Author Topic: '18 Indian Bobber Test Ride. A Newb's Report.  (Read 11719 times)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
'18 Indian Bobber Test Ride. A Newb's Report.
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
The plan was to ride to a local dealer hosting an Indian Demo Day, then do whatever.  That was the plan. 

Nothing seemed to be going right, our coms weren't working (several different issues), the wind had picked up bringing errant sprinkles with it, so we scrapped the ride, put the bikes away, and drove the Odessey.  If the universe didn't want us to mount up, there must be a good reason. 

Once at the dealer, all went well.  The chickies in their shorty-short shorts were pleasant (even though they were shivering) asking each participant what they wanted to ride.  When it was my turn, the tiny Asian girl, with painted on eyebrows, and outrageously blue contact lenses asked me the following:

She- Will you be his passenger today?
Me- Who?  :huh:  Oh, hell no, I'm riding my own.
She-  :laugh: Good answer!
Me-  :grin:

It was going to be about twenty minutes before the next available ride, so I went to sit on the display Bobber and get a feel for it.  First thing I noticed was how comfortable a 25" seat height can be.  With the seat height, the weight feels nice and low, making it easy to just hang out on.  Then I put my left foot on the peg to test ease of getting my boot under to shift.  Unless I was scooted up against the tank, it wasn't going to work, and I hoped the demo unit was properly adjusted, or my ride would be over before it started.   

The moment I was able to sit the demo, I checked the shift lever and was relieved to find adequate room for my boot.  One of the ride associates came up to tell me I had to hold my horses and listen to the pre-ride instructions.  I explained my reason for jumping the gun, and he said that he had done all of the pre-demo adjustments before these bikes had gone out the first time and understood exactly what I was talking about. 

With the instructions over, we were off, and luckily I was last.  I'm not a speedy gal off the stop, nor am I fast up to the same.  I like to pull away smoothly (theoretically), cruise along, and keep my feet off the ground as long as possible before being forced to ground.  Being a newb, this behavior is more pronounced when on a new bike.  The sweeper put up with my light "slingshot" riding nicely.

The lead rider pulls out, I put it in 1st and slowly release the clutch.  Nothing happens.  Ah, familiar territory, my Anni ignores 1st sometimes, try again.  And again.  Eureka!  We pull onto the street, the clutch catches further from the grip than I'm used to so I slip it a bit, but it's nice on the hand.  Time for second gear NOT, I  get neutral three times, but the fouth she caught.  Whew, nothing like a new bike to make you look like an ID10T!

At the first stop, the sweeper pulls alongside and asked if I'm OK.  I explained the issue and received instruction on how placing my toe fully under the lever works well.   :lipsrsealed:  :thumb:  I just give a nod as, thankfully, the light turned green. 

Once we hit our very brief freeway leg, I kicked the Bobber up to 85mph, and it was happy to comply.  I felt no hesitation, no vibration, unlike Anni, and the even the wind on my chest was minimal, much less than the V7 III.  I also didn't notice any "bobblehead" action, which could be due to the forward leaning ride position.  I did notice with acceleration, I slipped back in the roomy one-seater and had to keep repositioning myself forward.  Annoying, but not a dealbreaker.   

I found myself enjoying the Bobber's song but missed the Guzzy "burble" and engine movement when the throttle is tweaked.  Our route was a 4ish mile rectangle, with zero twisties, and several stoplights.  I had to satisfy myself with in-lane swervelets to test flickability, and Bobby was happy to oblige.

All in all, he's a nice ride that I'd be willing to explore more, given the chance.  However, for the price, I'd still take a V7 III with it's included bells and whistles, over the base Indian Scout Bobber.  Besides, once you ride a Moto Guzzi you're kind of ruined for anything else. 

:bike-037: ~Ride on!

I just found this pic on fb.  I'm the one with the white and light blue helmet sitting like a topknot on my head, third from the right.

upload to album

Here are the Hotpant Gals.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:15:49 PM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Attackpug

• New Egg
Re: '18 Indian Bobber Test Ride. A Newb's Report.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
I like your story telling girl you have . . . . flare !
2016 BMW R 1200 RT
2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #149 My baby!

Bonaventure

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
Interesting review on the Indian.  Not my cup of tea, but respect their efforts.  Polaris recently killed off Victory, sure hope they keep Indian going.  Nice choice of jacket I like the hi-vis highlights.  I'm going to be ordering a yellow Firstgear mesh tex before spring arrives. 

