Author Topic: Jeep renegade test ride  (Read 5780 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Jeep renegade test ride
« on: December 30, 2015, 05:49:09 PM »
I've lately been enamored with the Jeep Renegade and decided to test drive a couple of them.  First up was a Latitude trimmed 4x2 with a 2.4liter motor and 9 speed automatic.  Didn't much like the automatic.  It shifted early a bit and had a little lag before acceleration.  I really wanted to like it but just didn't like the motor or tranny. 

Then I drove the 6 speed manual with 1.4 turbo.  Wow.  It has a lot of pep to it!  Shifts were smooth and precise.  And the torquey little motor loves to rev all the way to redline (where the limited kicked in).  I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't choose the stick/1.4 turbo over the uninspiring 9 speed auto... the 1.4 turbo is simply a fun motor with oodles of torque.

I left the dealer disappointed he didn't have a 4x4 Renegade with the manual tranny ... and no one in SoCal has one.  Closer to summer, I may custom order one from Italy... They told me it takes a few months ... But I wonder what the best time to order is.   I've always heard that Italian factories close a couple months in summer. 

Anyone have any thoughts or impressions on the Italian Jeep?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:49:35 PM by vstevens »

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Jeep renegade test ride
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 06:24:22 PM »
A good buddy of mine owns a Fiat 500 Abarth.  Same engine, I think.  What a kick a** little machine.  A factory exhaust that growls like aftermarket, it is one quick rollerskate!  I think if I were to do a Renegade, I'd go for the manual and the 1.4 turbo setup.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
A good buddy of mine owns a Fiat 500 Abarth.  Same engine, I think.  What a kick a** little machine.  A factory exhaust that growls like aftermarket, it is one quick rollerskate!  I think if I were to do a Renegade, I'd go for the manual and the 1.4 turbo setup.

Yeah, I drove the Abarth a few months ago, too.  That motor and tranny are a hoot.  Smoooooth shifts, solid acceleration... the renegade 1.4 turbo has the same feel as the Abarth but the chassis feels much more taut, tighter, heftier, more planted and solid, confident and controlled ... I did enjoy it.
 :thumb:

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »
As soon as I saw the word "Jeep", I was reminded of a local man here in Oz who hated his  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:    so much, that he set fire to it.

There is a service here, that you can look up to find out how many complaints that the various new makes and models generate. When I looked yeeears ago, Mazda had the fewest warranty claims. Mercedes was right up there with the worst. Might be worth your while if you checked.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 04:16:40 AM »
Owned MJ Jeeps since 87 w/4.0 motor, wouldn't buy the newer CRAP they make, very sad for Jeep.  Nothing but problems w/newer models.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:30:24 AM »
  I've always heard that Italian factories close a couple months in summer.  NOT TRUE

Anyone have any thoughts or impressions on the Italian Jeep?  :laugh:

BEWARE: Jeep's renegade , like other's FIAT cars have a lot of gremlins ..... i would stay away for at least another year until they sort things out.
My sister works in FIAT ( customer service ) and she knows about the vehicle's problems first hand....( she deal with clients' complain every freaking day....)
In particular , the problems the jeep renegade is having are electronic related. ( no mechanical failure)
Like every FIAT employees she get 20 % off a new car ,she does not drive a FIAT , enough said.

If i had to buy a new Jeep , i would look at the new Cherokee or if budget is limited , the Patriot .

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:32:24 AM by arveno »

bpreynolds

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 06:28:08 AM »
Owned MJ Jeeps since 87 w/4.0 motor, wouldn't buy the newer CRAP they make, very sad for Jeep.  Nothing but problems w/newer models.

