Author Topic: Is there anything about a Guzzi that merits bragging?  (Read 11932 times)

Orange Guzzi

Re: Is there anything about a Guzzi that merits bragging?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 11:00:54 PM »
Dependability, versatility, interchangeability.   I was reluctant to buy my first one for fear of parts.  I currently own a bike with parts from 17 different models.  All intentional.  A Tonti Guzzi has to be the most flexible motorcycle ever built.  Or maybe an H.D. 

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 11:01:21 PM »
Anne Margrett rides one
That's enough for me
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 11:18:55 PM »
The smile!

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:05 PM »
Guzzi never really cared what Americans wanted, or seemingly what anyone besides their own designers thought was best. They were resolved to believe in their own vision and make as many motorcycles as the market could take, on their terms. Therefore the bikes seemed quirky and the management seemed at best ambivalent about wanting to sell them to us. You had to find out pretty much on your own that you were the kind of odd duck that likes a Guzzi. Nobody could explain it to you, and you can't explain it to anyone who asks you what their bragging points might be.
I dunno, it seems they tried pretty hard to go after the US market with the Loopframes, and Californias.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:05 PM »

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 11:50:32 PM »
     I'll have to invent a word for this,,, road "huggability",,, I've mentioned it many times before, but I have always felt like my guzzis are very well planted on the pavement, like I'm on rails,,, hard to describe and quantify, but I feel very secure on them.

The incident that really captured that for me, happened a couple of years ago,,, at that time I was riding regularly up hwy 17 into Renfrew, and had taken the exit into town at least a dozen times, it was a very nice gentle 120 degree sweeper,,, I would always hit it with a good head of speed 70-75,,, scrub a little speed off going in,,,and then throttle out,,, the type of curve that puts a smile on your face every time. On this particular day, I was daydreaming, soaking up the sunshine and the ride just a little too much,,, I missed the exit,, but no problem,,, I'd get off at the second exit(never taken it before), still riding in the same fashion and speed. As I approached the second exit, I realized very late, that it was a much tighter turn,,, at the time it seemed to corkscrew right in tight to 60 degrees (exagerration lol). I scrubbed off as much speed as I could going into the turn,,,love the linked brakes for that type of braking, no drama,,, and then I just put my shoulder into it, and started leaning,,,leaning,,, and then leaned some more,,, throttled out of the curve as composed as could be,,, I literally felt like I was on rails, going around that curve,,, new shorts were in order,,, but otherwise,,, the bike made up for my incompetence.

That was when I gained a ton of respect for my Lemans CX100 and the whole Tonti frame mystique.

The other thing is somewhat of an oxymoron, because I usually have to order parts at relatively high cost from the US,,, but the reality is for a somewhat exotic vintage Italian bike,,, simple parts availability. I'm shocked when I read how tough it is to get parts for some of the relatively recent Japanese bikes. I was looking at a pair of 1988 Honda CB450S's,,, but from the little bit of research I did,,, a lot of the parts are just not available. It might have to do with the simple automotive style engineering on the guzzis,,, but I'm very impressed, that even though a bit pricey, I can still get most parts to keep my guzzi going,,, and she's almost 40 yrs old.

I agree with the conversations with strangers,,, I've had many passionate conversations and encounters with strangers,,, I was on the Lemans bombing up Carling Ave one day, the Lafranconis were bellowing their usual beautiful, baritone song,,, I started gearing down for a tight hairpin exit to the parkway,,, the backpressure burble rumbling out of the pipes was magical,,, as I slowed,,, a car 2 lanes over sped up to get alongside me to get a good look at my bike,,, he started beeping his horn,,, slapping the side of his car in joyful appreciation,,,leaned so far out the window to give me a thumbs up,,, I thought he was going to fall out,,, obviously he was a vintage bike nut like myself,,, lol. The only other bike that I can envision getting that type of enthusiastic response from a stranger would be a Ducati 900ss?.

