Author Topic: Are women under represented here ?  (Read 16336 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Are women under represented here ?
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
There's no particular reason I ask other than curiosity, but what % of our members are women ? It's possible of course that because we have forum names, that there's more than I think. Would the % of female forum members be less than that of female (Guzzi) riders in general ? If so, why would that possibly be, and I'm not heading anywhere in particular with the question. Do I remember correctly that Hardaspie is a woman rider ? I can only think of one, but then I haven't been here long.

Offline SundayRider

• New Egg
Re: Are women under represented here ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:10:58 PM »
There's no particular reason I ask other than curiosity, but what % of our members are women ? It's possible of course that because we have forum names, that there's more than I think. Would the % of female forum members be less than that of female (Guzzi) riders in general ? If so, why would that possibly be, and I'm not heading anywhere in particular with the question. Do I remember correctly that Hardaspie is a woman rider ? I can only think of one, but then I haven't been here long.

Interesting question.  (I'm a guy BTW, so not one of the riders you're wondering is here or not).

Kind of begs the question - under-represented compared to what?  The population in general?  Riders in general?  You mentioned among Guzzi riders.  Guzzi riders in English-speaking countries?  All over the world?  In Italy? 

I think under-represented compared to the population is a given.  But for the other comparisons, there don't seem to be too many measures out there.  Here are a few answers, though not many:
http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/About_Women_Riders_Now.aspx
which points to Motorcycle Industry Council statistics that show 14% of motorcycle owners in the US are women, and that 25% of riders in the US are women.  No brands though.

Another article that points to the same MIC stats:
http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/number-of-women-riders-hits-all-time-high

This shows something like 5% of Indian riders are women:
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-19697067

But all of this of course begs the question of how many ride Guzzis

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:11:40 PM »
 Gearheadgrrl , Sincolita , Ambogal , Dulcenea , Luap's Girl , and some more that are escaping me at the moment . You are correct , the ladies are underrepresented , although most are just too busy to post much .

Dusty

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 02:20:05 PM »
Under represented implies that there are biker women who do not belong to the group that some how should be on this board.  How many women Guzzi owners are there or for that matter what is the % of women who are bikers of all brands? My experience is I do not see many women out there riding anything bigger than a large scooter. So my answer would be they are not under represented here because there is a very small % of women who ride. And an even smaller % who rider Guzzis. Before the latest V7 models how bikes did Guzzi produce that the average 5'6' women could comfortably sit on much less handle? Esp. with all the scores of Japanese bikes available for those with smaller frames.
Red 90 Mille GT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 02:20:05 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
My guess would be that women are represented in proportion with women Guzzi owners.  The Ninja 250 board seems to have a higher percentage of women members than this board, which makes sense, since as Harvey was getting at, Ninja 250s are probably more popular among women than Guzzis, due to their small size and light weight.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:29:48 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:32:52 PM »
Absolutely underrepresented.  To be fully represented, every female Guzzi rider would have to be on the board.  I know two who are not.  Not every male Guzzi rider is here, either, so they're underrepresented as well.

Signing up here is an act of self-selection.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
It's a pity that there are not more women here. I sorta understand, as this can seem like a boy's club at first glance. I've always been fascinated with other folk's opinions...a woman's perspective is always a welcome addition to this forum.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »
Absolutely underrepresented.  To be fully represented, every female Guzzi rider would have to be on the board.  I know two who are not.  Not every male Guzzi rider is here, either, so they're underrepresented as well.

Would tend to agree... :undecided: :rolleyes: :shocked: - - underrepresented, in general...but that's because we are comprised mostly of................. ........"Guzzi Geezers!!" (LOL) :evil: :grin: :wink: :cool:

...and here is the photographic PROOF!!  :grin: :laugh: :wink: :evil: :azn: :cool: :boozing:

"We are old...we are cranky...some of us are notoriously "CHEAP"...but the one thing we all have in common....we RIDE Moto Guzzi's!!" (LOL)

Have a great (...and safe) weekend everyone!!  :cool: :1: :thumb:

image upload for forums
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:53:14 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »
 We do have a gender and generation gap situation on WG . Now , some of this is simply because we are largely a bunch of old GUYS with our own long held opinions . However , some of it can come from misunderstandings . Most of us probably don't really have a problem with hipsters , or young folks in general , but things get said in jest , or as a means to poke fun at ourselves , and get misinterpreted by a young member . We had an incident recently where a member completely misunderstood a statement that was intended as a gentle poke at us curmudgeons , and the guy left in a huff , despite our best efforts to explain what happened . Probably the same with some of our female WGer's . Not criticizing here , we are actually a decent bunch , but at times , well , we do need to be cognizant of the fact that as a subculture inside of a subculture , alienating folks is counterproductive.

