Author Topic: Traded My Norge for a Ural  (Read 5071 times)

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Traded My Norge for a Ural
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
The brakes are all linked , I think ?

Example of woogity . You know how some grocery carts have a wheel that isn't turning so the cart either wobbles or constantly pulls to one side . In Oklahoma we call that a "woogity buggy"  :laugh:

Dusty
Oh yeh we have them trolleys here too Dusty, I always seem to get one of those “woogity buggers” lol

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »
 Perrazimx14,  I had a DR650 with a Ural sidecar on it.  At 50 mph I could let go of the handlebars and it would not pull to either side on level ground.  If your toe in and lean out are correctly adjusted, you will not have side pull.
 I also had a custom saddle on it that was so good I could do a 14 hour ride without monkey butt.
 The only time I had steering problems was in STRONG side winds.  I mean strong enough that it would try to blow you out of the saddle.  On those days I would ride the Honda Aero with sidecar.  It weighed 900 lb. and was a lot lower to the ground.  I could go 60 mph and take my hands off of the bars on that one too.  On level ground and with no side winds.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 12:29:12 PM »
Just checked pricing on Urals: $16.5K is way out there for these things!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
An Ural is on deck for me... probably the only other "new" bike I'm gonna buy.  Either a gear-up or a patrol. Winter is too long up here to be stuck in a car for it's entirety, and quite frankly... a sidecar rig would be *perfect* for the driving I need to do around here between November and April.

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
On pavement or even a good dirt road the sidecar wheel drive is disabled , if not the steering gets really woogity .

Dusty

I expect that�s true, Dusty. Sorta like the original Honda 3-wheelers. Those rascals were so super-woogity, you had to raise the inside rear wheel to get them to turn.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
The steering gets messed because it's a locked differential, when the sidecar drive is engaged.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »
Oh yeh we have them trolleys here too Dusty, I always seem to get one of those �woogity buggers� lol

So a few years from now when "woogity" becomes part of the lexicon in New Zealand will I be famous there ? :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »
Well, I just wanted to know how the world looked from the slow lane :wink:.   

Weeelllll. You could have put a rig on the Norge and just stayed in first gear. 'Bout the same top speed as the Ural. :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

twowings

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
So a few years from now when "woogity" becomes part of the lexicon in New Zealand will I be famous there ? :rolleyes:

Dusty

Don't they already feature your picture down at the post office?  :cool:

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 03:10:00 PM »

Dusty
Yeh Dusty I’ll put your name on the New Years Honors list...

Sir Dusty ?

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »
Woogity is such a good woody sounding word. Kind of like Gorn. Not at all tinney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwXJsWHupg

John Henry

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
Check out this place in Gilbert, AZ - - for trikes, quads, sidecars rigs, and more!  I have not been there yet, but it is on my "must visit" list. 

I also like that "Tilting-Works" set-up....which leans!  Pretty radical!! :thumb: :1: :cool:

https://www.americanbikeandtrike.com/
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
First - Let me say - I traded in a 2007 4V.  I still have a 2011 8V parked next to the Ural.  It is faster than the Ural I have noticed.

Second - I have been riding and working on obsolete motorcycles my whole life, ain't skeerd of a Russian copy of a 1937 BMW.  If it does not shake and go "clank" I think it is just kind of boring.  The newer ones have Brembo brakes, fuel injection and Euro sourced electrics to help exorcise some of the demons of the older models.  I believe 2014 forward have the better components on them.  I thought about assembling a sidecar on a VStrom 1000 but don't have the time and Betty and I really like the funk appeal of the Ural.  The bike has disc brakes on all three wheels.  Front brakes work like a normal bike.  Rear brake operates the bike and sidecar brakes as one.  The Ural has a reverse gear, kind of nice for a 750 pound rig with you, your bride and a dog on board.  Mine came with a trenching shovel and a jerry can to tote more fuel, you can never have too much fuel.....

Took it on an 80 mile toodle yesterday and we were both laughing in our helmets - my ultimate indicator of a good bike.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »
Took it on an 80 mile toodle yesterday and we were both laughing in our helmets - my ultimate indicator of a good bike.

