Author Topic: Norge love  (Read 4465 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Norge love
« on: December 08, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
Recently, I can't help but admire the handsome beauty of the Norge.  I've read many of the Norge and Stelvio posts including one that tends to favor the Stelvio.  But on a recent trip to the local MG shop I saw a mahogany Norge in the flesh... Wow, don't think I've seen a more handsome sport tourer.  The recent Norge police thread further inflames my desire for one. 

Just looking for a good excuse ...

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge love
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
Since I own a 2011 I am a bit miffed at the moment over what I am assuming is the oil pressure switch spewing oil all over the left side of the bike and almost leaving me stranded. Second, the cam/tappet issues which appears is going to cost me significant monies. This with only 13K on the bike which cost me 16K OTD at the time.
Now with that said, damn I love riding this thing! :grin: It eats miles, motor tractability is wonderful, will deal with twisties just fine and in a fun way, can pack a lot if needed. And the looks, they are beautiful bikes.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
I'm quite fond of my white 14 Norge.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »
I'm quite fond of my white 14 Norge.

+ 1

Hopefully we have roller tappet cams?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
+ 1

Hopefully we have roller tappet cams?

You do. That issue was dealt with in 2012 or so; othger than some late 13s, all the more recent 8v bikes are roller.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline esmurrell

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
I have a 2012 White Norge and couldn't be happier.  There are a couple of things I plan to do to it but am in no hurry (cruise control, perhaps reflash the ECU and top bag).  Perhaps the Norge is the best kept secret in the sport-touring world.  It's more fun than you would think and less of an aggravation than some suggest.  I love mine.

Eric
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:55:59 PM by esmurrell »
2014 BMW R1200RT
2012 MG Norge GT

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
The Norge is a great thing to ride. If you have one, the experience you get from riding it can be found on no other bike.

That being said, if you are experiencing recurring issues or even just the "known" ones, do not let the "love" for the bike stop you from letting MG know that it could be so much better if they paid attention to the basic things.

No Norge owner should have to pay a penny to fix the flat tappet issue or the start wiring issue or futzy assembly.

I could have any ST but I picked the Norge, not because of some great company that stands behind the bike but in spite of it, the uniqueness and the riding experience. Let MG know because only through crtique , loudly, consistently and from many will improvement and progress come.

The Norge is truly a wonderful bike to ride, the experience like no other. The experience though of the support and even incremental improvements to know problems is quite another experience.

This compact brute of a bike will dislocate your jaw from grinning. The looks you get almost make you a distraction on the road.

And then you have the privilege of WG because that is a huge part of the equation.

Offline BAT 11

• New Egg
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »
VS Stevens,   You won't regret buying a Norge. Mine is 2011. A minor issue with oil pressure switch which can be replaced and upgraded to a more reliable unit. Love the power and  instant throttle response.  My bike is very smooth at all speeds, no issues at all. Servicing is owner friendly, smiles all round.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »
Every now and then, a late model 2v Norge pops up for sale.  Would I do another 2v?  After 6 seasons and 62k with the 1200 Sport, the answer is a unanimous 'yes.'  I think the silver is spectacular, only beaten by a lovely copper/bronze color.  There's something I like about the way the two valve engine peeks thru the fairing.  All that beautiful bodywork, but Marabese made certain anyone looking knew there was a honkin' big v twin underneath.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »
I love my 12, especially after I had Sargent Seats build me a new one with the Italian flag colors.

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
And also the handlebar risers (Norge Pilot) CB radio, power outlet, stebel air horn, Goldwing 1800 footpegs, Givi trunk, and new (no buffeting) windshield from MG Cycle.

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 06:53:11 PM »
Recently, I can't help but admire the handsome beauty of the Norge.  I've read many of the Norge and Stelvio posts including one that tends to favor the Stelvio.  But on a recent trip to the local MG shop I saw a mahogany Norge in the flesh... Wow, don't think I've seen a more handsome sport tourer.  The recent Norge police thread further inflames my desire for one. 

