Author Topic: Let's Ride Book by Sonny Barger -Don't Buy Italian  (Read 10951 times)

Offline LeakyLogic

• New Egg
Let's Ride Book by Sonny Barger -Don't Buy Italian
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »
I heard some good reviews on the book, 'Let's Ride: Sonny Barger's Guide to Motorcycling' so I purchased it. The book was written in 2010. I got to page 40 in the inline triples section and he bashes Italian motorcycles quality and factory workers. I would think he has some street credit, but I don't buy his logic because it may be an outdated view. I am partial to MG because of their engineering and ease of self-maintenance and repair, not to mention the community and the experience they provide. Surely this forum speaks volumes about their positive design and construction. I mention his book because I would like to know how many Guzzi fans have read the book and their opinions regarding his dislikes of MG, He also doesn't seem like HD and has positively promoted Victory.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Let's Ride Book by Sonny Barger -Don't Buy Italian
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:40 AM »
Sonny Barger can write?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:06:13 AM »
Sonny Barger can write?

Drug kingpin, extortionist, murderer and now author!

I don't see mechanical engineer on his resume so I will discount his remarks on Guzzi.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »
"Sonny Barger remains an active member of the Hells Angels in the Cave Creek Chapter having moved there from Oakland in 1998. He has owned 10 to 12 motorcycles throughout his life."

Only 10 to 12?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
 Truth is , Sonny Barger is full of poop . The guy relied on others to build his bikes , and do his dirty work . Once heard him say in an interview around '99 , "Yeah , my new Harleys , man , it'll just cruise at 100 MPH all day , no problem" .

Dusty

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
Many people write about things that they do not know first hand.

One key aspect with motorcycles is that different people have very different opinions and approaches to machines and life in general. 

People who buy new cars every two or three years, do not know how to use a screwdriver, get all their service work done by a dealer, and expect complete reliability and ease of use.  Probably get Honda and be happy.  Would not even like Harley.  Generally dull people, often with intolerance for others.  Italian anything is bad.  Good Japanese brands are very good.  BMW cars and bikes are good.

People who buy used US brand cars mostly, who expect to have things need maintenance and work sometimes, but who don't do any of the work and don't understand machines well, and who like very conventional things.  They'll get Japanese bikes, probably cruisers and standards, maybe touring, and will get on board the Harley $400/month probably, have a dealer or independent do everything and have a Harley as their only new vehicle.  Or will buy used and put up with it.  They'll do a bit of research.  Scared of Italian bikes of 1980 still.

Like interesting cars, know quite a bit about machines, can't afford the money or risk of a cool car, likes bikes, gets a Ducati or Guzzi and does some stuff on it.  Tolerates the quirky.  Laughs at Harleys.

Motorheads who always, even in suits, have just a touch of grease somewhere, pictures of themselves grinning covered in grease standing in a shop at 5 years old, changing an engine with family at 30, have owned/worked on XYZ cars and bikes.  Looks for feel, coolness, loves quirky, wants one of everything just to have it cuz it's cool, has 30 bikes and cars.  They'll be Italian stuff in there.  And a shovelhead.

Motorheads who grew up on Brit sports cars, love Italian design, love Harley macho weird, love Japanese machinery and design, love cool, gets the one that sings to them, enjoys the quirky.

So anyone in the first category is going to have a bad opinion of Italian bikes.  Anyone with aesthetic sensibilities is going to enjoy looking at and understanding Italian bikes, understanding what Harley is about, is probably going to enjoy the old Valkyrie looks, etc.  Especially if they can't really ride.

If Barger is an asshole and in the first couple, he will bash a few things and not be shy about it.  Can't see how he would get any cred from cognizant motorcyclists for an ill-informed opinion.

I notice the fake pirates will look from afar, the real bikers of any brand are all over the 1400. 

