Author Topic: Better Bike Insurance Alternatives than GEICO?  (Read 6762 times)

Bonaventure

Better Bike Insurance Alternatives than GEICO?
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »
So I got my premium due notice from GEICO yesterday.  They've doubled it on account of my accident earlier this year.  Certainly I expected a rate hike, but 100% seems extreme?  I also realize that any other insurer will up rate me on a new quote since they all probably tap into the same clearinghouse system for risk info, but wanted to ask if anyone has found a motorcycle insurance company that tends to have better rates. 

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Better Bike Insurance Alternatives than GEICO?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
Try Progressive, I went with them after Foremost raised my rates, I have 4 bikes with them for a tad over 300. Probably better rates out there, they say to shop around every year or two  :boozing:   
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:34:36 AM »
Try Progressive, I went with them after Foremost raised my rates, I have 4 bikes with them for a tad over 300. Probably better rates out there, they say to shop around every year or two  :boozing:   

Progressive here too.  If your auto insurance is with USAA, they'll refer you to Progressive for motorcycles.  That's saying something.

Matt
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
I used to have an independent agent.  Each year he'd check the rates on all the companies he worked with, and write my policy with the lowest priced one.  (Maybe I should look for one now)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:01:43 AM »
My State Farm guy told me that most of the rate theses days is based on your history then your credit rating. They feel if you have good credit, you are responsible and are a lesser risk.

Paul
PJM

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »
I get excellent rates with Progressive and their service for my sole claim (10 years past) was great. I did have to get two separate policies, because they only allow 4 motorcycles per...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »
Progressive here too.....for more than 15 yrs now
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
Progressive for the bikes and cars. I have stacking on the cars and it extends the uninsured motorist coverage to the bikes, as the cost in the state of Floriduh for uninsured motorists on motorcycles is astronomical.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
 Yeah , Progressive , and my agent is cute and funny , heck , she knew what a Moto Guzzi is  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »
You've got to check around whenever the premium goes up.

I've never claimed on my bike insurance, but their premium-pricing philosophy is the frog-in-a-kettle plan .... just slowly turn up the heat, and the frog will be just about cooked before he even notices that the water has gotten warm.

Dairyland did it so I switched to Farm Bureau.   Farm Bureau did it so I switched to State Farm.   State Farm did it so I switched to GEICO.

And I'm keeping an eye on them.    When they start raising my rates for no reason, maybe start the cycle over again with Dairyland.    I get at least a 25% break every time I switch.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:02:19 AM »
Progressive here. When I started with them I had my EV and Goldwing. When I added my KLR my rate dropped 25%. I guess if you want lower rates you just go out and get a KLR.

Pete

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »
 Talk to Flo at progressive.  She takes care of my two sidecar machines for a little over 100 a year.
 When I had three it was about ten dollars more.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
You've got to check around whenever the premium goes up.

...I get at least a 25% break every time I switch.

That used to be normal around 1980, hence my  independent agent switching companies every year.  But both Progressive and Hagerty have been pretty much rock-stable since I've had policies with them.  I've had the same policies for something around five years now.  I do have to watch for things like towing service and other extras getting tacked on at renewal time.  I don't remember which one did that, or maybe both did, but I just go online to pay and back out the extras that were added, if any.

Before I started getting glasses from Zenni Optical, I had Sam's Club doing that sort of thing too.  I went to get a new pair of glasses and was quoted a price like $150.  I expressed concern that it went up so much from the $90 I paid a few years before, and found out I had all kinds of extras added in by default.  After opting for things like "plastic lenses" instead of "polycarbonate lenses"  (what?) it was right back to $90.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
Markel beat the crap out of Progressive for me. Had Progressive for years. Then along came Flo, & the rate climbed year after year. Gotta pay for that ad blitz somehow.

But what you pay for insurance always depends on where you live. Northern Dull-Aware, Markel is a third what Flo wants.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
When they start raising my rates for no reason, maybe start the cycle over again with Dairyland.    I get at least a 25% break every time I switch.

Lannis

100% agree...had State Farm for many years and switched to Liberty Mutual for the last 7 years and every year I have a discussion with my agent and negotiate the rate to a minimal increase vs. their proposed annual bumps.  With houses, cars, flood policies, motorcycle policies it helps to shop the whole bundle, and it's generally more convenient, although not always for the insurance company to "keep you" as a customer rather than lose the whole set of policies to the competition...but you do have to be ready to walk to another company.

