Author Topic: One of those days  (Read 12256 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: One of those days
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
Just wondering if the lash is as pronounced as you describe, maybe have a trusted friend show you how to check your rear sprocket bolts for tightness and rear Cush drive. Maybe you already know, but when you're on the bike feet up, there should be something like 1" slack but probably no more than that, check front sprocket retaining nut as well but that most likely would not give that much lash given that it's splined

HardAspie

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »
Just wondering if the lash is as pronounced as you describe, maybe have a trusted friend show you how to check your rear sprocket bolts for tightness and rear Cush drive. Maybe you already know, but when you're on the bike feet up, there should be something like 1" slack but probably no more than that, check front sprocket retaining nut as well but that most likely would not give that much lash given that it's splined

I rather suspect the hub may be the issue. At the moment my left arm is but regaining usefulness and bike is in a friend's garage. Most of my bikes have been chain drive and I have never been scared by lash; never been laid low.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:08 PM »
Just be careful or they may start calling you Madam Lash, Jeez I hope no one thinks of that !!!!

HardAspie

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
Could be worse, in the old days we called it snatch.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Oh and just ONE more thing, Don't give up your lovely bike, I don't know where I read it but someone once said "90% of life is the other 10%", the "other 10%" is where your bike lives, not in your friends garage, that's just where it is at the moment. Don't forget Laura, YOU are part of what makes up that "other 10%", because the remaining 90% wouldn't have the guts to get out and do it in the first bloody place like you do. The only rabbit that never gets into trouble is the one that never leaves the burrow....

HardAspie

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 09:46:36 PM »
 :boozing: Thanks Huzo!

kirby1923

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 10:00:50 PM »
Hang in there, there is always a storm cloud about but new horizon's are hard to resist by the true enthusiast!

The old cliché is "get back on the horse", life is to short not to!

:-)

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05:41 PM »
Glad your injuries were tolerable and seemingly not permanently debilitating.

Don't give up or sell yourself short.  Why?  Take me as a bad example.

In 2009 I dumped an ST1300 at 5 mph (oil slick at intersection).  Me, I was at 69 years of age.

Bike was OK (love those crash wings on the ST).  Me? Compound spiral tib/fib fracture of the left leg.

"Knowing" I would never be able to ride again I sold my bike and even my wife's scooter (for which she has never forgiven me).  Both moves were stupid.

Then an amazing thing happened.  Wife made me get another bike (guess I was getting too mean without one).  In a year or so I found solace in a big scooter, and later with a Guzzi 750. 

http://dansher.com/bikepix/2011May/index.html

What if I'd have quit too soon?

Now I'm 76 - life and wife are wonderful.  If I die as a bug splat on the grille of a PeterBilt.. well, it was doing what I loved.

Sit back, take a breath, and heal.  Sell the Wolf that betrayed you if need be - but don't stop riding altogether.  You may never be truly happy without a two wheeler. 

'Geezer

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

HardAspie

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »
Glad your injuries were tolerable and seemingly not permanently debilitating.

Don't give up or sell yourself short.  Why?  Take me as a bad example.

In 2009 I dumped an ST1300 at 5 mph (oil slick at intersection).  Me, I was at 69 years of age.

Bike was OK (love those crash wings on the ST).  Me? Compound spiral tib/fib fracture of the left leg.

"Knowing" I would never be able to ride again I sold my bike and even my wife's scooter (for which she has never forgiven me).  Both moves were stupid.

Then an amazing thing happened.  Wife made me get another bike (guess I was getting too mean without one).  In a year or so I found solace in a big scooter, and later with a Guzzi 750. 

http://dansher.com/bikepix/2011May/index.html

What if I'd have quit too soon?

Now I'm 76 - life and wife are wonderful.  If I die as a bug splat on the grille of a PeterBilt.. well, it was doing what I loved.

Sit back, take a breath, and heal.  Sell the Wolf that betrayed you if need be - but don't stop riding altogether.  You may never be truly happy without a two wheeler. 

'Geezer

"betrayed" that is it. I've had tank slappers and other types of poor behaviour before. But never have I been injured to the point of being incapable of getting back on the beast and riding off. I could not ride it again yet if I wanted. The Wolf bit me.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 10:24:26 PM »
:boozing: Thanks Huzo!
No worries! I've got nothing but admiration for people in your position who get off their bums and go out and have a go. Every biker on this forum knows the feeling you had when you dropped poor Wolfie, they just had to be at their personal threshold at that moment, but the feeling is the same for them/us as it is for you because you ARE us. Now here's the plan Laura..... Find that same trusted friend and go out for dinner if it's appropriate, have a few drinks, then a couple more, that'll take away the pain in your arm so that's sorted... Now, armed with a s--t load of spanners (that's wrenches to you), go around to see Wolfie 'cos he'll be wondering if he's still in trouble, and bloody well sort out that looseness in the rear end, 'cos heaven knows, no one needs looseness in the rear end. When you're damn well good and ready, that first ride will feel liberating, probably more so than when you got him new.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
Could be worse, in the old days we called it snatch.
Um, yeah..... If you've any Aussie friends over there, run that by them and see what they say....

