Author Topic: My old life is over...  (Read 15165 times)

Joe A.

Re: My old life is over...
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2017, 08:05:52 AM »
Hey Rick, I responded to your other post. The WNY rally really is a must, great folks, location, etc. There is a Guzzi dealer in Buffalo, Kustom Workz, and he will be there again this year. He brings demos and mechanics. they are  great bunch of folks to deal with. Will be heading to WNY Friday morning. I'm leaving this Friday for the WV rally. Good luck with the new ride!

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2018, 07:08:13 AM »

So after 45 years of owning, building and riding just about everything else, I came across an '04 California EV1100 with about 15K miles, in beautiful cosmetic condition. Bought it before I rode it. After 1000 miles I believe it is the best handling large displacement bike I have ever ridden, and I love it. Then, I see all the chatter about the "hydro" issue. I'm now expecting the thing to frag on me at any instant, and the joy is rapidly dissipating. I've called a dealer and asked to run the VIN to see if the cam problem was fixed, but haven't heard back. I am getting all kinds of conflicting advice from different sources on what to do. I am not going to sink a bunch of money into this-- I only paid $2600 and don't want to double my investment. I'd rather go all in and buy another with no issues. Can anyone look at the photo and tell me if I am riding this on borrowed time? And why the gold/copper paint on the rocker? Please-- no uninformed guesses. I got those on Facebook. Many thanks.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 07:28:54 AM »
Don't worry, be happy.  :smiley: The adjusters have been snapped off, so I *assume* the work has been done. That's a lot of bike for $2600. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 07:38:45 AM »
Congrats and Welcome!  :cool: That is one beautiful, classic Guzzi!  You will enjoy it! :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 07:38:45 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »
That looks like the dull color valve spring caps(not fixed), broke off adjusters(fixed) but no lock nut. The recessed area where the adjuster locknut goes on is something I have not experienced before.  If it was my bike I'd pull it apart and check the cam, lifters, and the rest. Could be a partial kit made to work. Someone saving money on the fix, using the old parts like the spring caps & rockers. I've seen Hydro's look all different under the cover, they had 3 fixes. AND you can't go by what warranty says about it, some dealers took the money and did nothing. Some motors are supposed to be good from factory but are not.
Could be OK too, I'd run the piss out of it and keep checking the oil & filter, drop the pan and check it all out. That's where the filter is and if you look up in block it's all open.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
That looks like the dull color valve spring caps(not fixed), broke off adjusters(fixed) but no lock nut. The recessed area where the adjuster locknut goes on is something I have not experienced before.  If it was my bike I'd pull it apart and check the cam, lifters, and the rest. Could be a partial kit made to work. Someone saving money on the fix, using the old parts like the spring caps & rockers. I've seen Hydro's look all different under the cover, they had 3 fixes. AND you can't go by what warranty says about it, some dealers took the money and did nothing. Some motors are supposed to be good from factory but are not.
Could be OK too, I'd run the piss out of it and keep checking the oil & filter, drop the pan and check it all out. That's where the filter is and if you look up in block it's all open.

Burk, if you're not aware GuzziSteve had a career as a professional Guzzi (and other brand) mechanic through the hydro years. His response IS not an uninformed opinion.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! Still uncertain as to the state of the engine, I will take the suggestion to run it and look closely at the residue in the oil pan. I changed the oil after owning the bike for a day and closely inspected the sludge (yes, there was more goo in the pan than I would have liked to see) but finding nothing of concern. I also tore the old filter apart and wasn't worried by anything in the filter medium. It does appear that I have the better clutch set-up, as there is a solid area next to the ring gear about 1/2 inch thick.
I have 10 other scooters and a VW trike, and I am seriously considering unloading everything and just buying a new California. I am in love with the way my '04 rides (except for placement of the foot controls, which are the absolute worst design I have ever encountered--improved slightly by the aftermarket brake pedal I scored off CL.)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2018, 10:56:42 AM »

I have 10 other scooters and a VW trike, and I am seriously considering unloading everything and just buying a new California. I am in love with the way my '04 rides (except for placement of the foot controls, which are the absolute worst design I have ever encountered--improved slightly by the aftermarket brake pedal I scored off CL.)

The Tonti Cali 1100 is a great bike and hopefully you'll continue to enjoy the one you have.

That new Cali 1400 is also a great bike, but is related to the Tonti Cali 1100 only by name and basic architecture. For most purposes the motor, EFI system, and chassis are all new. You might love both, or not....
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
I am seriously considering unloading everything and just buying a new California. I am in love

Well, you obviously get it.  :smiley: Love is blind, they say.. and probably the reason most of us put up with some of the shortcomings of the marque. <Kreskin/1> I predict several Guzzis in your future.. <Kreskin/0>  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »
Yeah, the pic shows a 'Neither fish nor fowl' sort of setup. I'm not as familiar with hydros as Steve but to me it looks like it's an engine that has had part of the last kit put in it, not very well.

The 'Final' kit includes cross-drilled cam and new tappets, new valve springs, inner and outer, aluminium, (Shiny silver.) valve spring caps and new rockers with snap off adjusters with lock nuts.

Now in the 'Final' kit I just received for my turd the rockers are a golden colour, I don't know if that is relevant to anything or not but the rockers in the pic are not. The absence of lock nuts on the snap off adjusters is a bit concerning as well.

