Author Topic: Back When Men Were Men...  (Read 7050 times)

oldbike54

Re: Back When Men Were Men...
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 03:24:51 PM »
Yeah, OK. You think in 57 years from now someone will be saying, Gee, I wish I could buy a Nissan like yours still? 🤣

Dunno , my neighbor keeps trying to buy it from me for way more than Gliderjohn sold it to me for . Remember , it was only a few years ago that hardbody Nissans were incredibly popular with young folks . Heck , can't think of the last time a '50's vintage PU came cruising by . I do know where a '55 Chevy A body has been sitting for years , it did run when parked , it just wouldn't stop when you wanted it to  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 03:29:50 PM »
Wow, talk about style over substance!

I grew up with trucks like that, most of my early driving beside lessons was on big Ford flatbeds with flatheads. I had a 56 Chevy half ton, too. Learned how to repair damned near everything on Land Rovers.

Now consider that those flathead Fords were only 20-25 years old, and my first Land Rover was only 20 years old when I bought it. And most normal folks would have thought they were clapped out even then.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
Dunno , my neighbor keeps trying to buy it from me for way more than Gliderjohn sold it to me for . Remember , it was only a few years ago that hardbody Nissans were incredibly popular with young folks . Heck , can't think of the last time a '50's vintage PU came cruising by . I do know where a '55 Chevy A body has been sitting for years , it did run when parked , it just wouldn't stop when you wanted it to  :shocked:

Dusty
Yeah I'm sure it a mighty fine little truck. And if you chained it back to back with that GMC the sparks it would leave from being dragged down the road would be real purty.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:37:26 PM by yogidozer »

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »
Wow, talk about style over substance!

I grew up with trucks like that, most of my early driving beside lessons was on big Ford flatbeds with flatheads. I had a 56 Chevy half ton, too. Learned how to repair damned near everything on Land Rovers.

Now consider that those flathead Fords were only 20-25 years old, and my first Land Rover was only 20 years old when I bought it. And most normal folks would have thought they were clapped out even then.

My first car was a 1950 Plymouth Club Coupe , it was only 19 years old when it came to me . The thing was ancient , carb float was stuck every morning , brakes were shot , it wandered around on the road like an armadillo searching for grubs , it leaked when it rained , and the exhaust system fell off . It had 70,000 miles on the odo . The Nissan PU is now 22 years old , 125 K miles , and doesn't feel old at all .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
My first car was a 1950 Plymouth Club Coupe , it was only 19 years old when it came to me . The thing was ancient , carb float was stuck every morning , brakes were shot , it wandered around on the road like an armadillo searching for grubs , it leaked when it rained , and the exhaust system fell off . It had 70,000 miles on the odo . The Nissan PU is now 22 years old , 125 K miles , and doesn't feel old at all .

Dusty
Do nightmares keep you awake at night?  :shocked:

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
Think I was about 12 when my father showed me how to repair carbs.
At 14 I worked in a garage doing brake jobs, oil changes, tune ups, etc.
Those older cars were REAL complicated.

twowings

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
Man I don't know , having driven those old trucks fro, 1970 until about 1981 , there is know way I am going back to those things with no brakes , no A/C , windshield wipers that only kinda work , rag joints in the steering mechanism that when worn out make the steering , er , vague , ball joints that pop out , tie rod end that break (I have a story about that) , and rode like a buck board .

Oh , forgot to mention how the shift linkages would stick in one gear requiring a blow from a hammer . Yep , the good old days .

Dusty

Yeah, bummer, cupcake....you'll have to put your cell phone and latte down and untie your man-bun to drive this baby!  :laugh:

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »
My ranch truck is a '69 international 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive pickup with a compound low gear and 411 rear. I rarely drive it very far on public roads as it gets about 9 or 10 mpg at 65 mph. (392 V8 and has 2 big gas tanks).

Its part of the family. Very usefull in the bush.

:-)
A friend of mine had that same truck! It was a beast  :grin:
No one pulled out in front of him, that's for sure!

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 04:06:57 PM »
Yeah, bummer, cupcake....you'll have to put your cell phone and latte down and untie your man-bun to drive this baby!  :laugh:
We better stop, Dusty's face is getting red  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:08:24 PM by yogidozer »

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 04:17:20 PM »
I like looking at old vehicles... :grin:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
Do nightmares keep you awake at night?  :shocked:

No , but that '50 Plymouth did , in fact I had to sleep in it once during a really bad T storm because the ignition system drowned . I coasted to a stop and laid the seat back ,because we weren't going anywhere .

Then there was a 1956 Chevy PU , 265 V8 , 3 on the tree , manual everything , including at times the method of starting it . Let' see , carry the 1 , it was only 15 years old with about 50K on the odo . Where to begin , hmm , well , an axle broke going about 45 MPH , felt something , then heard something , looked in a side mirror and the left side rear wheel and tire seemed to be sticking out more than usual  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 04:19:46 PM »
 hmm , well , an axle broke going about 45 MPH , felt something , then heard something , looked in a side mirror and the left side rear wheel and tire seemed to be sticking out more than usual 
Yeah, who put that boulder in the middle of the road?  :shocked:

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »
I'll keep my American made Truck ;-)  :evil:

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 07:52:07 PM »
This geezer Americun Male Ride.....a different kind of haulin'

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »
I can't get my head around buying a new truck that costs more than the house I grew up in.