HardAspie

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
I still have the bug alright, but pretty sure not for Wolfie. Oh yeah, the olde term for lash! Language does drift.

Online Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 10:33:59 PM »
The SYM Wolf is a 150cc Taiwanese made bike that is based on Honda's CB125. 19hp and very light. So many tip overs happen at crawl speeds that most of us can relate to Laura's experience. But based on the injury sustained under these circumstances, and that she could not get such a light bike off her foot, I would agree with Laura that motorcycling may be something that she can live without. Osteoporosis is unforgiving. Crashing at 40 mph may have been fatal.
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

HardAspie

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
The SYM Wolf is a 150cc Taiwanese made bike that is based on Honda's CB125. 19hp and very light. So many tip overs happen at crawl speeds that most of us can relate to Laura's experience. But based on the injury sustained under these circumstances, and that she could not get such a light bike off her foot, I would agree with Laura that motorcycling may be something that she can live without. Osteoporosis is unforgiving. Crashing at 40 mph may have been fatal.

You just nailed it to the wall my friend.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »
look, Look I was a Postie here in Australia for 35 years, I've had bikes since age 15 and I'm 58 now. Just before I retired I slid off the bike a Honda CT 110, in the mud, the foot peg held my foot in the mud and I could not lift the bike off myself to save my life, it's because you can't get your support under to be able to stand up. I'd suggest not to instil a defeatist attitude into another person while they are down, and don't draw hour sword 'cos you think I'm having a swipe because I'm not. Motorcycling is something we can ALL live without, it's just the fortunate among us choose not to.

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
Feather that clutch
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2016, 03:42:32 AM »
Like everyone else, I'ved dropped my bikes.  The worst was a slow speed 180 degree turn, feet on the pegs, four MPH, 10 of my buddies watching, my R100GSPD in 1st gear stalled and bam, I was down in a flash. I'd made the classic mistake.  "Always feather a clutch when in first gear maneuvers."   

Fortune smiled on me.  The pain of embarrassment was far greater than injury.   I'd failed to follow that rule and now always slip the clutch in low speed maneuvers.  Once was enough.

Ciao,
Dick

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:44:50 AM by racasey »
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2016, 04:21:27 AM »
Yep Racey, that's a familiar scenario isn't it ? I think the issue that needs thought is that Hardaspie is considering ditching bikes or changing to another one. I'm hoping she doesn't think that will negate the chance of another spill. Ya just have to wait till your pain goes away then see what you want to do then, she said that Wolfie bit me, well that's true but by her own admission it was a riding error, so all the best to her, it would be a sad way to exit your riding career.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2016, 04:43:07 AM »
I hope you don't quit riding, you started riding for a reason that is still valid. When I was struggling with that question I decided to use the old timers that are still riding as a role model, a decision I don't regret. As the years and disease take their toll, I ran out of turn signals so I put a sidecar on. Turn signals are the first thing to break when I fall over. I think that as intelligent as you seem to be ,you will have many trouble free miles if you choose to keep riding.  This quote may help with healing: " I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous "
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2016, 05:01:13 AM »
Love that last bit. Priceless, very witty.

canuguzzi

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 07:29:42 AM »

Crashing at 40 mph could have been fatal for anyone including those in the best physical condition, of young years and wearing armor, a Schuberth and Terminator boots and Iron Man gloves. A fall at 5 mph can be fatal to - to anyone.

Depending on which legs was caught under the bike and its orientation, the strongest among us might not be able to lift the bikes we ride off our leg if we are laying on the ground.

She did all the right things and as a result got home. Like any traumatic experience it can take time to collect thoughts, desire and motivation to enjoy the activity again, the choice is hers to make and thankfully, that choice remains.

My hopes for a good recovery and satisfaction in the choice she makes regardless of what that is.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2016, 07:38:09 AM »
Sorry to hear about this development HardAspie.  45 years astride a bike, I think you probably have a pretty good frame of reference to deliberate from. Regardless, I hope we continue to enjoy your input here.

here's to a speedy rehab for that bum arm! :boozing:
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2016, 07:46:53 AM »
Obviously I don't want to say you are lucky, ..... BUT.... most of us do a major dismount in front of buddies who hold up score cards and laugh.... :laugh:. You will get past this. Then when your blood has cooled, you will make a correct choice. Get a buddy to test ride the wolf and see if the lash is excessive. If so, make 'em fix it. Good luck!
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »
  Okay I googled sym wolf.  It does look like the Honda 125 updated just a little.
 The pictures I saw showed low set handlebars like a cafe bike.  These do not offer much leverage at parking lot speeds.  If you had bars that were maybe 4 inches higher, you might not have fallen.
 When you are able to ride again, see if you can try someones bike with that.  Then decide if you want to change bars or change bikes.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. I hope you heal soon!

