Author Topic: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?  (Read 16367 times)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I don't get the "Bolt Upright" riding position!?
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »
I believe you.    I'm the same in this regard.
On a bike you can move around. In a car you a locking in. When I had back issues riding a bike was fine. Getting on/off the bike or walking was the problem.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2016, 07:24:35 PM »
I like to ride figure 8's around them feet up in gas station parking lots on the LeMans thump thump thump thump........

I like to call it hog trials :bike-037:

Ya know what I learned in the martial arts 30 years ago and was reminded on the track yesterday... There's always someone better than yourself.

Crap the only exception the rare world champions and even then the spectre remains if the better competitor just wasn't there that day, or off his game.

Meh, it's fun to compete with others, but for 99.999% of us the only significant opponent is ourselves.

But then again grins are fun...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2016, 08:10:28 PM »
Y'ep you are your worse enemy.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

twowings

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »
Different strokes for different folks:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:15:08 PM by twowings »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 08:14:24 PM »
Hey.....what those 2 wheel car thingies called?  :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »
Different strokes for different folks:

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »
 My 75 Eldo has pretty high bars which puts me in the sit up and beg position, when I have the faring on the bike it's really nice ,without the faring I wish they where half as high so i can lean forward into the wind.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline decotriumph

• Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 09:04:23 PM »
There's no conclusion at all that you can derive from a thread like this, except "Everyone is different, and what is torture for one rider is comfort for another".

I don't find that I can even find any information that is useful to transfer to my own comfort from such a discussion.   If we were talking about food, it might be interesting to see someone say "I love salsa with lots of cilantro", and I'll say "I'll try that", only to find out I am one of the 30% who is genetically wired such that cilantro tastes like Ivory Soap.

But for riding comfort?   Seat?  Bars?  Pegs?  Height?   Nobody's experience is of any use to me, much as I might like it to be.   And my experience is of no use to anyone else.

Matter of fact, this post might not be of use to anyone else, but sometimes discussions can just be idle speculation and that's part of the deal ....

Lannis

Lannis took the words right out of my mouth (or right off my fingertips). My Stelvio fits me perfectly and I can ride it all day (now that I've added a Corbin seat). I rode a 1990s Sport once and if that was the only thing Guzzi made, I'd never have a Guzzi. It was a torture device for me.
Alan M
Tullahoma, TN

2004 Moto Guzzi California EV1100 Touring

Past Guzzis:
2020 V85TT Adventure
2017 V9 Bobber
2014 Stelvio NTX
2012 Stelvio
2000 Jackal
1997 1100i Sport
1975 850T

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2016, 01:25:11 AM »
When I see a rider coming the other way w/ape hangers I don't bother to wave because he's oblivious to what serious riding is about. If I did wave he wouldn't have a clue why or even notice.   Now if he waves first, that's different.  But I've never seen that.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:27:43 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Red Dog

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
Both upright & forward position suits me as long as the bike is set up for my comfort.

I had a windscreen on my old Mille & after a hundred miles I would get the burn between the shoulders and tingle in the right hand & wrist.
I wanted to change out the bars but could not decide to go lower or higher.  Then one hot summer day I took the windscreen off, went for a ride and had covered a hundred miles with no discomfort.  Leaning forward with air pushing against my chest and a full face hat is a comfortable ride now.

When I first got the Griso the hands & wrists would tingle in a real short period of time.  Again I could not decide to raise or lower the bars.  On the Griso forum somebody suggested "Grip Puppies" problem solved.  Again I like the forward position.

The Jackal has the OE high bars (almost like mini apes) & a small windscreen so she is an upright rider & quite comfy. 

Mostly I ride with my heels hanging off the passenger pegs on all my Guzzi's.

The Vic has a "barn door" windshield, full fairing including hard lowers & the OE floor boards are very long & wide.  This is an upright rider & with those big floor boards I can shift my feet all over the place.  Best bike ever in the rain!  If you can keep the speed over 45mph the rain goes all around you, the wind tunnel engineers did well with that design.  Last January I rode non-stop from new Orleans to Lake City FL in about 7.5 hours.

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »
 Uh Red Dog , stock Jackal bars are more of a flat track bend , nothing like mini apes  :huh:

Dusty

Red Dog

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
Uh Red Dog , stock Jackal bars are more of a flat track bend , nothing like mini apes  :huh:

Dusty

I bow to your greater knowledge! 
They came with the bike & the owner told me he had bought the bike new & his wife rode it.  The bike is very comfortable with them.

[img=https://s5.postimg.org/jhpld5woz/IMG_0962.jpg]
https://s5.postimg.org/5o18o443r/IMG_0962.jpg
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:48:32 PM by Red Dog »

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
My 75 Eldo has pretty high bars which puts me in the sit up and beg position, when I have the faring on the bike it's really nice ,without the faring I wish they where half as high so i can lean forward into the wind.

So change them!  I do this every spring. Bars are cheap and it takes about 10 minutes tops (even if you have to change the cables).

Nick

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
Girlfriend before I got married, use to call the mini-apes.  "Monkey bars."   :grin:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:52:22 PM by Tom »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
I've always thought "Monkey bars" makes more sense, and would be a much better name, really.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2016, 09:05:56 AM »
I bow to your greater knowledge! 
They came with the bike & the owner told me he had bought the bike new & his wife rode it.  The bike is very comfortable with them.

