Author Topic: Shake Rattle and Roll N.Z. earthquakes  (Read 10960 times)

Offline voncrump

• Gosling
Shake Rattle and Roll N.Z. earthquakes
« on: November 13, 2016, 05:43:42 AM »
We are having a series of Earthquakes down here in New Zealand. 6.6 magnitude and lots over 5.0. The most severe shaking I have ever felt. No sleep tonight.
Cheers, voncrump
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 01:12:32 PM by oldbike54 »
1996 1100 sport
2016 V711
1988  Lario ( long gone )
1982 V50111 (long gone)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Earthquakes Again
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 05:43:48 AM »
Around midnight and for the last 1/2 hr the central NZ is being hit with swarms of earthquakes from 6.6 down, with many over 5.

First one was a 6.6 about 60kms north of us, went on for over a minute. Having a cup of tea to let the nerves settle. Bugger. No major damages reported at this stage, but it is night time.

21 in the last hour, ranging north to Taupo and as far south almost to Christchurch.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:03:34 AM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Shake Rattle and Roll
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:05:55 AM »
Said a prayer for guys:)

Offline stevet

• Gaggle Hero
  • What would Mr. Happy Puppet do?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:58:41 AM »
I just heard this on our early Sunday morning news, might have some tsunami issues, too.

Best wishes to all affected.

Steve.
Steve T.
Twin Cities, MN
Sophia, '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone
Feejer, '10 Yamaha FJR
"Il Viaggiatore", The Traveler. A.K.A. Via. 2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are."
-George Eastman.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:58:41 AM »

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »
Just saw this - hope your all OK.

Maurie.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Earthquakes Again
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 07:34:55 AM »
They have got the tsunami sirens going. Son and grandson live close to the coast. in the car and heading inland.
03 Breva

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
I hope you, your family, and your friends all stay safe!
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:45:37 AM »
All good at this stage thanks Jim. Not much sleep happening at this stage! :rolleyes:
03 Breva

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:06:26 AM »
Our thoughts are with you all!!!
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
 Earthquakes are not something most believed we would ever have in common Muzz  :shocked: Keep safe brother .

Dusty

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »
BBC reporting 7.8 just 60 miles north of Christchurch...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37967178
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:11:53 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
Hope you and yours are all safe Muzz.

More info here along with the claim that a similar 1929 quake injured no one.  Hope it is the same today!
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000778i#executive
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
Hope everything's OK down there, my daughter's in Hamilton.
Edit: just talked to her, said ''is everything OK after the earthquake?"
She replied, "what earthquake?"  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:07:46 PM by Stevex »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 01:01:10 PM »
Just surfacing bleary eyed.

Two deaths, one in a collapsed house in Kaikoura, another earthquake related here in Christchurch. First quake has been upgraded to 7.5. The east coast 100 to 200 miles north of Christchurch was hit the hardest. The road around Kaikoura travels on the coast is cut in to the cliffs at times, and this has cracked in places and is blocked by a few slips. They had 2 metre tsunami waves there, but as far as they go the warnings have been downgraded now on the more outer fringes of the coastal areas to just "stay away from the beaches". Some of the aftershocks which hit the area were over 6.

No water or sewerage in Kaikoura. The township sounds as though it is isolated with road damage and slips at both ends. Showing aerial shots of collapsed houses now.

It is in the middle of the University and NCEA school exams, and all the schools between Christchurch and Wellington have been closed for inspections which is going to affect those. Wellington has some damage by the sounds of it. All buses and trains, along with the Cook Strait ferries are not running. Some people evacuated from hotels in Wellington evidently spent the night in our Parliament buildings.

Fortunately, Christchurch dodged a bullet this time.

03 Breva

Offline gsp0702

• New Egg
Re: Shake Rattle and Roll N.Z. earthquakes
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 01:31:19 PM »
It was a biggy that's for sure, had everyone up for a couple of hours managed to get some sleep but the after shocks are popping of at irregular intervals and some pretty big ones, work from home today keeping kids, dog and cats as calm as possible. But looks pretty bad round Kaikoura.

