Author Topic: What would you ride if not a Guzzi?  (Read 11560 times)

Bill Hagan

Re: What would you ride if not a Guzzi?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 06:40:14 AM »
Yours is a question I probably won't ask myself, as when I stop riding Guzzis, it'll probably transitioning to a few more years of four-wheeling before Thep Decision. I am also thinking that knowing when to give up motorcycles will ease the transition to doing the responsible thing when that other time comes.  Sigh.

Anyway ... mine is not entirely blind brand loyalty, but also driven by my at-least-surface understanding for most things that will go wrong on my Guzzis, and I do not wish to learn another marque's quirks and foibles.  :rolleyes:

If, however, I were to ride something else, if younger -- which I am not  :azn: -- I think it would be this ... and yes, I know that's an older version, but I've always liked that von Richthofen PM livery  :laugh::

These days, as V7's start to appeal to me as I do Rubik's cube dances with my moto-harem in the Moto Grappa, this has some appeal:

Going with my brother in a couple of weeks to look at one ... for his garage.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:16:38 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline m13

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »
I'd lean toward a Goldwing. Or a PC800 (not sure on the PC never rode one, but interesting). I ride wanting some comfort and don't care about dragging foot pegs in the turns or being first to the next traffic light.
Had a Goldwing when they appeared in '75 , it got stolen and I immediately bought another one and logged a hundred thousand on it before stepping away from motorcycles for a while. Comfort, quiet, bulletproof. Not the prettiest bike but so functional and smooth! 
Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 07:16:25 AM »
Before I quit I was considering the CB500X.  Light with enough power.  But, I didn't ride one.  I still don't care for chains.

The vibrations on my NT700V (V twin) were not bad.  About like the Guzzi.  Not sure if the Honda's parallel twin would be better or worse.  I tried to like the beemer F800ST but the bar vibrations killed me too.  Wanted to try the F800GT to see if they were any better.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

bpreynolds

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »
I'm already riding the bike I'd be riding if not a Guzzi.  KTM 950SM.  After about 12 years of owning nearly everything in the line-up (Norge, V7, 4 1100 Californias, 8V Griso) and some Ducatis and vintage bikes as well, finally got the KTM I'd wanted all those years.  Happy so far for these last 9 months of ownership and have covered about 10k miles in that time.  Thought I'd miss the character thing the most but honestly, the KTM's carbs and FMF muffs kinda give it loads of character and courtesy of those carbs, it can be a nice in-town bike and a road bike as well, as practical as my previous Geese.  Almost.  Though love is blind and I think my KTM is real world dirt bike gorgeous as opposed to the coffee shop ADV models, what I miss most about not having a Guzzi is just staring at it while parked or in the garage.  They sure make'em purdy.   :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2017, 07:30:16 AM »
Say Boat try a big scooter, the Suzuki and BMW are a hoot to ride, my 1200 is here for you when you want to come back (the faster black version)  :grin: :laugh: :bike-037: :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 08:01:27 AM »
I was in a similar place a few years back.  I really wanted an everyday ride that would be easier around town with less weight and lower COG.  I also wanted the capability to take the occasional longer ride on the slab.

This had been my primary ride for a while.  I loved this bike, and rode it from the northeast to the west coast, down to the gulf and the southwest.  But it was heavy and I was taking fewer and fewer long trips.  It just became a lot of work.

upload your picture

My solution was this camhead BMW R1200R.  I put on an aftermarket screen, Throttlemeister, tank bag, and the OEM hard bags.  Some 150 pounds less than the EV, much lower COG, shorter wheelbase/quicker steering geometry gave me just what I wanted.  Not as comfy on long rides, but I can still do 600 mile days on it.

With the latest waterhead R1200R in the showrooms, these camhead R1200Rs can be found reasonably priced with relatively low miles.

