Author Topic: I'm trying to simplify and want to thank you all  (Read 13306 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: I'm trying to simplify and want to thank you all
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
I certainly wouldn't hand my crankshaft over to a machinist and say "I want this ground .010 undersized.   And let me tell you how I want to do it; plus, I know about setting these things up so I'm going to watch and make sure you do it OK - I saw it on the Internet!"

I've had a couple crankshafts reground.  I do research ahead of time, and make measurements with my 2"-3" micrometer so I know how much needs to be removed.  Then I go to the machinist with the crank and explain what I'd like him to do, letting him know that if he sees a flaw in my plan that I'd like him to tell me.  Then when I get the crank back, I use plastigage to check the bearing clearances before closing up the engine.  To put it back together and install in in the vehicle without checking the clearances would be grossly negligent in my opinion.

But I don't see much parallel to my relationship with my doctor(s) because I'm not trained in doctorin' like I'm trained in machining.  I do believe that doing some reading about the relevant medical subjects allows me to ask intelligent questions and helps me make informed decisions about my health though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:58:13 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
When I first took the 1000SP to LA.. without a GPS, I'd still be like the man called Charlie that rode the MTA.  :smiley:

Kingston Trio?

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
At my shop there's a big sign above the door:

SHOP RATES:

$60.00 per hour
$80.00 per hour if you watch
$100.00 per hour if you help

I certainly wouldn't hand my crankshaft over to a machinist and say "I want this ground .010 undersized.   And let me tell you how I want to do it; plus, I know about setting these things up so I'm going to watch and make sure you do it OK - I saw it on the Internet!"

I can stay perfectly well up to date on my health without the Internet.

And I could never get into a "Google" car.   If Google has been monitoring my posts on various sites over the years, they'd drive my car straight off a cliff ....  :evil:

Lannis

That's the same sign I had over my shop door.  And you know what?  There are a FEW customers who do insist on directing my work -- where and how to work on the problem that THEY decided it was, and even which tools to use  :angry: , on account of they got some time in at the service department of the local Sears and Roebucks, pulling minimum wage to plug new circuit boards into big screens, per workorder. 

After listening to a guy describe his problem and spending about 90sec troubleshooting, I told him what was wrong.  He FORBADE me to go straight to it, because he'd just fixed that, and his work was beyond inspection.   :coffee:  I had to do the entire troubleshooting tree over two days with him panting  in my ear, and PROVE the problem could be nothing else, before I was allowed to do the 15-minute fix.  He only wanted to pay the 15 minutes, and called me a liar when I told him that the problem was his sloppy work -- even though he was there beside me when I fixed it.  I charged the two days at the "whiner rate". 

They giggle and joke about the three shop rates coming in, but when the time runs long because of their interference, they whine and moan that the $100/hr on the sign was dead serious.   If you want to obstruct my work and tell me what not to do, then yes, you need to pay for the wasted time. 

I feel better now, thanks.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
  To put it back together and install in in the vehicle without checking the clearances would be grossly negligent in my opinion.

Well, that's good, but if I pay an expert machinist, who is ALWAYS going to be someone that has been recommended to me and that I've met and evaluated personally, and I get him to machine something to some ten-thousandths of an inch ...

... why, after paying all that money, would I go trying to check behind him with my non-professional tools and gauges to "see if he did it right"?   I might as well take my new Subaru to pieces and gauge the crank journals to see if THEY did it right.

Oh well, these analogies are starting to fall apart anyhow ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
Kingston Trio?

Yep..  :smiley: and probably before them. But it is true. The *first* time you are on the LA interstate system and try to go to an address.. much less just get off at the correct exit is more than daunting trying to do it with a map.
You have to know where you are going and be in the proper lane well before getting off.
Or die.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »

There's the misinterpretation right here...

I'm just giving counterexamples to the "There Was No Life Fit To Live Before Smart Phones" vibe that people seem to be on...   

Lannis

More accurately the tenor has been...

Recognize the good & bad - the good is too important to throw out with the bad.

I think it's unanimous that, as ITSEC said, tech is a double edged sword. Until AI comes of age & kills off mankind we'd all do good make it work for us. Have a nice day.   :grin:
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
There's the misinterpretation right here...

More accurately the tenor has been... "Recognize the good & bad - the good is too important to throw out with the bad."

I think it's unanimous that, as ITSEC said, tech is a double edged sword. Until AI comes of age & kills off mankind we'd all do good make it work for us. Have a nice day.   :grin:

And in a lot of areas, I guess I disagree that the "good" is so good that it shouldn't go away with the "bad".   

And AI is only going to kill those who enslave themselves to it ... assuming it ever happens.   Been predicted for a long time - SKYnet went live 18 years ago, for heavens sake ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2017, 06:37:25 AM »
First, I embraced this technology from the beginning.  I like it and use it a LOT.  I wish it had come sooner, would have made my research years SOOO much easier.

I love my phone and computer.  I have to say that I enjoy the ability to be able to look up just about anything when I want to.  Yep, even in the middle of a conversation.

Yes, it puts a stop to those arguments about whether a 1957 Chevy came with a 4 barrel from the factory.  Instead of the back and forth, ending in some sort of wager or anger, the answer is right there.  Or the wife can look at something on a shelf and say, 'I wonder if they make it in red'.  Yep, 20sec later we know.

When my father-in-law was diagnosed with AML we could find out exactly what it was, courses of treatment and possible outcomes.  Better to plan the action of the family for the next months.  I can still recall when the doc thought I had melanoma.  Took me many evenings at several university libraries to find medical journals on the disease and how it was treated.  And most were old and out of date.  These days you can get current information with much less work.

Facebook.  Yep, when the kids first moved away it was great.  We could see what they were doing on a regular basis.  They (and we) eventually dropped it and text/email/call on a regular basis.

Email/text.  Probably the best thing yet for me (no, not while driving).  Saved me numerous business trips.  Same with video conferencing.  Also allows me to send information to many people at once, instead of trying to connect with each by phone over the course of a few days.

I do see how it can become addicting.  Like television or reading, it can take over your life if you let it.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2017, 07:47:40 AM »

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

elvisboy77

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2017, 10:28:27 AM »
Best wishes to you.  Enjoy the quiet.  The online world today (WG excluded) is full of hatred, lies and stupidity.......so it is a handy reflection of the physical world.  If you look, you can also find love, truth and intelligence- sometimes my eyes get tired and my battery runs out looking for it, especially lately.

Cheers.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »
I wonder how long this thread go on after Muley has gone to the dark side? Glad I could share my pork butt and kraut recipe with you Muley!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »
I wonder how long this thread go on after Muley has gone to the dark side? Glad I could share my pork butt and kraut recipe with you Muley!
He told me to delete the thread tomorrow, during the eclipse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
He told me to delete the thread tomorrow, during the eclipse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

:laugh: :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here