Author Topic: Griso Fever - Bought One  (Read 15149 times)

bpreynolds

Griso Fever - Bought One
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:40:33 AM »
If you start with the notion that human beings are innately fickle, fallible creatures who are played upon daily by their very own flighty emotions, fluctuating desires, and often a silly, relentless need in today's society to find happiness on the hour, every hour, then motorcycling makes perfect and even greater sense today than it maybe ever has.  You can buy machines that will satisfy your every whim from looking positively GQ while loping along at 45mph on your cool cafe Royal Enfield to flinging yourself into oblivion on a 180HP 400lb superbike.  It's a high risk, hugely rewarding endeavor that is about as good as any endorphin blast or even non-legal drug you can acquire.  It's safe and ridiculous to say I am hooked.  From about the age of 8 to 17, I loved dirt and scuttled constantly about in southeastern KY, making trails literally through the Appalachian mountains or finding that abandoned strip job that practically offered a ready made indoor motocross field right in my backyard.  At 17 I got more interested in cars, girls, college, and getting the heck outta Dodge since the idiot kid I was wanted to get as far away from the hills as possible. 

I didn't get back on a bike again until some 13 or so years ago when I thought it would be cool to have a 2 wheeled vehicle to commute to work on and save gas money.  I initially wanted a Vespa, but bikes seemed to have better brakes and handling so I went in that direction and rode off the lot on a sparkling new 250 Hyosung.  I was both the kit and the caboodle if nowhere else except my mind.  The street bug finally bit me.  And it still bites me daily even today. 

In fact, it is a bug that must carry with it what I can only refer to as Griso Fever.  Like no other motorcycle I can recall, I would get this affliction about every 2-3 years since the bike was released.  It would start with a kind of pining and then rapidly advance to heart bursting need to acquire one.  The only cure being to eventually get to a dealer, sit upon one, promptly wipe the sweat off my brow from what must be a finally breaking 104F body heat, then immediately declare the bike as ridiculous and unrideable.  What a stupid bike, that Griso.  How dare it manipulate me in such manner.  I am so glad I could finally get to a dealer doctor where I could acquire treatment and only then plainly see its confounding ergos to my 32" inseam, its Pavarotti wideness at my knees, its seeming unkindness to my lower back.  So happy I could kill that Griso Fever.  Until strangely, it would strike again two or three years later and I'd repeat the entire process as if nothing prior had even occurred.  I am mostly a silly man.

And being silly, superficial, and living on a mere public library manager income, to satisfy my biking wants without proper patience nor wise judgment as many on this board, I have gone from bike to bike to bike.  I've let some really fantastic motorcycles go this way, but I've largely remained happy doing it even if the bike sold or traded had been a loving and dedicated machine.  A veritable Tiger Woods with regard to motorcycles.  How I've remained faithful to my wife - largely credit to her and not me - and my job is any wonder if you look at the way bikes come and go in my garage.  I've probably logged about 100k miles on Guzzis and to date I've owned 4 Calis, a brand new 2011 Stelvio, and a brand new 2015 Stone.  All beloved bikes in their own way.  All now gone.

Prosecution presents Exhibit A, mere months ago I had a thread on here about how my 2015 Stone was the greatest motorcycle ever.  And I meant it, and still mean it.  But it was traded to this gnarly animal below.  Someday I may likely regret this, especially given how incredibly fickle and unfriendly the Griso's peg placement seems to my inseam.  But who cares really.  If you own what is the equivalent of Sophia Loren in motorcycledom, then why quibble about her sometimes "difficult" personality; rather, you try and hope she'll be less difficult as you proceed.

I dropped off the V7 on Saturday morning and picked this one up from Craig and the fantastic fellas at C and D in Robinson Illinois, same place I got my Stone.  If anyone is looking for a low mileage Stone with a couple fantastic accessories, do give them a call.  I can't say enough good things about them. 

As per the Griso, a fella had traded it in with only 4973 miles, Agostini can, Hepco soft luggage, and Karoake(?) throttle lock. 

