Author Topic: The Mule - Clint Eastwood's latest flick (NGC)  (Read 8848 times)

oldbike54

Re: The Mule - Clint Eastwood's latest flick (NGC)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 08:20:40 PM »
 Pabst must have paid him well for that , he was an "Oly" man .

You guys are aware that all of those lines Clint is so famous for were actually written by a script writer , right ?

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »
Pabst must have paid him well for that , he was an "Oly" man .

You guys are aware that all of those lines Clint is so famous for were actually written by a script writer , right ?

Dusty

No shit Sherlock
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 09:09:41 PM »
No shit Sherlock

So , W/O googlefu , can anyone name the writers who wrote those iconic lines ?

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 09:25:14 PM »
.  Not humor or sad. Just a good story about an old man getting by. I make a point to see every movie Mr. Eastwood makes on the big screen in support and have a Rowdy Yates tatoo on my_________. Kevin Spacey???  Can I have a
Good waterboarding instead???

You can water board,  I'll scotch board.   :boozing:

Keyser?  Keyser Soze?   :evil:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:27:53 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 09:25:14 PM »

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 09:51:24 PM »
Guess I'll have to go see it, not that I wouldn't eventually.

I'll bet not all those lines Clint uttered were written for him. Sometimes  actors get into the role and stuff like that just comes out on its own.

It also takes a certain presence to make those lines work as well. Reminds me of a story about John Wayne. A young actor said something to John that went kinda like "...looks like it's easy - all I have to do is talk slow." Wayne's reply " That's the hard part."

I've only seen Josie once or maybe twice. It was good, alright, but the book was better. The Vengeance Trail of Josie Wales, and Gone to Texas. And if you haven't read the author's two other books, you should. I've read all of them numerous times - probably four or five. The other two are Watch for Me on the Mountain (about Geronimo), and The Education of Little Tree.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
Good call on the books by the author!  An excellent writer...very enjoyable.  There were some items I learned about while reading the Josey Wales books that I didn’t know were specified in the book, a nice complement in my view.

Aside from all of the other Clint movies mentioned above,  I also really like Kelly’s Heroes, The Eiger Sanction and Where Eagles Dare...all movies with great casts!

The Prague Philharmonic also has wonderful recordings of Ennio Morricones movie scores...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:31:54 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 10:22:07 PM »
 A couple of Finks wrote the original Dirty Harry .

Dusty

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 03:11:34 AM »
Doubt it could beat Two Mules for Sister Sara. Clint and Shirley MacLaine at their best.

That was the best movie :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »
I think I'll see it today.

Not many good movies lately.  The last really good movie I saw was "The Death of Stalin" and that's been a year ago.  It's on cable now.  Hilarity and horror at once.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:30:41 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »

I read that for The Mule, the directors intentionally did NOT try to pretty Clint up to look any younger.

I have to be an Eastwood fan.  I'm about 15 yrs younger than Clint, and from about age 20, I started fairly regularly having people - strangers as well as friends - comment about how I looked like him, aside from being about 4 or 5 inches shorter.  I even had an Egyptian soldier in Cairo tell me I looked like "East."  I had him repeat it 3 times because I had no clue what he was talking about, but the 3rd time he said "You know! Clint East!"  I never could really see it (except for a similarity in our squints) but, when I was younger, I secretly hoped it was true because it couldn't hurt on the dating scene.  Now, not so much!
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
I think this might be the best Clint movie without horses and boots.  I appreciated that he did a little bit of accent and mannerism to his old white guy shtick.  I was thinking it might be another dramatic and tragic movie but instead it was funny if a little bittersweet.

Also, my grandparents would go to the annual national lily shows back in the '60s.

Best movie I've seen in a while.
John L 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »
I think this might be the best Clint movie without horses and boots.  I appreciated that he did a little bit of accent and mannerism to his old white guy shtick.  I was thinking it might be another dramatic and tragic movie but instead it was funny if a little bittersweet.

Also, my grandparents would go to the annual national lily shows back in the '60s.

Best movie I've seen in a while.

Glad you liked it, did you see the last one with the FORD?

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
I didn't care for Grand Torino, it was dark and bigoted, IMO.  I was hesitant to see the Mule because I thought it would be like that one based on the ads.

