Author Topic: Evidence that some people are making too much money!!  (Read 9258 times)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Evidence that some people are making too much money!!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 01:37:23 PM »
But John , your friend would have saved $6500.00 if he hadn't bought the massage chair at all ...

Dusty

You don't position it that way because he'll be wining about the "deal" he missed.  Besides he has two others already that he does not like that he'll sell.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
Not sure if anyone here watches Bob's Burgers, but this reminds me of one of my favorite episodes where Gene finds a toilet like that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6fu7XB7qbs

:laugh: :laugh: Good stuff.....I like Bob's burgers. One of those shows that keep's my wife rolling her eyes and shaking her head.  :laugh: :laugh:
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
 Was doing some work on a new house 15 years back , the budget was in the millions . Overheard a discussion between the GC and the homeowner as to whether the homeowner preferred the
$10,000.00 or $7000.00 shower head in his personal shower  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
Was doing some work on a new house 15 years back , the budget was in the millions . Overheard a discussion between the GC and the homeowner as to whether the homeowner preferred the
$10,000.00 or $7000.00 shower head in his personal shower  :shocked:

Dusty

Can you imagine?!?  :rolleyes: :shocked:  What does a $7K-$10K personal shower head look like...and what else does it do?!? (LOL) :wink: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »
We've never had any kitchen appliances besides the usual - Whirlpool, GE, Maytag.

We've been looking at new kitchens and were introduced to the "Viking" brand.    I checked out a lovely 30" wall-mount oven.   The doors and racks worked beautifully, looks like a really nicely made applicance.

$8500!   Even though I'm an Earth 1%-er,  that's way out of any league I might be in.

I'll buy a Whirlpool and a really nice SP-NT instead!

Lannis
The thing is, once you cook on one of the higher end stoves, you really come to appreciate just how much better they are.

They are worth the premium price. I am comfortable paying  $8K for the Viking, but I have heard good things about the Bertazzoni, but do not know anyone who has one.  And I like the style.

Jdg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »
The thing is, once you cook on one of the higher end stoves, you really come to appreciate just how much better they are.

They are worth the premium price. I am comfortable paying  $8K for the Viking,

The Viking was a single oven with a double door - you pull open one side and the other side opens too.   The racks slid very nicely in and out, not like the normal oven where a wire rack sticks and grinds going in and out.

That's nice, but it's not $6000 price differential nice.   My current oven holds the temperature pretty well, has a cleaning cycle, is 22 years old, and has a light inside.

What else does a Viking do to make it worth that kind of money?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 03:17:07 PM »
Can you imagine?!?  :rolleyes: :shocked:  What does a $7K-$10K personal shower head look like...and what else does it do?!? (LOL) :wink: :smiley:

IMS , the only difference was what they were plated with , seems one was gold and one was silver.
This same house had custom copper gutters , shipped in from Germany , and a custom slate roof that cost like 60K . Crazy thing , this house was only built so the owners would have a place nearer a hospital , just in case . They actually lived on a giant ranch South about 40 miles . They were pretty generous , passing out some nice bonuses to most all of us who worked on the house.  Of course , when you just sold a business that was built from scratch for 100,000,000 dollars , being generous isn't too difficult . Still , they were , and it was a nice gesture  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Money doesn't buy happiness but owning a Guzzi does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
Money bought the Guzzi, no? DonG

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »
The Viking was a single oven with a double door - you pull open one side and the other side opens too.   The racks slid very nicely in and out, not like the normal oven where a wire rack sticks and grinds going in and out.

That's nice, but it's not $6000 price differential nice.   My current oven holds the temperature pretty well, has a cleaning cycle, is 22 years old, and has a light inside.

What else does a Viking do to make it worth that kind of money?

Lannis

Some are a bit intangible - such as the precise feeling of the flame adjustment on all the burners, especially when simmering or doing light sauces.  On some models you can get an 18,500 BTU burner for quick boiling as well as an 8,000 BTU (on high) for more delicate cooking.  All other burners run at 15,000 BTU with something in the range of 25,000 BTU in the oven.  Other manufacturers tout such features as a 22,000 BTU burner as well as a 130* simmer.

The fit, finish, and construction of the Viking, Bluestar, Bertazzoni, Wolf, and La Cornue are notably better than the Westinghouse, GE, Whirlpool class of ranges (none of which come in a 36" wide varity).

I will admit the La Cornue Chateau series are a bit beyond my price comfort zone ($31K plus shipping for the 36" version), and I rule out the Wolf strictly on aesthetics, which leaves the Viking, Bluestar and Bertazzoni to choose from.

