Author Topic: V7 - Long distance touring?  (Read 20952 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
V7 - Long distance touring?
« on: September 02, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
I'm likely in the market for a new (to me) bike since mine is gone.  Which has gotten me thinking about what I want out of a bike yada yada.

The question I have for the forum is whether folks have done touring (week/multi week) trips on their V7, if they'd do it again, and what changes (if any) they made to make it comfortable.  I guess also whether it included freeway time or whether it was the smaller roads.

I love my V7 but my trips were all of the day-trip variety on it and most of that was the smaller back roads.  I'm not sure it would have been comfortable on a big tour.  But it was also mostly stock.  And I may be a wimp. ;)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Re: V7 - Long distance touring?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
Looks like Peter did a nice review on his experience earlier this year.  Including a link.
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=90981.0

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
And a touring related thread which is more general in nature but still addresses my questions
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=87494.0

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »
I think the rider's physical size plays a role in this.  I have tried all of the V7,V9 varieties and, at 5'10" height and 200# in my riding gear, I find them too small for me and my normal camping gear. 

I normally carry my rear cases with clothing and etc that go into the tent with me.  The rear top case has cooking gear and other items I want immediate access to while on the road.  My camping gear -- tent, sleeping gear and camp stool -- go on the passenger's seat behind me.

My previous bike ('12 Stelvio) and my current bike ('07 R1200R) both handle my carrying needs very well.  The smaller Guzzi models, not so well, and I don't want to uncomfortable on a long distance touring bike.

My $0.02

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
I'm not an iron-butt kinda' guy, but I did do a number of 500-600 mile days on a 2010 V7 on a variety of highways and back roads. The bike was comfortable on the interstate at 65-75 mph, and a joy on winding country lanes.

The only drawback for me was that the light weight occasionally allowed winds gusts from the side to push me off my line and I felt the blowback when passing trucks. Not drastic or dangerous, but it was noticeable and kept me on my toes.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »
ChuckH makes a good point, the V7 is (IMHO) a bit small if you are going to carry camping/cooking stuff.  Long distance touring is not a problem with the V7 if you get away from having to carry all that extra stuff.  With that said, I plan to take my V7 camping soon but I'm only going about 150 miles.  Since that trip will be to a rally I won't do any cooking and I plan to take a hammock rather than a tent.  BTW, I'm 5'11" and 195#.

As an aside, I rode my 250cc bike to WV recently and met up with guys on similar bikes.  Two of those guys camped and they had to ride 350-400 miles to get to WV.  I mention this because they were on much smaller bikes than a V7 and had absolutely no complaints.  It's all a matter of what you consider fun and where it becomes a PITA.
More details on this thread:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/csc-250cc-rx-3-cyclone.1007040/page-246

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »
Thanks guys.  Wittangamo:  was that stock?

I LOVED my V7 for the backroads.  A sheer joy down the dapple-covered byways or its brethren.  For that reason alone I may replace it with the same.  Loved the seating position, the sound, the feel.  A great visceral experience.  These rides tend to be a 2-4 hours total.  But the rides hint at things I'm not sure I'd be happy with on a longer trip.  Hence the questions.

What things?  For me: 
The seat.  The bum goest first.  I did get an air hawk and it helps. 
I find myself sitting forward on the seat so my knees end up almost touching the cylinders (about a fingers width away).  I like that position from a bike-feel perspective.  At the end of 3 or 4 hours my knees disagree. I can sit back but I think I'd like different bars or risers at that point to bring the bars back.  I like the upright riding position.
I'm not sure about freeways at distance: pretty buffetty in the bits I've done.  I prefer to avoid them but they look useful at times with the trip I'm looking at (Washington to Florida and back:  upper states one way, lower route the other).  The buffetting may be a suck-it-up thing.  No bike is perfect. 
After my almost-overheating experience (my own fault), I wonder if water cooled would be better than air cooled.  That's likely personal paranoia which I'm willing to discount. 
I would like better shocks and suspect it would become more important on a long trip.

I like the weight of the V7.  I'm sure I can fit what I need on it, I'd probably go the motel route.  I love the sound of the bike.  I love the character of the bike.  It makes me smile.

I've toyed with the idea of just renting something for the long trip but it's $$$ and I'd prefer riding something I'm really familiar with.  My plan is to start out with some weekend trips, make sure I'm really enjoying it, sort things out, and hopefully take a big trip next Fall.

I am test riding some non guzzi bikes but since this is a guzzi forum and there's a lot I loved about my V7, I'm asking questions about the v7 and touring.

