Author Topic: ROGUE ONE, Star Wars movie....  (Read 8060 times)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
ROGUE ONE, Star Wars movie....
« on: December 17, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »
Well the wife and I saw today, the noon showing, first at our local theater.

Its about how the alliance got hold of the plans for the Death Star.  It was a good story that needed to be told, good idea, just not executed very well, IMO.  The characters needed more development, would have helped I think.

the last battle scene was marvelous.  The CGI throughout the movie was excellent.

It was the story in the first 30-45 minutes that was, well, lacking.  It seemed to jump to a different subject before the one before was finished, several times.  they tried to answer the questions with a little dialoge in the new scene, but it was lacking for me.

Better than the second set of trilogy of the franchise, but not as good as the originals.  Still, it was a good overall movie, just not a knockout for me.  I hope they explore the side stories in the franchise, as it could be very interesting.

No need to sit through all the credits, there wasn't anything extra.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Re: ROGUE ONE, Star Wars movie....
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
Star Wars films have always been thin when it comes to plot.

The original films were enjoyable, the prequels were painful.

Thanks for the review, I won't be holding my breath for it to show on basic cable or amazon prime.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 08:11:16 PM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 02:29:52 AM »
The original films were enjoyable, the prequels were painful.

I'm guessing Mr. Lucas got tired of hearing, are you going to make another Star Wars movie, so he did and it was a case of careful what you wish for with only the last half of Sith being any good.

I enjoyed the Force Awakens, but it was basically a remake of the original.  Now, it looks like they're going to have a new film every year, which probably won't be good for the quality of the films, but one can hope.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:13:48 AM »
Its sad that they have to revisit this story so many times when there are many SF books that would make GREAT films, now we have good CGI;

The Forever War - Joe Haldemann
Planet of Adventure - Jack Vance
Surface Detail - Ian M Banks
Mortal Engines - can't remember the author but he lives a few miles away on Dartmoor
Ringworld - Larry Niven.

just for a start!!
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:13:48 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:32:44 AM »
Saw it last night, enjoyed it.

They nicely answered one of the flaws of the original movie.

Yeah first 20 minutes was work to follow.

Tough to really develop that many new characters.

Couple of fun Easter eggs for fans of the series.

Fwiw it was a lot darker and less cartoonish than some of the efforts.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 09:24:06 AM »
My wife and I ALMOST saw it last night. We ate dinner next door to the theater in Friday Harbor, WA and planned on seeing it after eating. However, we were too full and decided to go back to our B&B room and watch Elf on my laptop instead...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:43:16 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing R1.

My two cents why the first Star War movies were good and the others suck:

1.  The first movies had an ensemble cast.  There was chemistry and humor.  Lucas did the same thing with American Graffiti but he lost the bubble and went into tech and story mode.  No one really cared for they other characters, there was little humor and little mystery.

2.  No mystery to the later movies.  We already knew the story that the didn't unfold until the last of the first three movies.  No mystery for the later movies that retold the plot we already knew. 

3.  I think Part 7 was just going through the motions. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing R1.

My two cents why the first Star War movies were good and the others suck:

1.  The first movies had an ensemble cast.  There was chemistry and humor.  Lucas did the same thing with American Graffiti but he lost the bubble and went into tech and story mode.  No one really cared for they other characters, there was little humor and little mystery.

2.  No mystery to the later movies.  We already knew the story that the didn't unfold until the last of the first three movies.  No mystery for the later movies that retold the plot we already knew. 

3.  I think Part 7 was just going through the motions.

Lucas's "social" pendulum swings quite a bit over the years.   "Phantom Menace" had white guys playing the "good guy" parts, and along with them had an Arab used car salesman, cunning, backstabbing Japanese Trade Federation hissing everything but "Ah, so ...", and their own head-slapping, foot-shuffling "Yassuh Boss" Step'n Fetchit.

This latest one has no "white guys" as the good guys, has a 120 pound woman kicking the arses of men twice her size, and everyone else is black or Hispanic; even some of the aliens.

And all THIS Long Ago in a Galaxy Far Away!   Amazing how all that works!   The pendulum swings back, I see, in Episode 5 and 6 ....

You have to try hard sometimes, though.   Anakin Skywalker could look once, jump out of a moving speeder, fall 2000 feet through the crowded air of Coruscant, and land RIGHT on another moving speeder, dead on target.   I can buy that.

But in the last one, when they're going to this horrible tavern in which their lives will be at stake if they don't watch their back every second ... everyone is nice to them, a couple strangers offer them a ride where they need to go ... the most valuable artifact in the galaxy is laying in a box in the basement and no one messes with it ....I wish we had a place like that here.  Get it straight .... !

Gene Siskel
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
Its sad that they have to revisit this story so many times when there are many SF books that would make GREAT films, now we have good CGI;

Mortal Engines - can't remember the author but he lives a few miles away on Dartmoor
Ringworld - Larry Niven.

just for a start!!

I would add Jack Chalker's Well of Souls to that list now that CGI has become so convincing . Of course , using a real book as the basis for a movie requires buying the book rights , these Star Wars movies are just rehashes that barely even need a screenplay .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 12:13:59 PM »

Ringworld - Larry Niven.

just for a start!!

