Author Topic: Honda all in with auto trans bikes  (Read 6014 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Honda all in with auto trans bikes
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:29:18 AM »
Honda has a full line up of automatic shift bikes. All the fun with no leaking boiling fluid.  :afro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslVm_Eb8FI
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:29:42 AM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Honda all in with auto trans bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:03:52 AM »
Honda has now fully embraced utilitarian commuter motorcycling. 

In other words.  BORING! 

For me, Motorcycles, Sport Cars, and Jeeps need to be manual transmissions or why bother.  I want to be engaged and in control.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
For me, Motorcycles, Sport Cars, and Jeeps need to be manual transmissions or why bother.  I want to be engaged and in control.
[/quote]

Ditto!
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:44:54 AM »

In other words.  BORING! 

Not for me... but I say the thing about all automobiles.

However, my preference for a clutch has had ZERO effect on the prevalence of automatic autos. It'll be the same deal here. Meh, if it gets more bikes on the road? Then good. I'll stick to my manual trans until they're legislated out of existence. But, good for Honda. Love 'em or hate 'em… they make quality stuff, and they're always at the forefront of advancement, even if it's a bit dull.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:44:54 AM »

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »

In other words.  BORING! 

Of my seven bikes, two are auto (Convert and Burgman Scooter).  I find it makes ZERO difference to my enjoyment of riding. I'm just as 'in control' and they just as enjoyable to ride - just different.

Nick

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
Go ride one if you haven’t, they are actually a lot of fun.
Now I’m not saying give up the manuals as I like shifting too but if you’re commuting or just day cruising around, it is smooth and extremely fuel efficient. You just pay more attention to the road and the surrounds imho.

My .02
inditx
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:58:32 AM by inditx »
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
 :thumb:
Of my seven bikes, two are auto (Convert and Burgman Scooter).  I find it makes ZERO difference to my enjoyment of riding. I'm just as 'in control' and they just as enjoyable to ride - just different.

Nick

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »

Nick

:thumb:
Charlie

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
The performance differences between manual and automatic transmissions is getting blurrier all the time. Look at the emergence of paddle shifters in cars or shift-assist or dual-clutch systems in bikes. There will come a time when these devices will be preferred. The shift-assist on my BMW is pretty amazing...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »
The performance differences between manual and automatic transmissions is getting blurrier all the time. Look at the emergence of paddle shifters in cars or shift-assist or dual-clutch systems in bikes. There will come a time when these devices will be preferred. The shift-assist on my BMW is pretty amazing...

it's never been about "performance" for me, not in the standard sense of the word anyways. I just find that standard transmissions allow me more control and adaptation to road conditions (ice, mud, etc), plus give me more of that tactile "feel" that makes me "feel" connected to what I'm doing, without getting into the fine details of opinion over fact. Standard transmissions just give me more "fun" is all.

That said, On the "fun scale", ripping around Greece on Vespas rates pretty damn high on the giggle scale.

And in larger cities, stop and go traffic? The benefits of an auto can't be overstated.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
it's never been about "performance" for me, not in the standard sense of the word anyways. I just find that standard transmissions allow me more control and adaptation to road conditions (ice, mud, etc), plus give me more of that tactile "feel" that makes me "feel" connected to what I'm doing, without getting into the fine details of opinion over fact. Standard transmissions just give me more "fun" is all.

That said, On the "fun scale", ripping around Greece on Vespas rates pretty damn high on the giggle scale.

And in larger cities, stop and go traffic? The benefits of an auto can't be overstated.

You can't lump all automatics into one category, IMO. The Convert is a totally different riding experience than any CVT or DCT automatic. I find it gives me more control on loose surfaces than a manual transmission Guzzi. Plenty of feel as to what's going on.

It's not just "larger cities" where a Convert shines either - anywhere there's stop and go, be it downtown Winchester, VA or the stuck in traffic on I-66, they're the "bee's knees". Great on backroads too.
Charlie

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »
Go ride one if you haven’t, they are actually a lot of fun.
Now I’m not saying give up the manuals as I like shifting too but if you’re commuting or just day cruising around, it is smooth and extremely fuel efficient. You just pay more attention to the road and the surrounds imho.

