Author Topic: CalVin 2007 Replacement Battery?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Gooze

• New Egg
CalVin 2007 Replacement Battery?
« on: July 08, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »
What battery make/type have you used as an OEM replacement on CalVin?

The CalVin battery compartment is quite a bit smaller vs. earlier models, the Jackals and alike.

Odyssey's (my normal choice for other Guzzies) seem to be too big in physical dimensions.
'07 Guzzi V11 CalVin w/ Tomahawk SE Sidecar
'04 Guzzi V11 Le Mans (Red)
'01 Guzzi V11 Sport Greenie
'99 Guzzi V11 Bassa w/ Tomahawk SE Sidecar
'72 Guzzi LAPD Ambassador Authentic Police Bike

MGNOC L-853

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: CalVin 2007 Replacement Battery?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
I believe that is the same size as my 2004 EV, with the canister and tools beside the battery.

My original Spark battery lasted 11 years. It was getting weak, but still working. I replaced it with an Odyssey PC680-P last winter.
Just a bit over one year later, that Odyssey got where it wouldn't start the bike. 
A local BMW shop had a pricey Yuasa YT19BL-BS AGM that I put in. It is a bit taller and barely fits. I only have a couple of months on it so I don't know how it will be in the long run
The Odyssey has a two year warranty, and I eventually got a free replacement. I had a bad luck with Odyssey batteries on my Centauro too. I had a HUGE Odyssey brick in a California that I installed around 2001. I suspect it is still going in that bike.

One interesting thing on the Yuasa. When I go to idle, it holds the voltage a little longer/better than the Spark or Odyssey ever did. I suspect it has more plate area (I didn't weight it). If so, that is a good thing.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
I'm still using the original battery in my '07 Vintage. I guess I ought to put a meter on it...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
The sizing is listed as different between the EV and Calvin at least on the Batteries Plus site. 

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/motorcycle/moto-guzzi/vintage/1064cc/2010/cyl10008

I personally use the East Penn manufactured batteries in all of my vehicles only because I've had good luck with them.  There are only a few battery manufacturers and many labels so you just have to ask which battery is which at whatever store you are buying it from.  Also confusing is that East Penn makes, under the name Deka, the Power Sports and the Intimidator.  Not sure but I believe the only difference is the warranty.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:41:41 PM »
The sizing is listed as different between the EV and Calvin at least on the Batteries Plus site. 

That site is wrong. The battery size they show for my 2004 EV, would not fit. The battery size they show for the Vintage is what I need.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Gooze

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
Yep, by my measurements the 6.87" length would fit, thanks.  Barely, but it should.

BTW, my OEM did last for 8+ years, not bad.

But when it died, it really did, no pre-warning none whatsoever.

MGNOC L-853

Offline Gooze

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
That truly was barely a fit w/ Duracell Ultra 310CCA.  On the next battery replacement go-around in 8+ years, I'll be on the look for a perfect fit.  The height dimension of this Duracell forced me to get rid off the top holder.

I suspect that not many CalVin riders have replaced their batteries, so experiences are yet to accumulate.  Mine lasted for over 8 years.  Yuasa's would probably work too.

MGNOC L-853

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here