Author Topic: NGC: iMac question: Fusion or Flash drive?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
NGC: iMac question: Fusion or Flash drive?
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »
Going to buy my first Apple computer, an iMac. Does anyone have experience and advice on which drive to get... The 1TB Fusion drive or the 256GB Flash drive?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC: iMac question: Fusion or Flash drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »
Flash - hands down.  If you find you need a ton of storage buy an external disk - which you should do anyway.  Run Time Machine Backup to the external drive.  Automagically backs up your system every hour.  Has saved my butt more than once.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

rob-mg

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:20:30 PM »
Going to buy my first Apple computer, an iMac. Does anyone have experience and advice on which drive to get... The 1TB Fusion drive or the 256GB Flash drive?

Here's my view as the owner of a 2015 27" iMac.

I was only interested in how much space I needed for applications (as distinct from data), whether I wanted that space to be solid state, and how much RAM and processing power I needed to run those applications.

For my needs, I have a 512GB flash drive, 32GB of RAM and the mid-level processor. This is much more than what most people need. Unless you are processing very large, complex files, a 256GB drive, and 16GB RAM is plenty.

With this caveat. I don't keep data on my computer. I use a Thunderbolt port and hard disk external drive to store all of my original data, and a USB port and hard disk external drive to back up that data. While there alternatives, like mjptexas above I use Time Machine to take care of the backups.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:40:34 PM by rob-mg »

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:57 PM »
Have you looked at a Mac Mini? Much lower price, and you can use your current monitor. And if a monitor dies, it ain't married to your computer.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:57 PM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 10:10:21 PM »
I have a 1TB Imac but I boot from external SSD use imac for files and the SSD  for fast processing..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Don Ivey

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:14:16 AM »
Flash - hands down.  If you find you need a ton of storage buy an external disk - which you should do anyway.  Run Time Machine Backup to the external drive.  Automagically backs up your system every hour.  Has saved my butt more than once.

Does it just back up changes since last back up, or do the whole thing every hour?  Thanks,

Don Ivey
'83 1000SP
'88 KLR650
'87 Carrera

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »
I'd vote for flash drive.  If you need more space than that then an external drive or cards (don't know if Mac's take cards or not, they are handy). 

Unless you do a lot of picture/film type stuff then 256GB is way more than enough.  I have that on my little PC and it is enough to hold all my CAD files as well as the normal stuff.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »
It depends on how deep your pockets are, of course.  I opted for a late 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro with 1 TB of flash, no HD.  I take it everywhere I go, including almost all motorcycle rides.  Hard drives are pretty rugged these days, but with flash there are no moving parts to get jarred loose.  I have about 750 GB of music on the computer, as well as all my other data going back to about 1986(!).  All encrypted, of course.  It's the best computer I've ever had and I think it will go quite a few more years before it's obsolete.  I use a 2 TB HD for backup at home, but another option would have been backing up everything to iCloud.  I realize that the OP asked about iMacs, but I use my laptop instead of a desktop for everything.  One less computer needed. There's money to be saved, in the long run, by getting something that's versatile and won't need to be replaced soon.  The same logic applies to motorcycles (Guzzi V7II content).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:45:01 AM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
Does it just back up changes since last back up, or do the whole thing every hour?  Thanks,

After Time Machine does the first backup it makes incremental backups.  lt manages the number of backups retained to the amount of space allocated. As the backups age it will delete all but the last one taken in a day and retain daily backups.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
Have you looked at a Mac Mini? Much lower price, and you can use your current monitor. And if a monitor dies, it ain't married to your computer.

:1: Just replaced my Macbook pro with the mid level Mac Mini. 8 Gigs of ram and 1 TB Hard drive. Lighting fast. About half the price of an iMac.
If you are currently running a Windows computer format your drive for Boot Camp and you can move a lot of your Windows software to whatever current Windows OS you prefer. I am using Win8. Forget about Fusion or Parallels. They slow the computer considerably and you rarely need to run Windows on the Mac side.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:53:33 AM by PeteS »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here