My .02
inditx

Shifting is natural for me and doesn't take away from me paying attention to the road and surroundings.  I don't have to look to shift.  Shifting does allow me to be in the right gear for what my brain is interpreting as opposed to the bike shifting because I reacted to something.  For instance, when riding in traffic I stay in a lower gear to give me more instantaneous acceleration or engine braking as needed for quicker reaction time.

I've tried a few automatic bikes.  I've tried automatic sports cars and Jeeps as well.  No thank you.  Just not for me.  If other want them that is fine. 

An automatic never provides the same level of control as a manual unless you are forcing it to hold gears through a manual override like paddle shifters etc.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »
 If shifting is a distraction you should not be riding..or driving a car.... :evil:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:29 PM »

It's not just "larger cities" where a Convert shines either - anywhere there's stop and go, be it downtown Winchester, VA or the stuck in traffic on I-66, they're the "bee's knees".

I can count those times on one hand in over 300,000 miles of riding, but I understand your point. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
*Sigh*. Shifting (at least on anything fairly modern) is natural to me as well, most of my vehicles in the past 40 years have been manual shift. No, shifting doesn't "take away from me paying attention to the road and surroundings" and I don't "have to look to shift" either. 

Believe it or not, there are motorcycles that don't shift all that well and require quite a bit of concentration, sometimes the ratios aren't quite spread well either. So, one might find them-self shifting up and down, up and down trying to find the "right gear". Not so much fun if it's a "clunky" gearbox. With a Convert, you're in the right gear all of the time.  :wink:   

To me, when this subject comes up and all of the "I would never ride an automatic" comments start, it just sounds like macho BS to me. "A real man doesn't ride (or drive) an automatic".  :rolleyes:
Charlie

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »
I loved riding my Convert. It made me pay more attention to cornering, since it had no compression braking to rely on like a manual. I'm a "slow down and smell the roses" type of rider, and the Convert was the perfect platform to just cruise and watch the scenery roll by. It was also an excellent tug for sidecar. Yes I enjoy shifting. My legs are not what they were, and I'm cool not needing to shift, as well.

Here is Honda's not quite disguised commercial for DCT:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQxq5rMMFE   It's almost too stereotypical, but you get the idea: Automatics ain't for lightweights anymore.... :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
*Sigh*. Shifting (at least on anything fairly modern) is natural to me as well, most of my vehicles in the past 40 years have been manual shift. No, shifting doesn't "take away from me paying attention to the road and surroundings" and I don't "have to look to shift" either. 

Believe it or not, there are motorcycles that don't shift all that well and require quite a bit of concentration, sometimes the ratios aren't quite spread well either. So, one might find them-self shifting up and down, up and down trying to find the "right gear". Not so much fun if it's a "clunky" gearbox. With a Convert, you're in the right gear all of the time.  :wink:   

To me, when this subject comes up and all of the "I would never ride an automatic" comments start, it just sounds like macho BS to me. "A real man doesn't ride (or drive) an automatic".  :rolleyes:

or... maybe... just maybe... people just enjoy what they enjoy? I wanna stab people who put steak sauce on a good steak, or salt their food before tasting it...

it's not about "macho B.S."... and I haven't seen anyone say that "real men don't drive automatics"... I just like my standards more than I like autos. It's literally no more than that.  Now, go put ketchup on your Ribeye.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »
Unless you are one of those weirdo's that never leave the city, most motorcycles spend most of their riding time in top gear so how it got there is not that cosmic.

Where I live, 3rd and 4th gear on my Sport 1100 get most of the use.  Sure, 5th has seen many highway miles, but on an average ride here in The Ozark Mountains, it's not used.