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
 I sold my 950 Guzzi cafe bike a few years ago.....Bought a 97 tube frame Buell, fun bike but sold it and now have a 96 Ducati 900 Monster....Back to the big bore Italian V twin... There is no substitute for the sound and feel of a Guzzi or Ducati, all the others are just motorcycles.. :grin:

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »
Ducati although a KTM super duke GT is looking most likely the next bike. I've currently got an Aprilia but to me its just a Honda made in Italy.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
Seems like more than a few of you are thinking the same. I was also considering the 4v 12/13/14 r1200r. As straightforward as you can get for a Beemer. I've heard some issues with the rear end- but guess that it is worked out by this vintage. They feel much lighter than the Guzzi (weight low). Also, the new LC engines seem to have depressed values to reasonable levels.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Brevaman

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
Now that's a tough one although lots of like minded choices mentioned.
 Another one I've been interested in is the the Duc Scrambler - especially the new Desert Sled.
The (discontinued) KTM 990SMT is a gorgeous bike and would be a blast to ride but mileage and range stink.  I've owned a few Beemers and had enough of those.  I'm pretty content with the 750Breva and CB500X in my stable.  I should be: I haven't owned either for a year yet.... :rolleyes:
'08 Breva 750, the pretty one
'16 CB500X
'11 Suzuki DL650A sold
'09 Yamaha XT250 sold
'90 BMW K100LT sold
'80 Suzuki G850L sold
'70 R75/5 Black Beauty sold

kirby1923

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
Probably a BSA A10

It would have to be done right.

:-)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »
This

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »
I think your requirements are best met by different bikes.

Around town, in very heavy congestion, I would ride a Vespa (and I do). Out of town, on the interstate, droning for hours at a time, I would ride a bigger motorcycle (and I do).

Around town, in stop-and-go traffic, a light weight bike with an CVT is your friend. On the highway, at high speed, for hours at a time, a heavy motorcycle is your friend.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
I think your requirements are best met by different bikes.

Around town, in very heavy congestion, I would ride a Vespa (and I do). Out of town, on the interstate, droning for hours at a time, I would ride a bigger motorcycle (and I do).

Around town, in stop-and-go traffic, a light weight bike with an CVT is your friend. On the highway, at high speed, for hours at a time, a heavy motorcycle is your friend.
My ex GF had an LX150 Vespa. Brilliant machine! Talk about hopping on it and buzzing away at the drop of a hat.  I would own a Vespa with no problem. I hear you about the weight thing. I guess that CG and suspension can make a big difference.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »

Ducati(i'd either go to a school or just figure out how to adjust the valves myself), Motus because the engine is unbelievable, Aprilia and probably a Norton for an old bike.

Always liked the look of the production racer and they are easy to build with repo parts.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
I love Ducatis, but in my limited experience, they are difficult to ride around town in heavy, stop-and-go traffic. I could barely get my ST2 out of first gear around town. And talk about bucking and lurching! Oh, and that clutch pull, it was murder!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »
I thought my ST2 was quite civil except for liking to run at go straight to jail speeds.  :smiley:
Edit: Oh, forgot the original question. Maybe a new Thruxton or Motus.. although Ducati has a kool sport tourer in white down in Indy. Pricey, though..
Fortunately, I don't have to choose.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:52:59 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 01:16:53 PM »
I'll state the obvious.....V7II or III.   :thumb: 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 01:24:11 PM »
If you're open to a 10-19 year old bike, the Ducati ST bikes have a lot to offer with considerable variety between years and models.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
Oh, I'd never buy a new Ducati.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
I agree with Carlo DeSantis on this one. 

When my Stelvio became too heavy for me to "comfortably" handle when fully loaded, I changed to a used '07 R1200R.  It's a legitimate 100# lighter and is very capable of handling my long distance touring needs.  Although originally a naked bike, it is set up quite well with aftermarket parts for comfortable days in the seat with more than adequate weather protection.  It has almost 70K miles on it but still seems perfectly capable of moving down the road at a brisk pace. 

Age is starting to creep up on me, so I now schedule my riding days at 500 miles or less.  Most of my destinations are within that range but, if not, I just do the trip in multiple days and overnight along the way.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

kirby1923

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »
I agree with Carlo DeSantis on this one. 

