Author Topic: What's the "Scam Price Point", you think?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
What's the "Scam Price Point", you think?
« on: November 16, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »
Since very many of us look over CL and eBay and other on-line sources, as well as the old-fashioned classified ads, we get to see scams every day; bikes for sale that don't belong to the seller, ads copied from other sites, etc.

We all know the "Danger Signs" that guarantee a scam - for example, the buyer wants to send the seller more than the asking price, and the seller "refunds" the overage to the buyer's "agent" when they pick it up.   Or the seller is constantly "out of the country" and wants to sell it remotely.

But it's almost getting to be where you can tell if it's a scam or not by the price.   The scammers know better than to offer a popular bike (like a V7 Sport) for 1/4 of what its worth ... but what's the normal limit?

The last one we looked at was the late model (no year given) California Special, "like new" he said, for $1500.  Even at a distress sale, that's probably a $3000 bike, so maybe the scammers feel like they can suck people in by offering a bike at 50% of what the market price might be?    I guess people will think they are getting a real bargain but it's not "too good to be true" at that level, like offering it for $850.

We'll see if that 50% thing holds up, or if it's something different ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline scura283

• New Egg
Re: What's the "Scam Price Point", you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
I posted this on Adv Rider a while back, these listed for $5000+ new.

I decided to check out the local craigslist for a scooter when I found this ad.

Scooter/Brand New-$1800 (Fort Collins)

Reply to sale-q2n9a-2345593625@craigslist.org

Scooter is a Citycom 300i, BRAND NEW!! Reasearch at www.2strokebuzz.com/2009/05/31/citycom.

There were 4 pictures of a Citycom on a classy gated driveway.

I thought it was a scam, but decided to take a chance and replied to the ad from an alternate E mail address and spelled out my phone number.
As I was getting into my car to return home from work I get a call. I asked to see the scooter, he says he is on his way home and will call me when he gets there. About a 1/2 hour later he calls and gives me his address and says come take a look. His address is in a cool part of FC, so i grab my gear and the wife and head to FC. When we arrive there sits a 39 mile '09 Citycom, it still had the protective covering over the dash lens. Turns out that he won the scooter in a charity auction and didn't ride. The only problem was he had lost the MSO and hadn't applied for the title. Needless to say I told him I would buy the scooter if he could get the title. It took about a month for the dealer to get a duplicate MSO. He called last Thursday and asked if we could come up and pick it up. After filling the gas tank and the tires with air I rode it home. One time when it wasn't a scam.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »
Just missed a $500 '84 BMW R100RT that was posted on a nearby Facebook "for sale" page. Totally legit - a friend beat me to it. Was owned by a guy who decided not to ride any more and just wanted the garage space.
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
I got a $500 offer to buy a bike but I know the owner.   :thumb:  Now I have to talk with him to see about the condition.  He has to get rid of it because of health reasons. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
Here lately, at least in the OKC area, the scam listings on CL all end in weird numbers.  For example, 2008 GSXR $2422, 2012 Yamaha R1 $5728, etc. 

More to answer your question, the old adage "if it's too good..." seems to always work out. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:32:56 PM by derek533 »
06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here