I currently have a Ford Fusion SEL V6 sedan.  6-speed automatic transmission that's actually pretty good.  Gearing and programming is just right for the engine's personality.  Still, I find my hand resting on the console-mounted gear shifter, wishing it was a manual.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »

Nick

Further to my own comments, I should add that I dislike automatic transmissions in four wheeled vehicles. Cars and trucks are deeply boring anyway, and automatic transmission just make it worse. They are slightly improved with standard gearshifts - but not much. On bikes, it's an entirely different issue. Other opinions may differ (although they would be wrong :evil:).

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
So unless motorcycling is painted with YOUR brush it's wrong?  This topic is the largest concentration of snobbery I've seen since the last Harley bash.  Y'all whine and moan that motorcycling is dying, then those same whiners bitch about mfgrs trying ____________ (<---insert "electric", "auto", "injected" "3-wheel", or whatever else frightens you here) to rekindle interest in riding.  I'll posit that the snobs have more to do with the decline of biking than the economy does.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »
There are applications where a torque converter is far more user-friendly than a clutch -- horsing a heavy boat trailer up and down a slick launching ramp comes to mind. And if I lived on a steep San Francisco hill I might want an autotrans motorcycle.

That said, Honda's new transmission philosophy isn't aimed at us. It's aimed at (shiftless) Millenials and new Asian riders who've never learned to operate ANY clutch-equipped vehicle.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
So unless motorcycling is painted with YOUR brush it's wrong?  This topic is the largest concentration of snobbery I've seen since the last Harley bash.  Y'all whine and moan that motorcycling is dying, then those same whiners bitch about mfgrs trying ____________ (<---insert "electric", "auto", "injected" "3-wheel", or whatever else frightens you here) to rekindle interest in riding.  I'll posit that the snobs have more to do with the decline of biking than the economy does.

You new to this forum?  :grin: Yes we are snobs...And perhaps traditional motorcycling is dying...And , in my opinion, self shifting and electric bikes will hasten the demise...Trikes are not bikes and are in a class by themselves..

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 04:39:30 PM »
Oh my, just ride what you like and like what you ride.
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »

In other words.  BORING! 

Agreed!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
let Honda to take half the fun outta ridin'.

My cars are sticks too.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »

In other words.  BORING! 

For me, Motorcycles, Sport Cars, Kenworths and Jeeps need to be manual transmissions or why bother.  I want to be engaged and in control.

This feller is very engaged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »
Unless you are one of those weirdo's that never leave the city, most motorcycles spend most of their riding time in top gear so how it got there is not that cosmic.

DCT once you get used to it and trust it (a lot of people it seems either do not understand what it is (not an automatic, not a scooter or can not think beyond a conventional foot shift transmission)

To get the most from a DCT you need to forget what you think you knew, the internet is full of stories of folk who never rode one but love to tell the uninformed how bad they are.
Yer those DCT automatic scooter bikes with the torque converter CTV.

I can tell you from real world experience, when you put the DCT hammer down and start tapping those paddles, a manual version is as exciting as a wet noodle.
Grow old but not at the cost of becoming narrow minded.

I don't ride in the city and avoid the interstates.  On the V7III I rarely get into 6th gear.  Seems I have to be at 65 mph for it to not feel like it is lugging.  Maybe when it hits the 10,000 mile break in I will be able to cruise in 6th at 60. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »

I am not saying that at all.  I limited it to motorcycles, sport cars and Jeeps.  It is part of the experience to me.

I have a 2500HD truck with an automatic for heavy towing, a Mid Size truck with automatic for light towing, and a Buick with automatic for commuting.  I do wish the Buick was a manual though because that turbo sure is fun!
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 07:51:09 AM »
This feller is very engaged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g

The last couple of Kenworths I drove had Allison automatics with retarders (that change the transmission vanes pitch) for controlling speed downhill. it sure was an big improvement on the old thirteen-speeds...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »
 Come on guys,we are men.....fast forward 5:48 to see a real cigar smoking man shift a car.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3cnc-77ZE

Another one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWo12CZwYtg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:06:08 AM by Rough Edge racing »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here