I was never impressed with the customer service of State Farm, even though their rates were good for many years, but I have to say that Liberty Mutual has outstanding customer service...truly exceptional.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:07:55 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »

What I didn't like about GEICO is you subsidize govm't employees in DC and the area.   
 Is that stuff still on the app?

Bonaventure

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
Before wreck GEICO, $354/yr.  After wreck GEICO $747.  Age 54, with them since 2013, no claim history except the wreck, good credit (800+), etc.   

I want to do this to the little lizard guy:  :violent1:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:44:09 AM by Bonaventure »

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »
I'm 68, in Oregon, very happy with Dairyland.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
In 55 years of riding I've only had 1 claim and that was with Geico who treated me good.   But then I got a quote from Progressive   :shocked:  and I've been with them ever since for half as much.  :thumb:

Offline insignia100

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »
I recently switched from Progressive to Geico. Progressive, I think, has the V7 Stone in their system as a 750cc sport bike, because the quote when I got this bike was the same as a GSXR 750 at over $700. Switched to Geico for $250/year with full coverage and high limits. Moral of the story -- just because someone says a certain company is cheap doesn't mean everyone has the same experience.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »
I'm paying about $100 to $150 a year for liability only on each of 4 bikes with AAA - Auto Club in California. AAA varies by state, but in CA it is a non-profit organization. At the end of each year they rebate the excess premiums as a credit for the next year's renewal.

If the bike is paid off, consider not carrying comprehensive or collision.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »
What I didn't like about GEICO is you subsidize govm't employees in DC and the area.   
 Is that stuff still on the app?
    It's In Their Name.......Governme ntEmployeesInsuranc eCompany.........se e also Warren Buffett  :grin:

I have used Progressive about 15 years, 3 bikes 250 a year AND I also own their stock so I get a dividend. My own money back. Win Win  :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Lesman

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
I sell Progressive and Foremost. Both Excellent companies. Progressive will be cheaper if you are older , good record and good credit. For example: I pay about $90 a year for a Quota  for full coverage(no upper limits but higher than state minimum nor un or under insured motorist). Foremost is a real good deal on really high limits and un and under insured motorist.  I haven't had a claim in almost 40 years. Both payoff fast .
Talk with your agent. Have him walk you through various scenarios of theft, you crashing and someone running into you without insurance or just someone with state minimum limits.
Remember always keep your eye on the money but don't "cheap out" for the bottom line.
You will be amazed at what a $ 30-100 savings will cost you when you have a claim.
For example $1000 deductible saves you maybe $20-65 a year(depending on the carrier and individual) vs a $0/250/500 deductible on a motorcycle policy.

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
I have been using Progressive for several years on all 4 bikes. Best rates around!
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
I'm paying about $100 to $150 a year for liability only on each of 4 bikes with AAA - Auto Club in California. AAA varies by state, but in CA it is a non-profit organization. At the end of each year they rebate the excess premiums as a credit for the next year's renewal.

If the bike is paid off, consider not carrying comprehensive or collision.

In Calif., AAA is 2 separate operations, 1 for soCal-AAA, other for norCal-CSAA.  They vary on what they offer.

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:26 AM »
Had excellent service from Markel after a "get off"; and, rate did not increase after claim!! It was the least expensive for me at the time, also!

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
A friend of mine was a long time Allstate agent.  He told me that moderate claims didn't typically raise the premium, but if I put in enough moderate claims in a short enough time, I'd risk the policy getting canceled.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:46:36 AM by Triple Jim »

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 08:19:45 AM »
Another happy Progressive customer for my Beemer.  I've been with Progressive for many years, and the rates have stayed low.  At times I had multiple bikes onto policy, and it has always been reasonable.

No one has mentioned specialty insurers for antique and custom vehicles.  My T3 is insured with Condon and Skelly, with a high declared value.  They are also very reasonably priced and the premium has not increased in several years.

Both of these policies through an independent agent.

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »

I did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons after Formost drastically raised my rates. When I questioned them as to why, they couldn't tell me why other than they just raised their rates across the board. I said goodbye.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 08:57:25 AM »
I did the exact same thing for the exact same reasons after Formost drastically raised my rates. When I questioned them as to why, they couldn't tell me why other than they just raised their rates across the board. I said goodbye.

Everybody's vehicle rate's went up in Florida, along with all the other high insurance costs in this state. Too much texting and driving into the ditch,etc.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here