Author Topic: Installing Fiamm dual horns  (Read 5518 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Installing Fiamm dual horns
« on: December 22, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
I'm considering replacing my Mickey Mouse stock horn on my '08 1200 Sport with Dual Fiamm ( high & low tone) horns. Currently there are 2 wires leading to the stock horn.

I'm planning on removing the gas tank for other reasons so installing new wiring under it would be no problem, if required. I've figured out how and where they will get mounted (near the stock horn)d. I need to fabricate 2 mounting brackets... no problem. Been there, done that.

I'm not real experienced with wiring. Could someone give me a detailed step-by-step installation procedure on the wiring and what type of wiring and relay type to use?

Thanks!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Installing Fiamm dual horns
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
I put these dual horns on my Triumph years ago and they still work great (had to use them yesterday to back off a pair of dogs), and yes you will need a relay and an inline fuse is a good idea. Get the relay at any auto parts store. Google "horn relay diagram" and you will get dozens of wiring diagrams (there is more than 1 way to do it successfully) and a number of YouTube videos. Pretty simple, take your time you'll get it.
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
The Guzzi horn wiring is too wimpy to make the horns work properly. If you buy a pair of Fiaams they usually come with a relay, mount it somewhere under the tank and run a feed say #12 direct from the battery to the 30 contact then a single wire from the 87 to each horn.
Run the existing Guzzi horn wires to the relay coil.

One other thing, mount the horns so they are self draining otherwise a ride in the rain will damp the noise right out.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:51:29 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
 I considered the Dinali sound bomb horns but it appears to me like it’s going to be too big and heavy as far as the one piece. The two-piece ones are more complicated to install. I’ve had the dual Fiamms on other bikes and they are very loud and very simple and light weight to mount.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
I stick the Fiaams on all my bikes, just did the new to me Griso, hid under the tank flaps.
The California IIs came with them as stock.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »
I just put the two-piece Denali on my V7ii. It was not all that complicated (although it is big). Finding two adequate mounting locations on a 1200 Sport would be an issue. I’m not totally thrilled with my current mounting setup; I may try hanging the Denali from my pannier mounts, or just move it to my other bike and mount dual Fiamms instead.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »
My earlier K bikes came with dual Fiamms from the factory.  Good idea, I thought.

EDIT:  My earlier K100RS bikes came with dual Fiamms from the factory.  My 1988 K75S had a wimpy little horn, too.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:57:17 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
My earlier K bikes came with dual Fiamms from the factory.  Good idea, I thought.

Hmm. My ‘87 K75 (started life as a C, is now closer to a T) just has a itty bitty Bosch single under the headlight, but the wiring is built out to support something much bigger.

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Easiest is to go to TwistedThrottle.com and search for the Denali horns, then download the instruction manual. Works for all.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »
 :1: Great idea for the horns.  :thumb:  When you use them, the traffic will look for the Mercedes in their blind spot.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
:1: Great idea for the horns.  :thumb:  When you use them, the traffic will look for the Mercedes in their blind spot.

I was just joking to my wife that I’ll get run down by someone looking for the tugboat they’d just heard.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
If you really want "their" attention.  Have a bicycle bell on your moto too.  After nailing the Fiamms,  wait for a little and then ring the bell.   :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
i'll probably use them mostly behind "cell phone" drivers sitting at Green Lights! Should I lay on the horns or a quick beep? I guess it depends on the amount of time!?!
2 seconds=quick beep. !0 seconds = a long blow! Probably wouldn't wait more than a few seconds... unless I wanted to TEST the horns.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
The Guzzi horn wiring is too wimpy to make the horns work properly. If you buy a pair of Fiaams they usually come with a relay, mount it somewhere under the tank and run a feed say #12 direct from the battery to the 30 contact then a single wire from the 87 to each horn.
Run the existing Guzzi horn wires to the relay coil.

