Author Topic: Shortening a Centerstand?  (Read 1892 times)

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Shortening a Centerstand?
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »
I have 1.5" lowered footpeds on my '08 1200 Sport, which meant I had to redo the brake lever and sidestand 3 years ago.  I finally bought and installed the original centerstand this month and had to remove 1.75" of the "tang" that sticks up that you step on.  Had a local welder cut and weld it back in place.  Slightly harder to lift onto the stand but not impossible. It appears, and its true on the Norge and 1100 Breva that the centerstand seems to be extra TALL.

This got me to thinking... Is it possible to cut an inch off of the centerstand height and weld it back together and still have it be as strong as before?  I realize that a lot of weight is on that thing but it seems rather tall for the job and a shorter structure might work better. Cutting and re-welding... would it no longer be strong enough?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: Shortening a Centerstand?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »
 In looking at pictures of your centerstand it would appear to be easier to make new feet to weld on after shortening below the crossbar. Easy job for your welder.  :popcorn:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »
That makes sense !  Cut off both feet, cut off 1" of both legs, weld both feet back on.  I may attempt it over the winter and let you know how it works out.  It just seems that  the centerstand is taller than it need be.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:05:10 AM »
That makes sense !  Cut off both feet, cut off 1" of both legs, weld both feet back on.  I may attempt it over the winter and let you know how it works out.  It just seems that  the centerstand is taller than it need be.
Just a tip mate, remember if you cut 1" off your stand, your back wheel will get 2" closer to the ground when stand is deployed, 'cos it's twice as far from the front wheel contact patch to the rear wheel as it is to the centrestand. Just sayin'.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:05:10 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:14:40 AM »
I'm a little puzzled by the relationship between lowered footpegs and the "need" to shorten the centerstand?

Now I remember the B11 took a little grunt to get onto the centerstand, but the result was a well supported bike that was easy to remove either wheel from. I would think that if you shorten it too much you'd risk not getting the wheel(s) off the ground reducing both effectiveness of the stand and access to the wheels.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 06:30:29 AM »
Kev, There's no relationship with lowered footpads and shortening the center stand.... except that I had to take about 1.75" off the "tang" of the center stand because when its retracted, it was hitting my left heal. Having removed 1.75" of the"tang" that I step on has made it a little harder to get onto the stand. Then when I'm touring with added weight it will be even harder.

So my thinking was... 1. Why does the rear tire have to be 2.5" off the ground?, 2. I use the center stand in the garage, when adding gas, and when servicing and washing it.  3. Since I know a good welder, maybe I could work with him and shorten the centerstand so the rear tire is ~1" off the ground (not 2.5") and make it easier getting it onto the stand? 
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
Kev, There's no relationship with lowered footpads and shortening the center stand.... except that I had to take about 1.75" off the "tang" of the center stand because when its retracted, it was hitting my left heal. Having removed 1.75" of the"tang" that I step on has made it a little harder to get onto the stand. Then when I'm touring with added weight it will be even harder.

So my thinking was... 1. Why does the rear tire have to be 2.5" off the ground?, 2. I use the center stand in the garage, when adding gas, and when servicing and washing it.  3. Since I know a good welder, maybe I could work with him and shorten the centerstand so the rear tire is ~1" off the ground (not 2.5") and make it easier getting it onto the stand?

Got it!

Sure sounds reasonable.  :thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
I'll wait for confirmation, (I don't have your model) but I think you're deploying the sidestand wrong.  I use that tang on the side of the stand to lower it until it touches the ground.  Then I put my foot behind the heel of the 'foot' to block it, and pull straight up on the frame handle.  Bike pops right onto the stand, and I have no biceps or rotator cuffs to help it along, so I know it's easy.

Just a thought.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
I'll wait for confirmation, (I don't have your model) but I think you're deploying the sidestand wrong.  I use that tang on the side of the stand to lower it until it touches the ground.  Then I put my foot behind the heel of the 'foot' to block it, and pull straight up on the frame handle.  Bike pops right onto the stand, and I have no biceps or rotator cuffs to help it along, so I know it's easy.

Just a thought.

On my B11 I had to physically push down on the tang using some force or most of my bodyweight. I think it's because there was so much lift. I never could really just pull it up or roll it back and up like I could on my Jackal.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 02:36:53 PM »
Not going to shorten it. After taking a closer look at the centerstand and its construction,  there are way to many cuts and changes that would need to be made to avoid interference with other things on the bike. Case closed.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 12:32:02 AM »
Another solution is to roll the bike backwards onto a 1" plank and then deploy the center stand. If you're touring, get off the bike with side stand down, place the plank, then roll it back onto the plank and deploy the stand.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 12:44:38 AM »
Another solution is to roll the bike backwards onto a 1" plank and then deploy the center stand. If you're touring, get off the bike with side stand down, place the plank, then roll it back onto the plank and deploy the stand.
I do that all the time at home but jeez, would you want to take a plank with you on tour ?

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »
I have that setup now in my garage using a 2 X 10 cut 24" long an angled on both sides to roll the rear tire onto it. I will use the side stand most of the time and the centerstand on an "as needed" basis. Stepping onto the foot of the centerstand, getting all my weight onto it and grabbing the grab rail to hoist it up, is the only method I know to get it up on the stand.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here