Thing is, while they are all going to fail unless they have the 'Final' fix some of them, especially after the very early run, do seem to last pretty well. My '03 definitely hasn't got the 'Final' kit in it but it's well over 100,000km and still isn't making any hideously distressing noises. In fact the motor is delightfully quiet! I will be fixing it before it does any more miles though. They Hydros are a lovely thing.

Pete

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »
FWIW I know little of hydro motors but had a friend with an Aluminum (hydro motor), purchased new, that had the adjusters snap off. We assumed the the shop that set it up had over tightened the lock nuts. He never had the upgrade done for as long as he owned it after replacing the adjusters.

Pete

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2018, 02:27:36 PM »

There are not adjusters with the lock nuts. (just a puddle of oil in the unadjusted rocker)
They are not the bright alloy colored spring caps.

You do not have the cam update.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:28:51 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »
FWIW I know little of hydro motors but had a friend with an Aluminum (hydro motor), purchased new, that had the adjusters snap off. We assumed the the shop that set it up had over tightened the lock nuts. He never had the upgrade done for as long as he owned it after replacing the adjusters.

If it had a snapped off adjuster, it HAD the upgrade.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

pete roper

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
There are not adjusters with the lock nuts. (just a puddle of oil in the unadjusted rocker)
They are not the bright alloy colored spring caps.

You do not have the cam update.

I can't see the pic clearly enough on my pad of eyes but I'd take Wayne's word on it.

Pete

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »
Welcome Rick in WNY!  :thumb:
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2018, 04:17:12 PM »
If it had a snapped off adjuster, it HAD the upgrade.

He bought it new. It never had the upgrade. We were 100 miles from home when the adjuster broke and left him stranded. The other rocker still had the adjuster. The broken nut was under the valve cover.

Pete

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
He bought it new. It never had the upgrade. We were 100 miles from home when the adjuster broke and left him stranded. The other rocker still had the adjuster. The broken nut was under the valve cover.

Pete

Why would a hydraulic model have an adjuster and NOT have the update? The original rockers had no adjuster. The adjustable rocker was only included with the update.
Did the update get installed before purchase?

pete roper

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
Not surprising the adjuster broke off if the top hadn't been snapped off. If they are left on they hammer on the rocker cover. Recall must of been done by a numpty.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
Maybe I am wrong. I assumed the Aluminum had a hydro motor. This one definitely had adjusters. I had to ride back, get my truck and haul the bike home.

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2018, 05:13:04 PM »
<scratching head> I thought the aluminum *was* a hydro..
the things you find..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Maybe I am wrong. I assumed the Aluminum had a hydro motor. This one definitely had adjusters. I had to ride back, get my truck and haul the bike home.

I also thought the Aluminum (and Titanium) had hydro.
If there was an adjuster, it was pre-hydro, or it had the update. Some updates were installed before they were sold.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
All the Aluminum's I seen were Hydro's, same w/Titanium's. Could be who put kit in didn't snap off adjuster or put regular adjusters in it. Easy to check, put TDC & check for play on rockers....... 
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »
I believe my '04 sat on the dealer's floor until '07. I have a service record dated '07 from the original owner showing a 600 mile service. So, either my bike had the update done before sale, or it did not. Or, as has been suggested, perhaps it was done improperly. Or not. The only thing I know for sure is that there are no cracks in the bottom triple tree, so the front end will not fold up on me as the engine grenades and sends me to the side of the road. I'm not going to think about it any further.

Disappointingly, I went through the same worry wondering if the cam chain adjusters on my '05 Roadglide were going to fail without notice, and spent $1500 on an S&S gear drive conversion. And now I'm beginning to worry that the cam chain guides in my old KZ900 are brittle with age.

Damn these cams.

I'll have to remember to keep my cell phone charged when riding.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2018, 08:03:32 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but did you ride it? Guzzi's arent for everybody...... Be wise and heed he advice in this thread, much wisdom here.

Well, it's done. My old life is over. I am officially starting over.

I bought my first Moto Guzzi.

She's a 2004 California Titanium with only 15K miles on the clock. The original owner bought it as a commuter that he could have his wife hop on the back for weekend trips. She never cared for the pillion seat, and when she got a chance to ride on a friends Goldwing... the previous owner had to go buy a Goldwing. So, this Guzzi has been sitting, waiting for some love.

And then I came along.

My wife and I went and took our MSF course last week, and the dealer that was hosting the class had my Guzzi in his showroom. I saw her from across the showroom, and walked right past several Harleys, Hondas, and a Triumph. I went right to the back of the room... that  correctly oriented V-Twin called to me.

After a few days of research, talking to the wife, and looking at my bank balance, I called the shop. Got the backstory on the Guzzi. I called them again this morning, told the shop owner it was a "Go" on my end and asked when he could have it ready. His answer was "Oh, give me 2-3 hours..." I told him I didn't need it quite that fast, so I'm going to pick up my Italian Lady on Saturday.

I'll post pics when I get her home, but this is the fullfillment of a dream I've had for... quite a while.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but did you ride it? Guzzi's arent for everybody...... Be wise and heed he advice in this thread, much wisdom here.

I think you might be lost... :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2018, 04:38:22 AM »
Beautiful bike congrats.....  Why cant I find one of these 😂

Pics of my new baby...

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:41:46 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

pete roper

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2018, 05:33:51 AM »
Bags? Hideous! Fairing? Good! And why does it have a speculum behind the riders perch?

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
Nothing wrong with a backrest.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »

Bulldog, yes, I've been riding it. Put just under 6K miles on her this summer.

Let's say I am well and truly in love my with Guzzi. I am incurable... and I'm okay with that.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here