Author Topic: Drag bike for sale  (Read 1605 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Drag bike for sale
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
Re: Drag bike for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »
i started to build a bike with a 302 ford motor once.
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »
 Ahh , The Michigan Madman . Saw him match race the WM III in Tulsa in about 1970 . Don't know when he went to what is probably a clutch on the WM 5 , but the first 2 ran a direct drive in and out box . He had 2 crewman that would push him into the starting beam , pick the rear up with Tommy bars , and swivel an old style prop stand under the rear wheel . Potter would put the bike in gear , rev the engine to 4,000 RPM's , and as the old five light tree was between the last yellow and green he shoved the bike forward off the stand . The bike and rider disappeared in a cloud of smoke , and then he came shooting out . Pretty awesome .

One more Potter story . In the mid '60's racing the WM II , he was at a track in Ohio ( I think) , and at the end of his run he shut down the ignition . Unfortunately the engine Dieseled , and the bike just kept accelerating . That version employed a Norton Roadholder fork and drum brake . Potter said the brake scrubbed off about 10 MPH before burning up . He was still traveling about 150 , running out of run off area rapidly , with a forest about 100 yards in front . He had no option except to bail off , so he did . After tumbling , rolling , bouncing , and generally rag dolling for 70 yards , he came to a stop , only suffering some bumps and bruises . The drag bike was located some distance into the trees , completely destroyed after knocking down some 6" saplings . Of course shortly after returning home he began construction of WM III . Some folks never learn  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:12:38 PM »
  I well remember Madman Potter.  He wasn't the first to put a V8 in a motorcycle though, but he was the first to do it with an automobile V8.  Legendary aviation designer Curtis put an aviation V8 in a motorcycle about a hundred years ago
 and held the world speed record for a while.
 Potter however was a madman for the 1/4 mile drags and didn't have any use for fear.  The machine here for sale is a far cry from his crude and incredibly dangerous first efforts.  I remember the word of another of those long ago speed demons who copied Potter.  He was being interviewed for a magazine and was asked what it was like when the lights turned green.  He said, " Well with a big handful of throttle the big slick on the rear starts to burn and as the rubber heats up you begin to get traction and about three fourths of the way down the track the front wheel starts to rise." "That's
when it begins to get interesting."

Glen Curtiss' V8 Bike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_V-8_motorcycle
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:15:53 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:12:38 PM »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »
 Yes Potter appeared crazy, a great showman....His V8 bike was just exhibition, not involved in actual competition...Boris Murray's dual engine Triumph and Joe Smith's single engine Harley were just as fast with half the HP and were competition machines.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:10:50 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline TBShorty

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »
I saw Potter twice at Oswego Dragway in Illinois, 62 and 63 I believe.  Gassers and Fuel Roadsters match racing was the main ticket.  Potter was absolutely the main attraction though.  I remember an article in Hot Rod in late 60s about Potter experimenting with an electric drag bike.  He had conductive metal strips running the length of the 1/4 mile and outriggers with pick-ups running the juice to, if I remember right a 440V motor on the bike.  Strange man, God bless him.

redrider

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
T.C. Christenson and Hogslayer.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here