Author Topic: V9 a sales failure?  (Read 17960 times)

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
Re: V9 a sales failure?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 09:28:15 AM »
I�ve yet to see one on the road. Personal taste, but not an aesthetically attractive bike like the V7. No offence meant to owners.
After 5500 miles in the last 3 weeks on the road, I have seen 2 other Guzzis. So....
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

bpreynolds

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
I owned a Roamer, a ‘14 Stone, and a V7III Stone.  Roamer got far more positive attention and compliments from cruiser folks and people who just admire motorcycles in general.  The V7s got far more positive attention from motorcycle enthusiasts, Triumph owners, etc. 

As per sales, depends on how you define sales failure.  Anyone got numbers to show for here in the States?  I would estimate not nearly as many V9s sold as V7s, but I just bet they’ve sold more V9s than they did CARC bikes on their last year of production.  I don’t suspect Guzzi will keep them in the line very long, however, as I figure they were hoping it would take off like the V7 did. 

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
In NYC I see Guzzi's all the time(in season), at least every few days I see one being ridden or parked and they are not the same bike, but they are almost all V7's in various designs.  Roamer's, never seen one on the road or parked.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:32:50 AM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

bpreynolds

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
In NYC I see Guzzi's all the time(in season), at least every few days I either see one being ridden or parked and they are not the same bike, but they are almost all V7's in various designs.  Roamer's, never seen one on the road or parked.

All the more reason I personally would want one.  Can’t argue with subjectivity but I suppose I’m in the vast, vast minority here when IMHO my former Roamer is/was prettier than my V7s in the flesh, but then again, I think Sportsters are gorgeous.  So...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Slightly off topic.  But Pete said he was not a total small block hater, and that there were aspects of them that he really liked.

I’m curious.  What do you like about the small blocks, Pete?

FYI, I am stealing “rat sandwiches”.    Did not get the stale DA thing.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »
The v9 is certainly not discordant with Guzzi past. The Nevada and other similar cycles sold only in Europe and elsewhere kept Guzy of float through much of the lien 80s and 90s.  They sold a far more of these lovable work horses live they ever did any of Le Mans or even California models.

I find the bike kind of cool, and many of you ripping on it  have yet to see one on the road.   You might find it's not the abomination you think it is once you see one up close

I’ve sat on one.  Not my cup of espresso.  It’s good that you like it though.  Maybe when they’re on CL for 3k in a few years you’ll buy one?

bpreynolds

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »
I�ve sat on one.  Not my cup of espresso.  It�s good that you like it though.  Maybe when they�re on CL for 3k in a few years you�ll buy one?

Probably too much competition from the $2500 Guzzis on Clist now  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »
Ride any new Ducati, other than the Scrambler, and you will answer your own question.
That answer is a bit too glib.
The opportunity to put an MGS on the road does not exist so there is no choice to be made.
The suggestion is, that there'd be a considerable percentage that would break out of the mould and buy one.
Why would anyone buy a rattly old Griso as a "sports" bike when there are BMW 1000 RR's to be had and Aprilia RSV 1000's etc...
They buy the crappy old Guzzi, because they want a GUZZI...!
Every cashed up, Nike wearing, perfume laden hipster these days, rolls into Chapel St (trendy district), in Melbourne on warm Saturday evenings to show off their 4 year old, 2,500 km Panigale or Testastretta for a toss over a cappuccino while everyone fawns around.
The Guzzi is a sportsbike riders bike, they're more ballsy.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
The v9 is certainly not discordant with Guzzi past. The Nevada and other similar cycles sold only in Europe and elsewhere kept Guzy of float through much of the lien 80s and 90s.  They sold a far more of these lovable work horses live they ever did any of Le Mans or even California models.

I find the bike kind of cool, and many of you ripping on it  have yet to see one on the road.   You might find it's not the abomination you think it is once you see one up close
Only reason it's cool is 'cos it's never started.
I'd sooner buy a lawnmower.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
I I likely won't buy one  even for 3K. I test rode one when they first came out enjoyed it but I'm 66 and is just too small for me    I go back-and-forth on at styling I just don't have a viceral dislike for it like some folks seem to.   I agree I don't think it's a hot seller for Guzzi , but it is hard to figure out what they're selling but the V7 seems to move pretty well.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
I think a lot of the not so nice reviews has to do with us old goats not wanting to accept modern technology. I rode HD's shovels and pans forever still have them. Nobody in my group even liked the evo's when they came out. I'm all for ride what you like and enjoy. Everybody has there on opinion. That's what makes the world go round.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

pete roper

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »

I�m curious.  What do you like about the small blocks, Pete?