"Ringworld"'s a good thought, but it's SO big and extensive that I doubt you could do it justice with any screenplay.

I'd substitute what I think is the greatest science fiction story of all time, "The Stars My Destination" (Alfred Bester).    Focused on one guy, with a great message, and CGI could do a great job with jaunting ... And it's a 50 year old story, the book rights are bound to be priced right if not public domain ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
Lucas's "social" pendulum swings quite a bit over the years.   "Phantom Menace" had white guys playing the "good guy" parts, and along with them had an Arab used car salesman, cunning, backstabbing Japanese Trade Federation hissing everything but "Ah, so ...", and their own head-slapping, foot-shuffling "Yassuh Boss" Step'n Fetchit.

This latest one has no "white guys" as the good guys, has a 120 pound woman kicking the arses of men twice her size, and everyone else is black or Hispanic; even some of the aliens.

And all THIS Long Ago in a Galaxy Far Away!   Amazing how all that works!   The pendulum swings back, I see, in Episode 5 and 6 ....

You have to try hard sometimes, though.   Anakin Skywalker could look once, jump out of a moving speeder, fall 2000 feet through the crowded air of Coruscant, and land RIGHT on another moving speeder, dead on target.   I can buy that.

But in the last one, when they're going to this horrible tavern in which their lives will be at stake if they don't watch their back every second ... everyone is nice to them, a couple strangers offer them a ride where they need to go ... the most valuable artifact in the galaxy is laying in a box in the basement and no one messes with it ....I wish we had a place like that here.  Get it straight .... !

Gene Siskel

Gene hints at the obvious.  The Empire is a Fascist and Species-Centric regime.  The empire is run by humans whose purpose is domination over an inter-species diverse universe.   You only see humans as governing the empire whereas the resistance and preyed up on planets are diverse. 

Space Nazis species cleansing the universe. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 04:30:17 PM »
Han shot first!

Now that I have that out of the way, let's go on to some of the other barely relevant topics.

The Star Wars epic is a space opera, closer to Buck Rogers than to mainstream SF. For space opera yet to be made into visual form, I'd love to see the Lensman series adapted. Tayalor Anderson's Destroyermen series might be workable for more modern material.

Ringworld was done as a mini-series, I believe, or maybe just optioned with production halted - Syfy had announced this a few years ago. Dune was done as a movie (bad, except for Sting as Feyd-Ruatha, who was brilliant) - and as a mini-series (much better but still disappointing). The copyright on Bester's "The Stars My Destination" won't run out till at least 75 years after his death (2062), so it depends on whether he's optioned the rights at some time and whether that option still holds. His estate or heirs may be able to renew the copyright. BBC Radio broadcast an adaptation called "Tiger! Tiger!" (British title of the book) about 25 years ago.

I've wondered why no one had done McCaffrey's Pern series - it would sit between science fiction and 'Game of Thrones'. Other authors ripe for adaptation include DeChancie's Space Trucker series, Cherryh's Chanur universe or Downbelow Station, James H. Schmitz (imagine Telzey Amberdon or Trigger Argee with some of today's action heroines!), Alan Dean Foster, David Weber, Effinger's steampunk, or the Lee/Miller Liaden epic. That's without even looking at the 5000 SF books I have on my library wall...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
The Culture books would be (most of them) awesome as movies. Banks had such an amazing imagination, not just super intelligent machine that were persons, but some of them senile, monkish, violent  - "Acting Outside The Normal Moral Constraints" - gentle, or "in retreat". Amazing aliens and near aliens like the Sichultians, the dead taking an active part in the world of the living. or not as the case may be. A society where want has truly been banished, at least material wants. An then the Culture rubbing up against non-culture societies..some as powerful or more powerful. 
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
Just back from seeing Rogue One.

Fantastic. Best since Episodes Four and Five.

Good story of service and sacrifice for the greater good. Makes perfect sense in the time line.

Much better live action acting and CGI than prequels one/two/three. Cameos from bit characters and key characters.

I look forward to seeing it again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:49:04 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »

Fwiw it was a lot darker and less cartoonish than some of the efforts.

Yep. Rogue One is a war movie.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
I slept through it on Saturday night. I guess I will be going to see again pretty

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
I STILL haven't forgiven "them" for cancelling Firefly after only one season.......
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 09:56:12 PM »
Yeah, Firefly! That was a good one!

Farscape was another good one too.

Another vote here for the Lensmen Series.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »
+1 for firefly.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
Well, I would vote for more of the Star Wars spinoffs after seeing Rogue One.  We saw it on opening night and again the next day.  Will see it again next week.

Don't bother with 3D or IMAX.  Not enough in there to make it worthwhile.  I liked it better in 2D sitting down in front.

And, yeah, there isn't much to any of the Star Wars movies.  I still like them.  Yes, some better than others and some characters could be left out without a dent in the story as far as I'm concerned.