I can't either :cry:

But I did buy a 2014 F150. I may reply with some of the things of my 1962 F100 262 6cyl with 4 speed with granny first. Talk about patina.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 09:00:55 PM »
Think I was about 12 when my father showed me how to repair carbs.
At 14 I worked in a garage doing brake jobs, oil changes, tune ups, etc.
Those older cars were REAL complicated.
I have driven an enormous amount of miles over the 30 years of my business. Never once had to fix fuel injection. Or points, plugs, grease the suspension..

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »
I have driven an enormous amount of miles over the 30 years of my business. Never once had to fix fuel injection. Or points, plugs, grease the suspension..
Great, that leaves you plenty of time to play with your x box.  :wink:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:41:04 PM by yogidozer »

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 03:53:09 AM »
Nice!  I leaned more Ford, or Dodge, but I do really miss the old real trucks... that reminds me... I really need to dig out the old 74 powerwagon I got sitting out back....

Down in the Antarctic 1971 / 72 season , the Americans at McMurdo station used to drive Dodge Power wagons with big balloon tyres - I think we had one at Scott base as well. They seemed to be a good truck back then.

My old dad always said "If you can't afford a Dodge - dodge a Ford"

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 05:12:41 AM »
Down in the Antarctic 1971 / 72 season , the Americans at McMurdo station used to drive Dodge Power wagons with big balloon tyres - I think we had one at Scott base as well. They seemed to be a good truck back then.

My old dad always said "If you can't afford a Dodge - dodge a Ford"
Maybe at one time, you can hear the newer ones rusting, even over the exhaust sound.
The recall affects 270254 2009-2012 Dodge and Ram 1500 pickup ... 270,000 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks recalled over wintry market rust concerns

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 05:13:37 AM »
Down in the Antarctic 1971 / 72 season , the Americans at McMurdo station used to ...
Whoa, haven't read many sentences starting like that.  The fam and I just finished the BBC's "Frozen Planet" documentary series last night.  You want to see real men acting like real men?  Check out Kolya men collecting sea bird eggs from a 300' cliff hanging by some dental floss in Chukotka Eastern Siberia.  That's when they aren't harpooning 3000lb walruses from a dingy.  Things get serious real fast at the poles.  Rock on folks.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 05:25:05 AM »
 I had old junk for many years...This was circa 2000...I built all the trucks from piles  of junk...

I sold the trucks one by one and then got into old Willys stuff, about 2005...The Cherokees in the background we still own

My wife in the 47 CJ2A

Sold my 68 Chevy K10 a few years ago...original 4 speed 4x4..

Having fun in the old Willys...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75289626@N08/8458916044/in/dateposted-public/

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 05:44:45 AM »
Rough Edge racing, don't know your first name, but damn, those are some pretty pictures!  :thumb:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 06:02:47 AM »
Rough Edge racing, don't know your first name, but damn, those are some pretty pictures!  :thumb:

Tony...Thanks...I had a few old trucks that are not shown above....

I built this mid engine thing for the friend who rides my race bike.. It's made from 1930's Ford stuff and pieces of whatever...It runs and drives ok.

And the double engine Triumph land speed racer three years ago....Yeah that me...

And the record holder land speed racer...

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:03:15 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 06:07:03 AM »
Tony, you wouldn't happen to do drag racing at Lebanon Valley raceway, would you?

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 06:44:13 AM »
Tony, you wouldn't happen to do drag racing at Lebanon Valley raceway, would you?

No, I have never been there. I drag raced bikes a bit in the 1970's near Rochester NY..I'm not actively doing the land speed racing right now..But I have a plan for using a modified Buell 9R engine in the 1000cc pushrod gas class...

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 06:51:44 AM »
No, I have never been there. I drag raced bikes a bit in the 1970's near Rochester NY..I'm not actively doing the land speed racing right now..But I have a plan for using a modified Buell 9R engine in the 1000cc pushrod gas class...
Ok, I see your up near the Great Lakes, the Valley is pretty far away from you.
I used to run a dirt car in the Valley, back when, then watch the drags next day.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 07:37:28 AM »
Ok, I see your up near the Great Lakes, the Valley is pretty far away from you.
I used to run a dirt car in the Valley, back when, then watch the drags next day.

My stepdad was a stock car racer back in the 50s there.. I raced drags for a few years in the late 80's. Still go once in a while. Its only about 20 min from me.
Paul B

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
My stepdad was a stock car racer back in the 50s there.. I raced drags for a few years in the late 80's. Still go once in a while. Its only about 20 min from me.
Better than NASCAR, that's for sure.  :thumb:

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
Any of you kids remember Model A trucks?  First sport truck, it would go places that a modern four wheel drive couldn't.  You could get stuck so far back in the bush that about the only way to get it out was to dissasemble the truck and carry it out. It's why we had horses....
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »
Any of you kids remember Model A trucks?  First sport truck, it would go places that a modern four wheel drive couldn't.  You could get stuck so far back in the bush that about the only way to get it out was to dissasemble the truck and carry it out. It's why we had horses....

I heard those stories...I also know from experience a proper 4x4, with tall skinny tires can go where the Model AA truck is stuck and pull it out, lol..

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here