Author Topic: High Cost of Ducati Service  (Read 16535 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: High Cost of Ducati Service
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »

Not so much air as the slow seepage of fluid retracts the caliper piston and makes for excessive travel... Do you see or hear the air when you bleed it?

It wasn't just an issue of travel, it wouldn't pump up to a firm lever. Yes we got a good bit of air out of the caliper when we bled it. Refilled the reservoir 3-4 times in the process.

As I said, it is a thing.  No logical explanation.  It just happens, "mysteriously"!!!

Cheers, Tim

Oh I believe you and it makes me feel better to know that. But I'm still curious how/why.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
I found on my 996 that tightening the rear caliper bleed nipple slightly tighter correlated to the issue going away.  Whether that was the cause or if was unrelated I don't know, but the rear brake previously needed to be bled after a period of storage, now it does not.
Noted.I definitely snugged it.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
There's a feeling there that Ducati is worse than other brands.  From the Yamaha FZ-09 board:

I just had my 2015 FJR done at the shop. 16 valves, one changed so cams had to come off, replaced coolant, re balanced the 4 throttle bodies, lots of plastic . Total cost was $612. That is the 26,625 mile maintenance interval.  The FJ09 has the same valve check interval and they told me it would be a bit less.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »
  Then you have air in the system, it's that simple...
But how did it get in?

In our case the system was sealed for 5 years, than last year completely flushed, refilled, and pads replaced.

The bike was ridden maybe only a thousand or so miles, including 50 or so on the track.

The brakes operated fine all season.

Then it was stored by first snow/salt and not taken out of the attached/insulated/partially climate controlled garage until spring where the pedal was immediately found mushy for the first time since the bike had been ridden/stored/removed from storage in the 6 years since we bought it new.

There was absolutely no sign of fluid leaking.

The only other clue and maybe this has something to do with it. The bladder in the reservoir was a bit extended, but I don't remember if that was only after we started bleeding it before topping it up the first time or if it was already extended last season. Still that shouldn't have been since it was flushed and filled and no m there were no leaks.

I dunno, I'm not going to worry about it particularly, I'm just curious.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 04:18:14 PM »
My Multistrada 620 was $600 US  every service interval, which included timing belts. .. Was a great bike.
Cheers,  Tim

I had one, and it definitely was fun to ride. Downsides = taking off lots of plastic to do anything mechanical and most ridiculously just to remove the seat (the "patch" was to velcro it on!). I only did it once, but it took more than a few hours to set the valves, and you had to worry about dropping a valve into the head (one way to prevent this was to stuff rope or something similar into the cylinder). Timing belts weren't too bad, but that was over $100 for parts. The "killer" for me was the swelling of the tank, which really wasn't Ducati's fault or the Acerbis (?) as they weren't building the tanks to handle the ethanol.

Rich A

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
But how did it get in?

In our case the system was sealed for 5 years, than last year completely flushed, refilled, and pads replaced.

The bike was ridden maybe only a thousand or so miles, including 50 or so on the track.

The brakes operated fine all season.

Then it was stored by first snow/salt and not taken out of the attached/insulated/partially climate controlled garage until spring where the pedal was immediately found mushy for the first time since the bike had been ridden/stored/removed from storage in the 6 years since we bought it new.

There was absolutely no sign of fluid leaking.

The only other clue and maybe this has something to do with it. The bladder in the reservoir was a bit extended, but I don't remember if that was only after we started bleeding it before topping it up the first time or if it was already extended last season. Still that shouldn't have been since it was flushed and filled and no m there were no leaks.

I dunno, I'm not going to worry about it particularly, I'm just curious.

The air is in the moisture that's always in brake fluid despite a sealed system...Or the air passes through hoses without fluid seeping out...There is no other explanation ?

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
I had one for 15 years or so.. it was the best sounding motorcycle I've ever had with those Contis. Problem was, I was afraid to ride it any farther than I was willing to walk.  :wink:

My Darmah needed rod bearings at around 40,000 miles.  I overhauled the crank and engine myself and rode it a bit more before selling it.   I found the Darmah to be a pretty well engineered device with that exception and certainly no problem to service.  The 2V Ducatis only got better/easier to service after that and early-mid 1990s Monsters sold in large volume to commuters.  They are practical in that role, with straightforward service.  I was paying $150-200 max for a desmo valve adjust and carb synch in that era.  Then in the late 90s when IMHO most of the bikes from most of the manufacturers started becoming what Fabio Taglioni (Ducati designer) had earlier termed "two wheeled cars".  Too bad, but its hardly restricted to Ducatis.

There are some exceptions (small block Guzzis and the SV650 Suzuki come to mind) but 21st complexity has not made motorcycles better for the owner in my mind, regardless of manufacturer.  What it has done is increase service cost and complexity to maintain dealer revenue, in spite of lower volume sales.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:09:48 PM by Tusayan »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
  The air is in the moisture that's always in brake fluid despite a sealed system...Or the air passes through hoses without fluid seeping out...There is no other explanation ?
Decades of riding and wrenching and this has never happened to another brake system of mine.

Heck, it didn't happen to the front of the same bike.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
Does the brake fluid give off a gas that accumulates over an extended period and congregates in the top of the caliper? Maybe it's not actually "air" in the system, or the water vapour in the fluid, is gassing off and accumulating ? Got me rooted.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
Does the brake fluid give off a gas that accumulates over an extended period and congregates in the top of the caliper? Maybe it's not actually "air" in the system, or the water vapour in the fluid, is gassing off and accumulating ? Got me rooted.

Brake fluid does not give off gas.

But however once you reach its boiling point by braking too hard too fast & cause the brake fluid to boil up, condensation will form once it cools down. rarely but does happen O2 forms instead of H2O...

At least that is what my tech tells me LOL...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »
Brake fluid does not give off gas.

But however once you reach its boiling point by braking too hard too fast & cause the brake fluid to boil up, condensation will form once it cools down. rarely but does happen O2 forms instead of H2O...

At least that is what my tech tells me LOL...
Sounds fair Timmy

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
Rear brake on the Ducati is barely used and never gets anywhere near hot.  Even when working properly it is somewhat anemic.  Never near hot enough to boil fluid.

Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here