Author Topic: What does Guzzi need? Be realistic given economies on all fronts?  (Read 17051 times)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: What does Guzzi need? Be realistic given economies on all fronts?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2017, 06:20:06 AM »
I agree 100% kev.  Not all , but (fill in the blank here) 60%, 70%?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
In order:

1. Quality control
2. Product development
3. Marketing
4. Dealer network

= A business plan. That simple.
But, premise 1: "realistic"  -  With an Italian company, expect a wasted opportunity.
And premise 2: "economies"  -  I'm not certain Piaggio have the financial muscle even it they should wish to try to expand their little niche in the motorcycle market.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »
I have to think of my daughters and what they would want from Guzzi.  They both love the V7 style and shaft drive.  But One of them is too short legged to ride it (believe me we have tried) and the other just prefers a more scooter like bike... that is to say a covered engine, twist n go throttle, lots of bag hooks and 'trunk space' and ease of handling.., all without losing a classic Italian style. 

Perhaps Guzzi could make a cute, utilitarian, smaller displacement bike that might bring more female and smaller statured riders into the fold.  I know Piaggio already has Vespa, but Guzzi might bring their own interpretation of a scooter-like motorbike that might be appealing.  A kind of 'crossover' scooter/motorcycle based on a 400/500 cc shaft driven thumper.   

As far as economy goes, it would be marketable to many Asian countries that thrive on small displacement bikes which may help fund the bigger performance bikes some of us love.  Just my 0.02
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:44:32 AM by vstevens »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »
Your questions are very open ended. 

A Consumer Market would be a good start.  The New unit sells is down for all brands and is not expected to grow for 5 years per MCN magazine.  That is a pretty liberal claim. 

Moto Guzzi is not in the top 8.  Moving up one or two places still does not put them close to 2nd or 3rd place. 

Designing and building a new model or models to meet the demands of Who?  I like the old stuff.  I am 59 y.o.  Who would the designers design and build for?  New young riders, New old riders, Old riders? 

Being in a meeting of designers and marketing would be an interesting day. So many variables.   Big, small, gas, electric are just a few of the niches. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »
Maybe it's not all the bikes-could it be the riders?  What I mean is the US motorcycle press are always touting the benefits and "betterness" of the latest and greatest bikes with the most HP and advanced electronics.  Gotta have 27 settings for everything.
Oh no.  You mean your aux lights won't signal the space station when you switch to high beam?  Are you NUTZ?!  You can't possibly ride an old bike that doesn't do THAT now, can you!  And it's on and on.  Like doing the 1/4 mile in 11.3 seconds is so much better than last years bike that did it in 11.9.  It's crazy talk.

Now, that's NOT to say anything about or against those who like that.  You get to do what you want with your money.  Point is the M/C mags push that type of agenda a lot.  Then, when they write about a Guzzi or similar (is there similar?) it's with a slant.  For better or worse or whatever.

I guess part of the point is who are they (Guzzi) building bikes for?  If it's for the head up competition with BMW and KTM and Ducati and so forth, as mentioned above, they are doomed IMO.  The press will always portray them as second fiddle.  That won't matter to us but it'll be a very heavy lift to get others to try a Guzzi in that scenario.

By no means a complete thought here.  Anybody else have a thought on this from a different angle?

I'm with you ................. I hope they can stay true and not end up as another me too act.

Ciao

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
What Guzzi needs is to advertise and glamorize the Guzzi V-Twin, which is,

The most captivating, mesmerizing, most stunningly beautiful engine in the entire industry:

Guzzi: Stop spending ad money on pretty boys, hot women, and tribal rap music.  All you need is a series of 30-second videos with the exhaust note, the wind, and the Guzzi V-Twin.  Begin with a picture of the red Guzzi Eagle badge glowing in the first light of dawn, end with that same badge bathed in sunset light 700 miles away.

Make 'Guzzi Reliability' a real-time legend with meat on its bones.  Keep it simple, keep it honest.

