Author Topic: A motorcycle thread (gasp) Ride reports please .  (Read 8298 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A motorcycle thread (gasp) Ride reports please .
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »
Bev and I took the toy hauler and the EV and camped in Western Michigan in South Haven.  Very scenic, nice riding. Nice place to be when the weather starts to get hot in south.  Great places to ride like Saugatuck and Grand Rapids.  The roads are OK but L Michigan, the scenery, climate and scenic towns are really nice.

I've not uploaded any photos otherwise, I'd show you.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
Photos from my ride in VA and WV yesterday. Late start and a leisurely breakfast in Marshall, VA meant I only covered 291 miles (90% backroads) for the day.

Taking a break, Edinburg Gap.

"Babbling brook", Liberty Furnace.

Liberty Furnace.

Views from CR12 (Howards Lick Rd) near Lost River State Park, WV.

Historical marker along Runnemeade Rd. near Bunker Hill, WV.

Same location.

Bunker Hill Mill.

Ol' George really got around!  :wink:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:18:52 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »
 Lovely country Charlie .

Dusty

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »
"riding season".  What strange words you speak, Dusty.  I grok not.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »

Offline Green1

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2016, 07:47:33 PM »
Me I taught 9 Motorcycle training courses this summer which puts me over 100 so far and I found as many of these things I could but im not done yet
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:49:12 PM by Green1 »
Never argue with an idiot, people watching can't tell the difference

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2016, 08:18:09 PM »
Exploring western NC - today's destination was Spruce Pine.  Started off this morning in bad fog.  It reminded me of why I use Honda Spray Polish to clean my Shoei visor - the water just beads off when you turn your head.  Patches of fog throughout the outbound leg of the trip.  Past Burnsville, last weekend's destination, then to Spruce Pine on Rt19.  Got there and saw a sign for Little Switzerland and knew that was another destination Cathy had heard about so one more leg.  Took 226 past a commercial strip then into the mountain roads.  Coming around one nicely banked curve I said slang words of amazement out loud - there was a view that opened up out of nowhere - something very special.  No time for gawking, but we'll go back to experience that vista again.
The bike ran perfectly and I resolved that I will be riding during the work week more - I do lots of miles over beautiful roads.  The far western counties on two wheels will be good for my spirits during the workday battles.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »
Just some photos from two weekends ago.  Exercised a few bikes with friends in the wilds of WV.

Dear Piaggio, please use this as a template.  Shove the V9 engine into a sub 500 lb ADV bike.

It really is lovely country. 

This thing is a rocketship.  Not so much a throttle as a rheostat.

He lost the run of himself.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 08:59:59 PM »
Just did a little under 700 and a ama flat track race. Ride report over.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 10:08:19 PM »
Made it Sequoia National Park this year - it's been on "the list" for a while.

The roads in the area are great fun.

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »
That looks like a great ride.
He lost the run of himself.

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
I would really like to get out and see the Sequoias. Thanks for the pics.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:15 PM »
It was a great trip. The roads are fabulous, and I am hoping to visit the Sierra Nevada Mountains once more before winter. Here's a shot that I took with the panorama feature on my phone - these are just mid-size sequioas. It is very difficult to convey the size of these trees in pictures - especially the really old massive ones. One thing that struck me - a few years ago a branch fell off the General Sherman tree (largest living thing on the planet). That branch was larger than any whole tree East of the Mississippi River.

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
 Great stuff guys  :bow:

Dusty

beetle

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2016, 04:52:29 AM »
We had a little pre Ragged Fringe Rally rally.

The trip up to Bretti was a ripper. It was a cold start at 0645 on Tuesday. Foggy and 4 degrees meant the heated gear was turned up high. I didn't stop at Bathurst to fuel up, because muggins here reckoned there'd be fuel along the way. I was at 150km since the last refill when I got to Wattle Flat. The sign on the general store with a single bowser said "last fuel for 90 km". I stopped. 91 RON only. Oh well. 60km later I passed a fully loaded service station. Humph. However, the trip through the Bylong Way was awsome. 25km/h corners emphasised the GRiSO's under steer, and following a knob in an Amarok at $1.50 across the flat bits was fun.

