Author Topic: OBD II reader recommendations  (Read 4206 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
OBD II reader recommendations
« on: August 02, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »
My Fiat 500 Check engine light came on... the manual says it's ok to drive.  (When the light flashes it is telling you to stop immediately - mine isn't flashing).  Anyway, a car with 70k miles I'm inclined to check myself if possible.  Two questions:

1) what is a reputable reader around 50 bucks.  (The dealer wants 120 dollars to check it).  Oh, and auto parts stores in California won't check codes like in other states- it's against the law.

2) will the reader work on my 2013 V7 stone?  (No problems but just asking)

Thanks in advance.  I've never done this before but it seems like the reader is a useful tool that will save money in the long run.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:19:03 PM by vstevens »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: OBD II reader recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
Oh, and auto parts stores in California won't check codes like in other states- it's against the law.

I'll add that to my growing list of reasons to not live there.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »
I'll add that to my growing list of reasons to not live there.
LOL
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

elvisboy77

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
My Fiat 500 Check engine light came on... the manual says it's ok to drive.  (When the light flashes it is telling you to stop immediately - mine isn't flashing).  Anyway, a car with 70k miles I'm inclined to check myself if possible.  Two questions:

1) what is a reputable reader around 50 bucks.  (The dealer wants 120 dollars to check it).  Oh, and auto parts stores in California won't check codes like in other states- it's against the law.

2) will the reader work on my 2013 V7 stone?  (No problems but just asking)

Thanks in advance.  I've never done this before but it seems like the reader is a useful tool that will save money in the long run.

I got one on Amazon for about $17 (Panlong WIFI OBDII) that has its own WIFI and free smart phone app.  Really easy to use, connects via wifi. Of course you need a computer or smart phone....  Keep in mind too, that many "pre alert" conditions (odd operating conditions) can cause a CE light but after 3-5 starts from "cold" i.e. sitting for a while the light will clear itself if the condition doesn't exist.

Let us know what you get for a code!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:13:16 PM by elvisboy77 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 10:27:57 PM »

I got one on Amazon for about $17 (Panlong WIFI OBDII) that has its own WIFI and free smart phone app.  Really easy to use, connects via wifi. Of course you need a computer or smart phone....  Keep in mind too, that many "pre alert" conditions (odd operating conditions) can cause a CE light but after 3-5 starts from "cold" i.e. sitting for a while the light will clear itself if the condition doesn't exist.

Let us know what you get for a code!

That's what I'm hoping!  I was kinda hot-rodding it a bit, popped the clutch, and stalled it.  It started right back up and the CE light came on very soon after. 

Thanks for the recommendation!

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 01:41:38 AM »
See what the current Harbor Freight coupon set has - I got one there for right around $50 that is very capable and actually the same (other than labels) as ones sold in the auto parts stores for around $125-150.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:28:21 AM »
I got this OBD II wi-fi dongle for my Tacoma:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPW6BAE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00DYOVXZ0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=GGPDGBTTE6TYXAH0J9M2
I use it with the Dash Command app and get codes plus real time performance and fuel economy information. I haven't tried it with my bike, but it's the nazz with the truck...and really affordable.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »
I got the Bluetooth for Android adapter from Amazon ($22):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For software I use Torque Pro ($5). 

The above is cheaper than a handheld tool and more capable.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
That's what I use too.  Got it for the MiniCooper to see turbo boost pressure but works great on the truck and other cars too.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:37 AM »
That's what I'm hoping!  I was kinda hot-rodding it a bit, popped the clutch, and stalled it.  It started right back up and the CE light came on very soon after. 

Thanks for the recommendation!

Yep.  The light turned off within 24hrs.  Perhaps it will return, perhaps not.  At any rate, a WIFI OBDII reader for less than 20 dollars?  It's a must! 

elvisboy77

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:31 AM »
You need to hot rod it all the time and get that thing used to the abuse! :cool:

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »
Yep.  The light turned off within 24hrs.  Perhaps it will return, perhaps not.  At any rate, a WIFI OBDII reader for less than 20 dollars?  It's a must!

My guess is that you mean Bluetooth, not WiFi.
I have a $15 BT reader for my phone. It is compatible enough for my needs.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 01:26:32 PM »

The one linked by Sheepdog can be had in either WiFi or Bluetooth.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »
I have a wifi dongle because many (all?) of the bluetooth models are not compatible with the iPhone bluetooth.  No idea why that is. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:29:00 PM by jrt »
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 01:50:55 PM »
I have a wifi dongle because many (all?) of the bluetooth models are not compatible with the iPhone bluetooth.  No idea why that is.

Add that to my growing reasons not to own a fruit product. :boozing:

elvisboy77

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
The wifi version works great with my iPhone.  Cool stuff!

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
The wifi version works great with my iPhone.  Cool stuff!

Bought the Veepeak OBDII WIFI reader and Dash commander app as per Sheepdogs recommendation.  Can't wait to test it out... Thanks, everyone!

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 11:21:19 AM »
There are many different Bluetooth protocols (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_protocols)  these are the ones that Apple supports: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204387

While researching OBD dongles it seems there are one or two Bluetooth protocols that Apple does not support; something to be aware of.

Apparently Apple does not support file transfer via Bluetooth as a matter of device policy (keeping things simple).

It also seems that app developers are more keen to write for Android than IOS so I ended up buying a refurbed Samsung Galaxy S5 to use as a mini/micro tablelet to run Android apps and it has been a lot of fun. I can control my Icom ID-5100 ham radio with it, the TV, the bluetooth dongle in the trunk and I'm setting up a bluetooth OBD dongle on the Griso (to observe engine temps mostly).

I still use the iPhone 6+ as a phone and for everything else. Having a foot in both eco-systems has its' advantages.

The truck OBD was expensive at $60, the OBD Link MX, comes with an Android app and a Windows app. I forget the model I got for the Griso, it was around $20 on Amazon.

Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Seamaster

• New Egg
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stone Black

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/Qiker-Bluetooth-OBDII-Android-Devices/dp/B01A6VMBVS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1470337989&sr=8-9&keywords=odb2+bluetooth

You need an android phone or phablet to use the 'Torque' app. The app talks to the reader and downloads the codes. Works great. Sometimes I have bluetooth connection issues, but I just 'forget' the reader and re-pair. It's solid for $20 or less.

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
I got the Bluetooth for Android adapter from Amazon ($22):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For software I use Torque Pro ($5). 
The above is cheaper than a handheld tool and more capable.

Ditto on this BAFX adapter!  I let my old one get away when I sold my previous car.  Reordered this one & it arrived today.  I've also got a Fiat 500, and it connects to the ECU with no issues.  The Fiat OBDII port is horizontal and above the hood release, so Bluetooth devices like this will stick out from the dash somewhat AND the active lights will be pointing towards the floorboard.  A 2.5 ft OBD extension with a right angle plug solves this niggle & lets you stash the OBD dongle anywhere you want.  It's android only. . .there are more expensive alternatives for Apple iOS, but the the Torque pro just works like a champ.

If your 500 has Blue&Me hands-free phone, you'll find that you can not use both the phone & Torque apps at the same time.  Your phone can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time.  If you switch your phone to communicate with the OBD device, then you'll have to reload your phone contacts when you pair your phone back to the car.  You can use an old Android cell phone or even get a cheapo tablet if you want a larger screen.  I picked up a nice Toshiba tablet for around $70 at Best Buy.  It's got Bluetooth capability and a great screen.   

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here