(to give an idea of what I'm valuing:  I'm also planning on test riding Suzuki wee stroms, Bmw f700gs and Bmw f800gt.
I've test ridden a Bonnie in the past and liked the Guzzi better.)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
I've ridden the AeroLario 375 miles one way to a rally. HB bags and rack. Clothes, tools, "stuff" in the bags, tent, thermorest, sleeping bag, Kermit chair on the rack. Magnetic tank bag for stuff I need to get to on the road/maps.
Doable, but the Norge was a better mile eater, as was every other big block I've had. Of course, I'm Italian sized, 5'8" and if you are much bigger than me, it might not be doable.
So.
Yes, you can do it, but it's not the best tool for the job, IMHO.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »
Thanks Peter and Chuck for the personal experiences and things to think about.  And the link. 
Peter, really enjoyed reading your trip report on the Canada trip.

I'm about 5'8 and 180#.  I can flat foot something like the wee strom (820 cm?  Something like that) so bike height isn't a terrible concern but leg comfort is.  I prefer lighter bikes for day to day riding.  It's been useful to read that weight can be helpful at times.

I really do like the V7 for day-to-day riding, hence my questions.  I can really only ju$tify one bike in the garage.

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
I have often done 400 mile days on my 2004 Breva 750. 

Two HB soft saddle bags and a soft duffel case thrown across them carry all the gear & clothing I've ever needed, including a CPAP machine (but I stay in motels).

The little Breva has never lacked for comfort (I am 5'8" 175 pounds wet), performance, or reliability (current odo reading is 52,000+ miles). 

In 5 days I'll be riding it to the 2017 Ouray Western Adventure:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=89216.120

OK, so I'm an iron-arse fool but I've even done a 2300 mile trip on a 400cc scooter (but that's a whole 'nother story).

'Geezer
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
but the Norge was a better mile eater, as was every other big block I've had. Of course, I'm Italian sized, 5'8" and if you are much bigger than me, it might not be doable.
So.
Yes, you can do it, but it's not the best tool for the job, IMHO.

Thanks Chuck.  On a number of threads I've been reading through that's definitely come up. 
I should probably expand my test rides to include some bigger bikes.  See if I think I'd like them on a day to day basis.  I know it's all trade offs and I'll have to figure out which ones work for me.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »
There really isn't an answer, just comments for you to consider, so here's some.

It depends on what you are actually DOING.   Here's the way I look at it, from the top down.

Am I looking for a comfortable tool to tour the country by road?   Then possibly some sort of automobile, with a heater, roof, comfy seat, stable four wheels, and sound system would be best.

Am I looking for a comfortable tool to tour the country by motorcycle?   Then it may be that a Yamaha Venture, or Harley Road King, or Honda ST1300, or BMW GS, or other motorcycle that has proved its reliability and roadability in events like the Iron Butt Rally would be the best.

Am I looking for a comfortable tool to tour the country by Moto Guzzi motorcycle?   Very likely then that a Norge or Stelvio or California would be the best.

Am I looking for a LIGHTER, easier to handle tool to tour the country by Moto Guzzi motorcycle?   Then a V7 would seem to be ideal.

Am I looking for an ANTIQUE, basic motorcycle to tour the country, which may be a mechanical challenge but eminently do-able, and will be a magnet for interacting with people on the way?   Then a BSA 650 A10 would be an excellent choice.

Finally, I might be looking to tour the country on a motorcycle that will make people look and say "That there man is CRAZY!"   In this case, a V7 would be an overdone, luxurious, heavy bike, and a Simplex, or VeloSolex, or a BSA Beagle, or a 1918 Indian Powerplus would be just the thing.

So saying that a V7 is "too light" or "too small" or "not ideal" or "a compromise" may be correct or incorrect, depending on what it is you really want to do ....

Based on your final comment about "one bike", I'd say the answer is that the V7 is 10 times as competent a tourer as the bikes I used to tour on, that it will take you coast to coast on any US highway with zero trouble, and is eminently suited to your one-bike needs ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
I have often done 400 mile days on my 2004 Breva 750. 

OK, so I'm an iron-arse fool but I've even done a 2300 mile trip on a 400cc scooter (but that's a whole 'nother story).

'Geezer
:grin:  Do tell!

Have you ridden the V7?  Wondering about a comfort comparison.  I'd been interested in the Breva 750 when I was originally looking for a bike 3 or 4 years ago but couldn't find one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:17:57 AM by Rhodan »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
Finally, I might be looking to tour the country on a motorcycle that will make people look and say "That there man is CRAZY!"   In this case, a V7 would be an overdone, luxurious, heavy bike, and a Simplex, or VeloSolex, or a BSA Beagle, or a 1918 Indian Powerplus would be just the thing.

