Author Topic: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?  (Read 16378 times)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
Back when I was selling motorcycles, I came up with a line that explains all this.

Buying a motorcycle is like buying an off-the-rack suit. There's a chance it may fit you fairly well, but any suit can be more comfortable and better-fitting with some tailoring to match the wearer.

:wink:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 01:53:19 PM »
 What's a suit ?

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
What's a suit ?

Dusty

Guys who ride Norges and Stelvios sometimes wear them. Guys who ride old Ambos might, and probably used to. All those other Guzzi riders probably wore their last one at their wedding or grad.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
.....If we were talking about food, it might be interesting to see someone say "I love salsa with lots of cilantro", and I'll say "I'll try that", only to find out I am one of the 30% who is genetically wired such that cilantro tastes like Ivory Soap.....

Only 30%??  Yep, there are many places I won't eat at just because I can't even stand the smell of cilantro.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »
WillowStreet:

I strongly agree with you.  Very much prefer a slight forward position, and can't take the "bolt upright" position. 

I want to lean a bit into the wind, so that at 75-85 mph, my torso is supported.   

On the other hand, this will be difference for each individual.  Very much dependent on body type, personal preference, and muscle memory.

And yes---riding bikes with a slight forward position makes my bad back feel better too.  Very few people believe me when I tell them a long car trip makes my back hurt a lot, but a long bike trip not only does not hurt, but actually helps!

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
At 6'5" with tight hamstrings and a very straight lower lumbar back I have to wear a small custom corset for even as little as 10 miles. The corset supports my lower back and unloads the spine by compressing the abdominal area. Always has been that way for me. When packed heavy for camping solo I always try to put the gear where I can use it as a back rest for periods of time when on the slab or straight country roads.
 Lean forward kills me due to tight hamstrings with 36" inseams. It's all about biomechanics. At one point on the Mille I lowered the seat 3" along with lower handle bars. Loved it for the twisities but after a 4 or 5 years I put the seat back up 3-4 inches as I never was in the mountains enough to take advantage of the lower aggressive riding position. It was just too hard on my tight legs and lower back. Sport bikes kill me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:54:30 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »
Maybe I should have started out this thread by asking ... "Why do you prefer a bolt upright riding position? What advantages does it offer you?"

I always like to learn new things and ask "WHY".

A few months ago, I asked a rider about his "Ape Hanger" handlebars. He said he prefers them because they give him more control of his bike and likes the way it handles.?!

So many times in life we revert to a "Default" position without giving our decision much thought, like... "Just got me some money, gonna buy me a ________!" 

I also thought by stating my preference and why I like what I do that I might learn a thing or two from others and possibly someone might decide to try another seating position and have an "Aha" moment, find it more comfortable with less pain and longer hours in the saddle. 

I never thought it would hurt to ask "why do you do what you do?".
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »
 No harm in asking , although the "ape hangar" guy is deluded .

Dusty

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
What's wrong with the taste of Ivory soap?
Bill
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:50:12 PM by Bill N »

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 03:54:36 PM »

Dusty
He's not deluded because it works riding bar to bar. He's never tried then on a twisty road and/or a long trip. Plus he looks so cool in the parking lot chatting with his buds.
Bill

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »
Riding mostly sportier bikes until I got my Quota I never understood the sit up and beg riding style or luggage. After riding the Quota for a while I realized the sit up and beg bikes I am more comfortable on them and can ride them faster through the tight technical stuff. Field of vision is increased and wide bars on adventure type bike give lots of leverage. Narrow clip-ons and looking through the top 1/3 of my helmet are not as fun as they used to be, plus my gut hit the tank :grin:

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
Maybe I should have started out this thread by asking ... "Why do you prefer a bolt upright riding position? What advantages does it offer you?"

well, with the Vert, I could hold the throttle on the right hand, and a beer in the left? ...Now does it all make sense?
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »
  Many young ladies prefer the bolt upright position.  Especially if they have a good figure.
  I not only enhances good posture but it shows off their assets to best advantage.
  I personally ride in the American male slouch position, or the slightly leaned forward position.
 It depends on which bike and what I am doing.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2016, 07:23:10 PM »

I never thought it would hurt to ask "why do you do what you do?".