Dumb question: What is the “30 contact” and the “87”? Is one a relay and the other the fuse? If so, which is which?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
30 goes to fuse, positive
87 goes to horn positive
86 goes to original horn wire (my Guzzi is green wire)
85 goes to original horn wire (my Guzzi is blue wire)
Horn ground to frame
I believe all relays have same number codes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that 30, 85, 86, 87 are wires ? If so, are they labeled with theses numbers?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that 30, 85, 86, 87 are wires ? If so, are they labeled with theses numbers?

They’re the plugs on the relay that the wires attach to, and they should be labelled on the relay. On the plug & play wiring kit I got, all the wires routed into a plastic socket that the relay plugged into. Failing that, here’s a diagram and a picture of a relay that should help.

Offline motoTommaso

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »

^^^^ Great info in the posts above.  Use a relay for sure. 

I'm kind of OCD about cobby wiring and lots of visible colored crimp-on terminals.  I decided where I was going to mount my relay and then used pieces of string to mock up a small wiring harness for the horn install.  I told Joseph Scavone at www.cycleterminal.c om how long and what color each wire was to be and what sort of terminal I wanted on each end of the wires and he fabbed up a nice horn relay harness for me to my specs.  If that's too much trouble for you, he has ready made kits with different lead lengths http://www.cycleterminal.com/horn-kits.html that you can order from his website.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 11:51:22 PM »
You should check the State Laws regarding "horns" on motor vehicles.  In the state of Indiana, they are required, but illegal to use.  The law states that the only time a "horn" can be used is in an emergency situation.  But he law does not define an "emergency situation".  I would assume that using a horn to get someone's attention could be a reason to ticket the vehicle operator.   I removed the horns from my bike.  I really see no reason for them.  Less weight, more h.p. to the rear wheel. 

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
Thanks for the diagram and picture. Very helpful. Does the stock setup on my 1200 Sport have a fuse and relay? If so, I guess I replace them with new ones?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Moto

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »
You should check the State Laws regarding "horns" on motor vehicles.  In the state of Indiana, they are required, but illegal to use.  The law states that the only time a "horn" can be used is in an emergency situation.  But he law does not define an "emergency situation".  I would assume that using a horn to get someone's attention could be a reason to ticket the vehicle operator.   I removed the horns from my bike.  I really see no reason for them.  Less weight, more h.p. to the rear wheel.

Same h.p. to rear wheel. The extra burst of acceleration you feel is from the weight loss.

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »

Your going to wish you had even a whimpy horn when you are in a parking lot behind a car waiting for a spot and someone backs out of the spot next to you, all you can do is wait for their rear bumper to hit your knee. Reving an engine does not compute to car drivers as an issue. If you wear a full face helmet yelling isn`t an option.

These all in one units can make mounting easier, no air hose to route. The Wolo  I mounted on my car it is very attention getting

private image upload
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:30:45 PM by Chesterfield »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »
Using a horn to prevent being run over is an emergency situation.  Louder the better, no matter the brand.   :thumb:

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »
The key to having a good horn setup is getting adequate electrons to the horn.  That's where the relay comes into play.  The OEM wires are too small (as are the switch contacts) to send full power to aftermarket horns.  With that said, it's a good idea to use #12 wire from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the horns.  All this is wasted effort if you do not also use #12 wire from the relay to ground and horns to ground.  I'd strongly recommend running horn ground wire to a bolt on the engine case where you are sure to get a good connection.  Don't run it to the battery because you are then adding another wire to the negative terminal and thus creating one more point of failure.  It is best to have as few wires terminating on the battery as possible.

Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 06:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the diagram and picture. Very helpful. Does the stock setup on my 1200 Sport have a fuse and relay? If so, I guess I replace them with new ones?

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2007_Norge.gif The existing horn is item No (8), run those two wires to the new relay coil, usually 85 & 86 Mount the relay somewhere the wires can easily reach.
So now the original wiring just clicks the relay instead of the horn.

From the battery through an inline fuse run a #12 to terminql 30 of the relay.
From the 87 terminal of the relay run a separate wire to each of the new horns, you can make these wires a bit smaller if you like but try to use at least 14 gauge, 16 if it's not too long.

The Fiaam horns connect from +12 (relay 87) to chassis but if you want you can use the extra ground tab they supplied to make certain you get a perfect connection to chassis
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:22:32 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here