Based on your final comment about "one bike", I'd say the answer is that the V7 is 10 times as competent a tourer as the bikes I used to tour on, that it will take you coast to coast on any US highway with zero trouble, and is eminently suited to your one-bike needs ...

Lannis
:grin: Who knows...I may end up going the crazy route.  But thanks for the dose of common sense.  I'll freely admit this is a nice "problem" to have.  Someone at work has a friend who just bicycled across the US.   Compared to what that took, any of these options are the lap of luxury.

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »
My V7 II rear suspension is a bit stiff, but not an issue.
With the stock seat, I have done 460 mile days.
Not as comfortable as my Bonneville with a touring seat, but 1,000% more comfortable than the Bonneville stock seat.
Not as comfortable as my first Sportster with a Sundowner seat, but 1,000% more comfortable than the stock solo seat.

Both the first Sportster and Bonneville were good for only about 50 miles on the stock seat, without pain.

If I were going to do 500 mile days in succession on my V7 II,  I would opt for a Corbin seat.

85 MPH is a comfortable cruise.

23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »
Sportster, what's the windscreen on your Vii?  Happy with it?

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »
Sportster, what's the windscreen on your Vii?  Happy with it?

Dart Marlin MG22D from the UK.   Price of $144.95 included shipping from UK to Nevada
Dart Flyscreens
Unit 10, Blackheath Business Centre, Blackheath Hill / London, SE10 8BA / United Kingdom
www.dartflyscreens. co.uk
It takes the wind off my chest and keeps bugs off all but the shoulders of my jacket.

23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
Thanks guys.  Wittangamo:  was that stock?

Mine was a 2010 V7 Cafe Classic, forerunner of the Racer. Upswept pipes, clip-ons and a solo seat. With a Dart flyscreen to take some of the wind off, the slightly forward lean was comfy at highway speeds. It had a well-padded solo seat, and a pair of soft bags with a duffel strapped on top held all I needed for a camping weekend.

When I got the yen for something bigger, I swapped for a Griso. Tons of power and surprisingly capable as a tourer, but the saddle height and weight were a lot to wrestle around a parking lot or garage. After five years and 23k miles, I was ready to downsize.

Enter the V9 Roamer. At 5'9", the ergos are perfect for me. Upright riding position, power and performance a step above the V7, but the size and weight are not much different. The seat is firm, but not uncomfortable (a new more padded dual saddle is supposed to start shipping with newer bikes.)

Might want to check one out while you're shopping around. I haven't toured on it yet, but I've broken it in on back roads with a few interstate miles thrown in and it seems to want to live up to its name.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:15:10 PM by wittangamo »
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »

I'm about 5'8 and 180#.  I can flat foot something like the wee strom (820 cm?  Something like that) so bike height isn't a terrible concern but leg comfort is.  I prefer lighter bikes for day to day riding.  It's been useful to read that weight can be helpful at times....

The bike I had before the '12 Stelvio was an '09 Wee Strom set up for touring and camping.  It was an excellent bike and, interestingly enough, it was the same size as the Stelvio -- ie; same WB and tire sizes front and rear.  The only reason for the change was to get to a Guzzi (long time wish) and get away from a chain.

The Wee was light enough to be comfortable in city riding but large enough to be able to easily handle my touring/camping needs.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
The V7 is quite competent. My cousin & I rode around Australia on my two V7s last year. 30,000 km & 105 days. Both performed marvellously. Both the V7 Classic & the Special have rear sets, drop bars & the solo seat. Comfortable for me, but perhaps my cousin (shorter, heavier & wider) should have opted for the standard footpegs & bars - I think he would have been more comfortable on a Breva 750. Soft luggage - tankbag, Ortlieb waterproof saddlebags, Andy Strapz A bag on the rear of the seat, and Ortlieb rack pack with wok on the rear rack of the Classic. On the Special was a Bagster tank bra & bag,  the Wolfman Beta on the rear of the seat & an Ortlieb rack pack on the rack. Andy Strapz piggyback strapz holding the stuff on the racks.

We carried about 30 - 40kg each, including camping & cooking gear, tools, spares, electronics, coffee pot & grinder, a kilo of beans, and one wok and clothing for all weathers. We ended up camping half the time (both have hammocks - Warbonnet Blackbirds) - hotel/motel a quarter of the time & friends the other quarter.

