Author Topic: MOTUS future used prices?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
MOTUS future used prices?
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
With the new Motus selling between the mid to high $30's, what do you think their used market will look like as a 2-3 year old? Cycle trader has a few on there for 24 and 28. Will it stay high or will a 2 year old one drop into the upper teens?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: MOTUS future used prices?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
Our local dealer is selling a brand new one for $24, though it's not the high dollar one.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

twowings

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
I think it would take at least 5 years for the price to dip south of $20,000...and that's STILL $10,000 too much for my Social Security lifestyle.. :rolleyes:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »
Our local dealer is selling a brand new one for $24, though it's not the high dollar one.

Assuming a "K" on the back of the price, that's a pretty good deal for that level of bike!   

Never thought I'd say that, until I rode one .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
Can't imagine paying any more $ for a MC than any car I've ever bought.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
I think the Motus MST-R was the most exhilarating motorcycle I've ever ridden.

Caned it hard too.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 09:21:17 PM »
The Motus is a bare-bones, no bullshi# machine.  The engine gives raw power delivered in a wonderfully rough way that will snatch your ass from your throat before you know what happened. It has nothing in common with any sewing machine four-cylinder I've been on.  It's like a big twin Guzzi on major steroids.

If I wasn't trying to slow down and behave myself more, I'd already have one.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
Thankfully, it also has none of the typical electronic gadgets so prevalent these days.   

I'd want the R model if I got one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:25:17 PM by leafman60 »

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »
wonderfully rough way that will snatch your ass from your throat before you know what happened.

Never heard that descriptive before but very clear in its meaning.   :thumb:
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
I think the used market will command pretty high prices so long as the bikes stay in production. High resale value is good for their brand and makes it a little easier for most people to think such an expensive purchase. I wish them well. I wonder if they will release a sport-faired or naked version with a little more aggressive riding position?
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 07:04:56 PM »
I think it would take at least 5 years for the price to dip south of $20,000...and that's STILL $10,000 too much for my Social Security lifestyle.. :rolleyes:

Exactly....a fabulous bike for sure, and I would LOVE to have one....However, it is by design, only for the "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" segment. (LOL)  :shocked: :rolleyes: :wink: :grin: :laugh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
Can't imagine they'll do any better in the used bike market than more established bikes. Like high end cars, they'll probably  depreciate dramatically after the first couple of years.  Just my opinion, not based on fact.  I suspect they 'll be more like Guzzi, and depreciate like a bowling ball down a coal chute.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 07:38:45 PM »
Having started this post, my thoughts are that even when their prices drop into the high teens, they will be a hard sell due to the fact that there are quite a lot of NEW BIKES out there to consider at that price with warranties and zero miles.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
Our local Guzzi dealer has been trying to sell them. Not much action. I believe they are dropping the brand.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
Is their price based upon "Exclusivity" and they want it's price to be way up there... or that's what it cost to manufacture?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 12:51:54 AM »
Is their price based upon "Exclusivity" and they want it's price to be way up there... or that's what it cost to manufacture?

Since they are 1 of a kind and few have sold, I'd say their price is to cover the cost of producing the design, development of a V4(half a V8) of a US car motor and all it takes to develop it into a viable MC that's good enough to sell to the public.  Like any other new product until enough units are sold the cost per unit is going to be high.  If enough customers don't buy the 1st generation, the concept goes broke.  It's been at least 5 years now Motus has been trying to stay afloat as inflation keeps on rising the cost of production.  I'm surprised they are still in business, really.  Not that there is anything wrong with their product, just that it's price compared to competition is a tough sell.

This kind of reminds me of the Americans that produced the newer 952 Norton 5? years ago who finally went bust and ended up selling their results to a UK buyer who sold it a couple years later to the public.  Is he still in business?   I saw his product a couple years ago @ the Datil, N.M. Guzzi rally an American had bought for about $20k.  It was beautiful.  But how many customers are out there with that kind of $ to spend on a MC unless they buy a new Harley?  :undecided:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:06:01 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
Motorcycle sales are down.  The President wants to bail H.D. out with tariff's.  There have been many new stories written that H.D. will not make it a couple more years.  Over priced, saturated market place and aging customer base.  Motus is a boutique product.  Their fate is much worse than H.D.  Dealers of all brands have new stock that is over 2 years old on their showroom floor.  Would I own a Motus, if I could afford one.  Do I want tariff's on import's, that is debatable. 

A tariff is good for the used foreign motorcycle sales though.  It will drive prices up. Bitter sweet. 

Just like the Member here that was questioning the purchase of a 2003 California Special Sport.  Everyone was trying to push the price down by pointing out all the potential issues.  Mostly lack of repair parts and lack of service records.  If the MFG. goes out of business, the price will go down significantly as service and parts become unavailable.  I would say that  today's motorcycle market place is a high risk game.  Have you tried to sell a bike lately? 

Offline mauricedonini

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
Our local Guzzi dealer has been trying to sell them. Not much action. I believe they are dropping the brand.

Hamlin Cycles dropped Motus. 

Heard they sold three in one year.  One to the owner.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
Hamlin Cycles dropped Motus. 

Heard they sold three in one year.  One to the owner.

Many new Guzzi dealers don't do much better.  That's why it usually takes a dealer of many brands to try to sell new Guzzis.   :huh:

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
Many people who have ridden one want to figure out how to own one. Many would never buy into the $32k/$37k prices, but would pick one up used. That should keep the used market up for awhile.

The dealer selling one for $24k? That seems very low unless it is a demo (factory or dealer demo). Motus was hauling a fleet of bikes around last year for test rides along with the dealer demo. Some of those might be out for sale now.

A dealer expecting to sell a shit-ton of Motus should never have picked up the brand. They are spendy and have a limited market share. They are a nice brand add-on, not profit center.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
Now if a class of small race cars is developed based on the Motus engine, and if Motus is able to sell crate engines (no bike, just engines) at a profit, then the bike lineup might survive.  There's several "ifs" here.  I'll follow my local Triumph/Ducati dealer's results, as they're taking on Motus early this spring.  Their customer demographic (lots of well-heeled high end Ducati owners) might pick up on the Motus.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
Now if a class of small race cars is developed based on the Motus engine, and if Motus is able to sell crate engines (no bike, just engines) at a profit, then the bike lineup might survive.  There's several "ifs" here.  I'll follow my local Triumph/Ducati dealer's results, as they're taking on Motus early this spring.  Their customer demographic (lots of well-heeled high end Ducati owners) might pick up on the Motus.

There already are some small race cars that are using the Motus motor.  Forgot about that.  Think they are 1/4 midget dirt racers or something like that.  Maybe that's how Motus has stayed afloat this long.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:20:50 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 05:46:14 AM »
The idea of buying into a brand that sounds like they've made only a handful of machines sounds insane. Talk about self abuse. This makes buying a Buell look practical.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here