Author Topic: Little Goose joins the gaggle  (Read 13158 times)

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
Little Goose joins the gaggle
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »
I could blame Rocker for doing this.  AF1 had some sweet deals on 2015 V7s.  This little Goose followed me home on my 64th birthday.

Already have 160 miles on it.  More to follow...
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

oldbike54

Re: Little Goose joins the gaggle
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
 Cool  :bike-037:

Dusty

Lcarlson

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
Good looking Goose.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:44:44 PM »
 :thumb: Well, A Happy New Year to you!
Kirk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:44:44 PM »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
So for the rest of the story.  I was dropping my Cali Custom off at AF1 for tires and started looking, once again, at the V7s.  I had ridden one in late November and thought about buying it then.  Anyway, prices had come down a little, got a sweet deal with the Bi-turbo shocks and she followed me home.

I did get a 100 mile ride in yesterday, all kinds of roads: highway, twistys, city,  so I have my initial impressions of the bike.
- I'd say the little goose punches above it's weight class.  May only have 48 hp, but it certainly makes the most of them.
- Not sure about the ergonomics.  The V7 feels small, and, when I initially get on the bike I feel a bit cramped.  Interestingly this feeling goes away after a couple of miles.  Riding position may be ok.  I'll give it 1,000 miles before I do anything.
- Seat seems a little hard, but wasn't a problem for the two hours I was on the bike.
- It was a delightful surprise in the twistys - not in the same league as my Ducati, but still fun none the less.  (Didn't drag anything yet as I'm still getting use to the bike).
- Competent on the highway.  I did a few miles at 70 -75 mph.   It was pretty content running at that speed.
- I'm glad I did the shocks.  I'm sure there are better shocks out there, but they are a big improvement over the stock shocks.  I've got to play with the adjustments a bit.

I re-read Rocker's V7 post.  He's certainly a lot more thoughtful about what he wants to do with is V7 than I am with mine.  I know there are changes in the future, just don't know what or when.

I think the the forks will get attention first.  Some bumps I hit on the twistys seemed to upset the front end.  When I upgraded the shocks on my Sportster it really highlighted how crappy the front suspension was on that bike.  I suspect I'm seeing the same thing on the V7.

Beyond the forks I'm not sure what will be next.  I'm thinking about the sump extender, but I wondering if the oil consumption is anecdotal story related to earlier versions of the small block, or if it's still an issue.  One reason I may add the sump is to get a modest increase in the cooling capabilities for the hot Texas summer that's about 3 months away.

More to follow....
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

lucydad

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 08:35:28 AM »
Now that is a smart Little Goose to follow you home!

Have fun, hope to see you two on a TEXAS highway some day.  Love the black/stripe combo.

High speeds are better with a Dart flyscreen...

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
Love the look of the Guzzi Garage springs with the orange/black paint scheme.  I was wondering if they would match up, and it looks like they do nicely.  Congrats on the new bike!
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 09:01:19 AM »
Now that's a sharp looking bike !

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:05:50 AM »
congrats Mike.

If you run out of room in your garage I can store a couple of them for you.  The Monster and Custom come to mind. 

:bow:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:24:04 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

George_S

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »
That is a great looking bike. I guess it will seem small after you ride your Cali.
I am sooo glad I don't live near AF1 racing. I've been admiring their deals for a while now.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
Congrats!    I love that color combo (which is why I bought the one I did).
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Lcarlson

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »
I was not aware that the designation "Custom" or that color scheme was available for model year 2015. I thought is was only the Stone, Racer or Special models, the Specials being available in red or blue with white stripes.  There were also four equipment kits, but none like your bike. How did you find this model?

Offline O

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »
I was not aware that the designation "Custom" or that color scheme was available for model year 2015. I thought is was only the Stone, Racer or Special models, the Specials being available in red or blue with white stripes.  There were also four equipment kits, but none like your bike. How did you find this model?

The OP can confirm or deny, but this looks to be a 2015 V7 Special with shocks from one of the Guzzi Garage equipment kits.  Maybe just something the folks at AF1 put together for fun?
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »
Ha Ha - awesome. They do have a way of getting under your skin!

Enjoy!

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Lcarlson

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
Actually, to answer my own question, I believe it's a 2014 (not 2015) V7 Special. Should have checked before I asked.