It's like motorcycles.  Something for everyone.  All of them will get you there (most of the time) - some faster than others, some just feel better than others.

jdg
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
Re the woman at the stove: I'd like to watch her whisk an egg or two.

Bertazzoni is a well built range and a bit pricey. But it is not in the 1%er's range. Check out a Gullo range. Also made in Italy but mucho more money! Gullo and LaCornue are similarly made. Built like a tank.

If you're checking out good ranges, give a look to Lacanche. LaCornue is a full frame range usually needing extra bracing beneath it. Very heavy. Lacanche is not a full frame range so significantly lighter, but much appreciated by the owners. The biggie with those ranges is the extra btu's of the burners. If you're a cook and can afford it the more btu's are well worth it.

1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Frulk

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »
This discussion reminds did me of one my wife and I had a while back. Now that we're making more money than we've made before we have some room to treat ourselves with some of the better brands in a particular product range. But, like years before we occasionally come back to cost. Old habits are hard to break. The wife was having a hard time understanding why the fly rod and reel I just brought home and was holding in the living room was pushing close to $1K. I pointed to her Waterford crystal bowl on the coffee table and said the difference between this and my other rod is the same as between that and Tupperware. We had a nice quiet dinner that she cooked on our at the time 5 year old $900 stove. If she wanted a Viking that comment would prob come back to haunt me. :embarassed:

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »
Speaking of BTUs and gas burners,  this was at my hotel in Jeddah Saudi..

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »
...as I have said many, many times..."If you want to PLAY...then ya gotta PAY!"

True with cars, camera's, wrist watches, motorcycles, motorcycle gear, guns, knives, hi-end stoves....and woman!! (LOL) :huh: :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes: :wink: :grin: :laugh: - - - and sometimes in life...ya just gotta LET IT ROLL!!!  :cool: :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:43:45 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »
Speaking of BTUs and gas burners,  this was at my hotel in Jeddah Saudi..

Heck, that looks like the parking lot at Monty's Steakhouse in Woodland Hills on a Friday night (we have two Lambo dealers in the San Fernando Valley).

jdg
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2017, 06:18:08 PM »
Re the woman at the stove: I'd like to watch her whisk an egg or two.

Bertazzoni is a well built range and a bit pricey. But it is not in the 1%er's range. Check out a Gullo range. Also made in Italy but mucho more money! Gullo and LaCornue are similarly made. Built like a tank.

If you're checking out good ranges, give a look to Lacanche. LaCornue is a full frame range usually needing extra bracing beneath it. Very heavy. Lacanche is not a full frame range so significantly lighter, but much appreciated by the owners. The biggie with those ranges is the extra btu's of the burners. If you're a cook and can afford it the more btu's are well worth it.

http://officinegullo.com/product/cooking-suites/
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
$160k for dashboard clock,  $50k for a stove.

Yes, this just proves how much more intelligent the wealthy are than I am. 

Much, much, much smarter.

I feel too dumb to participate anymore.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
$160k for dashboard clock,  $50k for a stove.

Yes, this just proves how much more intelligent the wealthy are than I am. 

Much, much, much smarter.

I feel too dumb to participate anymore.

It's all relative.

The Pakistani guy who pays $500 for a used scooter that takes him anywhere he wants to go probably looks at someone who pays $18,000 for an equipped Guzzi 1400 and says:

"What kind of idiot pays 36 times what I do for a two-wheeled way to get around?"

That would be .... oh .... US!   I don't think it makes us stupid, we just have more money and like to spend it on different things.   I can pay $1000 for a stove or I can pay $36,000.   Doesn't make me stupid if I make a different choice than someone else.

Lannis

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
I worked in a neighborhood bar restaurant in a high end neighborhood ( million + dollar houses)  I cant tell you how many people would tell me about their pricy kitchen makeovers, and then when asked tell me how they never use there kitchen :shocked:
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
I worked in a neighborhood bar restaurant in a high end neighborhood ( million + dollar houses)  I cant tell you how many people would tell me about their pricy kitchen makeovers, and then when asked tell me how they never use there kitchen :shocked:

When we built this house and kitchen 24 years ago, Fay was the cook and so she got to choose the layout, the appliances, countertops, cabinets, etc.

Things have evolved, and now I do 95% of the cooking, baking, etc here.   So in our next house (a smaller retirement one), I get to design the kitchen!   

Some must haves - Wall mounted oven, no low storage, pots and pans hanging on easy to reach hooks and not in cabinets and drawers, a water faucet over the cooktop for filling pots while on the burner, gas cooktop for better control, an actual temperature display for the oven and not just the knob setting, a big stainless sink, and a refrigerator with a chest freezer below ....