'Geezer
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:35:10 AM by M0T0Geezer »
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 01:00:04 AM »
I think Guzzi should come out with a trike that costs less than $25K.  This would appeal to old riders, short riders, and women riders.  Those Guzzi jugs out front would look perfect compared to all other trikes.  :thumb:   There would be no other trikes like them and they would be easy to work on or park.  :boozing:

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 08:05:07 AM »
What Guzzi needs is to advertise and glamorize the Guzzi V-Twin, which is,

The most captivating, mesmerizing, most stunningly beautiful engine in the entire industry:

Guzzi: Stop spending ad money on pretty boys, hot women, and tribal rap music.  All you need is a series of 30-second videos with the exhaust note, the wind, and the Guzzi V-Twin.  Begin with a picture of the red Guzzi Eagle badge glowing first in the early light of dawn, end with that same badge bathed in sunset light 700 miles away.

Make 'Guzzi Reliability' a real-time legend with meat on its bones.  Keep it simple, keep it honest.

'Geezer

I agree with you motogeezer.  An ad featuring all you mention with a trim male/female rider (maybe two ads, one for the boys and one for the girls), and at the end of a spectacularly beautiful ride on a gorgeous bike with that sexy Guzzi rumble, the rider dismounts, takes helmet off revealing a handsome/attractive rider with just a bit of grey hair/beard...
this might appeal across generations.  ??

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
Ya'll , got a good point :    There ain't nothing wrong with the product , its the presentation that needs help.  :grin:

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
I think Guzzi should come out with a trike that costs less than $25K.  This would appeal to old riders, short riders, and women riders.  Those Guzzi jugs out front would look perfect compared to all other trikes.  :thumb:   There would be no other trikes like them and they would be easy to work on or park.  :boozing:

You mean like Rodekyll's trike ?

Dusty

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »
all you have to do is go to The V9 roamer final drive update thread.
the whole problem is Guzzis' factory owners just don't give a crap about the owners or dealers!
without happy customers both retail and wholesale you will never grow as a co.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
You mean like Rodekyll's trike ?

Dusty

No, with 16"wider wheels and not as big a storage compartment in back.  RKs is built like a utility trike.  :azn:  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   RKs is like a Ural trike would probably look.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:09:49 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
My issue with guzzi is the most basic but probably the most destructive to the company. In my state of NC I have virtually no customer support service. We have one dealer and for me it over 100 miles away and almost unaffordable. If it was not for this forum and a bunch of great guys that’s always willing to help us less fortunate mechanically minded folks, I would not own one of these oddities.

oldbike54

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
My issue with guzzi is the most basic but probably the most destructive to the company. In my state of NC I have virtually no customer support service. We have one dealer and for me it over 100 miles away and almost unaffordable. If it was not for this forum and a bunch of great guys that�s always willing to help us less fortunate mechanically minded folks, I would not own one of these oddities.

So you're saying the mothership should help pay the bills here ? Hmm , do we get a raise ?  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »
We could at least have fun whilst sucking the treasury dry.   Hire Pete Roper as public relations spokesperson. Squatch is in charge of hiring and  the sexxyterries. Turnip is product testing. Dusty is union officer. Shorty will write all the snobby commercials. Tom is in charge of warehousing and shipping. Lannis and HD Goose handle complaint department. LowRyter will smooze the govt and handle bribery. Doug and Dave run the employee mess and wine cellar.  Luap will.live nearby in Monte Carlo and handle the asset management.  Damn Yankee will translate. Who have I missed?   

I can run the QA function but you're not going to like it. We got requirements ....
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2017, 05:25:56 PM »
So you're saying the mothership should help pay the bills here ? Hmm , do we get a raise ?  :rolleyes:

Dusty
I don’t think we can come up with enough money to pay you what you’re worth Dusty. So I reckon you and the rest of the knowledgeable guys here will just have to be satisfied with a heart filled, thank you for your service 👍

Offline Pop

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »
Guys,
To be real and honest, they need to pair down their entries. They are trying to cover too many lines. The cost is killing them and their reliability. Unfortunately, their arrogance will be their end.
Pop
Ride to eat, if there ain't food, I ain't goin'

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »
With the new motor in the offering, it looks like they may have a replacement for the CARC bikes demise.  That would leave them with the small block (V7 and V9), the 1400 California line, and a mid size engine for a new naked sport, a faired sport touring, and an adventure bike, all sharing the same basic architecture and drive train. Hopefully that new drive train will consist of output similar to the old CARC bikes and maybe in a bit lighter chassis.