That's about all that is required.  :smiley: You are in it with your eyes open, and will no doubt have a good time.  :thumb:
You *have* taken a sidecar course, right?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 08:35:42 PM »
Now.. This is bad ass..  :thumb: Sweetie and I would look good on it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

twowings

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:55 PM »
It just cries out for goggles and a white scarf... :grin:

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 08:46:55 PM »
It just cries out for goggles and a white scarf... :grin:
Absolutely.. have I ever posted a picture of our rig from back in the day?  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

twowings

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »
I can't say, but anything you guys who have been here awhile post about 'back in the day' is just fine by me...

had such a blast on the MG**C website looking at all the early newsletters...back when they published member's home addresses and phone numbers (!)...what a history!

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2018, 03:32:32 AM »
Absolutely.. have I ever posted a picture of our rig from back in the day?  :smiley:

That was a looker Chuck :thumb:

ZZ

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2018, 08:28:49 AM »
The brakes are all linked , I think ?

Example of woogity . You know how some grocery carts have a wheel that isn't turning so the cart either wobbles or constantly pulls to one side . In Oklahoma we call that a "woogity buggy"  :laugh:

Dusty

So would the correct use in a correct sentence be "go in a $^£%$^ straight line you woogity buggy" as you crash into the fish counter for the second time that day?
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2018, 09:06:50 AM »
So would the correct use in a correct sentence be "go in a $^�%$^ straight line you woogity buggy" as you crash into the fish counter for the second time that day?

:laugh: :bow:

Yes .

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »
I can't say, but anything you guys who have been here awhile post about 'back in the day' is just fine by me...

had such a blast on the MG**C website looking at all the early newsletters...back when they published member's home addresses and phone numbers (!)...what a history!

Ok, here ya go.. the Jack-All hack tractor.  :smiley: A little history..The Kid found it on a local wrecking yard listing under that name as a 600 mile total. The sidecar had been hit from behind, too. I went to Pennsylvania to pick that up. The plan was for Dorcia and I to drive it the entire route of 66, so I spent a lot of time and a little money (Guzzi content) making the conversion. The Unit front end came from England, and was the first they'd ever built for a "modern" Guzzi. The car had it's own brake, plumbed into the front Gixxer master cylinder.. and *electric lean* a really nice feature.. so I could trim it hands off on about any road surface, crosswind, speed, etc. That took a lot of the work of driving a sidecar rig away. Normally, it takes a lot of upper body strength to muscle a rig around when loaded down..especially in the mountains. Bags from some turnip farmer in Texas. Oh, yeah, it had a top to keep milady out of the elements when necessary.  :wink:
Dorcia still says it was our best vacation ever. We went from Chicago to the Santa Monica pier, visited kids & grandkids, then North through redwoods, across Nevada, and many mountain roads in Colorado, including climbing Pike's Peak. Cage drives blanched as Dorcia hung out the side taking pictures. :grin: Some of them were having to change drivers as we roared by them.
Many times, I was glad I had a Guzzi drivetrain in the mountains and headwinds wound out in third gear trying to maintain decent speeds.  :smiley:
Than said, although I learned to drive one, I'm not a sidecarist, <shrug> so after a few years of it being our rally vehicle, it was sold. Fun times, though..
IMG_5475 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »
Sure was purty Chuck. I feel privileged to have been able to see it in person!

Have you kept track since selling?

John Henry

twowings

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »
What a honey, Chuck! Too bad you couldn't keep it for parades, at least!  :bow:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
Sure was purty Chuck. I feel privileged to have been able to see it in person!

Have you kept track since selling?

John Henry

Yeah, it went to Tennessee, then Wisconsin. The last time I heard from it, it was in Pennsylvania.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
I've kinda got a Ural...it has a BMW engine...my buddy Jake doesn't need Doogles as he lost his eyes a while back...:-(

https://mikeskaggs.smugmug.com/1997-BMW-Powered-Ural-Rig/

Back in 2003 these were called the Retro. I was the first customer to put one the road that year. The first guy to buy one was snow bound. So mine was the second sold, but first one on the road in the USA. Only 11 imported. Kept it ten years. Have fun!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

twowings

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
Больше водки зовут, товарищ !!   :boozing:

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2018, 06:33:46 PM »
Love the Ural sidecar and also love old Guzzi's. They can make a good pair. Here my Cali III with 1999 Ural chair attached. Still need to finish it and paint

yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
That is mighty sweet Chuck.  I have seen some beautiful Guzzi hacks but that one takes the cake.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here