fwiw ymmv

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 12:44:12 AM »
If you care to go back to earlier days, late 60s, through the mid to late 70s, you only had a few choices for big, comfy open road bikes. HD, BMW, Moto Guzzi. (I dismiss the Brit offerings and Sportsters of the era as touring bikes, YMMV) Of the 3,  HD was the most common. It had the most torque, ( the most presence ?) but not much finesse in the turns. It was a vibrator, and a chain driven oil leaker. The BMW was a solid touring mount, reliable,  shaft drive, but not nearly the torque. The Guzzi had the torque and VTwin (best parts of a HD), the shaft drive, the reliability, and autobahn comfort of the BMW. Plus it was cool as F#@&.  :grin: They were already miles ahead of the competition (IMHO) when they brought out the Tonti frame with its great handling and brakes. They were king of the hill, til Honda brought out the Gold Wing, and captured the touring crown. Even after that, it was hard to beat what I call a 3/4 size  road bike. Small enough to be fun on back roads, powerful and planted enough to go on the slab all day. Maybe too small for 2 lard arsed American riders, however....
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 01:20:35 AM »
I (we) have one  :thumb:

The owners/riders of "lesser"machines can't say that  :wink:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 03:34:36 AM »
Guzzi is a very common bike, nothing to brag about.

everyone in wildguzzi forum have one or more guzzi in their garage.
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 04:19:49 AM »
I dunno, it seems they tried pretty hard to go after the US market with the Loopframes, and Californias.
Yeah and if that WAS ever true it went out the window a few years ago when they opened a design studio in California.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 06:36:04 AM »
Good looks, simple, solid mechanicals, not common, reliable (if set up and maintained correctly).
My mk3 LeMans has been my daily ride, weekly ride(kids),yearly ride(cancer) back to weekly ride since 1987.
It has toured, play raced, commutted, done mountain twisty roads, long sweepers and the long flat roads of the outback, dirt roads, flooded dirt roads and over 120 rallys( an excuse to get drunk in another sheep paddock or location).
Its taught me mechanics, auto electrics and loyalty, saved my arse by shear stability more times than I care to remember.
I love it.
It has also probably contributed to 2 shoulder repairs, that's life.
They are not for everyone, but that's the point.
Ride what you want, enjoy it and don't dis someone elses selection.
Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 06:39:56 AM »
Thanks Kev.
Very well put.
An awesome answer that is the essence of why I believe a Guzzi will always be my ride.

I never wanted to ride, until I saw a Guzzi.
(hey, where's that Marketing Idea thread. This would make a great slogan!)

That's good!
Might be something about a 90 VTwin too, my Daughter only
Ever wanted a Duc and it was that sound that first made her
look.

Maurie.

redrider

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 06:48:39 AM »
Second longest manufacturer, second to HD. I've owner both, they both can make noise, but the Guzzi runs down the road smooth.
Norton began operations in 1898, and Benelli opened up in 1911.  :popcorn:

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »
First, my T-3 especially is a magnet at stops. Almost always will be approached by someone to comment or ask about it. Not so much my Norge but I have found out a lot of people think it is a BMW.
Second, although I have had problems at times with both bikes they have always got me home.
Third, toughness is tops too. Forget weight limits on a Tonti frame. It will handle as much as you can secure to it. Another time the wife and I were on a poorly maintained paved back road when I missed seeing a serious pothole and hit it very hard at around 50 mph. With both cleared air and my wife said she seriously thought she was going to be thrown off the bike, no damage at all on the bike or wheels.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2016, 07:24:08 AM »
Ditto what 80CX100 said, it's what I mean when I say they often can be ridden faster than a faster bike. I learned that in the late'80s when I was a service manager for a large Kawasaki&Suzuki dealer and I had to test ride their bikes. The power of the big sport bikes was addictive and many times would get me out of shape at the most inappropriate times, making me wish I was on my Cal2. I'm not that good of a rider but I did complete a law enforcement motorcycle course so I have a certificate that says I'm qualified for "advanced patrol and persuit" dated 1984. I think that my Cal2 which I used for the class masked most of my faults as a rider. There is a whole other aspect of Guzzis, years ago I was talking with The Texas Turnip Farmer about fixing mechanical troubles on a trip. Long distance riders need to be self sufficient, and he said " they will run with so much wrong with them"- a trait that has helped me out!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »
 Mechanically speaking  easy valve adjust.  both in the way you set the valves and ease of access to the valves.
  A big Air/oil cooled lump. No complex water hoses water pumps.
Dead simple design .
Styling ,  Guzzi's have that Italian flair. Never really seen a ugly looking Guzzi.
I mean yeah they can be whored up and made to look ugly.
It's a look, a sound, a feel, a connection,  that i don't get with most motorcycles.
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
A long, long time ago I read a column by Clement Salvadori in Rider magazine.  In the column, he mentioned the phrase "hearing the music."  According to Mr. Salvadori, one hears the music while riding motorcycles only when all things come together to form a whole that transcends each individual piece of the riding experience.

