Author Topic: A real world comparison  (Read 2037 times)

oldbike54

A real world comparison
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:47:23 PM »
 My nephew the HD salesman called this morning . He had been to Vegas for a week on the MoCo's dime to test ride several competitor's motorbikes . Unfortunately no Guzzi , we will need to remedy that for next year ,

Anyway , here are some of his conclusions ; He was NOT impressed with the Big Indian , said the bags were rattly , and the front end dive under braking was very noticeable . The Yamaha Bolt was a nice bike , decent handling , usable power , well built .The new HD Roadster seems nice , although the riding position didn't suit him , and the suspension is just OK .  He was very impressed with the RNine T BMW , great power delivery , great brakes and handling , even sounded good . Not sure which Ducati he rode , Diavel didn't seem familiar , he didn't really bond with it . The new Gold Wing was impressive given its size , he preferred the Road King . Here is the kicker , there were something like 30 bikes all told , and he rode most of them for at least 40 miles on the track and the street . His favorite , wait for it ..... The Triumph Street Twin . Certainly not the fastest or most hi-tech , just a well balanced fun machine that does what a motorcycle should . Told him he should test a new V7 .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A real world comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
I went to the local triumph shop yesterday. The street twin is a good looking machine. Although the bobber isn't my "thing" it seems to be well put together. The mono shock/ rear swing arm was impressive. I'm a firm believer in triumph's machines and dealer network, but you know that😀
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
I was kicking some Triumph tires myself just two days ago.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »
I have to wonder about the Indian he rode. I sold them (a lot of them, actually!) and the front end didn't dive any more than any other bike its size and style - less than most. It's likely the suspension on the bike was not properly set. As for rattly bags, there is a definite trick to properly closing the bags on both Indians and the similarly designed ones on some Victory models. Do it right, they are very water-resistant and completely solid. Do it badly (or fail to set the mount retainers properly) and they will rattle and leak.

Very little new in the Gold Wings since the aluminum bike was introduced way back in, what, 2002? Feature and packaging changes, but nothing substantial I can recall.

There's something to be said for naked, or at least more simple and straightforward bikes. Not everything needs to be big, or heavy, or feature-loaded.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »

There's something to be said for naked, or at least more simple and straightforward bikes. Not everything needs to be big, or heavy, or feature-loaded.

[emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]  my theme for the day (and a lot of days recently).
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »
The Road King is pretty nice balanced ride.  Much better than Chieftain and Japanese clones.  None are a sporty as the 1400 Cal.  But the R1200RT is pretty much in a class of it's own (although that fairing is ugly).

Harleys and Ducatis do not compute.  For that matter neither do Beemers.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »
Wholeheartedly agree about the R Nine T....

image upload
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
I've ridden a couple of the new Chiefs on a couple different occasions. They're real, real nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
Nice comparison.  THX.
The Indians I've ridden have not shown excessive front fork dive either.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »

image upload

Leroy, Please give us some feedback on the new Racer. Best looking BMW for at least a few decades.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 09:10:04 PM »
I've only been able to put 70 miles on it before the weather turned, and all of it has been on the super-slab or in town. On the few twisties I was able to enjoy, the bike seemed telepathic in wanting to enjoy them too. Really am looking forward to taking it on my favorite backroad loop and getting acquainted with its personality there. Bars got buzzy enough at >70mph to slightly numb some fingers, but nothing serious and probably not fair to mention till after the thousand mile mark. Anything else, performance-wise, ehhh...I'm thinking the jury will be out until the first thousand miles are under our belt and I've dialed in the suspension. Acceleration to the breakin RPM limit is not OMG, but certainly adequate. Exhaust sounds surprisingly healthy, scratching one mod off from our immediate future.

Seating position is a bit more aggressive than the V11. Mirrors work well, the sidestand puts the bike on somewhat of an extreme angle...still getting used to that. Traction control, defeatable ABS, and grip heaters seem to be what these initial "product launch" bikes are equipped with. Grip heater has two levels, owners manual states don't run them on high all the time, only use it to speed warming up then go to the lower level. Current draw was the stated issue. Idiot lights flash until you get >3mph, a lesson I learned when starting the bike for the trip home...waiting for everything that was flashing to stop, which of course they didn't, turning the bike off and going back in to the dealership and asking...what's up with this? LCDs for trip info, gear indicator, and other stuff...including battery voltage...which I'm kinda anal about. Hard to read with sunglasses on, despite a photosensor is the instrument cluster that supposedly adjusts brightness. (Grip heater level is displayed on the LCD, and given its already hard to see with sunglasses on...I sure hope "high", if on, starts smoking my winter gloves before killing the battery!)There's a feature is the setup menu to rebaseline it...but who wants to mess with that when you be riding instead? You get a fancy torx key to undo the screw holding the rear hump on located above the rear wheel..I'm gonna have to practice finding it standing up behind the bike instead of on my back with a flashlight peering up looking for that sucker...Tool kit is reminiscent of what you'd get with a late '70s UJM, except for the spanners provided to adjust the rear suspension..and that hump key!

I didn't appreciate how well done, style wise, the rear of the bike fits in till I saw it in person. Of course, you have to ignore the GIGANTIC setup used for the tail light/turn signals/plate. My first beemer and it immediately caught my eye late last year when pics started appearing, so I agree with your comment! Oh..and from reading the manual one of the idiot lights illuminates when its time for service. Not sure if its owner defeatable..I hate things like that which require dealership intervention.

Umm...sorry you asked now? :grin:

-LeRoy
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Offline GuzziDog54

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 01:59:48 PM »

image upload

That R Nine-T is an absolute beauty! I got to ride the first one that arrived in Arizona (the original, not the racer) and fell in love with them. That racer is a true beauty!
2015 MG California 1400 Custom
1973 MG Eldorado
2004 BMW R1150R Rockster
1993 BMW R100GS
1978 BMW R100/7
1975 BMW R90

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here