Author Topic: Pocket knifes. Do you carry one?  (Read 16469 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Pocket knifes. Do you carry one?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 06:05:37 PM »
True, Lannis.. a knife is essential equipment, a good light is second.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 06:12:09 PM »
Like Lannis I always have a small very bright flashlight as well as a sharp knife. I also carry a whistle in my motorcycle jacket. If I wake up in the ditch with broken ribs and no cell service I can blow that whistle louder and longer than trying to yell.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
True, Lannis.. a knife is essential equipment, a good light is second.

And a close third (which I don't often do but often wish I had) is a way to make fire.   I need to find an easier way to do that.   For years I carried a Zippo, but I too often forgot to keep it stoked with fluid and got out of the habit.

Then I had a neat light that had a bright LED in one end and a butane burner in the other.   But it was cheap and the light wasn't really that good.   

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »
 I recently rewatched Titanic.  It was heart breaking to see her near death , too weak to call out to the last life boat.
Then she blew a whistle that was around the neck of a dead crew member.  Such whistles have probably saved many lives over the years since they were invented.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »

Offline changohot

• New Egg
    • http://www.diazandpartners.com/
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 07:15:39 PM »
Benchmade AFO ll

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »
     I used to always have a Schrade old timer in my pocket. I used it for everything. One time I was able to extricate my trapped left hand from a knotter stack on a New Holland hay baler with it, using it to pull the cotter pins out of the master link, then as a hammer to beat the chain apart. (a long story). About 25 years ago I started carrying a basic Leatherman with me. I use it for everything. It is a very high quality tool. Even the pliers are the real deal. It is made in Portland, Oregon, and if it breaks,  they will replace it, no matter how old it is. About 6 months ago, my brother in law broke the file off using it for a pry bar. He bought me a new one called a  "Rebar", and my old one now resides in his fishing tackle box. The Rebar is even better than the original. I really don't know how people can get by without one. I use it for something every day. The kids always make fun of me for always having it on my belt, but they are always asking to use it, too!
     The story I heard was that Tom Leatherman, of Portland, Oregon, was travelling the "hippie highway" in an old Fiat that was always breaking down. He spent a lot of time wishing he could have one tool that could fix a lot of little things. When he came home, he came up with the Leatherman, trying to improve upon the Swiss Army Knife. I think he succeeded.

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »
     in an old Fiat that was always breaking down.

Fiat - Fix It Again Tony
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »
Yes, gotta have a knife. It's Gibb's Rule # 9  :wink:   
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »
I carry a Cold Steel American Lawman most times. Sometimes my Emerson Commander, though...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »
I usually carry either a small Chris Reeve Sebenza, Benchmade 530 or Benchmade 12800 Gaucho. I received a Benchmade 531 at Christmas that I may start carrying some.
North Carolina

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 10:06:02 PM »
I carry a leatherman tool every day (original made in the US thank you very much) and a folding Gerber.  If I had a dollar for every tick I've picked off a dog, and myself, and crushed in the needlenose pliers, I could probably buy a decent used Guzzi.

I cannot carry a Case knife, one of my favorites in carbon steel.  I seem to lose every Case I've ever had within a matter of days.  Other brands stay with me for years.  I like the carbon steel blades that are easier to sharpen than stainless, and I can put a razor edge on one.  I can't do much with the stainless, but that's about all you can find now.
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
And a close third (which I don't often do but often wish I had) is a way to make fire.   I need to find an easier way to do that.   For years I carried a Zippo, but I too often forgot to keep it stoked with fluid and got out of the habit.

In my camping kit I have a Toollogic SL3 - has a magnesium fire starter stick AND a whistle.
http://www.toollogic.com/knives/sl3-fire-with-magnesium-fire-starter-whistle-1.html
They have a version with a LED light in addition to the above.

My daily carry is a CRKT 3-1/2" blade M16-03Z with Carson Flipper and blade lock safety. For dressier evenings I have a 2-1/2" flipper.
I always have a Leatherman in my tank bag and one in the console of my truck.
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »
I'm another Leatherman fan.  I carry one always (except at airports   :) ).  I use the tools in it almost as much as I use the knife blades.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 10:28:16 PM »
Big fan of Kershaw and Mora knives here! Inexpensive and great quality! Got a saw tooth Glock knife for camping as well.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
never liked the leatherman, I need a knife 25X a day and the carrying case and slow opening doesn't work for me.

I needed something I can pull out, open, use, and return to the pocket with one hand...  settled on this after a shady x-employee stole my benchmade:

mine is blue tho
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:01 PM »
I've carried a Case Mini Trapper for about 45 years now.  They seem to last me about 20 years each before sharpening shortens the clip blade enough that the point begins to be exposed when the knife is closed.  I can't even remember the various ones I had before I found the Trapper, but I've always had a knife in my pocket since I was about 9 years old and I'm 70 now.  Like most of you, it gets used every day for one thing or another.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Moto

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2017, 12:09:56 AM »
I carry a small, three-blade stockman knife, a Diamond Edge 383, that was either my Dad's or my own that he repossessed when I left home. It's older than my T3!