+1
Throughout my youth (late 70s through mid to late 80's) Pops was always driving a personally owned but company vehicle Jeep that, due to the nature of his business in deep mine equipment, had to be able to traverse lots and lots of wild terrain and such.  All of those old Jeep Wagoneers were the oddball conglomeration of plastic wooden dashes and rugged but capable exteriors.  Loved them.  New stuff.  Not a chance.  I too am fond of the new Renegade's looks but when you consider putting it up against the Subarus and others in the same "class" you'd need a Guzzi love of the brand to justify it. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:29:51 AM by bpreynolds »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
 We have owned the older XJ Cherokees for about 25 years. Currently we have a 97 and 99  as daily drivers. There are the Jeeps with straight axles that the Wranglers still have....
  I know nothing about the new Jeeps except what I read....And many think the MB influence cheapened the brand in the early 2000's...The "Italian" Renagade looks like several other small SUV's that are popular....The OP says he likes it...A good enough reason to buy it....

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 10:20:54 AM »
BEWARE: Jeep's renegade , like other's FIAT cars have a lot of gremlins ..... i would stay away for at least another year until they sort things out.
My sister works in FIAT ( customer service ) and she knows about the vehicle's problems first hand....( she deal with clients' complain every freaking day....)
In particular , the problems the jeep renegade is having are electronic related. ( no mechanical failure)
Like every FIAT employees she get 20 % off a new car ,she does not drive a FIAT , enough said.

If i had to buy a new Jeep , i would look at the new Cherokee or if budget is limited , the Patriot .
Currently, my only car is a Fiat 500 - the base model - that I bought new in 2012.  It is a 1.4 liter standard transmission that has worked (knock on wood) flawlessly.  There were a couple small things that needed sorting: the wheel alignment was off a bit when new - dealer took care of it - and the CD player wouldn't eject the CDs - they replaced it.  It now has 60,000 + miles.

For what it is... a small commuter car ... it is very capable and provides cheap transportation in a daily stop and go commute (I'd commute on the V7 but my wife rides to work with me and won't ride pillion - she says the helmet messes up her hair and makeup - I told her to not wear so much makeup - now she won't ride with me anymore  :weiner: ).  My kids are all grown and out of the house and I live in a condo, now, so don't need a truck to carry stuff back and forth.  For me, the Fiat has been a good choice... great mpg, parts are cheap and abundant (its a world car), its stylish and its assembled in North America (Mexico... just south of San Diego)... those are good points... to me.

Previously, I had a Subaru Outback that was a real PITA.  In the dealer constantly with blown head gaskets and electronic issues.  Three times it blew head gaskets within a year.  I had to get rid of it and I'll never own another Subaru.   The Fiat has been much more reliable than the Subaru... in my experience.  Perhaps a simpler 4x2 Renegade without all the electronic bells and whistles would work out OK... we'll see.

BUT... Several years of commuting in such a small car short of comfort has me looking for a compromise.  Yes, Good advice on the waiting... I'm in no hurry and have lots of time to play with the idea, and enjoy researching to my heart's content.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:25:37 AM by vstevens »

George_S

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »

If it's really a FIAT or made in a FIAT factory, that's enough for me to forget about it.

Also- I'm looking out the window and see my neighbor's Grand Cherokee. It's unusual that I even can see it since It's been back to the dealer six times in it's first five months of ownership because the 8-speed auto trans is a POS. My prediction for 2016 is it'll be a total loss in a fire....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:19:16 AM by George_S »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
I took a 2,000 mile road trip with my Brother over the last 5 days.  One thing I noticed was the small car drivers wanted to go fast.  They seemed to be able to reach the 80 mph mark, but only after a long run up.  They seemed to be the source of most of the traffic hold ups with the lack of horsepower at higher speeds.   As a driver of a V 8 engine, the abilities of the larger motor to perform on hills and at expressway speeds is quite obvious.  Nearly all traffic jams would be caused by a hill and massive amounts of vehicles slowing. 

Laws and planned usage are one thing, real world usage are another.  A small engine must work harder to to the same job as a large engine.

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
I had a2014 jeep compass and had no problems with it
It was very good in the snow
No mechanical or cosmetic issues
I sold it only because I'm not an SUV person

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 07:21:57 PM »
I can't speak from personal or professional experience about a Fiat or Renegade.

That said we own two late-model Jeeps. And I've bought 4 of them new (or almost, one was lightly used).