Agreed............. ..... :thumb:

Ciao.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
I'm making a seat for my Norge also.  And two more for a New England MG dealer as well as a few for a NY dealer.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
Since I own a 2011 I am a bit miffed at the moment over what I am assuming is the oil pressure switch spewing oil all over the left side of the bike and almost leaving me stranded. Second, the cam/tappet issues which appears is going to cost me significant monies. This with only 13K on the bike which cost me 16K OTD at the time.
Now with that said, damn I love riding this thing! :grin: It eats miles, motor tractability is wonderful, will deal with twisties just fine and in a fun way, can pack a lot if needed. And the looks, they are beautiful bikes.
GliderJohn

I too know this love, though she is a fickle whore...
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »

Don't get one, unless you want to ride it for at least 100,000 miles.  :azn:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »
GliderJohn

I had a similar issue... Guzzi has a fix, Call Matthews fun machines in Charlotte NC 704 847 8454. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. BK

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 01:11:58 AM »

$5,300 off MSRP is a good excuse!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 08:48:07 AM »
$5,300 off MSRP is a good excuse!

It's got me counting my pennies... Wild Guzzi and The recent V7 purchase introduced me to the world of MG's unique motorbikes.  If I feel I can swing it ....

Every now and then, a late model 2v Norge pops up for sale.  Would I do another 2v?  After 6 seasons and 62k with the 1200 Sport, the answer is a unanimous 'yes.'  I think the silver is spectacular, only beaten by a lovely copper/bronze color.  There's something I like about the way the two valve engine peeks thru the fairing.  All that beautiful bodywork, but Marabese made certain anyone looking knew there was a honkin' big v twin underneath.

Copper would be a very striking color on the Norge.  What are the differences between the 2V and 4v Norges?  Does the 2v motor have the flat tappet issues?  And do the 'rollarized' bikes lose any character after the operation?  What years were the 2v built?

The Norge is a great thing to ride. If you have one, the experience you get from riding it can be found on no other bike.

That being said, if you are experiencing recurring issues or even just the "known" ones, do not let the "love" for the bike stop you from letting MG know that it could be so much better if they paid attention to the basic things.

No Norge owner should have to pay a penny to fix the flat tappet issue or the start wiring issue or futzy assembly.

I could have any ST but I picked the Norge, not because of some great company that stands behind the bike but in spite of it, the uniqueness and the riding experience. Let MG know because only through crtique , loudly, consistently and from many will improvement and progress come.

The Norge is truly a wonderful bike to ride, the experience like no other. The experience though of the support and even incremental improvements to know problems is quite another experience.

This compact brute of a bike will dislocate your jaw from grinning. The looks you get almost make you a distraction on the road.

And then you have the privilege of WG because that is a huge part of the equation.

Well said.  Frankly, it is this forum that encouraged me to 'the dark side'.  The true motorcycle community developed here is unlike nearly every other.  The help, service, advice and downright generosity found here is a model of 'how it should' work in every community... Virtual or not. 

Yes, MG and Piaggio risk losing their base support by not paying the FULL tab
On rollarization... Not doing so is just dishonorable business practice.  Yet in spite of that, the factory continues to produce Gorgeous and exhilarating bikes.
 :thumb:

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
The 2v is plagued by a few flaws but I still think it's a pure design and I like its simplicity mechanically. As far as I understand the 2v doesn't have an Achilles heal but it does suffer from curious fueling and a temperamental stepper motor.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:21:48 AM by BRIO »

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
I took my 2012 Norge out for an 800 mile trip through Texas Hill Country this past weekend.  First real ride since I "rollerized" it a couple of months ago.  It ran flawlessly ---

I've never had a sport touring bike before and the riding experience of the Norge is really tremendous.  If I had more time I would have kept on riding !  Like mentioned above, I have added the Goldwing pegs, MG Cycle windshield, and found a seat from Cee Bailey on Ebay.  Also did Norge Pilot's handle bar riser modification --

All is Good !

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here