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
I like your story telling girl you have . . . . flare !

I'm not a writer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm glad it worked for you.

Interesting review on the Indian.  Not my cup of tea, but respect their efforts.  Polaris recently killed off Victory, sure hope they keep Indian going.  Nice choice of jacket I like the hi-vis highlights.  I'm going to be ordering a yellow Firstgear mesh tex before spring arrives. 

Here is my night attire (pink X marks the spot). :thumb:

I was into sleek faired touring style bikes (BMW K1600 or similar) before I sat on a V7 III.  I LOVED Victory's styling and was sad to hear Polaris put an end to the brand.  I'm not much for the current crop of Harleys, but the Indians have always appealed to my eye.  There are very few things I truly dislike in this world, mosquitos being one, but they support bats, which I love so...     
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:42:03 PM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »
     I'm sure it's a quality product but I think the engine looks like crap.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »
I hear my older Bro has just bought a new Scout, haven't spoken to him about it yet, I can never catch him home.

Kiwi-Kev and I tried to talk him into a Guzzi but he didn't see one he liked.

He's just turned 76, had a Sportster for the last few years so I think the Indian will be a natural progression.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:29:34 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

twowings

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 09:25:28 PM »
"Besides, once you ride a Moto Guzzi you're kind of ruined for anything else."  :bow:

I concur. :thumb:

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
" I did notice with acceleration, I slipped back in the roomy one-seater and had to keep repositioning myself forward."

I have the same problem with my HD. Found a seat with a decent back stop so I don't don't feel like I'm going to slide off.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 04:52:41 AM »
At the risk of appearing to mansplain shifting, but knowing you're a newer rider, might I ask a question/offer a suggestion or two?

Do you think you ever grab the clutch lever and hold it for a second or two before placing the bike in gear at a stop?

I ask because some bikes won't snick into gear from neutral if the clutch lever is held in long enough for the shafts to stop spinning and land in just such a way. The solution is to slip the clutch slightly or better time the lever grab and subsequent shifter motion.

Once underway do you keep your toe under the shifter and perhaps do you ever not fully release the shifter lever before attempting the next upshift?

I ask because your description of hitting neutral or not getting 2nd gear both suggest insufficient lever travel which can be caused by physical insufficient toe movement but also by lack of shifter stroke due to failure to allow the mechanism to fully reset.

Just some things to consider.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:55:24 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 05:50:01 AM »
We bought a '17 scout last April; great motor, transmission works well, handles OK for a cruiser, harsh suspension (little travel) and awful wind management at highway speeds; still trying different windscreens and deflectors. For an old short guy, the low seat height and center of gravity are nice around town. The bike has become our local 2-up ride. The Norge will primarily be used for long distance duty.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
'nice write up, thanks.  The Scout is Indian's entry platform and it has been doing well.  I actually liked the Octane variant but as you say, Victory is no more.  I had the opposite problem with the Scout I rode, it felt tinny (which is odd given the wheelbase).  Polaris does do a better job of recognizing people come in all shapes and sizes so I believe there is a kit for both better fit of the large and small. I have not seen one on a Bobber but on the Springfield at least it helps a lot.  Still, it's heritage by acquisition.  One of the things I like about Guzzi's is they are the real deal.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
At the risk of appearing to mansplain shifting, but knowing you're a newer rider, might I ask a question/offer a suggestion or two?

Do you think you ever grab the clutch lever and hold it for a second or two before placing the bike in gear at a stop?

I ask because some bikes won't snick into gear from neutral if the clutch lever is held in long enough for the shafts to stop spinning and land in just such a way. The solution is to slip the clutch slightly or better time the lever grab and subsequent shifter motion.

Once underway do you keep your toe under the shifter and perhaps do you ever not fully release the shifter lever before attempting the next upshift?

I ask because your description of hitting neutral or not getting 2nd gear both suggest insufficient lever travel which can be caused by physical insufficient toe movement but also by lack of shifter stroke due to failure to allow the mechanism to fully reset.

I'm always up for constructive input from experienced riders.  In the above report, I was peeved that everyone involved at the event assumed I was a professional pillion.  I get the same treatment at most dealerships, and retail stores.  I understand that the overwhelming majority of riders are men, but it would be nice if it were assumed that everyone rides, until otherwise informed.  That one little change would make a world of difference to the lady riders of the world. 