I'll shut up now , carry on .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »

Because of screen names, and the fact that we don't keep track, we don't really know.

There are more women here than most of you realize.  They just keep a lower profile than most of the d00ds.

In fact, there are many members, men and women, who are here and browsing but keep a low profile.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »
Because of screen names, and the fact that we don't keep track, we don't really know.

There are more women here than most of you realize.  They just keep a lower profile than most of the d00ds.

In fact, there are many members, men and women, who are here and browsing but keep a low profile.

If you think about what Rocker is saying here , my screen name , and what I sign with are not any indication of gender . Of course several of you guys actually know me , and fortunately (or unfortunately for me) no woman ever has been as , er , unattractive as this poor Okie  :shocked: :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »
Bottom-line............................ (and one can analyze and slice any way you choose.....) but the fact and reality remains........we are in the kingdom of......... "Guzzi Geezers!!" (LOL)  :boozing: :cool: :rolleyes: :grin: :laugh: :wink:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:30:14 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
 JJ, no truer statement has ever been made  :bow: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »
but it works both ways since Dusty is the only male in his sewing circle.  :rolleyes:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
 I am now that you left John , but ya gotta admit , it has its perks  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
The women.  Maybe under-represented, but not under-appreciated!  I've been attending the Guzzi breakfast in NE Ohio at Mike's Place in Kent for over 6 years.  And truly appreciate the work the women put into making this chapter of Guzzi work.  Actually there's little or no gender difference.  Just a great group of Guzzi riders that don't much give a damn whether a member is male or female. 
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »
Ok, what can/(should?), be done about it ?

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
One of the highest mileage Guzzi riders is a woman with the screen name of Beaver out of Lindale< TX. She is too busy to post much with work, grandkids and doing her best to keep me in line.

Tex

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 05:50:02 PM »
Ok, what can/(should?), be done about it ?

A question probably best answered by our female members .

Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »
My wife threatens to join but I tell her all the good stuff anyway.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »
I don't see any problem here.  How many women do you see at a Guzzi Rally?  And those you see are mostly married to the guys who ride Guzzis.   Some are just passengers(like my wife most the time). Nothing against women but there just aren't that many that ride their own bike.

Now at scooter events there are more women who ride just like the men.   So what sex you are doesn't matter in the least.   All that matters is if you enjoy doing the same thing.  :boozing:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:08:46 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »

Well then, if there are something like 10 female forum members and I can think of one (Hardaspie) who has posted recently, (interestingly it was about entry level motorcycling and the boys were happy to help), that would be 10% of forum members among women who have posted. Would the proportion of male members who post be higher than 10% ? IF that was true then you might conclude that the girls want to stand back and watch and feel that their input would not be welcome (unlikely!), are intimidated by some of the goings on (possibly), or feel out of their depth with respect to our experience and general fantasticness. Jeez you'd hope not ! Just thinking that some (not all) of us would enjoy our Guzzi life more if our wives/girlfriends were more invested in what we do, and that situation can be brought about more readily if you feel that your opinion is worth hearing and you don't have to defend everything you say when it degenerates into a slanging match. Now of course if the women began an on forum argument, then.... (no, just pretend I didn't say that). Just in the spirit of greater participation, (not precipitation!).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:34:36 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 06:30:25 PM »
I don't see any problem here.
No nor do I Wayne, I don't see it as a problem I just wondered why, and I suggest that they may have more to bring to the table than serving coffee and making sandwiches in the cold at rallies. As you say Dusty, is it possible the girls could enlighten us, or rely on their men to speak for them ?

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
 Huzo , the membership roles have been pruned down to about 5,000 , so let's say 4800 men . You can do some basic math and see that maybe 5% are active despite efforts to increase participation . Not sure it is due to "slang" , some folks are just shy . It is always a bit surprising to meet folks at a rally that know me from the forum , and yet rarely if ever post .

