Author Topic: Carburetor alloy color on 40 pumpers.  (Read 1253 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Carburetor alloy color on 40 pumpers.
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »
Hello folks , the PHF 40 carbs on my 85 LeMans are a dark ,greenish looking alloy(magnesium?) I have seen some others that are a more "normal" looking aluminum color, I am wondering were some of these carbs made of a different alloy, or are mine just seriously tarnished? Is there a way to brighten them up, or polish parts such as the float bowls, and the crank tops? They look kinda dingy in that drab greenish color.
Thanks Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Carburetor alloy color on 40 pumpers.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
Soda blasting should work.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:08:26 PM »
I have one of those small handheld sand blasters from harbor freight, the ones with the little plastic media tank on top. Can I use that with regular old household baking soda?
Rick.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »
It's not dirt or tarnish, I think that's some sort of a surface treatment (anodizing?) done at the factory, maybe to keep corrosion at bay. I wouldn't remove it. 
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »
Hi Rick,

Yes ordinary baking soda will work. Harbour Freight also sells larger volumes of baking soda for pretty cheap. All you need to do is dump the soda in a plastic pail and get one of those Harbour Freight siphon spray guns (under $25 ), its just a rubber hose attached to a pistol grip sprayer that takes an compressed air fitting. Fit an air compressor to the siphon sprayer, jamb the rubber hose from the siphon sprayer into the pail of soda and blast away. Makes a heck of a mess, wear a face mask that protects your eyes. Sweep up the used soda and throw it away.

To polish the alloy you can use a buffer wheel and a white or red polishing compound. Harbour Freight sells the big wheels that fit on a bench grinder or the small wheels with a stem to fit in a power drill and they sell the polishing compounds.

I cleaned up these Delorto carbs on my Laverda a couple weeks ago, 1st I acid washed them, then soda and then a light polishing and finally an ultrasonic cleaning.

Before

After

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »
The dark green was original, as Charlie says. I think you would regret removing it.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
Thank you for the responses, gentlemen. If the dark green is a protective coating applied at the factory, then I will leave them alone. I thought it was some form of corrosion or tarnish. I am glad I check here first before going  OCD crazy on the carbs, and probably soon regretting it!
Rick.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
Thank you for the responses, gentlemen. If the dark green is a protective coating applied at the factory, then I will leave them alone. I thought it was some form of corrosion or tarnish. I am glad I check here first before going  OCD crazy on the carbs, and probably soon regretting it!
Rick.
You could buy Magnesium bodied Dellortos back in the day that were a light olive green, I actually had some. If they are Mag Dellorts then I would advise you to leave them as they are.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:29:00 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here