I could and maybe should here do a giant write-up about it, but why bother really.  Everything that can be said has been said better by other folks on here.  Suffice to say the engine and that Agostini pipe, while kinda fugly in my opinion, is like an aural slab of the best steak you've had in your life.  Buttery is how I used to describe my Stelvio and the Griso is the same when churning along, but a good deal more rowdy when you wick it up.  Last night upon returning home from the day's ride, I could not stop giggling.  Inside the house I was laughing and doing a stupid little dance even.  I've made up at least five or six excuses in three days to go to the garage just so I can look at it.  My wife is worried I have morphed into a ten year old boy.  She should be worried because I truly may have.  Viva L'Italia!

I'll ride it for a few weeks before any changes made, but initially it would seem I'd like the pegs back and down a bit more.  Maybe the Vario pegs and a Corbin saddle might do the trick?  Also, I believe the original owner had wrapped the pipes and left some shadowing on the headers and such from wrap but I'm working on that now.

Furry fellar Tink approves of the purchase as you can see below. Some pics taken with my crappy android are too red, pics taken with ipad are almost too orange.  The truth is somewhere in-between but gorgeous nonetheless. 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Griso Fever - Bought One
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
HA Ha - you are fickle and funny.

Nice bike, a lot to like there.

Enjoy!!!!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »
Wow, after your V7 lovefest, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!  Congrats on the new bike.  I do love the looks of the Griso, and 2nd to the Tenni, the red/black is my favorite Griso incarnation.  Bravo to you for following your heart and throwing caution to the wind on the trade-in.  Happy riding!
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
Congratulations, that's a sharp looking one ! 

Keep us posted on what modifications you may make --

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
Beautiful Bike!!!!!

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »
She is a beaut , the Griso IMO is one of the nicest Guzzis yet and yours looks VERY nICE INDEED ::::

There IS ANOTHER site you may like ..Griso Ghetto..  as well as this one ..interesting chaps there and lots of specifics to the Griso 

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:23:56 AM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »
OK Dilliw, you're next......
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »
Pretty bike, congrats on the new purchase.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »
That is one bad looking ride.. congrats! You'll be glad you are
A veritable Tiger Woods with regard to motorcycles.
now. You sound like you are already. Give the peg placement and general ergos a chance to grow on you. Pete's sort of a gorilla, and he thinks the Grease O was built for him.
Did I mention thats a really bad looking ride??  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
You can't eat just one....
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »
Wow, after your V7 lovefest, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!  Congrats on the new bike.  I do love the looks of the Griso, and 2nd to the Tenni, the red/black is my favorite Griso incarnation.  Bravo to you for following your heart and throwing caution to the wind on the trade-in.  Happy riding!

:1:  I have to say, not knowing your history, I'd have thought that your V7 Stone was your soulmate for life.     I know a lot of people here think that the Tenni is the finest looking Griso, but, I have to say, I think that the red & black is the best.    Italian bikes look good in red, or at least with some red on them.  That is one fine looking motorbike!   :thumb:

Congratulations, and enjoy it until your next love interest comes along later this year.   :evil:

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
Oh, she IS a saucy tart, that one is!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

bpreynolds

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
HA Ha - you are fickle and funny.

Nice bike, a lot to like there.

Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, Kev.  And thanks to all who have posted congrats and messages. 

:1:  I have to say, not knowing your history, I'd have thought that your V7 Stone was your soulmate for life.     I know a lot of people here think that the Tenni is the finest looking Griso, but, I have to say, I think that the red & black is the best.    Italian bikes look good in red, or at least with some red on them.  That is one fine looking motorbike!   :thumb:

Congratulations, and enjoy it until your next love interest comes along later this year.   :evil:

This year?  You mean like, as in months from now?  Whoa!  Take it easy there, fella.  Let's start with some days and work our way into weeks first, okay?   :wink: :thumb: :boozing:

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 02:38:32 PM »
Great post that we all can lay claim too.   And my personal favorite....  "This may be my last bike"....