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
As has been noted, there are any number of factors - what portion of riders altogether are women, what kind of bikes attract what kinds of people, the fact that participation in a forum is a matter of self-selection and identification with others, and many more reasons.

There are some other important groups, demographic and otherwise, that are under-represented on this board, and perhaps among Guzzi owners and even motorcycle riders in general.

For example, there are far too few
  • Left-handed people
  • Cat owners
  • Subaru owners (and Lancia owners, and SAAB owners, and...)
  • Formula 1 enthusiasts
  • World Rally Championship enthusiasts
  • People who choose not to own a gun (but aren't worried if others do)
  • Old-fashioned left-wingers (i.e., prairie populists, New Dealers and so on)
  • People who studied history and political science in university - and still do
  • Science fiction fans, especially those who like both classic SF and new stuff like cyberpunk
  • Anime fans - for that matter fans of any style of animation
  • People who admire classic machinery - but would rather live with modern convenience (I hate carbs!)

I know I've missed some...  :grin:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 07:02:34 PM »
 Cousin IT , you forgot ambidextrous Taoists that bat right and throw left  :huh:

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 07:09:46 PM »
Gearheadgrrl , Sincolita , Ambogal , Dulcenea , Luap's Girl , and some more that are escaping me at the moment . You are correct , the ladies are underrepresented , although most are just too busy to post much .

Dusty

Don't forget beaver
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 07:41:24 PM »
No nor do I Wayne, I don't see it as a problem I just wondered why, and I suggest that they may have more to bring to the table than serving coffee and making sandwiches in the cold at rallies. As you say Dusty, is it possible the girls could enlighten us, or rely on their men to speak for them ?

It's like the concern about "We all seem to be Old Guys.   What are we going to do to bring more young people into the "Guzzi Fold" (or "Classic Bike Fold", or any other "fold")?   The hobby is going to die out if we don't do something!".

The answer to that question is, I believe, "We don't need to do anything."   I mean, what did anyone do to bring ME into the motorcycling fraternity (hey look, a sexist term!)?   Nobody had some sort of "young people recruitment program" to make sure I got interested in motorcycling, or signed up on WG or anywhere else.   They built it, I looked, saw, and liked it, and signed up.  Simple as that.  It'll keep happening, and if it doesn't, so what?

Same for women, I suspect.   There's no "No Girls Allowed" sign on the treehouse door.   The women that participate here participate as equals, (although I do note that when a new female introduces herself, there's a lot of guys tripping over each other to hold the door for her, but you'll never get away from that).   

At our last couple rallies, there were 4 or 5 women riding their own bikes in, and as many more riding pillion, and as far as I can tell, there's no "bar" to membership ...

I'm trying to wean myself away from the idea that if we don't have a due proportion of female or Irish or gay or black or Muslim or atheist or transvestite members in any given organization, then we're an "-ist" or a "-phobe" of some sort and it has to be remedied through a 'diversity' program of some kind ....

I agree with you though, that if any woman participating here sees some sort of "barrier" to participation that I (by definition, being a male) can't see, I'd like to hear what that is.   I suspect, though, they haven't got time to waste on it!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
As has been noted, there are any number of factors - what portion of riders altogether are women, what kind of bikes attract what kinds of people, the fact that participation in a forum is a matter of self-selection and identification with others, and many more reasons.

There are some other important groups, demographic and otherwise, that are under-represented on this board, and perhaps among Guzzi owners and even motorcycle riders in general.

For example, there are far too few
  • Left-handed people
  • Cat owners
  • Subaru owners (and Lancia owners, and SAAB owners, and...)
  • Formula 1 enthusiasts
  • World Rally Championship enthusiasts
  • People who choose not to own a gun (but aren't worried if others do)
  • Old-fashioned left-wingers (i.e., prairie populists, New Dealers and so on)
  • People who studied history and political science in university - and still do
  • Science fiction fans, especially those who like both classic SF and new stuff like cyberpunk
  • Anime fans - for that matter fans of any style of animation
  • People who admire classic machinery - but would rather live with modern convenience (I hate carbs!)

I know I've missed some...  :grin:
Do you know how many in each category there are IT ? How would you know if they were there ?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:02 PM »
I am now that you left John , but ya gotta admit , it has its perks  :laugh:

Dusty

It's tough work.  I still have needle pricks all over my fingers.

In the real world,
I can barely sew a button.  I really respect those folks that have sewing skills. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here