Author Topic: Working on my EVT, Disaster Strikes  (Read 9867 times)

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Working on my EVT, Disaster Strikes
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »
Well I've studied up on all I can including Guzziology and on other breather threads.  I think I have a general handle on how it's all supposed to work  but not why  it's so 'titchey' and inclined to spew oil at every available opportunity.

In Guzziology Dave Richardson points out the the doner engine does not have the vents/drains to the heads and that "in this case I do not recommend this modification". What he does not say is why not. I'd be interested to know why not....

He also points out that the doner engine has no check valve. Again he does not say why not and how this is of any benefit. It makes sense to have one to my way of thinking. I'd like to understand the rational here too.

He does say, again referring to the doner engine,  that "There is a lot of hidden engineering in these systems" and warns of oil collecting in the frame if it is frigged with.  Unfortunately he does not go into this "hidden engineering"  I'm afraid that by marrying it up to a tonti frame we have most definitely frigged with the breathing system.

OK. I have done all the homework and studying I can do, so the next step is to start delving into the machine itself.

I put 3 liters of oil into the bike without changing the filter.... Oops! Maybe that's the problem.

First step will be to confirm that the airbox filled with oil to the point of hydraulicing the beast.

2nd step, spark plugs out and turn the engine by hand. If nothing untoward discovered, try it with the starter motor.

3rd.  Re-appraisal. and consider options.

New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »
Good Luck, John :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I await with interest.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 08:14:49 PM »
 :1:
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 08:14:49 PM »

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 07:55:29 PM »
Sorry guys. I've been a bit crook of late (nothing to do directly with the ticker) and haven't been able to do much beyond sitting in front of computer or TV screens. I keep meaning to get to it 'tomorrow'.

I think I may also be a bit frightened by what I might find.....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:09:05 PM by johnr »
New Zealand

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
 It is alright John , gumption can be a hard commodity to come buy at times . That said , get busy dangit .

Dusty

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
I still have some questions that no one has attempted to answer and that I would like to hear about as I prefer not to blunder  about in the dark as it were.

In Guzziology Dave Richardson points out the the doner engine does not have the vents/drains to the heads and that "in this case I do not recommend this modification". What he does not say is why not. I'd be interested to know why not....

1. WHY is this mod not recommended? I'ts a mod I was/am planning on doing down the line a bit.

He also points out that the doner engine has no check valve. Again he does not say why not and how this is of any benefit. It makes sense to have one to my way of thinking. I'd like to understand the rational here too.

2. I don' understand this and I'd like to. What advantage is there in leaving out the check valve for the V11 engine (and by extension, a reason to leave it out of mine) Could it be something to do with the extra capacity of the spine frame condenser ?

He does say, again referring to the doner engine,  that "There is a lot of hidden engineering in these systems" and warns of oil collecting in the frame if it is frigged with.  Unfortunately he does not go into this "hidden engineering"  I'm afraid that by marrying it up to a tonti frame we have most definitely frigged with the breathing system.

3. Just what is this mentioned "hidden engineering" he talks of. Can anyone detail this for me?

I put 3 liters of oil into the bike without changing the filter.... Oops! Maybe that's the problem.

4. Would it have been? Is 3 liters enough to constitute over fill if I have not replaced the filter?

5. I'm still looking for someone who has a parts book and workshop manual covering the 2002 Lemans stored electronically  and who could possible send them to me (by disk or email).  Guzzi forbids the sale of such things in my country.

Number 5 is dealt too. Thanks smdl.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 09:45:21 PM by johnr »
New Zealand

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »
Sure will. Thanks
New Zealand

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
Sorry guys. I've been a bit crook of late (nothing to do directly with the ticker) and haven't been able to do much beyond sitting in front of computer or TV screens. I keep meaning to get to it 'tomorrow'.

I think I may also be a bit frightened by what I might find.....

Hope it was not my cooking John!

Sorry, I have no idea on the cause of the problem, other than my suspicion that the windage is forcing the oil out of the sump. The check valve just may help if that IS the cause.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
Hope it was not my cooking John!

Nope. Long standing issue that rears it's head from time to time.
New Zealand

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
John,
It never moved a drop of oil when in a spine frame, never used a drop of oil during the 3000 mile oil change intervals, only changed it 3 times as it only had a bit over 10K on it when you got it..  you just need a spine frame to drop it into :grin:   Just joshin you, I am surprised, something must be amiss as the engine did not pass oil or any observable pressure to the crankcase.  You sure Roper didn't plug the wrong hole
best wishes!

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
John,
It never moved a drop of oil when in a spine frame, never used a drop of oil during the 3000 mile oil change intervals, only changed it 3 times as it only had a bit over 10K on it when you got it..  you just need a spine frame to drop it into :grin:   Just joshin you, I am surprised, something must be amiss as the engine did not pass oil or any observable pressure to the crankcase.  You sure Roper didn't plug the wrong hole
best wishes!

I have lots of faith in the engine itself though having hydrauliced it I'm a bit worried about it.

I'm convinced we are dealing with a breather problem (which I'm still researching) In the end there remains a yet to be checked possibility that I simply over filled the sump.

I think I had better get a Roper Plate too. Also considering the virtues of a sump extension.  The fact that there is even a possibility of filling the air box with oil is not a reassuring one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:09:01 PM by johnr »
New Zealand

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 07:16:01 PM »
Hi, John.

With regard to the oil, the capacity is 3.5L including the filter, which holds about .5L.  So, you should have been right about perfect with what you put in.  Do you recall checking the oil after filling?

Even if a little overfilled, I can't see that causing this problem. 

Best of luck in getting to the bottom of this!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here