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »
Must have been a hell of a night, hope you all keep safe.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 04:45:35 PM »
Hope the news does not get much worse. I can see why some anxiety is widespread.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 04:53:06 PM »
I'll take an earthquake over a tornado, hurricane any time.  :grin:  Are your buildings designed to withstand earthquakes like in California?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:54:53 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
After the Christchurch one(s) the design requirements went up hugely. A lot of the early stuff was un-reinforced masonry and they went down in the Christchurch ones. New codes are designed to cope with a 9 I believe.

Just saw an aerial shot of a house just out of Kaikoura that has moved off it's foundations by 10 metres!!!! :shocked: That is some ground movement.
03 Breva

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 06:56:59 PM »
I'll take an earthquake over a tornado, hurricane any time.  :grin:  Are your buildings designed to withstand earthquakes like in California?

There is no-where to hide from an Earthquake.

Building codes have varied over the years so to a degree it depends how old they are and the quality of the original build. 
Older less well built buildings have for the most part gone already (through accident or decay) and the new (post Christchurch) building codes are almost too tough.

I remember when I lived in Christchurch looking in horror at an old warehouse (I think)  built in brick, but not by any architect. More likely built by an accountant.  It was about three stories high and it was obvious that its walls were unsupported. They bulged! The only thing stopping the whole thing falling down were the big bolts that had been fitted holding the walls to each other!  Of course Christchurch was not then considered an earthquake area.  I would be extremely surprised if it is standing now.

Problems arise when you find buildings that have not been built to code. A problem that has increased since more and more people have buildings designed by people other than architects.  Time was the architect had total control and responsibility for a building.

It was the collapse of a modern (non architect designed) building in Christchurch that caused the vast majority of casualties there.

It should be remembered though that an Earthquake proof building is a contradiction in terms.  It comes down to reasonable risk.

Odd that the first I've heard of these shakes was right here on this site!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:11:54 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 07:11:57 PM »
Count yourself lucky John.

At the moment we have our street full of trucks and diggers redoing all the drainage as it ran uphill after the big quakes. Those same quakes also did something to the ground so now it shakes every time a truck or a bus goes past. Just at this moment we have a digger parked across our drive, so now every time it moves or a truck arrives it feels just like a quake. Lucy is really stressing out; it is like non stop quakes and you don't know whether it is a real one or a faux one.
03 Breva

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »
That does not sound at all good Muzz.
(perhaps you should consider a move to Golden Bay?  :boozing:

Invercargill as you know, is right in what is considered an earthquake zone.

This un reinforced brick building was (well) built in 1889. It has withstood many an earthquake since at least two of which I know to have been 7.8.
It has yet to develop a crack.
New Zealand

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 08:23:56 PM »
I have experienced earthquakes in soCal and being an ex-sailor, it takes quite a shaker to get my attention.  Any building made out of bricks is a gonner, usually.  My brother lives in Atascadero, Ca., earthquake country.  A few years ago he was driving his PU truck 65 mph and suddenly thought he had a flat tire. Pulled over and checked all his tires. They appeared OK.   It was an earthquake and some brick chimneys, an old brick building still standing came apart.  Then you have the aftershocks.

Off & on parts of Alaska get earthquakes too.   Most houses, buildings are designed to withstand earthquakes to a point in California.

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 01:11:39 AM »
That first one roilled on for a minute.... Not at all cool.
The main road State highway one is pretty rooted. It'll be months, not weeks, before it reopens. And I wonder in some places, IF it will reopen. Especially looking at some of the stuff hanging over the roads.