When my Stelvio became too heavy for me to "comfortably" handle when fully loaded, I changed to a used '07 R1200R.  It's a legitimate 100# lighter and is very capable of handling my long distance touring needs.  Although originally a naked bike, it is set up quite well with aftermarket parts for comfortable days in the seat with more than adequate weather protection.  It has almost 70K miles on it but still seems perfectly capable of moving down the road at a brisk pace. 

Age is starting to creep up on me, so I now schedule my riding days at 500 miles or less.  Most of my destinations are within that range but, if not, I just do the trip in multiple days and overnight along the way.

And I agree with you Chuck.
If I were to buy a new(er) machine to do serious all wx quick travel it would be one like yours or a GS

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »

Age is starting to creep up on me, so I now schedule my riding days at 500 miles or less... 

If I didn't already know you, I'd accuse you of bragging your arse off with that statement ....  :grin:   :grin: 

Because 500 - 600 miles is all I EVER want, and I'm 20+ years behind you! 

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »
If I had the $'s one of these....well actually I would like to have one of these sitting next to my present Guzzi's!

image upload
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »

And I agree with you Chuck.  If I were to buy a new(er) machine to do serious all wx quick travel it would be one like yours or a GS. 

The GSA (the big tank version) and the Stelvio NTX are very similar in weight, so I can not go that way.  You're taller than me, (and younger), so that would be a good direction for you.  And there are a lot of used equipment available now that the watercooled version is out on the roads.

If I had more riding years in my future, and lots of money of course, I would go with one of the R1200R bikes that are set up with factory cruise control -- the '14 and '15 models, I think.  For my riding cruise control is very nice.  I have added a Rostra unit to the current bike and it does a good enough job for my riding needs.

Ride safe out there and we'll see you down the road someplace this year -- Cedar Vale is on the calendar.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline blacktruck

• New Egg
  • Traveler
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
Been away from the forum for awhile. Sad to say I find myself in a similar situation. Haven't made the deal yet but a dealer experience with my Norge is really making me not feel the love for the brand. I've never had a bike that I liked any better but of late it ain't making me feel the love. I won't mention what I've been looking at but a sport tourer it ain't. Just on here and saw the post so I am ranting a bit.

kirby1923

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »
The GSA (the big tank version) and the Stelvio NTX are very similar in weight, so I can not go that way.  You're taller than me, (and younger), so that would be a good direction for you.  And there are a lot of used equipment available now that the watercooled version is out on the roads.

If I had more riding years in my future, and lots of money of course, I would go with one of the R1200R bikes that are set up with factory cruise control -- the '14 and '15 models, I think.  For my riding cruise control is very nice.  I have added a Rostra unit to the current bike and it does a good enough job for my riding needs.

Ride safe out there and we'll see you down the road someplace this year -- Cedar Vale is on the calendar.

:thumb:

twowings

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »
This

Yes, everyone can see how thrilled you are!  :laugh:

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »
Boat, former 1200 Sport owner here.  I happen to have a couple of the bikes you mentioned.  BMW, the big boxers are going to be similar to the 1200 Sport in that low speed is a pain (they aren't comfortable unless going 15, without a clutch hand workout). Service is easy like a Guzzi but parts prices are, let's just say Bring More Wallet! Honda CB500X, wife rides one all over on multi-state trips. She complains it needs more power, not much punch at 80mph, and first gear is pretty low, which would be good in stop and go traffic. Excellent fuel economy with regular octane gas and absolutely no problems with the bike. Yamaha FZ07, love the motor and would replace the CB500X with an FJ07 (Tracer) if they brought it to the states. My son did just trade his Triumph Street Triple R in on an FJ09., which if you can live with a chain, it is an excellent do it all street bike. Decent wind protection and good luggage options, and the 3 cyl motor really works on this bike (fueling issues on the early FZ09 is not present on the FJ as it is programed for good mid-range torque with 3 different ride modes.) You should try to get a test ride on an FJ09.  If I didn't have an FJR and a GS as my co-primary rides, I could see myself being very happy with an FJ09.

Good luck and have fun in your search!
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
Right now, it's my Indian Scout, Sopowa. Fels so much lighter, runs so much smoother,  goes so much quicker, better ergos.. tank too small it's true,  and cold blooded under 20, but otherwise preferable all round.

images upload

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here