Lannis

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
Do I assume she likes it as much as a Viking?  My ex- got the one in the house she kept.  Loved that stove.  I've been getting ready to remodel the kitchen and am debating between a Viking and the Bertazzoni.  Probably the 36" version.

jdg

Hey JDG,

Jill says she likes it better than the Viking because it seems less clunky and easier to clean.  But she's only used Vikings twice and then just for a few days after she was used to the Bertazzoni.  Jill would love a 36" Bertazzoni but that may be another lifetime.

When looking, we liked the Bertazzoni better (than the Blue Star particularly) because it has smooth top surfaces that are easy to clean.  The  knobs have a projection making it easy to see that the burners are on or off at a glance, even from across the room (the Gold plated version doesn't have the same knobs).  We've had it 8 years.  We mostly use the stove top, but we've been hosting pizza parties, Jill has been baking bread about once/week, she's made a couple of small turkeys and we've both used it for cookies and cobblers.   It has never failed us.  Most gas stoves (not high end) I've used seem flimsy in comparison.

Issues - there is no thermostat in the oven; temperature is controlled entirely by the valve opening.  It seems pretty darn accurate for that, but you need an oven thermometer to verify.  The oven racks screech loudly when new, but we don't notice it any more.  When running the inner and outer flames of the largest burner on the lowest setting the outer flame would go out sometimes - haven't noticed that for a while either. 

It's a great stove!
Shawn
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »

Who'da thought?

Bob

I always liked the "winged-wheel" logos!!  :thumb: :cool: 

NOTE:  Betazonni made heating stoves for railroad cars in the 19th century, so thus the railroad wheel.

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »
Hey JDG,

Jill says she likes it better than the Viking because it seems less clunky and easier to clean.  But she's only used Vikings twice and then just for a few days after she was used to the Bertazzoni.  Jill would love a 36" Bertazzoni but that may be another lifetime.

When looking, we liked the Bertazzoni better (than the Blue Star particularly) because it has smooth top surfaces that are easy to clean.  The  knobs have a projection making it easy to see that the burners are on or off at a glance, even from across the room (the Gold plated version doesn't have the same knobs).  We've had it 8 years.  We mostly use the stove top, but we've been hosting pizza parties, Jill has been baking bread about once/week, she's made a couple of small turkeys and we've both used it for cookies and cobblers.   It has never failed us.  Most gas stoves (not high end) I've used seem flimsy in comparison.

Issues - there is no thermostat in the oven; temperature is controlled entirely by the valve opening.  It seems pretty darn accurate for that, but you need an oven thermometer to verify.  The oven racks screech loudly when new, but we don't notice it any more.  When running the inner and outer flames of the largest burner on the lowest setting the outer flame would go out sometimes - haven't noticed that for a while either. 

It's a great stove!
Shawn

Thanks for that Shawn. A couple of more things to remember to add to the check list.

jdg
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2017, 04:25:39 AM »
Money bought the Guzzi, no? DonG
Yeh I guess but not much money in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2017, 06:39:14 AM »
  Ha, to me, you guys with brand new trucks or high buck cars and or or a fleet of late model bikes have too much money ( or too much credit)... :laugh: It's all relative to your point of view...

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »
Well, almost everyone in here has too much money compared to most of the world population.  1st world problem  ;)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

britman

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2017, 05:04:03 AM »
My Wife and I have been vehicle shopping for past couple of weeks.  With a brand new knee coming for her next month we have decided the manual shift in her Fiat Abarth has to go.  What a rude awaking, it is truly amazing how much something as an automatic transmission or leather upholstery will add to the final cost.  Vehicles are starting twice as much as my first house cost a few years back, (well maybe more than a few years.)  Of course I am leaning to something with a SS badge and a V8 under the bonnet, talk about prices through the roof........

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »
There was a program on the TV a month or 2 back that encapsulated this thread perfectly

a)  People paying other people £25k to decorate their house for Christmas
b)  People paying £10k for the box to put the present in
c)  £3k for a bauble

..... and of course you need his 'n hers Bentley's

Come the revolution .................  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:53:52 AM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2017, 07:29:09 AM »
There was a program on the TV a month or 2 back that encapsulated this thread perfectly

a)  People paying other people �25k to decorate their house for Christmas
b)  People paying �10k for the box to put the present in
c)  �3k for a bauble

..... and of course you need his 'n hers Bentley's

Come the revolution .................  :rolleyes:

No, not yet!   Think of the people that are GETTING the $25K to decorate the house, and the people making the baubles, and the people making $10K for a decorative box.

What a windfall!

That money's a whole lot more use going to some poor working sod just before Christmas than sitting in some Cayman Islands or Manx account .... !

Lannis

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
That's a very good point

I think that we're confirming the world is a VERY strange place depending on which way you're looking!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here