Author Topic: Darn,!Forgot to turn off petcock, cylinder flooded/hydrolocked.  (Read 8907 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Darn,!Forgot to turn off petcock, cylinder flooded/hydrolocked.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
Someone might not understand that it refers to the fuel system.

Yeah, Its funny how some people that are not moto savvy react to the word "Petcock" especially kids. I remember telling my wife after parking at an event " dont forget to flip your petcock" a couple of kids overheard, and cracked up! A bit later, I heard them calling each other a "petcock" !  Kids are funny as heck sometimes!   :grin:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »
Something like this is what I have in mind. I guess scooters use these too. I think as long as it allows enough fuel to flow. I can put a "T" between the 2 petcocks run a line from the T to the shutoff valve then another T to run a length of hose to each carb.  I can still use my left petcock as a "reserve" like I currently do, and the plumbing would be no more complicated than the X I currently have.
Rick

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Operated-Mini-3-Way-Fuel-Valve-Petcock-For-Gy6-Based-Scooters-50cc-260cc-/162293607316

Offline Pmyers

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
Could you adapt a electric petcock from a convert or G5 to fit ??
 Harper has them
76 convert
98 dr350se

09 r1200gs
11 r1200gs

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »
Someone might not understand that it refers to the fuel system.
Refer post #24

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
Could you adapt a electric petcock from a convert or G5 to fit ??
 Harper has them

There was an adapter available that would facilitate this (the Eldo has an M12 internally threaded bung, Tonti tanks an M16? externally threaded bung), but if the one from a Convert was used, it could interfere with the carburetor or something else. The manual petcocks are pretty close to a lot of stuff even.
Charlie

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
Lots of bikes especially Japnese inline fours have used vacuum operated petcocks. They are not reliable. The vacuum operated diaphragm cracks and then the fuel doesnt shut off. You dont know it until you hit the starter button and the engine hydrolocks.
Be a proper frugal Guzzi rider. Go to the hardware/lawnmower shop and get a $5 Briggs & Stratton fuel shutoff valve. Works a charm.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
all this talk about vacuum, electric petcocks, fix the cause of the problem, the needle valve/seat or leaking float.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
all this talk about vacuum, electric petcocks, fix the cause of the problem, the needle valve/seat or leaking float.

The reason it's gone on like this is the seats in those carbs aren't replaceable. Just guys offering work arounds.. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
The reason it's gone on like this is the seats in those carbs aren't replaceable. Just guys offering work arounds.. <shrug>
a couple people suggested valve grinding compound, using the old needle. worth the effort, nothing to loose

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »
Lots of bikes especially Japnese inline fours have used vacuum operated petcocks. They are not reliable. The vacuum operated diaphragm cracks and then the fuel doesnt shut off. You dont know it until you hit the starter button and the engine hydrolocks.
Be a proper frugal Guzzi rider. Go to the hardware/lawnmower shop and get a $5 Briggs & Stratton fuel shutoff valve. Works a charm.
most of the vacuum operated petcocks, i have seen , I think if the diaphragm fails it wont flow fuel, as the diaphragm has to pull against the force of a spring , that shuts off the valve when vacuum is absent. The one on my Goldwing, and my wifes magna have been totally reliable for many years, its well known in the old goldwing community that if that diaphragm  starts to go tits up, the symptom is fuel starvation.  the way my CRS has been lately.....I think I would have to buy 2 briggs and stratton fuel valves, one for the loop, and the second to hang around my neck on a string to remind me to turn off the first one!  :grin: :lipsrsealed:
Rick.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
you're not concerned excessive fuel won't pass by when running?

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »
you're not concerned excessive fuel won't pass by when running?

Yogidozer,I think you mean if it wont flow sufficient fuel to keep the float bowls full when running WOT.?.. I dont know, thats an interesting possibility ,so I will experiment with it soon, I ordered one of the 3 way vacuum operated fuel valves on ebay, and plan to give my idea a try, with this 3 way fuel valve. I plan to go from both petcocks to a T then a length of hose to the 3 way valve inlet, then two hoses out from the valve's 2 exits to each carb. This way, I can use my sugar cube petcocks the usual way, with the left one being"reserve" etc. but if I ever  forget to turn off my petcocks, I should not have a flooded mess a couple of days later if the needle valve fails to seal. I will let you all know how it turns out.
Rick.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 03:54:03 PM »
Yogidozer,I think you mean if it wont flow sufficient fuel to keep the float bowls full when running WOT.?.. I dont know, thats an interesting possibility ,so I will experiment with it soon, I ordered one of the 3 way vacuum operated fuel valves on ebay, and plan to give my idea a try, with this 3 way fuel valve. I plan to go from both petcocks to a T then a length of hose to the 3 way valve inlet, then two hoses out from the valve's 2 exits to each carb. This way, I can use my sugar cube petcocks the usual way, with the left one being"reserve" etc. but if I ever  forget to turn off my petcocks, I should not have a flooded mess a couple of days later if the needle valve fails to seal. I will let you all know how it turns out.
Rick.
no, I meant if the needle valve/seat is not stopping the gas (your flooding/dripping out of the corner of the stock air filter box) the situation will only get worse, not better.
Did you try the valve compound? In the meanwhile, check around, maybe you will see a replacement carb. somewhere

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
A follow up, Folks. I took the offending carb completely apart, and it was very clean inside, the seat to the needle valve does not appear to be removable, its made of brass, but looks to be pressed in. the condition of the surface the rubber needle tip seals against looked smooth and perfect, as far as I could see with a magnifier. the dark brown floats look perfect, no gas inside. I put the floats in the refrigerator, then submerged them in a cup of hot water...no bubbles . I applied a dab of valve grinding compound to the old needle tip, as suggested,and carefully resurfaced the mating seat by hand, just to get it super smooth. I re assembled the carb with all new gaskets,and o rings.  I will keep my fingers crossed, and try to remember to turn off the gas. :grin:
Thanks to all for the help,
Rick,

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here