In fact I've been meaning to bring up the topic of what we all carry in our pockets. The idea of a whistle in the motorcycle jacket is a winner. I've got one for sailing that I'll put in mine right now. A bright lamp would be good, but I don't think I have room for everyday carrying.

What I carry every day in my left pants pocket is these five items:

1. the pocketknife
2. a small folding magnifier, with 2 lenses
3. a small, retractable roller ball pen, the only pen I own.* (about $3 new, I've reinforced its barrel with aluminum pipe after finding that they break in my pocket)
4. a pocket comb
5. a nice stainless steel espresso spoon, that I use for scooping up the foam when I get a macchiato (Italian style) out

Moto

*The reason I only own one pen is so that I won't lose it. If I had more, I'd never bother to locate a missing one. My wife is the opposite. She must have enough pens for everybody on this board! Jack Sprat, etc.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 12:19:13 AM »
Leatherman in the tank bag (it travels in the van in winter). Great big honking Swiss Army knife in the ski parka -- it has a Phillips head that works well enough on Pozi binding screws, a vicious cross-cut saw, and about everything needed to make minor repairs.

A couple of smaller Swiss knives rotate in my pants pocket -- I misplace one, have the spare handy, find the lost knife in the laundry basket or someplace.

A nice folding brass-body Gerber -- too heavy and angular to carry comfortably in a pants pocket but it sits on my desk and gets used a lot.

I've had all of these at least 20 years and one or another is always within reach.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 01:23:31 AM »
Carried a Swiss army Huntsman for 16 years. Along with some moleskins and a Drizabone it was a parting gift as I left my homeland.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »
Generally speaking the Law wont let me over here. https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

If I go on a trip though my Swiss Army Champ will most likely be with me - just in a pannier rather than in my pocket

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 01:43:42 AM »
Yep.... always.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2017, 03:53:32 AM »
Me too. Victorinox always in my bag.
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 05:47:19 AM »
 2-1/2 inch Solingen...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
Other brands stay with me for years.  I like the carbon steel blades that are easier to sharpen than stainless, and I can put a razor edge on one.  I can't do much with the stainless, but that's about all you can find now.

You're right, Muley.. there are various grades of stainless..some grades are better than others for knife blades,  but none can touch a high carbon steel blade IMHO.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 08:07:36 AM »
never liked the leatherman, I need a knife 25X a day and the carrying case and slow opening doesn't work for me.

I needed something I can pull out, open, use, and return to the pocket with one hand...  settled on this after a shady x-employee stole my benchmade:

mine is blue tho

I think you might be referring to the original Leatherman models.  My Wave has one hand opening with locking blades.  Can't 'flick' it open like some folders, but, it is fast enough for normal stuff.  Without 'opening' it I have a clip blade knife, sheepfoot knife with serrated edge, a saw and a file (coarse one side, fine diamond grit on the other).  The two knife blades are one hand open.  All four lock open (every tool in the knife locks open). 

When the handle is 'opened' there are the pliers/wire cutter and other tools.  Scissors, interchangeable bit screwdriver (large and a small jewelers version), can opener, flat screwdriver.

Leatherman has quite a few variations, including one dedicated for EOD and another for rescue folks.  Not cheap anymore either.  :(

PS the blades are stainless.  Not sure which alloy but they do not hold an edge like carbon.  If your primary needs are heavy cutting then a dedicated folder with carbon blade (or maybe damascus) would be better.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:09:49 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »
Always, alight thin model since retirement!!!

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
I do at work. Otherwise no. Always seems like it's jabbing me in the leg. Same goes with tools. Carry a few on my belt at work, always shifting them around though.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
Always, alight thin model since retirement!!!

They make some beautiful light, sometimes skeleton-gripped folders these days that just weren't available when we "got used to" pocket knives.   If you get tired of that lump in your pocket or getting holes worn in your pocket, and don't want to wear another belt sheath (enough of those and your pants height is affected!), a lightweight's a good solution ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »
When ever I go out the door. :thumb: The Buck 110 has been with me for over 40years. Cant even guess at the number of deer its field dressed, gaskets trimmed and so on. The little NRA clip knife has been around for about ten years now. Tried to loose it at least four or five times but its always come back home so far. Carried a pocket combo tool for a long time but don't now that I am retired.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2017, 10:36:43 AM »
And a close third (which I don't often do but often wish I had) is a way to make fire.   I need to find an easier way to do that.

A $.99 Bic butane lighter will do that. I've used those things for years in the backcountry, never had a failure yet.

Or get a good fire-steel and a small tin of fat-wood (and make sure the back of your knife is capable of creating a good spark with it; you need a section of square edge on the spine).
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here