It was "bigoted", maybe to a somewhat exaggerated and unrealistic degree.  That theme was a bit overdone.  However, at the time it was released I was a regular customer at a Lao restaurant near my office & the staff there LOVED the movie.  They uniformly could identify with the cultural touches and with the problems of young Laos growing up in the US, both within the family and with "outsiders".  I found that interesting because I had thought that the treatment of the Lao community's customs and interactions was probably a bit exaggerated, too.  I was assured that the picture's treatment was pretty much spot on (which is pretty unusual for anything from Hollywood!).
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 08:57:55 PM »
As far as the "bigotry" goes, apparently some of you never worked in an industrial setting in the 20th century, where many nationalities worked together doing dirty dangerous work. What a sensitive person might call an ethnic slur is what we commonly called each other. With absolutely no offense meant nor taken. In many cases you relied on these men with your lives, and a close bond was formed. Ethnic nicknames were a badge of honor. Eastwood undoubtedly studied such men before taking on various roles. Men in the oil patch, steelworkers, infantrymen, laborers.  Real life. Not cloistered campus censorship.  :grin:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:58:07 AM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 06:21:08 AM »
Eastwood is in my opinion among the best American filmmakers. I make a point of seeing his movies on release.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
As far as the "bigotry" goes, apparently some of you never worked in an industrial setting in the 20th century, where many nationalities worked together doing dirty dangerous work. What a sensitive person might call an ethnic slur is what we commonly called each other. With absolutely no offense meant nor taken. In many cases you relied on these men with your lives, and a close bond was formed. Ethnic nicknames were a badge of honor. Eastwood undoubtedly studied such men before taking on various roles. Men in the oil patch, steelworkers, infantrymen, laborers.  Real life. Not cloistered campus censorship.  :grin:

Well said shorty. We’ve gotten very over sensitive. I thought the movie portrayed a typical grumpy old fart. That’s part of the story.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 06:43:58 AM »
And if you watched Grand Torino, racist Clint character, came to help the neighbors.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:31 AM »
Bigoted? Ever heard of MS13? It was exactly how many neighborhoods in this country are divided by race and nationality. The message I got was that an old man, sat in his ways, learned to put his  prejudices aside and love his fellow man to the point of dying for them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:02:29 AM by Ncdan »

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »
Go on YouTube and search for Toby Keith Don't Let The Old Man In".  I can't figure out how to insert an email I got from a friend about this, but it contained a story that supposedly Toby got the idea for a song from a conversation he had with Clint on the golf course just before Clint started shooting the movie (The Mule), at 88 years of age.  Toby asked Clint how he had the energy to take on new projects like that, & Clint replied "Don't let the old man in".  Unsolicited, Toby wrote the song & submitted it for consideration in connection with the project.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I get the impression that it was used in the soundtrack of the film.

JC

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
Should have been "Ok all you Asian- Americans, lets all gather in a circle, hold hands and sing KUM BY YA"  "come on fellas"  :grin: :grin:

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
The author that wrote Gone to Texas, Forest Carter, was honored for his accurate portrayal of various indigenous peoples. then they found out that he was a speech writer for George Wallace...........  this is not to be taken as political, please, just history
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:03:01 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »
OK, name a Clint Eastwood movie you didn't like  :shocked:
…. And a hush fell over the crowd.  :grin:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »

Not a big fan of Bridges of Madison County, But the bridges are cool to go see, also near the birthplace of another idol of American youth and all around good 'ol boy John Wayne (Winterset Iowa)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:27:26 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »
Not a big fan of Bridges of Madison County, But the bridges are cool to go see, also near another idol of American youth and all around good 'ol boy John Wayne (Winterset Iowa)
I didn't see that one

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2019, 12:14:33 PM »

The Gauntlet
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »
I watched the Mule, last weekend. Excellent movie, Eastwood at his best. The "homies" where the old man went to pick up the merchandise, looked , spoke,and acted exactly like  some of the guys I dealt with on a daily basis when I worked for the Arizona dept. of Corrections. They did not look like MS 13, but run of the mill Mexican Mafia, or "EME".actually they looked like a group known as the  "Nortenos".
  Every prison tat tells a story, and has a very specific meaning in their world. It seems to me they researched the subject very well, and made the movie very realistic.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »
 Fellas , maybe we can avoid the social commentary , thanks .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2019, 02:21:52 PM »
Beguiled was another interesting one of his...

i have to agree...Bridges of Madison County was not my cup of tea, but I'm not a fan of Meryl Streep.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:47:36 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
Beguiled was another interesting one of his...

i have to agree...Bridges of Madison County was not my cup of tea, but I'm not a fan of Merrill Streep.

Merrill --- can't stand her either.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here