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
Truth is , Sonny Barger is full of poop . The guy relied on others to build his bikes , and do his dirty work . Once heard him say in an interview around '99 , "Yeah , my new Harleys , man , it'll just cruise at 100 MPH all day , no problem" .

Dusty

Maybe his bike has a metric speedo and he mistook MPH for KPH :evil:
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
...He also doesn't seem like HD and has positively promoted Victory.

I read that he got his Victory from Arlen Ness for $1.  Sounds to me like a paid promotion deal with a middleman so Victory doesn't have to admit it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »
+ 1 on all previous , and: he is  the same guy who said in a SF  City Bike interview years ago that, if it weren't for the image,(sponsorship?) and other assorted reasons , he would ride a Honda....
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 09:59:02 AM »
Maybe his bike has a metric speedo and he mistook MPH for KPH :evil:

:laugh:

+ 1 on all previous , and: he is  the same guy who said in a SF  City Bike interview years ago that, if it weren't for the image,(sponsorship?) and other assorted reasons , he would ride a Honda....

Yeah , being full of poop does not preclude intelligence

I read that he got his Victory from Arlen Ness for $1.  Sounds to me like a paid promotion deal with a middleman so Victory doesn't have to admit it.

In the good doctors book on the HA's , Thompson states that Barger , more than anything else , is an opportunistic politician.

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
Why would anyone care what SB had to say?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
   :laugh:

Yeah , being full of poop does not preclude intelligence

In the good doctors book on the HA's , Thompson states that Barger , more than anything else , is an opportunistic politician.

Dusty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyu44rsaZo
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »

I enjoyed that book.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »

Dusty

Probably required for the job.  I've been watching some of the episodes of "Outlaw Chronicles" on History Channel.

Interesting insight from the former honcho of the Ventura chapter.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
Many people write about things that they do not know first hand......
People who buy new cars every two or three years, do not know how to use a screwdriver, get all their service work done by a dealer, and expect complete reliability and ease of use.  Probably get Honda and be happy.  Would not even like Harley.  Generally dull people, often with intolerance for others......
Like interesting cars, know quite a bit about machines, can't afford the money or risk of a cool car, likes bikes, gets a Ducati or Guzzi and does some stuff on it.  Tolerates the quirky.  Laughs at Harleys.....
Etc., etc.
I think this opinionating is as biased and uninformed as Sonny Barger's.
There are folks out there who are in one category about cars and in another category about motorcycles.  Myself, for example.  For a car, I drive a Prius because it's very reliable and inexpensive to drive, and I have zero interest in maintaining it myself.  For a motorcycle, I'm on my second Moto Guzzi, I do all the maintenance myself, and I'm very technically aware of how everything on it works.
I have no opinion about Harleys, although I do have strong views about SOME Harley riders.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:18:59 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
I enjoyed that book.

It was a great book

Probably required for the job.  I've been watching some of the episodes of "Outlaw Chronicles" on History Channel.

Interesting insight from the former honcho of the Ventura chapter.

The whole outlaw thing is an interesting study in psychology , they represent the worst in human behavior , in fact , they revel in their baddassery . Funny thing is , most of the types drawn to that lifestyle are looking for someone to map out their lives , what MC to ride , when to poop , how to act . Kind of like a college fraternity gone weird  :evil:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
Why would anyone care what SB had to say?

Because so many people, with dull, unfulfilled, controlled little lives see him as an admirable, tough, independent role model, their ideal of a Free, In The Wind, etc etc ....

Kind of pathetic.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

canuguzzi

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
There are folks out there who are in one category about cars and in another category about motorcycles.  Myself, for example.  For a car, I drive a Prius because it's very reliable and inexpensive to drive, and I have zero interest in maintaining it myself.  For a motorcycle, I'm on my second Moto Guzzi, I do all the maintenance myself, and I'm very technically aware of how everything on it works.
I have no opinion about Harleys, although I do have strong views about SOME Harley riders.