Well, it HASN'T hurt, so that worked out OK ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »
I ride in the "bolt" position because its the most comfortable way for me. I drive a car the same way. I sit in a chair the same way. Leaning forward with weight on my arms and the bumps, vibration from the road puts my hands/arms to sleep and bothers my lower back. To me, leaning forward is a very unnatural way to spend any amount of time.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
  The position I can't do is the MFF position that most of the rowdy fast sport bikers favor.
 I can't tilt my head up enough on my non neck to see where I am going.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline River Rat

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2016, 11:53:03 PM »
Surgical intervention on both knees makes the sports riding position out of the question for me, I am also old......
I find the Stelvio is near enough to perfect as I can move around and easily stand up to stretch the knees (even at 110kmh+ depending on wind)  :bike-037:
The fun police (aka revenue police) also have a fair bit of say in the comfort issue over here, on a sports bike or sports tourer at less than 140kmh I find there is too much weight on the wrists for me and in any case at that speed one is very close to automatic loss of licence on many roads :angry: 
Not to suggest that my relationship with the law doesn't get tested from time to time  :evil:, however usually only short bursts unless riding in a pack  :boozing:
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX ABS
2007 Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2016, 01:39:17 AM »
I've known since I was 49 my back was totally worn out and just found out it also is not perfectly vertical any more(@ 72).  I can only ride long distance 2 ways....leaning forward some or if upright having lower back support.  Most my bikes I lean forward.  On my maxi-scooters I have a lower back rest.  It's those or don't ride any more.  In a car/truck I'm fine.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2016, 05:37:20 AM »
My first Harley when I was 16 in 1959 had me riding sitting straight up. I switched to Guzzi in '71 and all of them had me sitting straight up until I bought the B-l100. Hey, the lean forward  position was comfortable. I never test rode the bike until I left MPH Cycles at 10:00 AM. Was back the next day at noon for the 1,000 mile check. Bolt upright or lean forward makes no difference to me.

Maybe it helps that I never exercise, take any vitamins or touch health food' :laugh:

Enjoy,
Tex

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2016, 07:11:39 AM »
And yes---riding bikes with a slight forward position makes my bad back feel better too.  Very few people believe me when I tell them a long car trip makes my back hurt a lot, but a long bike trip not only does not hurt, but actually helps!

I believe you.    I'm the same in this regard.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline myway

• Hatchling
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2016, 08:02:48 AM »
"Why do you prefer a bolt upright riding position? What advantages does it offer you?" 
  In my experience I bought the calvin specifically because of the riding position and I have adapted to it well.. and really so I could see better when touring and I'm in the group to far forward an my neck an right shoulder would complain. to far back an my back hurts,

and then there's the air I get more air and to much is tiring an to little is too.

the calvin can do some serious miles but if just miles were the goal I would go with another bike probable the calvin does it a little slower in my experience with it but I see more, you get the idea yet.

and I feel better everyday I'm on my bike an I hope that never stops happening really after a week or two I'm better. I did not get a long ride in last year probable wont this year I don't expect to jump on my bike an feel strong the first day but in the past after 3 days I'm feeling the benefits. get out there an ride an then start tweaking. Dan   

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
For me, "it depends".

I have LOTS of issues with my spine. Scoliosis, osteophytes, arthritis and 7 degenerated discs... 4 in my lower back, 3 in my upper/neck. Bad enough that, when my Doc saw my MRI results his response was "holy shit... your back is terrible, like... really bad." I have a standing warning "If you ever lose control of your bowels, call 911 immediately."