They do need to work on the consistency of building bikes with properly greased bearings, torqued bolts, and tested designs. I don't own a Guzzi right now, but I will close with this thought, my Guzzi's were some of the most pleasurable bikes I have ever ridden and at the same time some of the most frustrating bikes I have ever owned.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »

Spine Frame Trike.  Not your typical gas tank between your legs, just engine and spine.  500 pounds.  12 inch slicks out back, 500 pounds.  Seat about 10 inches off the ground.  Big Wheel Fun. 

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »

I don't own a Guzzi right now, but I will close with this thought, my Guzzi's were some of the most pleasurable bikes I have ever ridden and at the same time some of the most frustrating bikes I have ever owned.

< Doning flame suit>

That's why I have TWO HARLEYS, and one Guzzi.

I decided my blood pressure would be better with only one Guzzi in the garage for now and two easy, reliable, don't worry about it Harleys.

< / Flame suit>

But I'll add that I could see a time in the future I'd try to own two Guzzis at the same time again.... And hell that V7III blue Special tempts me.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2017, 12:44:16 AM »
I can run the QA function but you're not going to like it. We got requirements ....

:grin: I have been getting around QA for 30 odd years. Ain't nothing a little zinc chromate, teflon based paint applied real thick, or a well placed bag of chocolate chip cookies can't fix.  :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline bmp72

• New Egg
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2017, 04:22:01 AM »
First, I think what Guzzi needs most of all is for more people to try them out.

With the transversal V-twin the bike has this special kind of vibe, if you're sensitive to this then you're hooked. But if you never try one out then you'll never know.

Still remember my very first time on a Guzzi. 1996, was looking for a replacement for my zx9r as it was just too good and boring a bike. Also did not like the monthly payments so needed something cheaper. Stopped at this second hand bike place in Rotterdam, one of those flea market style places. Saw a Guzzi LM3 in quite bad nick and not complete (no airbox but K&N filters, wind screen broken, both head had 2 or 3 fins broken off). But the price was right so I thought I'd give it a go. The moment it started and went into its idle I was done for. "If this thing makes it of the lot then I'll buy it" . I still remember the sheer joy of the rest ride. Not because of the handling (scary) or speed, purely based on the feel of the engine.

I think a lot more people are susceptible to the unique feel of a Guzzi. But as long as they don't try one they will never know. For me it was a chance encounter, but that LM3 so far has been my all time favorite bike (in 27 years of motorcycling).

Here locally there are tons of Guzzi dealers around so that is not the problem (there's like 5 in a 10 mile radius). But the local BMW and Harley dealers, at least 2 times a year have test ride days where they bring all the bikes to a big parking lot at the local twisties, and everyone who wants to can have a go. The threshold to just try one is very, very low. Guzzi's, quite the opposite.The dealers are small, with only a few bikes. The threshold for a test ride is very high as you are often asking the guy to take a brand new bike off the floor. In my search I've visited dealers 60 miles away for a test ride, just to get a bike with a few 100 miles on it and not have the bad feeling of having the shop make a new bike second hand (here in CH bikes are not considered new anymore even with a few km on it)

Second, sometimes Italian styling and marketing works against them. With my first few bikes (as a poor student in 1990) being late 70-ies CB400F and GS750E, I like the look of the bikes of the 70-ies. All guzzi's from around 2000 look ugly to me and I would never get one. A Centauro might have looked stylish in Milan, for me in the real world, never. I am happy now they have the V7 and V9. But even there they go kind of wrong in a sense that 'the V7 is for this market and the V9 for that market' . Who cares, if lots of people want a V9 with V7 looks than you build that, who cares if it doesn't fit in that model lines phylosophy ?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:24:18 AM by bmp72 »

elvisboy77

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2017, 05:07:29 AM »
I think they are doing just fine.  They will never be anything but a small motorcycle manufacturer, and I like it that way.  They must be doing something right to stay in business since 1921.