Our 2012 GC (largely a Benz ML350 mechanically) has been on one the best (most comfortable, capable, and so far at 50k reliable) SUV's I've owned.

I'm so happy with the powertrain I didn't hesitate to pick up a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited last month with the same motor (but a 6-speed manual and much more old school/live-axle drivetrain).

Anyway, as an MG fan I'm already not playing the statistics on what is supposed to be the most reliable bla bla bla. Yet most of us know how reliable an MG can be, and maybe more importantly how much fun it can be.

If you really can't afford to have a vehicle that might break occasionally, then maybe one should only buy the cheapest model from the company with the best reparation. It's still no guarantee it won't break, but the odd will be slightly in your favor.

If however you can afford to drive what you want, in this day and age, you can probably enjoy whatever new vehicle you want from just about any major manufacturer. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to try one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:42:24 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »
Jeeps hold their value. They seem to need "sorting" though. Good thing is if you don't like it, in bigger markets you can sell it and make it a wash or even pay to have owned it.

We have a Fiat Abarth in the family, thing is hot on performance. Lots of power from the engine and really good brakes.  So far reports are it is reliable and has put some long trips under it's belt. Build quality seems very good, not like yesteryear products.

A Jeep isn't a car you buy today and then find it is worth half that a year later, at least not in this market. You can take a Jeep and completely remake it from aftermarket accessories and customized components. It is what it is though but unless you can't sell cold lemonade on a 110 degree day, you can get your money back out of it.

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
I'm on my second Jeep.

The first was a 2006 Grand Cherokee which had two problems: an engine sensor that was replaced under warrantee and the serpentine belt tensioner that was replaced for about $100 out of warrantee.  Way out of warrantee.  It ran well and felt tight all through my ownership.  When I replaced it, I sold it to one of my sons who is happily piling on the miles.

The replacement was a 2015 Cherokee that I bought 6 months ago.  It has been flawless in operation.  We've taken it on one longish road trip and it was everything we wanted.  It has a 9-speed auto trans that is the best auto trans I have ever driven.  Very smooth, responsive. and really helps with the mpg results.  The only problem with this car is the complexity of all the electronics built into it.  It takes a while to figure it all out (hey, I'm old).

Bottom line is that in 10 years, my Jeeps have cost me $100 in repairs.  All other costs have been maintenance.  And they have obviously never stranded me.  And if they had given me some trouble, I think they would be worth some grief.

Best,

Carlo   
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 08:51:25 AM »
We purchased a 2015 Jeep Renegade Limited back in Sept and have had no issues, no electrical bugs. The complete drivetrain made in US, Chrysler Tigershark engine (used in many other Chryslers), Jeep transmission and 4WD. The body, although based on the Fiat 500X, is heavier duty steel than the 500X and designed to Jeeps specifications, so it is related to the 500X and manufactured in Italy, but it is a Jeep. If you want a rugged compact 4WD, 4 cylinder with a lot of pep and gets 30mpg average, I highly recommend.

Happy New Year!
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 10:11:17 AM »
I am driving a 98 Cherokee sport which is getting long in the tooth.  I don't really connect with the new Jeeps but have been looking at the renegade.  Maybe the manual wrangler 4 door would be more my speed. The Renegade looks a little delectate, more of a grocery getter?

Anyone with Renegade light off road experience to comment on?  I'm not talking modified rock crawling just occasional off road use.

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
I am driving a 98 Cherokee sport which is getting long in the tooth.  I don't really connect with the new Jeeps but have been looking at the renegade.  Maybe the manual wrangler 4 door would be more my speed. The Renegade looks a little delectate, more of a grocery getter?

Anyone with Renegade light off road experience to comment on?  I'm not talking modified rock crawling just occasional off road use.

Have you done any research on the off-road capabilities of the various current Jeep offerings?  If not, you might be surprised at their ability in the dirt.