Oddly, at the BMW event last month, no Hotpant Girls were in evidence, and everyone assumed I was riding solo.  I was obviously not dressed to ride (flip-flops, capri pants), but on several occasions, I was approached about which bike I was going to try out.  Maybe it had to do with the dealership?     

OK, back to the topic.  I tend to shift into 1st before I come to a stop, and unless the light has just turned red, I leave it there.  I don't rest my toe under the lever whilst riding, except when running through the gears to accelerate "quickly".  As far as getting the Scout into 2nd, I agree with your assessment of my foot movement.  The floor model had no room and the demo was a bit too roomy when combined with the forward peg placement.  I'm a newb on an unfamiliar bike, I guess it's to be expected.  Solution?  RIDE MORE BIKES! :thumb: 

Question, what's happening when I try going from neutral to first and nothing happens?  Initially, Anni couldn't find neutral, then wouldn't come out of neutral without several attempts, and that morphed into the "go into 2nd, then back down to 1st" method.  I've messed with the lever free play, which helped a touch, and eventually replaced the stock levers for basic adjustables bringing more improvement.  However, this issue is consistent enough to keep me from going into neutral without a strong need, or a tired hand.     
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:03 AM »
When we went to try the Chief and they asked us to try it pillion style, my wife got on and I took the pillion spot. They didn't blink so I knew we were in the right place.

The "hot pants girl" at the dealership is a VERY experienced rider and owns a 1930 Scout. Just sayin'.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »
When we went to try the Chief and they asked us to try it pillion style, my wife got on and I took the pillion spot. They didn't blink so I knew we were in the right place.

The "hot pants girl" at the dealership is a VERY experienced rider and owns a 1930 Scout. Just sayin'.

I asked if they rode, none did.  :sad:  I'm always looking for input on gear from those with similar physical accoutrements. 
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
funny.

big stupid wide tires on middle sized "bobber" motorcycles....

and thin tall low profile tires on super sized "baggers". 

besides looking silly to my eyes, it's a total compromise of performance and control all due to someone's idea of "styling". 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »

Question, what's happening when I try going from neutral to first and nothing happens?  Initially, Anni couldn't find neutral, then wouldn't come out of neutral without several attempts, and that morphed into the "go into 2nd, then back down to 1st" method.  I've messed with the lever free play, which helped a touch, and eventually replaced the stock levers for basic adjustables bringing more improvement.  However, this issue is consistent enough to keep me from going into neutral without a strong need, or a tired hand.   

When that happens I'm still guessing that you have squeezed and held the clutch lever for a second or two, enough time for the transmission input shaft to stop spinning and in a position where the clutch dogs for 1st can't quite engage.

Or conversely your foot was positioned still preloading the shifter lever just enough to keep the ratchet from resetting so the movement of the shift lever does nothing to rotate the shift drum.

In the first scenario simply releasing the clutch lever for a second or starting to just release/slip it enough to start engaging the friction zone would get the shaft spinning again, changing clutch dog alignment and allowing it to engage.

The first scenario is related to clutch free play adjustment as well. Too little play or too much play can cause shifting problems, especially when stopped, due to opposite reasons (not spinning or too much spinning).

The second scenario is about foot placement and toe-to-shifter discipline that allows full travel and ratchet resetting.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »

If her bike came off the Official Indian Demo truck, I bet I rode the same bike. For me, the peg to shifter length was way too far and since I was wearing regular MC sport type boots (Sidi), I almost had to pull my foot off the peg to get the gear change. Mentioned it to the tech guy and he said they adjust them all so folks with big thick toed boots can fit. I think I hit neutral on a 1st to 2nd shift once. More than that the bobber riding position was terrible for my taste. Long reach to the handlebars and then forward foot controls. This put me in an extreme "C" position that had surrender flags going up in just a few miles. I thought the motor and gearbox worked very well together and would love to see it in a street tracker layout.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
I've had time on a Scout-not the Bobber though.  Good thing the ride was all in a straight line.  If the Bobber is anything like the first year Scout the pegs are down before the turn is even started.  Nice bike on a straight smooth road though, but most bike are in that scenario.

SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 12:42:31 PM »
I'm always up for constructive input from experienced riders.  In the above report, I was peeved that everyone involved at the event assumed I was a professional pillion.  I get the same treatment at most dealerships, and retail stores.  I understand that the overwhelming majority of riders are men, but it would be nice if it were assumed that everyone rides, until otherwise informed.  That one little change would make a world of difference to the lady riders of the world. 