Around 1430 I stopped at Jerry's Plains for fuel and food. I had to remove another layer, because on the other side of the mountains it was cold and miserable, but here it was warm and sunny. Next stop, Gloucester.

I got to Gloucester a bit after 1700. Plonked in some fuel and headed to Bretti. With Tony's directions repeating in my head I noted the turn off to the reserve as I whipped straight past it. Oops.

Route.

Camp.

At the Nabiac pub.

There was enough butter in the mash to kill a Frenchman. It was magnificent!

I headed back home Friday, mid morning. I decided to turn right instead of left and head to Tamworth. Charlie did his best to install a map in my ECU (head).  I thought I might take some pics on the trip, as I was going to stop for the night somewhere. Yes, says Charlie, and added a lookout to my map. I zoomed past the lookout, just I like I did on Tuesday when I went past the reserve. 'There's the lookout' I said to myself as I raced past. There were BMW riders there. Eew!

Charlie's instructions were: 'Take the Tamworth/Nundle road. Turn right at the t-intersection. Do not go through Nundle'. I get to the t-intersection, left says 'Tamworth', right is a dirt road? WTF? Did he say the second t-intersection? Brain confused. A 'My wife will be here soon' moment. So I turns left. He did say it's a narrow, winding road. He wasn't wrong. When I got to the next t-intersection, I turned right. :D

Lunch at Tamworth, and fat for the rocket. I punch 'Wellington' into Apple Maps. A mistake, as it turns out. A blue route line appears on the map, and off I sets. 150m through the roundabout. No problems. Straight on for 13km. Two blocks later I come to a t-intersection. WTF? I pull over. The little arrow representing me is hovering in nothing. No map, just a grid. Curious. I turn around and head back the way I came. Little blue line reappears, but map does not. Still just a grid. It now wants me to turn right onto the New England Highway. I does.

I pootle along until it tells me to turn right, on the Merriwa road. Oh my God! All is good for several kilometres. Nice sweepers and some tight stuff. Then a sign announces 'Gravel Road'. Gravel road my narrow white arse! 20km of foul rocks the size of golf balls. Short sealed sections with a cattle grid right up 'twixt them. More wet gravel sludge on a winding narrow goat track.  I need big knobby tyres. If I go down, they won't find me until my corpse is a dessicated husk!  :shocked:  Not a road for GRiSO.  When I finally get to Merriwa I get off and kiss the Tarmac. 

I then relegate Apple Maps to the nether regions of my phone and download google maps.   :violent1:
I fuel up and choof off. Down through Gulgong and on to Wellington, where I spend the night.

Next day it pissing down. I set off at 0630. I stop at Cowra for some hot cocoa moo and vittles. And petroleum. By the time I get to Cootamundra I've got some leaks in my wet weather gear and my heated gloves can't compete with the rain. My hands and lips are cold (but my heart isn't black). Points if you get the reference. Water over the road in many places, and some roads are cut when I get close to home, requiring a few u-turns and detours. I rolled into the garage about 1130. My wife greeted me with a 'you smell'.  :laugh:

Route.

Ready to do it again next year.

Thanks to Mal (Malik) for the excellent cooking and help when my swag bag failed. The Tardis V7 is a wonder!

Thanks to Tony, Ron, Mal and Charlie for the great company and good fun.

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 05:37:12 AM »
Terrific and entertaining.  Don't speak English in Oz, do you ? It's its own beautiful thing.  :boozing:

Nick

Offline Green1

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
Found 3 more of these things,was a little work to get to some of them,still have some time to find some more before snow shuts me down.
Never argue with an idiot, people watching can't tell the difference

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2016, 10:38:26 PM »
Discovered Federal Rt 19W in NW NC and Eastern TN.  Challenging for my skill level but not exhausting.  Also, the road surface was well maintained and not too much gravel washout.  Not one vehicle in sight ahead of me or behind me for the 1 hour ride yesterday AM.  These lesser known mountain roads are amazing - you can have them to yourself.  No big critters seen but just missed a groundhog sprinting across the road.  Beautiful waterfalls, amazing mountain scenes, Pisgah forest - great stuff. 
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here