Author Topic: NGC-Am I clueless about the latest riding fashion trend?  (Read 17123 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
NGC-Am I clueless about the latest riding fashion trend?
« on: September 20, 2015, 06:53:27 AM »
My wife and I were on a bit of a road trip, unfortunately in the PU the last couple of days. Temps were mostly in the 60s and low 70s. So since it was not cold why did we see several H-D riders wearing full face coverings?
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: NGC-Am I clueless about the latest riding fashion trend?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
it's the new soft helmet, masked and anonymous..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 07:15:29 AM »
This thread should be renamed "Squidwear".  I just saw one yesterday that I love- a couple of sportbike riders in shorts, T shirts, sneakers, (mandatory) helmets, and hard exoskeleton back protectors.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »
My wife and I were on a bit of a road trip, unfortunately in the PU the last couple of days. Temps were mostly in the 60s and low 70s. So since it was not cold why did we see several H-D riders wearing full face coverings?
GliderJohn
Orthodox muslim women riders, obviously.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »

Offline toaster404

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
Living right near the famous Dragon, I get to see all kinds of interesting things.  I have seen the masked cruiser riders, but have no explanation.  I also see very nicely fitted riders of all species.  Plus the universal squid brigade.  Good helmet, good jacket, shorts and tennis shoes always popular. 

Illinois is really great - no helmet state.  Passenger girls in flip flops, micro shorts, halter, and sunglasses.  Might as well be naked (not that I'm complaining about the view). 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
GliderJohn

So that they can be anonymous and threatening and scary, especially to 6-year-old kids.

To them, it's what motorcycle riding is all about.   A cross between Darth Vader and their TV heroes from reality shows.   

Pathetic losers.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

canuck750

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 09:21:52 AM »
I struggle to understand the need to look and pretend to be a tough guy will riding their particular brand of V Twin cruiser. It is all so ridiculous, the loud pipes, irelevent 'dress' leather garb that offers next to no practical protection, obligatory tattoos and now the Halloween masks. I know a respectable investment guy in his mid 40's who dresses up in his black and orange goof suit every time he throws a leg over his made in Millwaukee cruiser complete with WWII German style helmet. I can tolerate some adolescent experiment with searching for identity but when what on the outside is apparently a grown man it's just very pathetic. I once asked this guy where the Halloween party was when he showed up to visit in all his gay pirate regalia, haven't seen much of him since, apparently I am not a real biker.
One word sums it up, deuche.

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
 This has been around since at least 1997 . We encountered a Honda rider in Nebraska wearing a face covering , I think some of the reasoning is protection from the Sun , dunno . Not all of these types are "pathetic losers" some are just looking for a way to express themselves , or be a bit silly . Geez , not everyone has to ride a Moto Guzzi and wear red suspenders to be OK .

Dusty

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
Are the skull and crossbones bandana's made of kevlar?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
I struggle to understand
One word sums it up, deuche.

I think you pegged it!
haha!  I can see wearing something over your mouth and nose if it is the time of year when there are a lot of bugs in the air, and you wear an open faced helmet. Or, if it a bit frosty. But nice weather riding?  Your face should be seen, so everyone can see the big grin on your face while riding!

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
This has been around since at least 1997 . We encountered a Honda rider in Nebraska wearing a face covering , I think some of the reasoning is protection from the Sun , dunno . Not all of these types are "pathetic losers" some are just looking for a way to express themselves , or be a bit silly . Geez , not everyone has to ride a Moto Guzzi and wear red suspenders to be OK .

Dusty

Expressing oneself by wearing a skull face mask in public on a motorcycle is the dictionary definition of "pathetic loser".   

If they wanted to be "a bit silly", maybe they should unzip and ride "tackle out"?   That'd get a laugh.

Lannis

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »
Shamelessly stolen from Bill..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »
Expressing oneself by wearing a skull face mask in public on a motorcycle is the dictionary definition of "pathetic loser".   

If they wanted to be "a bit silly", maybe they should unzip and ride "tackle out"?   That'd get a laugh.

Lannis

Uh , sure Lannis  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 10:27:17 AM »
Shamelessly stolen from Bill..  :smiley:

So THAT'S your game is it?   Well, we'll just see about that ...

I'll see your Kathi and raise you one Fay ....

Lannis

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
...in case riding a motorcycle in a half helmet and T-shirt with your hands up above your head and your feet splayed out in front of you isn't dangerous enough...

CLick here to buy your very own personal, wearable guillotine !!
http://solidstatecovers.com/products/bdm-black-rider-edition
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »
...in case riding a motorcycle in a half helmet and T-shirt with your hands up above your head and your feet splayed out in front of you isn't dangerous enough...

CLick here to buy your very own personal, wearable guillotine !!
http://solidstatecovers.com/products/bdm-black-rider-edition

That is completely stupid.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
That is completely stupid.

No, no, be careful.   The Intolerance Police will be on you for that.