:thumb:

The choice to ride or drive a particular brand or model if anything is just that, a choice. Choosing to maintain a car or motorcycle is also a choice and maintaining it yourself shouldn't be a necessity or seen as a rite of passage to anything. Hopefully, if you choose to service a bike it is because you enjoy it, not because it needs constant attention.

F-Man

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
I mention his book because I would like to know how many Guzzi fans have read the book and their opinions regarding his dislikes of MG, He also doesn't seem like HD and has positively promoted Victory.

I have not read the book and I doubt that I'll be reading it.  I don't need a "guide to motorcycling", other than my own internal guide, which has developed over many years.  I have never put a lot of weight on what others like and dislike with respect to motorcycles; I will read reviews and listen to others, but I'll form my own opinions, and they're usually different from that of the herd.  I have loved owning and riding Moto Guzzi.  They're not for everyone, but they're perfect for me.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »
I like this quote from him:

"Women. Ya can't live with them and ya can't make soup from their bones".
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
I like this quote from him:

"Women. Ya can't live with them and ya can't make soup from their bones".

Sort of like all the clever, tough-boy remarks from someone like Hunter Thompson.   

You can read his stuff about his "one giant motorcycle for myself", his BSA, or nattering about Vincents, and any real motorcyclist will immediately figure out that he knows very little about actual motorcycling, and a lot about all the BS surrounding motorcycling .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 11:19:37 AM »
Lannis, sorry you don't get Thompson , and for sure he was weird , but he did in fact ride quite a bit , and some of us can relate to him . Besides , it wasn't him bashing Eyetalian motorbikes , he liked them .

Dusty

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
It was a great book

The whole outlaw thing is an interesting study in psychology , they represent the worst in human behavior , in fact , they revel in their baddassery . Funny thing is , most of the types drawn to that lifestyle are looking for someone to map out their lives , what MC to ride , when to poop , how to act . Kind of like a college fraternity gone weird  :evil:

Dusty

They are social misfits, looking for a place to belong.  No different than any other street gangs, or ISIS for that matter.  I need someone to replace mommy and daddy and tell me what to do...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
he WROTE a book ? lol

but i agreed, don't buy italian bikes , they all suck..... :boozing:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:03:20 PM by arveno »

biking sailor

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »

:1:  Problem with pigeon holing people, is most don't fit in the holes.   :evil:

Offline Guzzistaracing

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Norwegian with a love for all Italian
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
Sonny who??
Ex.85�suzuki katana
 85`Le Mans 1000
`?? 1100 sport
`51 Ariel KH500
`07 Griso 850, black
`71 Nuovo Falcone civile
`78 BMW R100RS
`98 Centauro
`07 Norge
Current:
`99 Quota
`84 V65

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
We know his name simply because he was a pice of societal filth.

He writes a book assuming success due to notoriety or notoriosity.

Neither he nor those hitching their wagons to him will get one lousy cent of any money I have worked for and likely paid taxes on.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Moto

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
I heard or read an interview with Barger, and he seemed like a sensible guy who'd ridden a lot of miles on Harleys, almost feeling he had to choose that brand for image's sake, and decided he didn't like them in the end. I think his knowledge extends to at least one other brand that he likes better (Victory).

What he is reported to have said about Italian motorcycles is not an uncommon opinion, but is not really important to any of us, right?

So...,

Moto

Fuzzy

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »
These guys portray themselves as rugged individualists, but they think, act, ride, and dress as a group. While he might have an interesting book, �why would he have credibility for anyone who is not a groupie?

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 01:10:08 PM »
I have a low opinion of these HA guys having lived near (behind) their NYC clubhouse. I was regularly awakened in the middle of the night by blood curling screams from inside that building and at some point they took over the building next to it and muscled the owner out until I guess he paid them off. Barger may have softened over the years but that doesn't change my opinion of the group, though I might change my mind if he comes out with a cookbook but that depends on the recipes.

And I rarely observed a single rider wearing the jacket as they seemed to always move in mass.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here