It is a beautiful bike...  :^)  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:39:45 PM by SemperVee »
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 03:12:05 PM »
I think you will regret selling the Stone.  Having said that, I've always had a bad jones for a Griso.  I thought long and hard about one before pulling the trigger on a V7S.   It's just a bad-ass looking motorcycle.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »
There's absolutely no hope for you, whatsoever. If you can give up the V7 for the Griso, then I'm afraid you have been stricken with a particularly vigorous variant of the Guzzi disease that seems to be incurable. There is a support group for those who have also contracted this ailment that will help you cope, and even learn to live an otherwise full & rewarding life. You don't have to suffer alone. Check in at the ghetto.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 03:21:41 PM »
OK Dilliw, you're next......

Beautiful Bike! 

And yes I've been pulling the trigger on a Griso since 2007 but so far nothing has come out the barrel.  If I could have made it up to Baltimore this past weekend I'd could have had one but it didn't work out.   I'm Jealous!!!

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »
Congratulations! Could have told you all along.....
That red&black does look mean!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
That is a nice looking color combo on the Griso...

I would look into the fuel map. The headpipes look a little 'hot' and maybe running lean. You can get rid of the liver spots with some elbow grease and some Mother's metal polish (Napa has similar).

Knight Design 1" drop pegs transformed the bike for me (6' tall)
Dialing in the suspenders also made the bike VERY enjoyable (away from harsh)

bpreynolds

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »
That is a nice looking color combo on the Griso...

I would look into the fuel map. The headpipes look a little 'hot' and maybe running lean. You can get rid of the liver spots with some elbow grease and some Mother's metal polish (Napa has similar).

Knight Design 1" drop pegs transformed the bike for me (6' tall)
Dialing in the suspenders also made the bike VERY enjoyable (away from harsh)

Fueling seemed about right on the way home but I did ask Craig and Don at C and D to adjust the valves prior to pickup - Don said it did need a bit of adjustment.  The headers definitely seem to have had wrap on them sometime but whatever.  I'll figure it out.  At least it's not solid, melted goop or something, mainly just discoloration and shadowing.

Thanks for the word on the Knight Design pegs.  I'll check into them or the Varios, one or the other.  I do think I would like the pegs further from me arse, but also back too so the Varios -which seem to swing back a bit, not just down - are still on the radar as an option.  It will stay as it sits for a short while and then we'll see.  I understand the Corbin seat also provides some additional clearance if desired. 

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 04:38:45 PM »

It's called Big Block Fever.  There is no cure.  You have taken the appropriate action to treat the disease.
(Enjoy the Griso)  :thumb:
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »
So much for peace and quite at the library, you'll have to  coast her in for a landing.  :grin: What took so long? Life is short ya know. Hope you thoroughly enjoy it, it is a beauty!

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »
It's called Big Block Fever.  There is no cure.  You have taken the appropriate action to treat the disease.
(Enjoy the Griso)  :thumb:
Big Block Fever  .....  like it!   :thumb:
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 05:36:29 PM »
Congrats on the Griso!  I did not like the red/black Color scheme at first.  But man, that is really nice.  (Hmm....time to upgrade the 1100?)   

The Corbin will sit you up a little higher than stock.  I have a like new (black with red welt) if your interested.  It positions me just a little to far forward.  I'm 6' 1" about 230# so I need a little more breathing room.   :laugh:    love that pipe also!

Have fun

Randy

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
Congrats!  I like that red!

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 08:04:48 PM »
is that the copper color or red. . . either way- looks sharp!
congrats.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 09:52:30 PM »
Congrats BP...GREAT acquisition there!

I'm having a deja vu moment...just got to ride that very same Griso this weekend...parked in my garage at the moment, taking care of it for a friend for a while!  Interesting observation on the pipes discoloring...notic eable difference to the new one.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:55:01 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »

I've probably logged about 100k miles on Guzzis and to date I've owned 4 Calis, a brand new 2011 Stelvio, and a brand new 2015 Stone.

Lovely Griso  :drool:

But if this disease gets any worse you may have to get a Scura.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:39:30 PM »
Stop it! You make me lust after a Griso!  :grin: Although I would love to get my hands on a roller tenni! :grin: Not sure they even exist
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 12:19:01 AM »
 Great write up Bipper  :bow: you get ,

FIVE ATTABOYS !

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here