The only thing I'd change was the tank on the Classic - it now has a 21L steel tank & a 450km range, like the Special. We both had a flat rear tyre on the trip, both had new rear tyres en route, several services, (carried spare filters, tubes, & a little oil (500ml) & lube for the sidestand. There may have been more, but the only real mechanical problem was a collapsed wheel bearing on the Special - and 80km truck ride (subscription service) & $27 for new SKF bearings & right to go.

Would I do it again? Definitely. I'd say the V7 is perfect for it - shines in the hills & twists, handles the towns, cities & gravel roads, easy on the long straights & light enough to not be a problem almost anywhere. We found that when you have no schedule to keep, there is no rush & it's easy to enjoy it more.

I had done the trip before - shorter & faster - on the 1000 V-Twin Enfield, (also a easy tourer), but this time I knew the way & we had more time to smell as many roses as we could. So we did so.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline timax

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »
The V7 is quite competent. My cousin & I rode around Australia on my two V7s last year. 30,000 km & 105 days. Both performed marvellously. Both the V7 Classic & the Special have rear sets, drop bars & the solo seat. Comfortable for me, but perhaps my cousin (shorter, heavier & wider) should have opted for the standard footpegs & bars - I think he would have been more comfortable on a Breva 750. Soft luggage - tankbag, Ortlieb waterproof saddlebags, Andy Strapz A bag on the rear of the seat, and Ortlieb rack pack with wok on the rear rack of the Classic. On the Special was a Bagster tank bra & bag,  the Wolfman Beta on the rear of the seat & an Ortlieb rack pack on the rack. Andy Strapz piggyback strapz holding the stuff on the racks.

We carried about 30 - 40kg each, including camping & cooking gear, tools, spares, electronics, coffee pot & grinder, a kilo of beans, and one wok and clothing for all weathers. We ended up camping half the time (both have hammocks - Warbonnet Blackbirds) - hotel/motel a quarter of the time & friends the other quarter.

The only thing I'd change was the tank on the Classic - it now has a 21L steel tank & a 450km range, like the Special. We both had a flat rear tyre on the trip, both had new rear tyres en route, several services, (carried spare filters, tubes, & a little oil (500ml) & lube for the sidestand. There may have been more, but the only real mechanical problem was a collapsed wheel bearing on the Special - and 80km truck ride (subscription service) & $27 for new SKF bearings & right to go.

Would I do it again? Definitely. I'd say the V7 is perfect for it - shines in the hills & twists, handles the towns, cities & gravel roads, easy on the long straights & light enough to not be a problem almost anywhere. We found that when you have no schedule to keep, there is no rush & it's easy to enjoy it more.

I had done the trip before - shorter & faster - on the 1000 V-Twin Enfield, (also a easy tourer), but this time I knew the way & we had more time to smell as many roses as we could. So we did so.
Interested to see some more pics of your bikes setup. Do you have a ride report or blog anywhere?
Im in the process now of getting my V7 ready for 2 weeks riding north of Sydney with my wife on the back.I have the slim Ortleib speedbags from my old bike but they are too long for the Guzzi. Just trying to work of what soft bags and rack will work well for us.  Cheers Tim
Only a lame , underpowered piece of shit V7ll with a fake scrambler makeover  not really worthy of a Guzzi badge but its mine and i love it!

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 05:04:34 PM »
If you take enough breaks, then almost anything will suit.  With that said, my touring bikes have been BMW r100rs, r1100rs, r1150rt, k1200rs, Harley Wide Glide (short 350 - 400 mile tours), Victory Kingpin Tour Deluxe, my recently acquired Cali Custom 1400.  I like a little weight under me and some wheelbase.  It just feels more relaxed. YMMV however.
Blue Guzz

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
I just returned home from a 2500 buy/fly/ride on a new V7 III Special. I'm amazed at how well it tours on the back roads and the interstate at 80 mph( GPS)on the flat roads and up and down the appalachans. Ergos were good for me the the seat was very comfy for my 190 lbs-5'11-32 inseam old body. It has heated grips, a Dart Manta screen, H-B 30 l. panniers, and a Minstrals exhaust can. Nope, I don't camp. My only disappointment is there was not enough juice to run my heated jacket liner and the heated grips and I ran battery down..... uggg. Avgerage mpg/tank ranged from 54-62.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:36:35 PM by roadscum »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »
I just returned home from a 2500 buy/fly/ride on a new V7 III Special. I'm amazed at how well it tours on the back roads and the interstate at 80 mph( GPS)on the flat roads and up and down the appalachans. Ergos were good for me the the seat was very comfy for my 190 lbs-5'11-32 inseam old body. It has heated grips, a Dart Manta screen, H-B 30 l. panniers, and a Minstrals exhaust can. Nope, I don't camp. My only disappointment is there was not enough juice to run my heated jacket liner and the heated grips and I ran battery down..... uggg. Avgerage mpg/tank ranged from 54-62.