"Non-Traditionally Enabled" is how you should refer to these paragons of diversiveness ... just lads out for some fun ....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »
 It's just that some of us are secure enough in our selves to accept that others don't have to look or act in a certain way to not be pathetic losers .

Dusty

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
No, no, be careful.   The Intolerance Police will be on you for that.

"Non-Traditionally Enabled" is how you should refer to these paragons of diversiveness ... just lads out for some fun ....

Lannis

"Made from laser cut, sand blasted and black anodized aluminum diamond plate riveted to an 8oz Latigo leather internal chassis featuring six massive vents for maximum breath ability and a “fog curtain” to reduce fog buildup inside the glasses."

Just what I want in front of my face in a crash:"anodized aluminum diamond plate"

Once again, that is completely F'n Stupid.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »
Had a guy pull up beside me at a light in a billy the kid outlaw mask. Asked him what train we were gonna rob. Some guys got no sense of humour!  :boozing:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »
I've had people make "clever" astronaut comments when they see me wearing my well-worn and faded black aerostich suit.  No doubt there's a forum thread out there that has discussed my wacky costume.  Shrug.  Life goes on; people are happy in their choices. 

On a related note, Montenegro apparently has not had a talented architect in sixty years.  There's a real love of bare concrete and right angles.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »
Isn't the right To choose to be a douche nozzle if you want to be one of the things that make this sport so great? So what? Doesn't effect me :kiss:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
 :grin:  I love this forum.  Very entertaining.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
" I could not care less about trendy shyte."

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 02:31:34 PM »
Live and let live. I don't want anyone feeling like they have the right to tell me to get a haircut.
Or worse yet; 'Get a job, hippie!'
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »
Isn't the right To choose to be a douche nozzle if you want to be one of the things that make this sport so great? So what? Doesn't effect me :kiss:

Of course it doesn't affect you.   Just like your (or my) saying that the guy in the skull mask or steel face plate is a dork doesn't affect HIM.   

The only people it bothers are the ones who hate to see it even discussed.    Sort of weird for a Discussion Forum ....

Lannis

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »

Europeans can be pretty intimidating too

http://youtu.be/AJSI0FDVZxU

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Of course it doesn't affect you.   Just like your (or my) saying that the guy in the skull mask or steel face plate is a dork doesn't affect HIM.   

The only people it bothers are the ones who hate to see it even discussed.    Sort of weird for a Discussion Forum ....

Lannis

Hmm , so insulting folks we have never met is a discussion ? Nothing wrong with the topic , pretty amusing all in all , aluminum backed face masks , hilarious sure , but does shopping at Wal Mart , or wearing goofy attire while riding a
motorbike , or hell , riding a motorbike period , qualify someone as a pathetic loser ? Reminds me of being in high school when the cool kids would gang up on an outsider or a band kid .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 03:38:45 PM »
Hmm , so insulting folks we have never met is a discussion ? Nothing wrong with the topic , pretty amusing all in all , aluminum backed face masks , hilarious sure , but does shopping at Wal Mart , or wearing goofy attire while riding a
motorbike , or hell , riding a motorbike period , qualify someone as a pathetic loser ? Reminds me of being in high school when the cool kids would gang up on an outsider or a band kid .

Dusty

I was in the band (alto sax) but don't remember getting ganged up on.

One of the reasons that many of us don't like what we see in the "biker culture", and discuss it on this Discussion Board, is because when someone on a motorcycle starts trying to look and act tough and intimidate people and scare little children and make cagers nervous out on the road, it doesn't affect just THEM.    It's not just them doing their own thing in a vacuum, and it somehow doesn't affect us.

It affects all of us who actually ride.   The people who watch all these stupid depictions of "bikers" on TV, and then believe they see it verified by people on the road who are role-playing .... they associate US with all that.  Suddenly, a guy who is just out riding in regular gear and a regular bike is associated with all the tough-boy Darth Vader bullcrap; yeah, dumb, I know, but it's a fact ... and these car drivers change the way they react to anyone on a motorcycle, generally out of fear and dislike.

And all because of what the Hells Angels wannabees are doing, not because of what you and I are doing.

That's why I don't like it, and say so.    As far as WalMart goes, I don't go in because of the reasons I gave already, which probably weren't actually read but were just reacted to for what someone THOUGHT I said.    I don't give my money to people who operate like they do.   I hope they go out of business, but they probably won't because people everywhere will throw their friends and neighbors who own the local stores absolutely under the bus to save $.19 on a toothbrush.   

Insulting folks I've never met?    You mean I have to actually MEET Charles Manson or Sonny Barger before I can say what I think about them?   Come on ... YOU don't even hold yourself to that standard ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:39:57 PM by Lannis »

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »
  :huh: One thing to poke fun at a public figure who has written , said , or done something stupid or criminal . Different matter to label average citizens pathetic losers because they don't fit your idea of the perfect person .

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here