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »
I took a 2,000 mile road trip with my Brother over the last 5 days.  One thing I noticed was the small car drivers wanted to go fast.  They seemed to be able to reach the 80 mph mark, but only after a long run up.  They seemed to be the source of most of the traffic hold ups with the lack of horsepower at higher speeds.   As a driver of a V 8 engine, the abilities of the larger motor to perform on hills and at expressway speeds is quite obvious.  Nearly all traffic jams would be caused by a hill and massive amounts of vehicles slowing. 

Laws and planned usage are one thing, real world usage are another.  A small engine must work harder to to the same job as a large engine.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic that has no trouble keeping up. In fact it gets 40MPG @ 80 MPH. 
BTW as for 40 MPG I would be thinking hard about gas prices by the end of this year. It looks like OPEC strategy is beginning to work and they are going to squash the the US fracking industry which is going belly up. More analysts are saying it will pushing $4/Gal in a year from now.
Red 90 Mille GT

George_S

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »
  Maybe the manual wrangler 4 door would be more my speed. The Renegade looks a little delectate, more of a grocery getter?

I agree with your feelings about the Renegade. What doesn't help is the fact that of all the Renegades I've seen, maybe 10 so far, they've all been driven by young girls. I mean young. 17-25.
Reminds me of the Kia Soul, also a girl fave.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »
I agree with your feelings about the Renegade. What doesn't help is the fact that of all the Renegades I've seen, maybe 10 so far, they've all been driven by young girls. I mean young. 17-25.
Reminds me of the Kia Soul, also a girl fave.
If only Moto Guzzi had the young girl problem!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »

The small SUV's do nicely off road for the most part...And just like any newer vehicle driven off road a brush with a tree or hard earth bank can leave an expensive scar.. ... headlights/ parking and tail lights are often silly expensive to replace and on many SUV's they stick out  just waiting to be plucked off by a tree branch...It's like they are designed to be driven on beaches...
  You'll never find a vehicle better to bash around off road than an old XJ Cherokee....

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:05:42 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »
I'd like to give this thread a bump.

It's been almost a year since the last post and I'd expect that a member or two might now have a bit more experience with the Renegade. As the 2016 calendar year nears its end there are some seriously good deals to be had in our neck of the woods on leftover 2016 model Renegades. I'm shopping hard and find the 1.4L turbo engine and manual 6-speed an attractive combination. 4x2 or 4x4 is up in the air for me; I could go either way.

So, has anyone gained a bit more Renegade experience since this topic was last in circulation? What's the good, the bad and the ugly now that the Renegade has been on the road for a year or two?
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 10:27:15 PM »
Well I wrote last Jan I would think hard about getting a car with good gas mileage. I said that "More analysts are saying it will pushing $4/Gal in a year from now".
Well we are most likely going to see a big jump in gas prices. Just today I read this. "Non OPEC countries agree to oil cut.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38276667
So OPEC is cutting and many non OPEC counties are cutting production. How high will the prices rise and how long will they stay together as a cartel + non cartel hold down production?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:47:22 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 11:47:51 PM »
I have a 2002 Honda Civic that has no trouble keeping up. In fact it gets 40MPG @ 80 MPH. 
BTW as for 40 MPG I would be thinking hard about gas prices by the end of this year.
it's about $2.00 a gallon here, (thx Obama)
It looks like OPEC strategy is beginning to work and they are going to squash the the US fracking industry
yet they still insist on a pipeline across Standing Rock Res..

which is going belly up. More analysts are saying it will pushing $4/Gal in a year from now. the annalists might be in cahoots with pollsters..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
Still can't tell you about Renegades but our 2012 GC (60K miles now) and 2016 Wrangler JKU (10k miles so far) continue to be great!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »

Staying away from the first year in any vehicle is a good idea.

That said I owned a '74 Fiat X1/9 and it was a much more reliable car than my '84 Toyota Supra which lunched cams at 35,000 miles and dropped a valve at 110,000.  Sure the Fiat needed more usual maintenance, which I did myself but whenever the Supra needed unscheduled maintenance it was big bucks.  I never worked on the Supra.

Actually the Toyota has been the worst car I've ever owned in nearly 50 years of cars. 
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
Hellcat.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here