Author Topic: Safety from Ragers ?  (Read 16071 times)

oldbike54

Re: Safety from Ragers ?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »
  Do deer eat snipers?

Might take some selective breeding  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2015, 05:50:27 PM »
Maybe instead of stopping she could have accelerated and got out of his way?  Or turned instead of insisting on driving right by the deer? Or made some noise? 

So what is your solution?  Stop riding?  Tuck your head and hope for the best?  Please let's do better than that..

Maybe accelerating the deer would have run in front of her.  If she honked he would have rammed her.  Just don't know what will happen.  Turn around?  Give me a break.

I just thought cause you were so knowledgeable you'd have a surefire method for avoiding such a mishap.  I guess I was mistaken.

Nope, my solution is to ride and drive.  Haven't been hit yet.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »
Very timely!  I was returning home in my cage about 6pm this evening, when a rather large deer popped into the road directly in my line (and decided to stand there for a moment) so close that braking brought ABS into play.  I'm still braking hard, anticipating more deer to follow.  The biggest problem, however, was the car behind me, that obviously wasn't watching much of what was taking place in front of him, and he damned near hit me in the back end as I quickly slowed to avoid hitting the deer.

I began to wonder if the driver behind me had ever observed that when one deer crosses the road, often the rest of the family is close behind.

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
Maybe accelerating the deer would have run in front of her.  If she honked he would have rammed her.  Just don't know what will happen.  Turn around?  Give me a break.

I just thought cause you were so knowledgeable you'd have a surefire method for avoiding such a mishap.  I guess I was mistaken.

Nope, my solution is to ride and drive.  Haven't been hit yet.

Umm, he did ram her..  lol
Good luck to you.  in the end the solution is alertness and preparedness with skills.  On this I am sure we agree.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
I have to deal with this guy and his relations on a daily basis. They like to stand in the middle of the road and dare you to make them move.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2015, 10:43:42 PM »
I have to deal with this guy and his relations on a daily basis. They like to stand in the middle of the road and dare you to make them move.
Dealing with those guys is easy..  whatever they want they get..  lol

Back in the day in Maine a buddy of mine had a runin with a moose.  My buddy was driving a VW minivan.  The moose was standing in the middle of the only road to where they were going.  They stopped the minivan and waited a while and the Moose ignored them. They blinked the headlights and the moose took notice and squared off.  Not knowing what else to do my buddy honked the horn.  Bad move, a VW horn must say something exceedingly bad in moose speak because the moose dropped his head charged and center punched the van between the headlights.  this knocked the moose cold and folded in the front of the van almost to the seats. 
After a few minutes the moose got up, shook his head and ambled off in no great hurry wherupon the folks in the minivan called a towtruck.

I have no idea what i would have done in the same situation. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2015, 08:22:36 AM »
....2) A retread blowing off the truck you are passing....
NOW you've hit on a favorite peeve of mine.  This is a risk that can be totally eliminated by banning retreads.  The highways around where I live are littered with these rubber missiles.  I think my odds of being taken out by one of these is much greater than hitting a deer.  There have been various proposals to ban retreads, but most have fallen victim to the retread industry (typical American way of legislation).  Perhaps if retread companies would get sued more often and have to start paying serious money for their dangerous products, things would change (again, typical American way of changing the law).  I'm not holding my breath.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here