I admit to not hearing the music every time I ride -- but I most often hear it when I'm aboard a Guzzi.  I continue to ride in hope of experiencing those musical interludes which have little to do with specs, speed, power, style or anything else easily quantified.

Play that tune, Carlo and company.  I'm all ears.

Best,

Carlo (the other one)
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2016, 09:38:26 AM »
My Moto Guzzi is the world's most practical bike...disguised as exotic Italian butt jewelry. I have never enjoyed a motorcycle as much as my California Vintage. When I brag about it, I usually bring up the light weight (compared to others in its genre), reliability, ground clearance, great handling, and those Brembo brakes.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Penderic

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »
Something about the fuel tank?

:kiss:

Offline valval

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2016, 02:07:43 PM »
430 lbs wet and I don't have to take it in for a $500 or more shim adjustment!

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »
Love the look of  the Jugs.....  the bike man , the bike.     :grin:
chicks not bad
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2016, 02:23:27 PM »

That's good!
Might be something about a 90 VTwin too, my Daughter only
Ever wanted a Duc and it was that sound that first made her
look.

Maurie.

The 90 degree V-twin sound is definitely desirable.     I also enjoy the sound of my Duc.   In fact, the 90 degree V-twin is my favorite engine configuration for that reason.

I own or have owned motorcycles  with the following engine configurations:
90 Deg. V-twin (Guzzi, Ducati, Honda)
52 degree V-twin w/ offset crank pins (Honda)
Boxer Twin (BMW airhead)
Parallel Twin, 360 degree crank (Honda)
Parallel Twin, 180 degree crank (Honda)
Parallel Twin, 180 degree crank 2-stroke (Yamaha)
Inline 4 (Honda)
V-Four (Honda)
Single (BMW, Yamaha, Honda, Ducati)

90 degree V-twins are my favorite!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
they bring you into an elevated group of riders who are superior to any BMW or HD club..

1. They have been going out of business since 1921....(LOL)  :shocked: :rolleyes:

2. They are NOT mainstream, and thus are quirky and unique...just like the owners....(LOL)  :cool:

3. After a time, you eventually "morph" into a full-blown, qualified........ "Guzzi Geezer!!" (LOL)  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:05:26 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
Guzzisti don't brag and they don't care what you think.

They absolutely brag. Just in their own way. Guzzisti love the fact they're Guzzisti, and will share it whenever appropriate.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Online TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »
Over built and understressed. I've put a couple of miles on a few of them.
See my signature.
TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »
Norton began operations in 1898, and Benelli opened up in 1911.  :popcorn:

And both have been dead and resurrected numerous times. Guzzi has been in continuous operation since 1921, which only Harley has done longer. Guzzi still produces motorcycles in the same factory as when they started.

In the beginning, it was just the Benelli Garage, which repaired bicycles and motorcycles, but was already able to produce all of the spare parts needed for repairs. During World War I, Benelli worked hard fixing parts for the Italian machines in war and in 1919 the first motorcycle was presented to the public. In 1920 the company built its first complete engine in-house, a single-cylinder two-stroke 75 cc model, immediately adapted to a bicycle frame. A year later in 1921, Benelli built its first motorcycle, using their own engine which had by then become a 98 cc model.
Charlie

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »
When people ask 'why?' I tell them,

'It's everything you love about Harley-Davidson, and none of the things you hate about them.'

Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Stephen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2016, 05:18:58 PM »
People will walk out in the middle of a parade to give you kudos on riding a Guzzi...Yes it has happened twice now.
Stephen
Carrollton Texas
Christian Motorcyclists Association
2021 V7 Anniversary
2003 Aluminum
1971 Ambassador

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2016, 05:26:45 PM »
Not anymore.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2016, 05:57:02 PM »
For myself I have always found that with Guzzi's I don't have to think so much.  The way the geometry is set up what feels right is the right thing to do.  With other motorcycles I have to think about what will happen when I do this or what to do if I want it to do that.  On the Guzzi it is more intuitive and I can just follow my nose. 

Well, except I do have to remember to put the side stand down. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Motogogo

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2016, 06:02:06 PM »
https://youtu.be/2F6jX7Tdq5Q 

video by Daniel Kalal
68 V700
850 T crusty specimen
Welch, Minnesota

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here