Author Topic: NGC-Am I clueless about the latest riding fashion trend?  (Read 17135 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC-Am I clueless about the latest riding fashion trend?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »
  :huh: One thing to poke fun at a public figure who has written , said , or done something stupid or criminal . Different matter to label average citizens pathetic losers because they don't fit your idea of the perfect person .

Dusty

Well, it sound like something we're both going to have to live with.   I'm good.   You good?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »
Well, it sound like something we're both going to have to live with.   I'm good.   You good?

Lannis

Oh I'm fine .

Dusty

canuck750

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
I was in the band (alto sax) but don't remember getting ganged up on.

One of the reasons that many of us don't like what we see in the "biker culture", and discuss it on this Discussion Board, is because when someone on a motorcycle starts trying to look and act tough and intimidate people and scare little children and make cagers nervous out on the road, it doesn't affect just THEM.    It's not just them doing their own thing in a vacuum, and it somehow doesn't affect us.

It affects all of us who actually ride.   The people who watch all these stupid depictions of "bikers" on TV, and then believe they see it verified by people on the road who are role-playing .... they associate US with all that.  Suddenly, a guy who is just out riding in regular gear and a regular bike is associated with all the tough-boy Darth Vader bullcrap; yeah, dumb, I know, but it's a fact ... and these car drivers change the way they react to anyone on a motorcycle, generally out of fear and dislike.

And all because of what the Hells Angels wannabees are doing, not because of what you and I are doing.

Lannis

I fully agree, assholes who take pleasure annoying the public with loud pipes while acting like your local Hells Angles paint all people who enjoy riding motorcycles with the same brush, that does have an impact on me and my passion for motorcycles. With clever advertising Honda turned a negative image of motorcycles into a great American pastime. Unfortunately the whole Sons of Anarchy wannabes with their in your face attitudes are pissing off a lot of regular decent folks. Again I think its sad that if all a man can come with to feel secure in this big old world is a loud obnoxious motorcycle and dressing like a Hells Angel.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »
the "pathetic loser".

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »
the "pathetic loser".

Now that's frightening....
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2015, 05:25:03 PM »
the "pathetic loser".

Only if the mask is made out of diamond-pattern wrought iron .... now THAT would be a man's equipment!

Lannis

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »

On a related note, Montenegro apparently has not had a talented architect in sixty years.  There's a real love of bare concrete and right angles.

That would be six decades of Communist architecture. See also: The pyramid of Tirana.
In the USA, we call that "Community College Modern."
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2015, 06:11:54 PM »
sorry Lannis, it's only Goose down..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
I generally think the masks look pretty stupid.

That said, I don't think I've ever come across someone who uses them who actually is trying to scare anyone, especially little kids, or who are wearing them to appear tough.

The ones I've met who have them think they're fun or funny, and they mostly use them for cold or rain, though some like them to keep sand and rocks from stinging as much.

I still think they look dumb, but I'll give behind an Aerostich wind triangle or even my wicking cool cloth if a summer shower catches me with an open face and no windshield.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Penderic

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2015, 06:26:40 PM »
I like history stuff... old versions are interesting and sometime the old style elements are recycled in the modern versions.

Here is a very good site with good pics of early motorcycle "haberdashery".

http://vintagehaberdashers.com/tag/motorcycle/

:thumb:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »
I fully agree, assholes who take pleasure annoying the public with loud pipes while acting like your local Hells Angles paint all people who enjoy riding motorcycles with the same brush, that does have an impact on me and my passion for motorcycles. With clever advertising Honda turned a negative image of motorcycles into a great American pastime. Unfortunately the whole Sons of Anarchy wannabes with their in your face attitudes are pissing off a lot of regular decent folks. Again I think its sad that if all a man can come with to feel secure in this big old world is a loud obnoxious motorcycle and dressing like a Hells Angel.