Some pics:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NBROnline/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1253421208012273

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NewZealandDefenceForce/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1149960331707778

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 01:47:58 AM »
Not looking good. Just had the nephew around. They were going to stay late in the Sounds and drive back late at night. We have just celebrated the fact that he changed his mind and came back late afternoon. :thumb:

Which area do you reside in Rev?
03 Breva

Offline steamdriven NZ

• Gosling
  • simplify and add lightness
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 02:18:39 AM »
All good here.  A friend of mine lives to the north in Seddon which is copping a real pasting, and says a lot of bits of his house are not together anymore. Bummer.
Our big dog ran out and barked at it to tell it to bugger off while her 5 month old pup ran along beside her trying to figure out what mum as going on about. The cats had a feed and went back to sleep!
Biggest problem was deciphering what the tsunami warnings REALLY meant, they were all over the show so we stayed put.
Not much sleep but most of my work colleagues fronted for work and life seemed to be pretty much normal, which was very surreal. 

In the words of the band Madness......"Welcome to the House of Fun, here we go again, welcome to the House of Fun..."
When you spend more time spannering than using, you have reached toy saturation.....

'84 750 Monza (The Monzada)

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 06:40:18 AM »
A few pics.

There is something both whimsical and analogous  about these cows. They are, like the nearby people of Kaikoura and about 1800 tourists with them, stranded without food water or sanitary arrangements.

I believe a Navy supply ship is on it's way and will serve Kaikoura from Lyttleton (The port of Christchurch) It's going to take a day or two to get there though.

A road to nowhere and an example of the much 'maligned' NZ rail system.

That road is our main route North and South. It, and more particularly the rail line along side it, is the main way goods get moved about in that part of the country. Alternative road routes exist, but are much longer and at this moment blocked. There is a road /rail ferry running from Wellington to Dunedin but it's not a very big one. I imagine though it will be flat out busy for a while. 

Here is one of a number of blockages of Route 1. (The main route North and South)

It will all be cleared and repaired of course, and without doubt it will be improved in the process. From a purely personal point of view this is a great shame. That is one of my absolute favourite rides, especially coming South just after dawn with the sun just rising out of the sea on your left.  I have never bothered to capture that on film and now, it will never be the same.

New Zealand

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
Pictures are startling!!!

It is said thjat CA is due for a bad one, just a matter of time. I guess in that sense it goes with the territory(CA and NZ).

I went thru a bad one in T'iapei while on a lay over. On the 15th floor of a hotel and it was scary. One building down the block (10 story) fell over onto the building across the street. I later read in the news paper is was due in part to very shoddy construction of the foundation.

Hope the worst is over!!

As do I Kirby, and it probably is for a while.

My worry is my (personal and unsupported by any evidence that I know of) theory  that one earthquake sort of leads to another.  Changes in stresses.   It seems to me that the Pacific plate is letting go in places. This must (again IMHO) lead to increases in stresses in other, especially nearby, parts of it.

Invercargill (Southland) is in an earthquake zone. We get them all the time, mostly too small to be felt.  Deep Cove, which is in Fiordland (and part of Southland) gets an average of 260 a day. Again, mostly too small to be felt.

My feeling is that given that we are sitting on the edge of the Pacific Plate this is a relatively safe scenario. The plates are juddering and relieving their stresses continuously and this would seem to me to reduce the chances of a large damaging quake.

Then we had the Christchurch quakes which revealed new or previously unknown faults.  Now a couple of years later we have this set centered some 60 miles further North.  Neither of these involved the main fault which runs the length of the country and is the reason the land is here in the first place.

This most recent quake caused some minor damage in Wellington, our capital city.  A major fault runs right through there, and the main fault is nearby. My concern is that in the not distant future we might be looking at a really big one centered in or near Wellington. That could be really horrific.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:08:51 PM by johnr »
New Zealand

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »
Given the damage that's happened in Wellington in this and earlier quakes, it's clear to me Wellington is doomed. It's just a matter if when, not if, its obliterated. But with quakes "when" can be hundreds of years.
I think the last big one to hit there was 1855?
That's where most of the flat land around there came from

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
 I've said this before , all of the truly beautiful places on the Earth are the product of seismic violence. Here is hoping the planet gets herself adjusted before anymore damage is done to the lovely Islands of New Zealand . As for California , my understanding is that the entire state is being tilted upwards , with the West side doing the rising .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here