[img=https://s5.postimg.org/jhpld5woz/IMG_0962.jpg]
https://s5.postimg.org/5o18o443r/IMG_0962.jpg

"Greater knowledge" hmm , seriously doubt my knowledge is greater  :laugh:

Those look more like EV bars than Jackal bars .

Dusty

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
Lannis is spot on -- everyone is different. I don't agree that the discussion is useless. It's always good to know a bit about what other folks experience, and how they solved their problems. Expands my mental toolbox, anyway.

In that spirit I'll add that many decades ago, when my body had not yet suffered a lot of wear and tear, I like clip-ons and rear-sets, and toured all over New England and the Appalachians on a full-Dunstall rig. While working at Microsoft I spent up to 14 hours a day at the computer -- that led to sciatica and pinched nerves in my upper back. Age also earned me degenerative arthritis in my neck. The result is that I can't flex my neck upward for long, with or without the weight of a helmet. I had to replace the drop bar on my road bike with a flat bar, and wound up putting risers on the Guzzi so I could sit up straight. The Funduro riding position is about perfect, except the deeply scooped saddle doesn't let me slide fore and aft as my butt grows weary after a couple of hours. Prefer the footpegs directly under my butt for best control and mobility in the saddle.

Problem now is ischial pain -- bony butt syndrome. Looks like I'm going to have to spend $$$ on some custom seating options.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
Lannis is spot on -- everyone is different. I don't agree that the discussion is useless. It's always good to know a bit about what other folks experience, and how they solved their problems. Expands my mental toolbox, anyway.

I never went as far as "Useless"  :angry: ... matter of fact I noted several potential uses for the idea.  :thumb:  But it's certainly not going to help people in the way that a discussion of, say, different jetting or maps or exhaust might, which is measurable and quantifiable.   

"Mental toolbox", that's good.   Some people have a 15-drawer Snap-On cabinet, some a five-gallon bucket with a Chinese crescent wrench and a hammer ....  :bow:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2016, 11:47:44 AM »
Actually Lannis' post was really somewhat off topic.

The OP stated "I don't understand people who" and the posts before Lannis were mostly attempts at helping the OP better understand.

Lannis' post was more a critique of the thread and responses.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »
Actually Lannis' post was really somewhat off topic.

The OP stated "I don't understand people who" and the posts before Lannis were mostly attempts at helping the OP better understand.

Lannis' post was more a critique of the thread and responses.

So what do I say about a post that is about another post that is a critique of the thread and its responses?   I guess you'd say that you're now "exponentially" off topic ... and THIS post is off topic to the 4th power, and your comment to it will be like this is the house that Jack built ... oh, WAY off ....
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
So what do I say about a post that is about another post that is a critique of the thread and its responses?   I guess you'd say that you're now "exponentially" off topic ... and THIS post is off topic to the 4th power, and your comment to it will be like this is the house that Jack built ... oh, WAY off ....

What you seemed to miss about my post was that it was not a critique of your post per se, but really more a critique of those who agreed with you in that they also missed the point of the thread.

I'm not saying tangents are in any way wrong. But in this case the original one in question did sorta come across as a straw man arguement.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »
I don't understand people riding around sitting bolt upright. I ride with a 65 degree forward lean on my 1200 Sport. This is similar to my past bikes... BMW K75S, K75C, and BMW R90S. I'm not talking about clip-ons.  I find this slight forward lean provides several advantages that I prefer...

Help me here.
I looked at the 1200 Sport, K75S and, unless I read it wrong, don't have a 65 degree ride angle:
http://cycle-ergo.com/
Kirk

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
Nothing better then sitting up and stretching for the sky!   :wink:

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Lcarlson

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »
When I bought my Cali, I had intended to buy the Touring, but decided I liked the clean simplicity of the Custom, along with the superior rear suspension. One reservation I had, though, was the slight (6 degrees according to Cycle-ergo) forward lean, since I generally prefer a straight-up seating position on a cruiser. As it turns out though, that bit of lean shifts some weight from my butt to my thighs, greatly enhancing seat comfort. Combined with the proper density of the seat foam, I find the stock saddle to be all-day comfortable, as long as I get off for a few minutes every once in a while.  If I was sitting straight up, I don't think that would be the case. So, the combination works well for me.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:29:42 PM by Tom »

Offline Zimbo

• New Egg
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2016, 03:38:58 AM »
Very slightly leaning forward works best for me. Achieved this on my V7 by using a flat Airhawk cushion and sitting further back. 2 other improvements with this; softens the harsh rear suspension on the body, reduces some buffeting from the touring screen (which I'm wondering if you're better off without!)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
Since I posted this topic, I've learned a lot and I have a much better understanding of why some riders prefer the upright seating position.

BTW: I measured my 65 degree forward leaning position on both the K75S and 1200Sport by taking pictures of me seated on both. I used a protractor to measure the angle in the picture. You can't get more accurate than that.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
  One man's 65 degrees is another's 25..... :wink: :thumb:

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »
I've nursed a bad back for a full 25 years now, starting at the age of 42. I fully understand the bolt upright seating.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2016, 03:50:20 AM »
How many here have a sprung tractor style seat as on the Eldo and Ambo?
I'm getting close to finishing my Ambo and would really like to put a spring kit on the seat as I'm imagining it would be really cumfy. It's definitely going to ease spinal compression along with well set up suspension.
I get the impression that the Police versions had sprung seats which would indicate that it makes long hours in the saddle more bearable.

Also does anyone know where to get that spring kit? I've seen it somewhere but now I want one it doesn't show on MG Cycles or Harpers.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here