My wife, who will only ride two up under extreme protest because she wants to be in control of the bike, has the same issue. When she was on her CB500X she once told a geared up woman inside the gas station what she was riding. The woman quickly pointed out she was on a real motorcycle, a Harley Ultra. As we left, my wife saw the woman on the pillion seat of the Harley and stepped over to tell her she should try riding one herself, it was a lot more fun.

You are correct that testing different bikes make you realize how you become accustomed to the controls adjustment of your bike and others may seem "unnatural". That's why shifter and brake linkages have adjustability. Unfortunately that Bobber doesn't have a rear set or even std factory option, at least they didn't when I test rode it.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
Guzzi Gal, I like your writing. You are always telling stories that are both funny and really interesting, very descriptive.

Regarding downshifting into 1st while the bike is still rolling and then holding the clutch: well, I donīt know whether it is the same with the V7 III (and the II with the newer gearbox), but this is a practice that can produce wear at the engine of the smallblocks. As I understand it (and there are discussions in this forum) when you pull the clutch the crankshaft is pressed against a sort of washer that limits the lateral movement of the crank. It is that washer that Luigi on some mondays forgets to put into place...

I always switch into neutral, release the clutch and only select 1st when I start again.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »

If her bike came off the Official Indian Demo truck, I bet I rode the same bike. For me, the peg to shifter length was way too far and since I was wearing regular MC sport type boots (Sidi), I almost had to pull my foot off the peg to get the gear change. Mentioned it to the tech guy and he said they adjust them all so folks with big thick toed boots can fit. I think I hit neutral on a 1st to 2nd shift once. More than that the bobber riding position was terrible for my taste. Long reach to the handlebars and then forward foot controls. This put me in an extreme "C" position that had surrender flags going up in just a few miles.

I can see that. Silly way to set it up though on Indian's part.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 01:16:06 PM »
I've had time on a Scout-not the Bobber though.  Good thing the ride was all in a straight line.  If the Bobber is anything like the first year Scout the pegs are down before the turn is even started.  Nice bike on a straight smooth road though, but most bike are in that scenario.
Not for nothing but Jay and I had the Scout on some curves during demos when it was first released and I don't recall any peg down problems. Lean angles on the Scout aren't sport bike sized, but they are better than say lowered Harley models.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »
I'm a bit surprised.  Every turn I had those front pegs scraping.  Maybe the bike I tried was lowered?
The motor was really nice but like so many bikes of that style almost zero rear travel-and that's a big no no for me.  Nothing aganist the bike-I'm kind of fond of the new Indians-not nearly enough to buy one, bit so what?  Nice enough machines.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
I'm a bit surprised.  Every turn I had those front pegs scraping.  Maybe the bike I tried was lowered?
The motor was really nice but like so many bikes of that style almost zero rear travel-and that's a big no no for me.  Nothing aganist the bike-I'm kind of fond of the new Indians-not nearly enough to buy one, bit so what?  Nice enough machines.
Yeah who knows, lowered, preload set way low, differences in expectations?!?

I'm a big guy and if I lean or kiss the mirrors as our friend teaches I suspect I have a lot of influence over how relatively vertical a bike can stay.

Still by the specs it supposedly can lean as far as the Harley rubbermounted Roadsters that a number of us here have ridden and find fine.

*Shrugs* <----- I'm doing this a lot today.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »

Standard Scouts with the pegs in the middle position do ground out too easily. I put the "reduced reach" controls on mine, and that helps a lot. Also, with such a low seating position, a little upper-body lean makes a huge difference.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
the street tracker would make it all go better.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
Ah.  Maybe that's it.  The bike I rode had forward controls.  I figured that was stock-was I mistaken on that?

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
Ah.  Maybe that's it.  The bike I rode had forward controls.  I figured that was stock-was I mistaken on that?
Jay and I rode ones with the same stock "forwards" though I'm on the record for saying they're not THAT extreme (though they are forward, I'm not sure they are that much more forward than the controls on my old Jackal).

But see comments about body size and expectations.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:55:10 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Bonaventure

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
Looking at the Scout, I like most everything except that massive radiator on the front kills it for me.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
Looking at the Scout, I like most everything except that massive radiator on the front kills it for me.
To be truthful I hated it too, until I saw it in person. The angle you look at the bike is a lot different from most photos and it doesn't stand out as badly in person.

The said, it's no where near as unobtrusive as it is in the new Bonnies!!!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here