Right now, I am dealing with a bulging disc/ nerve impingement in my neck. "Bolt upright" is as comfy as it gets for me right now. Any forward lean results in pretty serious pain down my left arm, upper left 1/4 of my back, and up the left side of my neck and back of head.

Ususally, yes, a bit of forward lean works for me, *as long as my feet are UNDER me*. I can't ride with forward controls... the weight on my ass results in blown discs and nerve issues in my lower back. "Feet under me" allows me to be "springy", and is about as comfy as it gets.

Riding with the typical "chopper slouch" that everybody seems to fall into after a few hundred mile, absolutely destroys my back.

But, at the end of the day, the single WORST thing for my back is doing miles in an automobile. All that weight, on my ass? Anything over a few hours is absolute hell.

So, in short... don't judge. Gotta trust that people are going to ride in a manner that makes them comfortable, after all... you aren't them, so how can you tell, really?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:21:26 AM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »
I should mention something VERY IMPORTANT being that I posted this original thread...

My wife has been doing morning back stretching exercises and touts the benefits of it. The chiropractor gave me several back exercises last year that I did not do until this past March. These back exercises I do laying on the floor every morning for 6 minutes. WHAT A DIFFERENCE THESE STRETCHING / BACK EXERCISES MAKE!!! Unbelievable! At the end of the day I still feel great! AND, this is important, if I did forget to do the exercises in the morning, I am reminded of that in the evening. Yep, I did forget to do them. So every morning I take 6 minutes and do them and I reap the benefits all day long.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 09:39:29 AM »
He's not deluded because it works riding bar to bar. He's never tried then on a twisty road and/or a long trip. Plus he looks so cool in the parking lot chatting with his buds.
Bill

I rode with 14" apes for years. Put my hands at just a tony bit below shoulder level. Long trips? Comfy as hell. Twisties? Well, with apes, you're not exactly riding a bike designed to bang through the twisties at WOT, now are we?

But miles upon miles upon miles with apes? Not an issue.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
I should mention something VERY IMPORTANT being that I posted this original thread...

My wife has been doing morning back stretching exercises and touts the benefits of it. The chiropractor gave me several back exercises last year that I did not do until this past March. These back exercises I do laying on the floor every morning for 6 minutes. WHAT A DIFFERENCE THESE STRETCHING / BACK EXERCISES MAKE!!! Unbelievable! At the end of the day I still feel great! AND, this is important, if I did forget to do the exercises in the morning, I am reminded of that in the evening. Yep, I did forget to do them. So every morning I take 6 minutes and do them and I reap the benefits all day long.

One I do is lay on floor draw knees to chest and hold them there while rocking forward and back about ten times.
It seems to work for me.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »
One I do is lay on floor draw knees to chest and hold them there while rocking forward and back about ten times.
It seems to work for me.

Dean

I also do that and pull both legs to chest but don't rock. Laying with back on floor I also do a pelvic tilt 20x, Then with knees bent, I move both knees to each side 20x and then use the left leg to pull the right farther and vice versa. Makes a HUGE difference with my lower back as i go through the day. 
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »
:1:

But, pegs under you, and some forward lean makes it effortless to unweight your butt and let the arms and (mostly) legs take the shock of the worst bumps in the road (which we have plenty of here in PA).

See physically fit comment, it's effortless to unweight myself on the pegs of the Sportster, but see suspension, I never really NEED to.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 06:08:47 PM »

Dusty

No shit.

There's preferences and then there's physics and biomechanics.

If the apes are shoulder level or above he's totally deluded.

And i won't bother arguing against preferences, that's cool, but I'll rail against the dieing of the light when it comes to science.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:21:42 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »
Yeah.....but they look cool. :grin:  I like watching them maneuver at parking lot speeds.  I cringe.  :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Yeah.....but they look cool. :grin:  I like watching them maneuver at parking lot speeds.  I cringe.  :tongue:

I like to ride figure 8's around them feet up in gas station parking lots on the LeMans thump thump thump thump........

I like to call it hog trials :bike-037:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:53:34 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here