Paul

What is the amperage on the liner and grips?

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »

Great synopsis!

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »
Beaver rode to the national in Canada and to the National at John Day, OR on her V-7 from Lindale, TX. So yes, I'd say youcan tour on a V-7.

OTOH I've seen big bikes pulling a trailer on a local run.

Tex

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »
Get another V7.  Most of your daily riding will be covered with that bike.  It's more than capable for touring.  The only caveat is how much stuff you want to take with you.  A passenger, full camping gear or 90mph burns down the interstate then it may a little small. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 07:09:30 PM »
Im 6ft and made several 500 mile trips Pensacola, FL to Deals Gap and to Road Atlanta (the long way around, avoiding Atlanta) with my camping gear and  '15 V7 Stone.  Found I could pack more efficiently with out the tail box but I dont have photos of that.  Fairing is after market and works on my Gt500 as well.

No luggage rack yet

Luggage rack and tail box.  I dont use the box anymore, has more seat room but not photos.

Suzuki GT500 Mid Ohio (850 miles one day nonstop)(Iron butt 1500 mile/24hrs, 2000mile/36hrs)

The V7 isnt the most comfortable bike I have but it's good enough.  Maybe not for a 5000mile Dead Horse, Alaska run?  mostly cause its a pain to swap the rear tire?? 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:15:26 PM by Dofin »
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 07:37:56 PM »
I think, as many have commented, if there's a downside to V7 touring, it would the overall size of the bike, vs engine output.  I'm a bit out of place commenting, since I've not owned a V7. And there's lots of folks in this thread that have done some real touring on their V7s.  The following are just my thoughts based on the bikes I've owned.

My old 1991 BMW R100GS is a relatively large frame bike, with more than adequate seat to foot peg dimensions.  A fuel capacity good for (usually) 175 miles prior to reserve, and very long travel, compliant suspension.

The engine on this dinosaur displaces slightly less than 1000cc, and is factory rated at only 58hp (US version.)  But being geared relatively low, it moves out nicely ..... third gear provides a good interstate merge.  And 5th (top) will run all day at 80mph and 5000rpm.  Red line is approx. 7000rpm. The factory rated the US version's top speed at about 112mph.

My riding buddy's now-gone V Strom 650 was a wonderful long distance bike.  Smaller engine, perhaps close to 70hp.  But a large frame, and with aftermarket luggage, it was a hauler.  Probably why it is still in the Suzuki lineup.

So, for those that feel the V7 is a bit small for touring,  it seems to be more-related to frame size, seat to peg distance, and suspension compliance rather than displacement and horsepower.

Bob

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:49:52 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
Test rode a couple bikes today.  One was a new wee strom.  I've decided that just being able to touch the ground is not enough; felt heavy.  It was sitting on a slight incline and it took some oomph to get it off the stand.  I'd have to lower it to be comfortable.  Beautiful engine for a 650, shifting was very nice.  Seating felt fine to me.  The exhaust note was fine.  Weirdly enough, twitchy at slower speeds (30-40 mph).  People love these things so it's either just me or the setup was somehow off.  When I say twitchy, I mean that the bike was moving around slightly with no input from me.  Tires?  It didn't feel unsafe, but I did make that test ride shorter.  I might give it one more try from a different dealer.

The 2007 BMW F 800 ST (used) I rode yesterday was more confidence inspiring and an extremely comfortable bike.  For me however, the lean was too far forward, the engine note was kind of blah, and I wasn't grinning when I got off.  Having said that, I think it would make a good tourer with a few mods to suit my ergo preferences.  Very competent.

Rode the V7 iii today.  What a hooligan bike!   :grin:  I mean that in the best possible sense.  I was rip roaring all over the  place!  (not over-revving, but beetling over hill and dale with a certain amount of abandon).  Wow, the incremental changes are noticeable compared to my V7.  The only thing I don't like is it feels a bit shorter.  The things I do like:  quicker handling, better throttle/fuel delivery, comfortable seat(!), better shocks.  It feels lighter but I've been assured it's actually a few pounds heavier.  It feels a bit quicker when you turn the throttle.  Nice bike!  And I was grinning when I finished the ride. :cool: 

I've got a couple more bikes I want to try out including the V9 Roamer.  Lot's of good ideas and pics have been posted, they're definitely appreciated.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here