My wife encountered a low-speed issue with her new Triumph Bonneville, her first motorcycle. She grabbed the front brake while the front wheel was turned. There was no damage to her or her bike, but she never rode it again after that.

Fortunately, there was another PTW solution for her, a Vespa 150 Sprint with ABS. She loves it and has not stopped riding it. Last night, we rode our Vespas 50 miles along country roads, stopping for burgers and shakes along the way.

Two wheels feels like freedom, whether powered or not.

Have you ever considered a scooter? I love my Vespa, too, and have almost as many miles on it as I do on my Norge. My motorcycle is much faster, but the Vespa is far easier to ride and tremendous fun!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Red Dog

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
and developed a major Reynaud's circulatory problem that left my fingertips blue.

Sorry for your misfortune & I agree with all the advice being given.  I have the Reynaud's also & it is a PITA.  Beautiful sunny morning here in Florida & I'm wearing gloves while riding to the diner.  Go in take off the gloves & two fingers on the left hand are blue.

Anyway I have found that there is an area on my back that seems to trigger the symptoms if it gets cold.  By cold I mean that it can be a 90 degree day & a breeze blows down the neck of my jacket while riding and the fingers go numb.  My wife & I have been walking in a sunny field and passed into the shade of a tree & there is enough temp change to make the fingers go numb.  I try to keep my back warm is what I am trying to say, it may not work for you but it is worth a try.

That being said I did injure my back many years ago in the same spot so that may be the cause.  My wife is also a healer & has been able to do both "energy work" & massage & herbs to keep me going.

Blessings to you & I hope you find relief soon.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2016, 02:29:04 PM »
Obviously I don't want to say you are lucky, ..... BUT.... most of us do a major dismount in front of buddies who hold up score cards and laugh.... :laugh:.

And.....also in front of a small group of HD riders.  Score cards from friends and sneers from the pirates.  And that was when stopped at a gas pump.  I was just glad I could my leg out from under it.  Steel side cases (large ammo cans) are great as rear crash bars!

Hope you heal quickly.  Whether or not you ride more is up to you.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
Being able to get the motorcycle off of your body after a crash depends mostly on the specifics of the crash.  Last fall when I last took my 180 lb Yamaha DT100 to the track, I crashed in a turn and my boot got caught on the shift lever with the bike on top of me.  I was face-down on the track with my leg bent up behind me, and if I had been alone in the wilderness, I may have starved to death before getting myself free.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Craig in Alabama

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 04:41:47 PM »
Hi Laura,

I don't post much but I read all of your posts when you were searching for another bike and decided on the Wolf. I was as excited for you as you seemed to be excited about getting another bike. I'm really sorry to hear about your fall and hope you get back to 100% soon!

If you decide to give it another go when you're ready, the circumstances surrounding this will be with you all the time, but that's just another tool in the box. I once watched a good friend (and very experienced rider) drop his brand new Ducati 851 the very day he bought it while he was doing a u-turn in front of my house. The limited turning radius got him. He'll never forget it and neither will I. I've been known to do a 10-point back and forth maneuver just to get my bike pointed in the right direction when I've left a precarious parking situation just to err on the side of caution. Looks funny to my friends, but I don't care.

All bikes have their idiosyncrasies and I guess you found Wolfie's. The situations where we aren't expecting anything dramatic to happen are when they usually do, unfortunately. No matter what you decide to do, you've at least reminded a bunch of us that we need to be careful all the time, even when we're just leaving a parking lot.

Best wishes and cheers!
Craig
22 V85TT Travel
98 V11EV
05 Suzuki DL-650

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »
Bummer of an incident.

Here's to getting back on the horse.

And don't anyone "fixer it" for me... I know she's riding a Wolf-ette.

If you can't find adjustment/repair to address an excessive lash scenario, try the clutch.

1995 Moto Guzzi Spots are notoriously lash-tastic and I never gain throttle from an off throttle situation that I don't ease it on with the clutch. It sounds excessive but works well and with 30,000 on what is supposed to be an underwhelming clutch - it's apparently not abusive either.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2016, 07:16:04 PM »
We have the rally coming up in less than a month now so I'm hoping you can get mended and ride that Wolf over to the rally before any "rash" decisions are made.

Once you are mended up and perhaps put a couple short rides in, either learn the the quirks of the bike or fix it; then see if it's something you want/should continue.

I dropped the CB in the parking lot this week.  :thewife: Very loose gravel (it's all they got) and the case savers didn't. Just scratches and no damage to me other than a possible pulled tendon in the foot. Seems fine now. I hate gravel. It has caused me no end of grief the past few years.

In the end, it's something you'll have to decide on your own. You can't be a good rider if you don't have confidence in yourself or the bike. Gut feeling is that you need to spend a few more hours on the Wolf (or rides) to confirm the decision to ditch it. Or not. But you'll make the right one.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here