Offline O

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 02:33:39 PM »
Actually, to answer my own question, I believe it's a 2014 (not 2015) V7 Special. Should have checked before I asked.

I believe only 2015s got the black headlight bucket.  My 2014 has an all chrome one.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
Nice looking scooter.. :thumb:
I suspect I'm seeing the same thing on the V7.
Ya think?  :evil: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 03:44:32 PM »
Now that is a smart Little Goose to follow you home!

Have fun, hope to see you two on a TEXAS highway some day.  Love the black/stripe combo.

High speeds are better with a Dart flyscreen...

We’ll have to meet up in the Hill Country this spring. 
I had a Dart fly screen on my Bonneville and liked it for the most part.  I really like having my helmet in clear air and find that even a small screen creates some turbulence that can be annoying.  A screen may be in the future, but it is  a ways down on the want list.

Love the look of the Guzzi Garage springs with the orange/black paint scheme.  I was wondering if they would match up, and it looks like they do nicely.  Congrats on the new bike!

The springs on the Biturbos are really red, but they seem to blend in well.

congrats Mike.

If you run out of room in your garage I can store a couple of them for you.  The Monster and Custom come to mind. 

:bow:

John, I'm sure you'd make sure they were ridden often enough that the gasoline stays fresh.  I appreciate the offer but my daughter has a garage that is about 390 miles closer.  :laugh:

That is a great looking bike. I guess it will seem small after you ride your Cali.
I am sooo glad I don't live near AF1 racing. I've been admiring their deals for a while now.

It certainly is a different ride from the Cali.  Regarding AF1 - the new facility they moved to is even closer to my house (big problem).

The OP can confirm or deny, but this looks to be a 2015 V7 Special with shocks from one of the Guzzi Garage equipment kits.  Maybe just something the folks at AF1 put together for fun?

Per the VIN (and my insurance company) it is a 2015 MOTO GUZZI V7 CLASSIC.  I had AF1 put the Biturbo shocks on the bike.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
I could blame Rocker for doing this.   

HaHa!  It will be good fun !!!   :bike-037:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
What a birthday present! Well done. You're in fun some fun.

It started life as a V7 SPECIAL. The insurance company probably just ticked the closest box.

I found the cafe seat to be more comfortable than the stock (and more comfortable & more convenient than the racer seat), especially with the stock footpegs.

As a 2015 model, the bike has been sitting around for a while, and the fork oil may have degraded somewhat. I'd recommend new oil, filled to shop spec (7.5wt & 140ml air space) to give yourself a baseline for comparison. My Special came with Racetech springs & their performance is better than the standard springs on the Classic.

The forks on the Classic have some rust spots at the top of the sliders. Hopefully the gaiters on the Special will help prevent this.

I haven't found any need for the sump extender on either the Classic (1.7 litres) or the Special (2 litres). My Special does not use any oil between changes (the Classic 200-400ml). But then, it doesn't get quite as hot for quite as long here in Sydney.

I didn't find the windscreen useful after mounting rear sets.

The Staintunes made a huge difference to the Classic, but as the Special came with the Mistrals already installed, I don't have a basis for comparison there.

I do find the OEM rear rack very useful, in fact, essential.

I'm currently testing out a Rizoma mirror (Radial Sports) on the Special. Initial impression - superior. May well remove the bar end.

Enjoy your ride!

Mal

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 05:53:21 PM »

Geeze but that's a pretty version.

I wonder what colored gators on the forks would look like to balance those cool period looking colored springs/?

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

rob-mg

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »

That's the rack that replaces the grab bars, right? The product photos are severely foreshortened. This is the first I've seen that suggests its dimensions, and how far back it extends. I've asked my dealer to install one, but I won't see the result until I pick up the bike next month. Very helpful photo. It's exactly what I want.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:17:58 PM by rob-mg »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »
Yes, it replaces the bars. There two racks now available - the second one brought out with the V7 II is shorter & not as firmly mounted. A local rider here has one on his V7 II and after a couple of months was fully rusted up - lousy chroming job. The earlier, and a little bigger Stucchi one is recommendded. Solid as.

rob-mg

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 07:50:50 PM »
Yes, it replaces the bars. There two racks now available - the second one brought out with the V7 II is shorter & not as firmly mounted. A local rider here has one on his V7 II and after a couple of months was fully rusted up - lousy chroming job. The earlier, and a little bigger Stucchi one is recommendded. Solid as.