FYI, I am stealing �rat sandwiches�.    Did not get the stale DA thing.

Their light weight, compactness, flat torque curve and with the advent of the II their gearbox. What I can’t stand is their terrible suspension, forty year old frame design, barely adequate brakes, (HH pads sort that easy enough.) and pissy little MUIG 3 TB/ECU.

Oh, and DA was a horrible beer. Resches ‘Dinner Ale’. Nobody liked it so if you went somewhere where there was the option for a drink the DA always used to be ‘The last turkey in the shop’! :laugh:

Pete

bpreynolds

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
Against the wishes of my back and my accountant, you boys almost got me ready to buy another one.  :thumb: :afro: :grin:

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »
My understanding was the Roamer and Bobber were build at the request of the UK distributor.
That said, the V7 just looks "proper" which is, I believe, a good portion of the sales success.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline gentlemanjim

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
Well said

They  (V9s) seem to answer a question that was not asked..... :grin:

Offline triman023

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
Went for a ride today out to Writewood by the back way then came home on the Angeles Crest Highway. I stopped my Griso for a drink of water and to get rid of some water and saw a Stone, V9 and a Roamer whoosh past. First time I have ever seen so many Guzzis on the road at one time. They were moving along at a good clip too. Made my day...

Offline DanD

• New Egg
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
I really wanted to like the roamer but the revised foot peg position position placed my knees in direct contact with the heads.

And no,   I'm not going to ride around with my knees splayed to clear the heads.

Had Guzzi skipped the rake,  gave it good and taller suspension,  and placed the pegs 8 inches aft, I'd have had a yellow roamer.
2013 Yamaha WR250
2013 Husqvarna TR650
2016 NTX

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Offline Jackr

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »
I bought a V9 Roamer a couple of years ago when they became available. I see on this thread the words most associated with these bike are words such as lousy, stupid, ugly, ratty, crappy, discordant, and hate. These words surprise me because the V9 is just a little old 850 that breaks the mold a bit, but my oh my does it stir up the negativity. I get it - that’s the nature of chat sites.

As a long-time Guzzi owner/rider, mostly large block Calis, I must say my V9 has been a pleasure for me. I have about 30k miles on it and am just getting going on the summer riding season. I find my V9 to be a fine canyon carver, both corkscrews and sweepers. I also ride long distance for camping and rallying, and the bike has performed beautifully for me. It feels light, athletic, and peppy, with good torque all the way through. The V9 is no big block, as has been pointed out, and it will not win many races with its same size brethren of any badge. Fortunately for me I am not a racer; for me fun remains the key to my motorcycling experience. In that respect my V9 fits the bill. I find mine to be a fine all-rounder. Some hear that and interpret that to mean it does nothing well. For me this bike works on many levels. For a fellow like me, the pitiful V9 feels just right.

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »
The V85 motor will likely end up in a V7-styled bike -- hopefully

and vice-versa

I'd buy a Roamer with a V-7 motor … That little funky looking tank need help though !
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline timax

• New Egg
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2018, 08:06:54 PM »

That said, the V7 just looks "proper" which is, I believe, a good portion of the sales success.
Exactly, so why not do what Triumph did with their Bonny 120 and not change too much of a good thing but just do a high power version thats a bit bigger. Ducati did the same with there Monster also. Actually thinking about it even the GS 650-800-1200 ,KTM 990-1290 and duke scrambler  all look similar to each other within the range.
I have a problem that i would like a bigger bike for 2 up touring. The V7 is a little tight for us. If they did a bigger version i could have as a tourer and then "cafe" my 750 again like Triumph did then that could be perfect. The Bigger Guzzis i just dont like the look of and never have.

Only a lame , underpowered piece of shit V7ll with a fake scrambler makeover  not really worthy of a Guzzi badge but its mine and i love it!

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »
I'm sure i won't win many friends,  but, man you guys get really tiring.