No so much a HA bad biker image but I think it's every biker's responsibility to be slightly outlaw appearing or at least mysterious. Like  when a stranger rides into the old west town and the residents slowly retreat indoors.
 Earlier today me and a friend out on rowdy Harley powered Buell's pulled into a small town after an hours rider at high speeds scaring wildlife. Rumbling along at 25 mph with our visors raised and looking around we were the very picture of mysterious drifters on death machines.... Like Johnny in the Wild Ones.. not really evil but still bad to the bone...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:42:26 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »
T Geez , not everyone has to ride a Moto Guzzi and wear red suspenders to be OK .

Dusty
! Spenders r spozed  2 b orange; Husqvarna chainsaw ornge. Work'n man's color.
Read's them duke-a-tea colors.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
the "pathetic loser".

Didn't I see that guy in a Popeye cartoon?

Oh yeah...

ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

nunzio

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2015, 08:26:49 PM »
  :huh: Different matter to label average citizens pathetic losers because they don't fit your idea of the perfect person .

Dusty

If it wasn't for making fun of people... my wife and I wouldn't have any thing to talk about when we go to Walmart.  :grin:

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2015, 08:32:25 PM »
If it wasn't for making fun of people... my wife and I wouldn't have any thing to talk about when we go to Walmart.  :grin:

That may be WM's main reason for existing  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2015, 08:42:30 PM »
  If it is bitter cold, the mask is for warmth.
 If it is warm weather the mask is to prevent being recognized.
 They are embarrassed to be recognized doing whatever it is they are doing.  Squiding, wannabe pirating, general hooliganizing,
 Or maybe just don't want to be seen riding a Harley.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 05:04:35 AM »
I find my full face helmet protects my face from dust, sand, insects, rain etc. just fine. :thumb:

just a thought, because I ride a Guzzi that must make me a 1%er!  Out here, I would probably be closer to a 0.3%er!! That is scary. :shocked:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2015, 06:07:27 AM »
Maybe they are just for allergies. Or maybe they don't want there mothers seeing them on a mc.

biking sailor

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2015, 06:19:34 AM »
When I rode dual sports (weren't called that back then) I had an open face with a big visor.  I would regularly wear a neckerchief over my nose, mouth, and chin for a variety of reasons.  None of which were to scare people, hide my identity or look mysterious.  Usually just protection from cold, dirt, bugs, wind...

I'm sure some are doing it for attention, just like the Mohawk on the helmet, but most that I see in the shops are sold as face protection. But of course it's also got to match the bike and outfit!   :shocked:

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 06:49:59 AM »
Wearing a mask in public....that's against the law in most states.  In light of the possibly broad application of that statute Virginia recently passed a law to allow motorcyclists to wear a face mask for the purpose of protecting the face from the cold.  It's still against the law to wear a mask for the purpose of concealing one's identity.  Now, is this ever enforced....not to my knowledge.

It does seem silly to wear a novelty helmet and then some rubber mask to "protect" your face.  I guess it's equally silly to ride a motorcycle that has almost no name recognition so one has to constantly explain....well, you know.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »
1978 Yuba city, CA 35F, I was on an Ambassador and stopped at my bank to get some cash. As I walked in I took off my helmet and all the tellers froze, it was weird but they visibly froze in place. As I was walking I took off my baklava and they all came back to life. Thats when the light bulb in my head came on. That's about as close to scary as I've ever been. One of my brother in laws,a fairly inexperienced rider bought a big Harly and wears one of those head covers with a skull on it. I nearly fell off the bike the first time I saw it, it looked so funny. He wears it without helmet, warm or cold. I don't understand it but it's his choice. I hope I'm not there to scrape his brain off the pavement but maybe that thing will keep it all in the bag so it's more convenient
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
1978 Yuba city, CA 35F, I was on an Ambassador and stopped at my bank to get some cash. As I walked in I took off my helmet and all the tellers froze, it was weird but they visibly froze in place. As I was walking I took off my baklava and they all came back to life.