Other scifi?  Would love to see just about any of it.  Heck, even John Carter wasn't horrible.  I could do without any more Predator movies  :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:53:19 PM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »
I thought it was pretty good.  Better the  others but the original three.  The CGI wasn't overdone (and Peter Cushing looked real ).  The plot was good.  There was humor and the characters were engaging (sigh). 

Basically, everything the subsequent movies came short. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:41:23 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 04:08:30 AM »
Saw it and liked it.

Even my wife who came under duress liked it
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 05:07:48 AM »
Same here, except for the wife part........ :grin:

John Henry

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 05:31:42 AM »

Ringworld - Larry Niven.

just for a start!!
And the Lensman series by Doc Smith.  Haven't read those in decades, maybe time to see if Kindle has them.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »
Everyone keeps referring to the CGI GovernorTarkin, however Tarkin is played by real actor Guy Henry in Rogue One.

From imdb:
Tarkin, portrayed by Peter Cushing in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) was played by Guy Henry in Rogue One. Henry had previously been cast as Sherlock Holmes in the television series Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House (1982) during the 1980s, Cushing had played the same character 20 years earlier in Sherlock Holmes (1964). According to director Gareth Edwards, this was a contributing factor towards Henry accepting the position as he was an admirer of Cushing having studied his work for the Holmes role.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »
Everyone keeps referring to the CGI GovernorTarkin, however Tarkin is played by real actor Guy Henry in Rogue One.

From imdb:
Tarkin, portrayed by Peter Cushing in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) was played by Guy Henry in Rogue One. Henry had previously been cast as Sherlock Holmes in the television series Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House (1982) during the 1980s, Cushing had played the same character 20 years earlier in Sherlock Holmes (1964). According to director Gareth Edwards, this was a contributing factor towards Henry accepting the position as he was an admirer of Cushing having studied his work for the Holmes role.

Interesting. I wonder if everyone assumed it was CGI (like I've been assuming the now particularly poignant appearance of Princess Lea was) and/or if they used CGI to make them look more similar? There seemed to be something slightly off about the character. Maybe it was just the difference in actors.

I dunno - saw it again last night (this time with Jenn). She dug it too.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 08:39:17 AM »

From imdb:

Henry did the motion capture but the face and details were CGI.
John L 

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
We saw it yesterday; while entertaining it was like junk food and left me empty shortly afterwards. No strong male characters, the female lead was half developed. The reprogrammed black robot and the shuttle pilot were the two best characters - and they were "minor" characters. Little to no chemistry between the characters and they weren't developed enough to make you care about them. sigh.

Then there were the annoying technical issues that nag at me. Why is there one place where all info is kept? Why are the files kept on tape in this huge tower that have to be physically removed to get at? Why do you have to take said tape to the top of the tower, outside, to transmit? Why is there a tape reading station at the top?! Why does the antenna need tweaking and why does the antenna pointer have to be further outside: Well you get the picture. It would have made more sense perhaps to shoot the tape up in a sounding rocket.  :tongue:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking this whole Star Wars franchise has jumped the shark. It needs a serious reboot, not unlike the new Star Trek series. And there are a LOT of good science fiction that should be made into a movie instead of keeping Star Wars going.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 10:51:59 AM »
Then there were the annoying technical issues that nag at me. Why is there one place where all info is kept? Why are the files kept on tape in this huge tower that have to be physically removed to get at? Why do you have to take said tape to the top of the tower, outside, to transmit? Why is there a tape reading station at the top?! Why does the antenna need tweaking and why does the antenna pointer have to be further outside: Well you get the picture. It would have made more sense perhaps to shoot the tape up in a sounding rocket.  :tongue:

Maybe you're just overthinking it.

1. It wasn't actually a tape was it, but some sort of discs right?
2. Why are all the structural engineering documents in a single archive? Why not. It's a heavily fortified planet, seems like a good a place as any to keep the data.
3. Why do the discs need to be accessed physically? Ultimate level of hacker protection?
4. Why do they have to be transmitted from the top of the tower? Actually we have no indication that they do, just that the rest of the tower was a buzz with danger/activity. Not to mention part of the archives lost power.
5. Why does the antenna need to be realigned? I dunno, but there were things blowing up all around it, maybe that effected something.
6. Why a station at the top? Backup? Who knows.
7. Why the alignment towers are outboard? Maybe there's a visual aspect.

I mean the real answer to most of all of this is simply that they thought it would make a good movie.

And hell, if anything I'd say it was one of the best efforts we've seen in a long time.

I mean the first 3 movies (IV, V, and VI) all had a level of realism lacking in them, way more than this latest effort, and you probably don't want to even talk about I, II, and III if "realism" is any concern at all.

I still find the real irony that Disney seems to be directing the franchise towards more realism and darker story lines (one millennial Vader wannabe aside).

I mean hell, with the possible exception of the fact that you know Vader kills the younglings in III (but are not shown it) we've actually never seen Vader more deadly (arguably even frightening) than we do in Rogue 1.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
Henry did the motion capture but the face and details were CGI.

Yeah.  I've just been doing some reading:

"Tarkin wasn't created entirely by CGI - but his face was digitally augmented to look like the original actor form ep 4."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/how-rogue-one-brought-back-grand-moff-tarkin.html
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here