In the US, two other racks have been available for some time, in "long" and "short" versions, both black. There's an earlier thread here in which someone says that these are prone to rust, and that the one you purchased is a much better choice, despite the significantly higher price. Didn't know about the new shorter chrome rack. In any event, the one you have is what I've arranged for, and looks to be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the photo. It completely allays concerns that it might be shorter than I want.

Like you, for me a rear rack is an essential accessory, and I think it looks pretty good on the bike.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:59:18 PM by rob-mg »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 08:22:28 PM »
You should be more than happy with it. A tip - the welds at the joins have a tendency to rust slightly over time. Every now and again I put a thin film of ACF50 or lanolin on them (often when lubing the side stand, but I'm not religious about it) and that seems to do the trick.

rob-mg

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
You should be more than happy with it. A tip - the welds at the joins have a tendency to rust slightly over time. Every now and again I put a thin film of ACF50 or lanolin on them (often when lubing the side stand, but I'm not religious about it) and that seems to do the trick.

Thanks, will do this.

canuck750

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Nice bike, it bears a decent semblance to the original, I would prefer if Guzzi took a few more ques from the 75 model and offered chrome fenders, alloy flange rims and black exhaust, just my opinion, kinda a purist of original design.

rob-mg

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »
Nice bike, it bears a decent semblance to the original, I would prefer if Guzzi took a few more ques from the 75 model and offered chrome fenders, alloy flange rims and black exhaust, just my opinion, kinda a purist of original design.

Interesting. I was attracted by how the V7 II looks, know nothing about the "original" bike (except that I'm pretty sure that an "original" version doesn't exist), and purchased the V7 II in part because of the new 6 speed transmission and ABS. In fact, I held off for two years because I knew that ABS was coming and wasn't prepared to buy a V7 without it.

What I like is that this is a modern bike and not a copy of an "original".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:08:57 PM by rob-mg »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:13 PM »
alloy fenders are in the accessories catalog, for someone wanting a little more retro with their retro...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »
It started life as a V7 SPECIAL. The insurance company probably just ticked the closest box.

The brand/model is tied to the VIN.  Adding a bike to the insurance is very automated.  Go to the website, key in the VIN and it tells you what you are insuring, ergo the V7 Classic.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a 'Special' sold as an option in the U.S.

I found the cafe seat to be more comfortable than the stock (and more comfortable & more convenient than the racer seat), especially with the stock footpegs.

I'll give the seat a few miles before I make a decision, but there may be a Corbin seat in the little Goose's future.  I have Corbin seats on two other bikes and like them.

My Special came with Racetech springs & their performance is better than the standard springs on the Classic.
Well, after a 160 miles it's pretty obvious that this Goose has the 'standard' fork springs.  That's the next item on my upgrade list.

I haven't found any need for the sump extender on either the Classic (1.7 litres) or the Special (2 litres). My Special does not use any oil between changes (the Classic 200-400ml). But then, it doesn't get quite as hot for quite as long here in Sydney.
That's good to know.  I'll have to keep my eye on oil consumption.

I didn't find the windscreen useful after mounting rear sets.
I try to avoid windscreens when I can.  Only reason I add them is if the wind blast at highway speed starts pulling my shoulders out of their sockets  :laugh:

The Staintunes made a huge difference to the Classic, but as the Special came with the Mistrals already installed, I don't have a basis for comparison there.
This Goose has the standard Classic silencers.  There may be a pair of Agostinis in its future, but that will come after the forks are fixed.

I'm trying to avoid adding a rack but may end up doing so.  This goose will be doing mostly day trips.  I'm hoping to get by with a small tank bag or a small tail bag strapped to the seat.

I'm currently testing out a Rizoma mirror (Radial Sports) on the Special. Initial impression - superior. May well remove the bar end.
Mirrors are next after the forks.  The mirror position on my other Guzzis is just fine, but not so much on this one.  I may need to look into this solution.

Enjoy your ride!

Mal
Good looking bikes.  Thanks for all the comments, and,  I ALWAYS enjoy the ride.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here