In this day and age, I can understand why money handlers might freeze up at the sight of a man whose identity is being masked, regardless of the reason.

When I stop with the intent of going in somewhere, I pull my helmet off before I even get off the bike.   First of all, even a good helmet is clumsy and confining, and I don't want to have to wear it even one second longer than I have to.    And second, it's just a courtesy for those you have to deal with .....

Lannis

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 08:36:44 AM »
That was years ago, I was young and foolish ,after all I rode one of those odd motorcycles
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 09:21:12 AM »
...As I walked in I took off my helmet and all the tellers froze, it was weird but they visibly froze in place. As I was walking I took off my baklava and they all came back to life..

I did almost the exact same thing, probably that same year, in Bethesda, MD.  I walked into the Suburban Trust Bank with my full face helmet on, loosening the strap as I walked toward the teller.  I got the helmet off about when I got to the window, and the manager walked up to me and politely asked me to take the helmet off before I enter, next time.  He said their fingers were on the alarm buttons under the counter.  I've been conscious of that ever since.  Luckily they're not so jumpy at my local crossroads-town Post Office, where I don't have to bother taking my helmet off to drop off packages.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
Hm. I had simply guessed the masks were either to keep people from knowing what a poor motorcycle choice they had made or were hiding their recent nose jobs. Go figure.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »
Hm. I had simply guessed the masks were either to keep people from knowing what a poor motorcycle choice they had made or were hiding their recent nose jobs. Go figure.

Well, possibly.   But.....

I expect they're proud of their motorcycles, and nose jobs are probably rare among that crowd.

Think about the things they display.   

1) Death's heads.   Skulls.   Skull-and-crossbones.    "I am Death, I am Dangerous, Fear Me!"

2) Nazi regalia.   Things that look like lightning-marks.    Maltese crosses.   Swastikas.    Stalhelm and Pickelhauben.   "I'm associated with some of the worst guys in recent history.  Fear Me!"

3) Get-Back whips.   "I'll whip your a$$ if you f**k with me.   Fear Me!".

Anyone who tries to associate this behavior with something better than "Pathetic Loser" is trying too hard to be "nice to everyone" .... in my opinion.

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:50:33 AM by Lannis »

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2015, 10:09:18 AM »
 Well damn Lannis , and I thought we were gonna leave this alone  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »
Well, possibly.   But.....

I expect they're proud of their motorcycles, and nose jobs are probably rare among that crowd.

Think about the things they display.   

1) Death's heads.   Skulls.   Skull-and-crossbones.    "I am Death, I am Dangerous, Fear Me!"
2) Nazi regalia.   Things that look like lightning-marks.    Maltese crosses.   Swastikas.    Stalhelm and Pickelhauben.   "I'm associated with some of the worst guys in recent history.  Fear Me!"
3) Get-Back whips.   "I'll whip your a$$ if you f**k with me.   Fear Me!".
Anyone who tries to associate this behavior with something better than "Pathetic Loser" is trying too hard to be "nice to everyone" .... in my opinion.

Around here, all the Harley riders are dentists and accountants playing Gay Pirate dress-up on the weekend. But I've never seen any Nazi stuff or instruments of violence.

PS not that there's anything wrong with being gay or a pirate. I celebrate diversity.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »
Well damn Lannis , and I thought we were gonna leave this alone  :shocked:

Dusty

Well, leave it alone then.  You aren't constrained to respond to every single thing that you imagine pertains to you.   Just ignore it if it worries you.

Lannis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
Around here, all the Harley riders are dentists and accountants playing Gay Pirate dress-up on the weekend. But I've never seen any Nazi stuff or instruments of violence.

PS not that there's anything wrong with being gay or a pirate. I celebrate diversity.

There's a lot of that, sure.   But a lot of the other stuff too, and I hate that it has to be associated with motorcycles .....

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here