Author Topic: San Diego Desert camping locations, cycles, stuff  (Read 3635 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
San Diego Desert camping locations, cycles, stuff
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
What are some recommendations for desert camping in San Diego county?  My V7 likely is limited where it can go... But what about the stelvio?  Or the Honda cb500x?  Or that new Africa Twin? Years ago I took the kids camping in Devil's canyon just north of interstate 8.  What are some fun, out of way campsites for adventure motorcyclists?  And what equipment do you prefer? 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:14:50 AM by vstevens »

oldbike54

Re: San Diego Desert camping locations, cycles, stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
 I've been trying to get the SoCal folks to camp out for about 2 years now , seems they don't know how  :evil:

Dusty

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
I've been trying to get the SoCal folks to camp out for about 2 years now , seems they don't know how  :evil:

Dusty

I'm up for it on a long weekend!  Guess I'll have to get it started and take some photos.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:50:18 AM by vstevens »

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »
I'm up for it on a long weekend!

Good luck guys , maybe Normzone will join . Wish I was a bit closer .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »
Agua Caliente is nice.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »

Dusty

Dusty is right, I'll be waiting to see who chimes in with where and when.

Too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, unless you choose the right location. It all used to be open country out here and you could ninja camp any place you could get to, but that's all changed. You need a permit just about everywhere now, and they no longer allow setting fire to Volkswagen engine blocks.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
Dusty is right, I'll be waiting to see who chimes in with where and when.

Too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer, unless you choose the right location. It all used to be open country out here and you could ninja camp any place you could get to, but that's all changed. You need a permit just about everywhere now, and they no longer allow setting fire to Volkswagen engine blocks.

What is too cold ?

Maybe if there were a Starbucks close by...

Are there 24 hr  Starbucks ? :evil:

Just get out and do it fellas , take pics , give us a report .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
Dusty, it's different here.

In Southern California water freezes at 50 degrees F, and we begin calculating in wind chill factor at 70 F.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
Dusty, it's different here.

In Southern California water freezes at 50 degrees F, and we begin calculating in wind chill factor at 70 F.

Hell, yeah.  Let's see, take a cold ride to camp in the cold, drink scotch around a fire to warm up, fall asleep numb, get up cold - what's not to like?

50 degrees is cold ? Geez , maybe what my buddy that moved here from SoCal is right , best weather in the country , except the locals still complain about it  :shocked:

Dusty

jlburgess

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »
I'd be in for a camping adventure.  I had been looking at Joshua Tree but haven't had the timing right yet.

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
I'd be in for a camping adventure.  I had been looking at Joshua Tree but haven't had the timing right yet.

It appears we have an NAR in the making . Give this thing a name guys  :bike-037:

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
 Chido Cojones ?

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
I've wanted to take my toy hauler on a Winter So Cal camping trip for sometime.  What is it like to camp down there in late Jan to early Feb?  Where is a nice spot for some good riding and to cherry top the vacation to the promised land?  I could do quite a trip stopping at Big Bend on the way.  Sounds like a 3 weeker.

:bike-037:

Otherwise, I might be looking at Bikeweek in March. 

Diesel is under $2. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »
Chido Cojones ?

Dusty

Chido Cojones, I like it. Cool balls, indeed.

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »
Chido Cojones, I like it. Cool balls, indeed.

Just doing my part to help  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »
High elevation campgrounds - there are campgrounds on tops of Mount Palomar and Mount Laguna. But these are closed in winter due to snow.

Urban Campground - Mission Trails Regional Park is basically a dirt parking lot. But it's between the city and many of the great South- and East-County roads. This would be a fairly convenient place to camp for a few days if someone were coming from out of town.

Beach Campgrounds - San Elijo State Beach and Carlsbad State Beach are fantastic. Right on the ocean. Not so close to the best riding, but still easy access on fun roads. Also ideal for someone coming from, lets say... Oklahoma, or anywhere cold in winter.

Desert Camping - there a lot of free places to camp in the Anza Borrego Desert, especially in the OHV area. Just park anywhere and camp. But if you want running water and electricity, the Butterfield Ranch Resort on S2 would be a good choice. You could run some really fun loops from there. I have staged from there a few times with my dirt bike.

Google It - there are LOT of campgrounds in San Diego County.

Joshua Tree (not in San Diego) is lovely during the winter and the star-gazing is spectacular. That's a National Park, so fees are bit higher.  I seems like the road through Joshua Tree was paved by a Zamboni - but the speed limit is 35.  (note rock climber on left of photo)

I'm in for a Not-A-Rally - schedule permitting.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 07:31:21 PM »
What are some recommendations for desert camping in San Diego county?

You might find some interesting info at this thread:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/san-diego-country-back-country-adventure-route.737745/

Tom
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »
Thanks Scud. 

I think I owe you a beer from your advice on the LeMans forum.  I'd probably have the EV to carry the wife along rather than the Greenie.  Unless I take both. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here