise.
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
hello all, please see my intro in the new members thread.

I am considering driving a good distance to pick up this 850t. Bike is a basket case and will be a long term project. Price is very cheap.

Am I ever going to get this thing in working order or should I find a better project? I have experience restoring old Yamaha two strokers as well as riding and maintaining a modern guzzi.

Thanks for any input offered. I am most concerned about part availability.

Here is link.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/bikes-sale/25253-moto-guzzi-t3-850-project.html

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New member considering purchase. Please advise.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »
Even if the owner paid you $5K to take it you'd be better off getting something that actually runs and is not such a rust heap.  There are posters here who have done 100% rebuilds (what this will need) and they can give you the gory details.  If you are serious about an older Guzzi there was an Eldorado for sale at the Ohio rally, a runner that appeared to be in good shape.  Now, if you just want to make some kind of chopper/bobber/cafe there are newer donor bikes to consider.  After conversion the value will be much less than what you have invested, probably less so for the newer machine vs one that could be considered a classic.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline ogsurf

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:17:54 PM »
There is a Cal 2 in the classifieds for $2200, a 1997 Cal 1100i on eBay for $2700 and a lot more that would make a lot more sense. Just sit at your kitchen table and burn dollar bills. This way you can have the same feeling and not even have to waste your time going to pick it up.
TP

"What the hell is a Moto Gootsie?"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
This is a parts bike, and not a very good one of those .....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 12:24:21 PM »
If you bought that bike, you'd just be acting as a garbage removal service.

Rich A

Joep7

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »
Even if the owner paid you $5K to take it you'd be better off getting something that actually runs and is not such a rust heap.  There are posters here who have done 100% rebuilds (what this will need) and they can give you the gory details.  If you are serious about an older Guzzi there was an Eldorado for sale at the Ohio rally, a runner that appeared to be in good shape.  Now, if you just want to make some kind of chopper/bobber/cafe there are newer donor bikes to consider.  After conversion the value will be much less than what you have invested, probably less so for the newer machine vs one that could be considered a classic.

Peter Y.

That is very similar to the advise I give me on some of the other forums where I am one of the more informed :) if I was actually looking for a ground up resto....possibly a tasteful (period correct with safety upgrades) resto mod would this be a terrible platform from a part availability standpoint? I know Yamaha two strokes very well....I just don't know guzzi well enough yet to know what models and years can share parts.

Joep7

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 12:26:01 PM »
Haha alright that's the the kind of unified response I was hoping for.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
Driving a "good distance", assuming you do it in a day I am guessing 800 miles round trip in a PU or dragging a trailer with 20-25 miles/gallon. So add that to your cost. Even with dirt cheap $2.25 gallon gas you are looking at $100 in starting fees just in gas. I see nothing on that bike that is not completely and totally rusted/oxidized and or otherwise junk. It is beyond barn find and into the realm of really scrap metal. I hope this is not to strong language as I do not want to sound like I am putting you down. I think the question was should I punch the ticket?
Red 90 Mille GT

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »
I wouldn't touch that as a first guzzi project (and an experienced person wouldn't touch it at all).  There are more cooties than parts in the pile and it's priced $1000 too high.  I'd need a picture of the front of the engine before deciding if it's even the right one for the bike.  You'd be much better off spending more $$$ and getting more potential.

$0.02

nunzio

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »
There is a Cal 2 in the classifieds for $2200, a 1997 Cal 1100i on eBay for $2700 and a lot more that would make a lot more sense. Just sit at your kitchen table and burn dollar bills. This way you can have the same feeling and not even have to waste your time going to pick it up.

The Cali 2 looks like a touring/cruiser from the 80's ,but, it can be turned into quite a stunning Café type bike.

I would not have guessed it by looking at it,but, then I'm not as  talented like some of the builders that do this kind of thing.

Google around you'll be surprised at how versatile a platform the Cali 2 is for what ever style Guzzi you are thinking of building.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:35:11 PM by nunzio »

Joep7

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
I will look into those other ones mentioned. I would never touch a a run of the mill two stroke in that condition. But if I found a tz or td in that shape I would snatch it up tomorrow. I am still learning the value of these old guzzis and it sounds like they aren't rare enough to make a completely basket case worth the time. Thanks for the education.

I am not looking to build a cafe, more of a sport touring which is why I gravitated to the 850 t or t3. But I would consider other models from the era.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »
I will look into those other ones mentioned. I would never touch a a run of the mill two stroke in that condition. But if I found a tz or td in that shape I would snatch it up tomorrow. I am still learning the value of these old guzzis and it sounds like they aren't rare enough to make a completely basket case worth the time. Thanks for the education.

I am not looking to build a cafe, more of a sport touring which is why I gravitated to the 850 t or t3. But I would consider other models from the era.
Smart decision.  You'd be wasting your time and a LOT of $$$$ to get that POS back in top condition.  Not worth the effort even if the seller paid you to take it away.
NO longer can ride

Online Sportsterleroy

• Gosling
    • 1976 Moto GuzziT3 rebirth of da turd
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »
hello all, please see my intro in the new members thread.

I am considering driving a good distance to pick up this 850t. Bike is a basket case and will be a long term project. Price is very cheap.

Am I ever going to get this thing in working order or should I find a better project? I have experience restoring old Yamaha two strokers as well as riding and maintaining a modern guzzi.

Thanks for any input offered. I am most concerned about part availability.

Here is link.