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »

I think they need to continue making exceptionally well balanced bikes with whatever technical innovations they can deliver.  Bikes with soul.  Bikes that speak to the rider.

Maybe one way to get the answer would be instead to ask, "What made you buy a Guzzi?"

Matt
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »
:grin: I have been getting around QA for 30 odd years. Ain't nothing a little zinc chromate, teflon based paint applied real thick, or a well placed bag of chocolate chip cookies can't fix.  :wink: 

YMMV depending on the product line, and the outlook applied to the outfit. This century I work in ruggedized computers, and paint only absolves some of our sins. I feel the most sympathy for folks in the medical and automotive lines - even the aircraft guys have it easier than them.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:46 PM »
From Wheaties:
"What made you buy a Guzzi?"

Sad to say there were only two reasons I bought my first my first Guzzi. First, the only reason I was even aware of what a Guzzi was, was due to word of mouth. Second, the deal was too good to pass up, i.e. cheap. Figured at the time that if I didn't like it I could probably get my money back out of it. However the 90 mile ride home from the purchase site sold me on Guzzi and the rest is history.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »

Maybe one way to get the answer would be instead to ask, "What made you buy a Guzzi?"

Matt

I found an interesting looking bike, no idea what it was. I said how much, he said 2 Lite beers. I said I'd be right back.

35+ years with the Eldo!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
My $.02 worth (take with a grain of salt).  What Guzzi needs is:
1. Younger audience.

Yep.  That's it.  Appeal to a younger group of enthusiasts and everything else will follow suit.

Am I wrong? Probably.  I don't know squat about designing, building, marketing and then selling motorcycles.  But, I do know that we are all getting older.  It's something to say that I'm probably one of the youngest on this forum at almost 48 years old.  We need 20-30 somethings to take an interest. Sadly, most 20-30 somethings are still living in mommies basement, eating Cheetos, drinking red bull and playing call of duty every waken moment.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
  Simple............. .Carc bikes.....with everything they had before but improved upon in every way.  build the best of what 'was' a giant step forward.
1000cc to 1200cc gives performance that would be competitive and unique to Guzzi and respected by the competition.
Give them great names , lemans etc  and market them with a passion that relates to what Guzzi meant back then and turn it into now.
Target those that are familiar and those that want something different , and would want to be part of what Guzzi is and should be now .
In Guzzi there is no middle ground make it available to those that desire something more in a motorcycle , something modern and in time...
build that and they will come from HD and Triumph and the Japanese to experience and want something special in a motorcycle...
AND do not worry about old school Guzzi riders they are the past and not the now or the future ..just move on and get on with it  ffs
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:01:32 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

oldbike54

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
My $.02 worth (take with a grain of salt).  What Guzzi needs is:
1. Younger audience.

Yep.  That's it.  Appeal to a younger group of enthusiasts and everything else will follow suit.

Am I wrong? Probably.  I don't know squat about designing, building, marketing and then selling motorcycles.  But, I do know that we are all getting older.  It's something to say that I'm probably one of the youngest on this forum at almost 48 years old.  We need 20-30 somethings to take an interest. Sadly, most 20-30 somethings are still living in mommies basement, eating Cheetos, drinking red bull and playing call of duty every waken moment.

How to attract younger customers is the question every motorbike manufacturer is trying to answer . HD is targeting female riders , BMW is building the R9T , Triumph markets the base Bonnie to the younger crowd , and the V7 seems to be MG's entry into that market . Maybe young folks don't really care about hi-tech motorbikes , they seem to get their tech fix with electronic toys . Dunno , but a new generation of counterculture hippies with their attitudes about 2 wheels might help .

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here