Complain about everything Guzzi does; and buy a new Guzzi for anything Remotely close to msrp, not a chance.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

pete roper

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 02:37:11 AM »
I bought a V9 Roamer a couple of years ago when they became available. I see on this thread the words most associated with these bike are words such as lousy, stupid, ugly, ratty, crappy, discordant, and hate. These words surprise me because the V9 is just a little old 850 that breaks the mold a bit, but my oh my does it stir up the negativity. I get it - that�s the nature of chat sites.

As a long-time Guzzi owner/rider, mostly large block Calis, I must say my V9 has been a pleasure for me. I have about 30k miles on it and am just getting going on the summer riding season. I find my V9 to be a fine canyon carver, both corkscrews and sweepers. I also ride long distance for camping and rallying, and the bike has performed beautifully for me. It feels light, athletic, and peppy, with good torque all the way through. The V9 is no big block, as has been pointed out, and it will not win many races with its same size brethren of any badge. Fortunately for me I am not a racer; for me fun remains the key to my motorcycling experience. In that respect my V9 fits the bill. I find mine to be a fine all-rounder. Some hear that and interpret that to mean it does nothing well. For me this bike works on many levels. For a fellow like me, the pitiful V9 feels just right.

I don’t think anyone said it was pitiful! They just said it was unpopular and listed reasons why that might be so! I for one am overjoyed you like your Roamer but most people, especially over here, won’t look twice at them and prefer the V7’s. That’s all.

Offline timax

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:27 AM »

Complain about everything Guzzi does; and buy a new Guzzi for anything Remotely close to msrp, not a chance.
Im having a winge about them because i care. I love my Guzzi and want to see the company do well and continue to make desirable bikes. Desirable to non Guzzi people that is.
Only a lame , underpowered piece of shit V7ll with a fake scrambler makeover  not really worthy of a Guzzi badge but its mine and i love it!

Offline Smithy

• New Egg
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2018, 05:02:45 AM »
I bought a V9 Roamer a couple of years ago when they became available. I see on this thread the words most associated with these bike are words such as lousy, stupid, ugly, ratty, crappy, discordant, and hate. These words surprise me because the V9 is just a little old 850 that breaks the mold a bit, but my oh my does it stir up the negativity. I get it - that�s the nature of chat sites.

Looks great in yellow and with the bags.
2021 BMW GS 1250
2015 California Custom - Sold
1976 KTM Jackpiner
1929 Rudge 500

Offline Smithy

• New Egg
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2018, 05:12:11 AM »
The original price here had it too close to the BMW nine T range and Triumph retros. Add in less dealers and funky styling and it was always going to struggle.
The fact there are hardly any on the road and not well known appeals to me.
2021 BMW GS 1250
2015 California Custom - Sold
1976 KTM Jackpiner
1929 Rudge 500

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »
I agree with jackr.
If you've only seen a picture and/or not really ridden one for more than a 10 minute test, you don’t know the V9. (true for most bikes I’ve found)
In person it is much better looking for sure.
With aft pegs a much better seating position.
Great motor, better than the V7 imho and I have had 3......
IF you’re considering one, take a LONG ride or better yet, several rides.
If not your cup of tea, no worries but don't rain on others parades please.
Hey I still wave at scooters and Harley riders though so what do I know

RideOn!
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

bpreynolds

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »

:1: :1: :1:
But Chad, if Guzzi would have only built one specifically for me.  :grin:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »

If you've only seen a picture and/or not really ridden one for more than a 10 minute test, you don�t know the V9. (true for most bikes I�ve found)

IF you�re considering one, take a LONG ride or better yet, several rides.
If not your cup of tea, no worries but don't rain on others parades please

RideOn!
inditx
Probably a fair point..

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2018, 09:03:22 AM »
Weren’t the V9s designed in California?
Enough said.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:42:59 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »

I purchased a new Rosso Corsa, Norge and tried to buy a new MGS/01 but the local dealer couldn't deliver the bike.  Personally, I don't like the California series because of the styling and the size, I don't like the Roamer because of the styling and while I do like the V7 series it's not a bike I need right now given the big block Tonti's that I own, but if that changed I'd buy a new V7 because I like the styling.

The V7 series is their best seller and I understand why they tried the Roamer, but sales have not been brisk for that bike, so it's time to move on.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here