Author Topic: Stalled  (Read 2604 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Stalled
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »
 :weiner:

Riding Sunday afternoon, a light on and off rain, heading home.  The V7 stone running like a top in speeds from 70ish to 80.  Air is wet and dense, full of atmospheric delight... smell of ozone and wet Earth...  clouds scattered, both white and gray, setting sun swelling red and pink imparting color to the western clouds.  RPM steadily 4.5 aside from twists to 5+ to pass.  As I merged onto a freeway interchange, up the ramp, the bike felt as though it was losing speed, lurched a bit and engine died.  Heading right I pulled over to the curb concerned whether I'd be waiting for a tow instead of home making dinner.  Stopped on the freeway shoulder, I twisted the key off, counted to 60 and turned it on.  Dial needles raced clockwise and returned to rest.  I thumbed the starter and the V7 motor came back to life... As though nothing happened.  I rode home without incident.  My thoughts... did something just get wet?  Did I accidentally touch a kill switch or?  Or did the bike just do some strange one-off thing? 

I love my V7, best feeling bike I've ever had.  I checked oil after arriving home and the oil was gorgeous and new, plenty oil in the sump nothing burned it seems.

What do you think?

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stalled
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:19:06 AM »
                Reminds me of when my fuel pump half-died, mid-ride one day. Got me home but eventually it had to be replaced.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:20:37 AM »
Check that the side stand moves freely.  There are several reports of a sticky side stand getting bumped down enough to trigger its ignition kill switch and stop the engine.  In your situation, you would have probably lowered the side stand when you stopped on the shoulder and raised it again before you took off again, so you might not have noticed if it was partially down when the engine quit.  On my '16 Stone, just an inch or so down from the fully up position is enough to stop the engine.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:25:56 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
That's sort of scary.   If that happened at night on a crowded 4-lane on a bridge passing a truck, you might not be here to tell us about it ... !    Problem is, it's SO hard to figure out IF you've solved the problem .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
Maybe it was the side stand, but another hour after sunset and it could have been dangerous.  Anyway, it hasn't stalked again.  Perhaps I didn't let it warm up enough.  If it stalks again I'll be more attuned to the situation...

On a good note, I ordered the marlin dart fly screen to move some air off my chest.  Looking forward to it!

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
When the sidestand on the V7C lowers itself enough to activate the engine cut out switch, all the lights go out, the dials zero and the engine stops. Raising the kickstand with the heel in flight switches everything back on again. If this is what happens to you, then luring the pivot bolt when the stand starts getting stiff is an easy (if temporary) fix. If it is not your problem, it's a bit of a worry. Let us know how it goes.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:08:11 AM »
When the sidestand on the V7C lowers itself enough to activate the engine cut out switch, all the lights go out, the dials zero and the engine stops. Raising the kickstand with the heel in flight switches everything back on again. If this is what happens to you, then luring the pivot bolt when the stand starts getting stiff is an easy (if temporary) fix. If it is not your problem, it's a bit of a worry. Let us know how it goes.

Mal
Actually, the lights didn't go out.  The dial needles dropped to zero very suddenly but they were still lit up.  My first thought was "it ran out of gas".   Even though I had filled the tank on a run earlier in the day. That was a twenty mile or so run.  Then the bike was parked for a couple hours with a little light rain.  Then another twenty mile run back home.  Fifteen miles into it, and the bike dies.  I deliberately turned the key off after coasting to the shoulder.  Waited a minute and started it right up.  No more problems.  Weird.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »

Mal
I think only the headlight goes out.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »
IMHO having the side-stand cut the bike off is far more dangerous than forgetting to raise the stand.

Actually the stand switch on the V7 is wired directly to the ECU it would only be a software change to override the switch once the bike is rolling

How about if you put the bike in gear with the stand down it stalls
Once over 5 MPH the stand switch is overridden
Is this something that GuzziDiag or a re-flash could do?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:01:24 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here