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/bikes-sale/25253-moto-guzzi-t3-850-project.html

Ever see the movie the Money Pit?  Best to find a running 850 T-3 prices range from $2500-$3000ish ..  best be retired have 12 hrs a day for about a month to sort thru it and feel safe to do a 1000 mile round trip ride. LOL

Don't ask How I know..

leroy in Cleveland

Ps really I am a glutton for punishment and got a Convert too. Look at what to expect from a running bike in my shutterfly links below
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:29:12 PM by Sportsterleroy »
Leroy
Cleveland Ohio
1977 Moto Guzzi Convert
1976 Moto Guzzi 850 T3
2006 Harley Road glide
1996 Harley Sportster 1200
http://977motoguzziconvertproject.shutterfly.com/
http://1976motoguzzit3rebirthofdaturd.shutterfly.com/

F-Man

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »
I got a kick out of the seller's statement, "The shady italian guys at Moto Guzzi built a replica Honda."  Hopefully this was said in jest.

I might give $50 for this, if I didn't have to drive more than a few minutes to get it, just to pick through the parts and save anything of use which I might use later.  I wouldn't try to use it as a base for a restoration.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »
I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for the title and haul the rest away for free.

Looking at the bike in its current state you easily spend $4,000 getting it up and running probably a lot more once you opened the motor, transmission and read drive. It certainly isn't beyond the point of no return but it will take a bathtub full of cast to get it sorted.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
I would say better used as a boat anchor.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Joep7

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »
I got a kick out of the seller's statement, "The shady italian guys at Moto Guzzi built a replica Honda."  Hopefully this was said in jest.

I might give $50 for this, if I didn't have to drive more than a few minutes to get it, just to pick through the parts and save anything of use which I might use later.  I wouldn't try to use it as a base for a restoration.

He was joking. You wouldn't believe the morons we run into at that site. Lots of bandwagon hipsters who have no clue.

I agree....and there's nothing more expensive than a free motorcycle. I am definitely not a noob. Like I said, I just don't know the value of these things yet.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
He was joking. You wouldn't believe the morons we run into at that site. Lots of bandwagon hipsters who have no clue.

I agree....and there's nothing more expensive than a free motorcycle. I am definitely not a noob. Like I said, I just don't know the value of these things yet.

Here's something instructive you could do in preparation for a Guzzi restoration -

Peruse this thread -

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69343.0

Excellent pictorial story and excellent examples of things you'll find down in a Guzzi (altho this one is a small-block) and how it's dealt with .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
I'm building an 850T from less than what was in the picture you shared.  It does cost way more $$$$ than a good running bike, but if the bike ever fails I know where to point the finger at :)   It's a sickness I caught from my brother and his friends

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 01:53:40 PM »
As has been said, the bike you're considering is a parts bike. And some of the worthwhile parts are already gone (headlight, bags, etc.). For someone in need of a parts bike or donor, this might be worth a hundred dollars or two. As a restoration project, free is too expensive. And it only gets worse if you spend a day or so driving to fetch it.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
If money is not a problem , go get it.
If you want to play with a bike and still be on a budget , you better off buy something decent and just modify it aesthetically to get where you willing to go.
Plenty of fishes in the sea.
good luck

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/5135812051.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5164155426.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5190302937.html

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5146163541.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/5193280828.html

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/mcy/5145991639.html

Joep7

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
Here's something instructive you could do in preparation for a Guzzi restoration -

Peruse this thread -

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69343.0

Excellent pictorial story and excellent examples of things you'll find down in a Guzzi (altho this one is a small-block) and how it's dealt with .....

Lannis

Thanks for the link. Appreciated.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
Thanks for the link. Appreciated.

I've mentioned before that sometimes free is too much. This is another of those..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Joep7

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »
I've mentioned before that sometimes free is too much. This is another of those..  :smiley:

Thanks chuck. Where ya from? :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:51:20 PM by Joep7 »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 05:29:04 PM »
. Bike is a basket case and will be a long term project. 

Understatement of the month! 

welcome to WG.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

73guzzeldorado

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 05:52:42 PM »
Joep7

Welcome to WG
I started out thinking the same thing. My 73 ELDO WAS A RUSTY leaking, but rideable hulk.

14 months and 16 grand later here it is.{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInter face-Regular;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red71\green71\blue71;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}

Now after 10,000 miles I still love it, however, it is now for sale for 8800.00. Bad right arm says I cannot pull the front brake

I know I went over the top with the build, very easy to get carried away

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 05:53:11 PM »
Kent beat me to it.  It looks like it has been used as an anchor on a shrimp boat.  But then some people like restoring shrimp boat anchors....

Joep7

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »
Joep7

Welcome to WG
I started out thinking the same thing. My 73 ELDO WAS A RUSTY leaking, but rideable hulk.

14 months and 16 grand later here it is.{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInter face-Regular;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red71\green71\blue71;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs22 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}

Now after 10,000 miles I still love it, however, it is now for sale for 8800.00. Bad right arm says I cannot pull the front brake

I know I went over the top with the build, very easy to get carried away

Beautiful. I wish I could just buy it from you. Amazing job on the restoration. Sorry you can't keep enjoying it.

Joep7

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »
Might want to check out a one owner v7 sport listed in the swap section.

I'll check that out thanks.

canuguzzi

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »
Project motor vehicles, regardless of the kind, unless there is an established collector base or it is a flip condition thing, aren't investments in any sense of the word. Even if you manage to recover the materials costs, as an investment you must also recoup labor costs, including your own. If you just like rebuilding things, its a hobby, not an investment.

I think the OP was asking about difficulty and the availability of materials and parts, not to see if he was going to get his money back or even turn a profit.

What is a royal pain and misery to one person is pure joy to another.  It might cost many thousands more than it would be worth in a sale but just how many Moto Guzzis are there that appreciate in value even in garaged condition?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here