Author Topic: FJR vs Norge?  (Read 12219 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: FJR vs Norge?
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2017, 06:21:54 AM »
The Norge takes forever to brake in. My bike did not loosen up until 8-9,000 miles.
It's break in for heaven's sake.. Braking takes less time, and if it takes a long time to wear in it'll take a long time to wear out.

Offline gvw

• New Egg
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »
I have a Norge and are 6'2" and 34" inseam.  No problems with the ergos.  If people didn't keep bringing it up, I would not notice it. My wife is 5'9" and doesn't have a problem with the pillion peg height. I came off 5 years with a Tenni Griso and didn't have any problems there either.  I did full Matris, added the top box so my wife can sit back, Agostini exhaust without db killer and installed Beetle's Norge map through Guzzidiag and it is good enough for me.

I sometimes wonder if the ergo problem is the same as the non-existent Guzzi shaft drive jacking that every second reviewer seems to reference just so they can have something to put in.

Just in case it might be better because the problem is so bad for many, I bought some Goldwing foot pegs for $70 shipped (just get two left springs and fits perfectly) and put them on in about 5 minutes this week.  Will test them out this weekend and if I don't like will switch it back in even less time.

One of my friends has an FJR, is a daily rider and loves it a lot but does not appeal to me one bit - he did redo his pegs, seat and screen also. I bought my Norge new for $10,700 including taxes and shipping - his was well over $17k out the door. He looks down on my primitive low tech underpowered bike but I paid cash, he financed.  Have not ridden the FJR but I did spend a couple of weeks touring Japan on an R1200RT and it was perfect... so perfect it was like riding a sewing machine.  No connection to the bike and if I was a BMW rider would be continually upgrading to the new model each year or two.  That is my impression of what riding an FJR would be. 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
I have a Norge and are 6'2" and 34" inseam.  No problems with the ergos.  If people didn't keep bringing it up, I would not notice it. My wife is 5'9" and doesn't have a problem with the pillion peg height. I came off 5 years with a Tenni Griso and didn't have any problems there either.  I did full Matris, added the top box so my wife can sit back, Agostini exhaust without db killer and installed Beetle's Norge map through Guzzidiag and it is good enough for me.

I sometimes wonder if the ergo problem is the same as the non-existent Guzzi shaft drive jacking that every second reviewer seems to reference just so they can have something to put in.

Just in case it might be better because the problem is so bad for many, I bought some Goldwing foot pegs for $70 shipped (just get two left springs and fits perfectly) and put them on in about 5 minutes this week.  Will test them out this weekend and if I don't like will switch it back in even less time.

One of my friends has an FJR, is a daily rider and loves it a lot but does not appeal to me one bit - he did redo his pegs, seat and screen also. I bought my Norge new for $10,700 including taxes and shipping - his was well over $17k out the door. He looks down on my primitive low tech underpowered bike but I paid cash, he financed.  Have not ridden the FJR but I did spend a couple of weeks touring Japan on an R1200RT and it was perfect... so perfect it was like riding a sewing machine.  No connection to the bike and if I was a BMW rider would be continually upgrading to the new model each year or two.  That is my impression of what riding an FJR would be.
The second paragraph said it all GVW. Spot on. What year is your Norge ? Some of the BS that's spread about the Norge ergo's is just nit picking non speak. The thing that's got me rooted, is how guys can buy these bikes and THEN realise that they don't like some insignificant little feature. What sort of "test" ride did they have...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:45:49 AM by Huzo »

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
Had to chime in.....I have ridden several FJR's although not this years model.  They all felt too small and narrow.....if you know what I mean. I ended up buying a ST1300 instead, since in the world of sport touring the ST leans more toward touring, while the FJR  leans more toward sport IMHO.  I'm sure the Yamaha is faster, but if I wanted that fast, I would be looking in a whole nother class of bikes.
Having said all that, when I bought the 12 Norge, I shortly after sold the ST........so here I am.....Norge my favorite...hands down.  Buy one of each and then you have no dilemma!!
Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »
Had to chime in.....I have ridden several FJR's although not this years model.  They all felt too small and narrow.....if you know what I mean. I ended up buying a ST1300 instead, since in the world of sport touring the ST leans more toward touring, while the FJR  leans more toward sport IMHO.  I'm sure the Yamaha is faster, but if I wanted that fast, I would be looking in a whole nother class of bikes.
Having said all that, when I bought the 12 Norge, I shortly after sold the ST........so here I am.....Norge my favorite...hands down.  Buy one of each and then you have no dilemma!!
Tim
Yes you'd still have a dilemma. If the FJR was closest to the door, you'd have to drag the bastard out of the way to get your good bike out !

oldbike54

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »
It's break in for heaven's sake.. Braking takes less time, and if it takes a long time to wear in it'll take a long time to wear out.

For heaven's sake , don't be a grammar nazi .

Dusty
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:26:28 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
For heavens sake , don't be a grammar nazi .

Dusty
Yeah fair point Dusty.. By the way it's heaven's sake not heavens, that would be the plural of heaven and it's actually a spelling and punctuation error, but if that comes in under the broad heading of grammar, I'll stand to be educated. Oh and also, I was sorta' joking. And sorta' is colloquial so not a mistake strictly speaking. Also, remember the sense of humour thing of which you made mention ? (I did the decent thing and left out the fact that Nazi is a noun and should therefore contain a capital). :azn:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:33:19 PM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
 Notice I corrected my error before you decided to be a nazi , which was purposely spelled with a small n to make a point .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2017, 04:21:11 AM »
Notice I corrected my error before you decided to be a nazi , which was purposely spelled with a small n to make a point .

Dusty
It's all in fun Dusty, as also with you I know.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
I have no dog in this fight and haven't even read the thread.  But I did ride a 1400 Concours and a 8v Norge within a week of each other. 

Frankly I was surprised with the similarities than differences.  Both bikes had similar feel and ergonomics.  Frankly, the "less is more" Norge was my preference.  Less weight and less power, better suspension and feel worked for me.  In the real world, both had responsive torque curves and I think Norge goes around road curves better.  I suppose it's the extra 3k rpms where you'll feel the Kaw's 50 more hp?

Haven't ridden the FJR but riding with FJR riders, they are fast bikes that go around corners.  It appears that FJRs have replaced the old 1000 Concours as the Japanese sport tourer of choice. Honda went out of the game when riders complained that ST1300 gave off too much heat to be comfortable in summer.

Finally, I consider these as one up bikes for touring, not two-up full-on tourers like a 'wing or RT.

Having said all that,  I think that FJ09 might be the one to consider.  I am not fond of the looks, but it's light and powerful, the suspension is upgradable.  And then there that new Duc SS that's got the jones on.....
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »
The Honda ST1300 was one of two bikes I wish I had bought when I had the chance.  The other was a V45 Sabre back in the early 80's.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here